inverter rs Image

inverter rs

Multi reset on Error 276

Inverter reset itself when the below error popped up, but 20.0v is impossible as it's a 48volt battery system, after resetting Battery voltage is sitting at a healthy 50.9v. What is the cause.of this error. Comms loose, maybe?

[image]

Image Caption

[image]

redrum06 asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

Short circuit on VE.CAN bus?

i'm attempting to setup venus os on a raspberry pi and to connect it with a waveshare can hat to my RS smart solar.

A loopback from CAN0 to CAN1 on the raspberry worked excellent, communication worked and no errors are logged. Connecting to the inverter didn't work though.

I realized I didn't have a termination resistor on the inverter end (the raspberry board has one included on the board so thats why the loopback worked out of the box), so I made a canbus terminator .. and it burned up once I put it in the inverter. Literally sparked and melted away. I checked the power requirements out a bit and it should have been able to handle it, so I figured I messed up the terminator. I made a new one, that seemed to remain intact, but communication still didn't work.

Finally, I figured if the terminator is really no good I can use the raspberry at both sides, so raspberry can0 -> inverter -> raspberry can1. That would have 120 ohm termination resistors at both ends, and the loopback already was proven to work; this is just an extra node in between .. and as soon as I plugged it the second rj45 plug on the inverter end (same port that burned of the terminator before) it burned the raspberry CAN board.

I'm really confused, from what I read the CAN bus itself should be current limited and unable to damage itself even if you connect L to H, or even H to VCC. So even if I messed up the wiring (which I measured out before, 120 ohm termination confirmed on all parts), I wouldn't expect such catastrophic failure.

I'm ready to throw in the towel and get a cerbo gx with victron cables and what not just to get rid of the headache here, but I'm afraid the exact same thing will happen, if the inverter is actually the culprit and somehow the VE.CAN port is defective somehow.

Does anyone have an idea what went wrong and how I could check the correct functionality of the inverter VE.CAN port(s)?

patrickc asked
patrickc commented ·

1 Answer

RS 48/6000 battery SOC discrepancy between CCGX & Inverter

System is including:

1. RS 48/6000
  2. CCGX
  3. BYD LVS

RS 48/6000 is connected to the CCGX via VE.Direct

Problem: CCGX shows 49% SOC but Inverter shows 98%

Dose anybody know how I should fix this problem?

[image]

[image]

aydin-1 asked
wkirby commented ·

1 Answer

Inverter RS 48/6000 230V Smart Solar reliability and AC charging version

Doing some system planning for a global voyaging boat. The RS 48/6000 looks like a great solution because I can keep the AC system completely separate from AC shore power. In effect all AC loads will always be on inverter 100% of the time. This will eliminate voltage and frequency issues for when shore power by using separate AC battery chargers in combination with robust solar and alternators.

Questions:

1- I got feedback from a Victron dealer that "HF inverters" like the RS 48/6000 are less reliable and should not be used for full time. Suggested that reliability was not as good with HF designs and they can't handle extended use. Is this really true? I understand that many "Chinese" inverters are HF designs and may contribute to the opinion but is there something inherently flawed in an HF design making it not suitable for full time use? Any reason why a more traditional larger transformer design inverter may be a better choice?

2- Understand that you are launching a Multi RS Solar 48/6000/80-400/80 charger version in January. This sounds like the perfect solution for my setup. Are specs available for this? Key question is if the 80 amp AC charger is simply that, an AC charger and the AC input is isolated (all AC loads are 100% inverter). There is no relay correct? Reason I would want this is to enable global shore power (using an autotransformer) that is frequency independent. Also, is the MPPT charger output shared with the AC charger or is it completely independent?

robin-wessel asked
Herve RV Nizard commented ·

1 Answer

Inverter RS 48/6000 Smart vs MultiPlus II 48/5000/70-50

Just trying to make sure I fully understand the benefits and rationale behind the Inverter RS/6000 Smart vs sticking with the tried-and-tested MultiPlus II.

Are there any videos or other training material I've missed explaining the reasons for the shift to HF inverters away from the old LF technology?

The Victron marketing and training material used to highlight the benefits of LF inverters over HF ones, but I haven't seen anything yet explaining why that situation has now been reversed with the introduction of the RS series?

As best I can tell the only practical benefits of choosing the "Inverter RS 48/6000 Smart" over the "MultiPlus II 48/5000/70-50 are:

- 6000VA/4800-5300W (batt voltage dependent) vs 5000VA/4000W 'continuous' @ 25 deg C
- 100A battery charger vs 70A
- 11kg vs 30kg
Am I missing anything else?
I haven't seen any explanation for why Victron have changed their tune on HF being inferior to LF inverters for reliability?
I may have missed a press release or training video, if so I'd be grateful is someone could point me to a link...

fancourt asked
fancourt commented ·

1 Answer

Inverter RS Smart/Smart Solar (non-PV) AC battery charging via AC-out?

Hi everyone,

Have searched but can't find if anyone has asked this before...

First - a lot of the discussion on here about these RS inverters involves confusion between the "Inverter RS Smart/Smart Solar" and the "Multi RS Solar"...

I am talking about the former (without an AC-in), not the latter (with an AC-in).

According to the relevant manuals, both the "Inverter RS Smart/Smart Solar" and the "Multi RS Solar" are capable of supporting 100A battery charging via AC-coupled PV connected on their AC-out.

My question is this:

Is there any reason (DNO regulations notwithstanding) why this AC-coupled PV battery charging feature could not be (mis)used to enable mains (or generator) AC charging of the connected battery, provided that:

a) any AC-coupled PV was first disconnected from the system and
b) a mechanism was implemented to disconnect the mains/generator AC _BEFORE_ the Inverter RS attempts frequency-shift control at the point where the battery reaches the programmed absorption voltage?

This question is mainly to enhance my understanding of these products rather than for system design purposes. It would however be useful to know if this was an option as a temporary/emergency solution (generator rather than grid).

Obviously for a system design requiring mains AC battery charging the Multi RS Solar is the correct product choice.

Many thanks!

fancourt asked
fancourt commented ·

1 Answer

Multi RS Solar 48/6000 no full ESS assistant?

Hi, After trying to get Remote VeConfigure working (Enabled two way comms etc) to install the ESS assistant on the Multi RS Solar 48/6000 I am now getting mixed messaging about if this is even possible:

If I follow the ESS design and installation manual: (https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/ess-introduction---features.html) chapter 1.2 Components refers to the following link: https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers of where the Multi RS 48/6000 is listed.

The Victron Connect application on the phone also lists an "ESS" section where I can select 4 mode's: Optimized with/ w/o battery life, keep batteries charged and external control

At the local dealer I explained I already have installed an ET112 energy meter for measuring AC solar and an ET340 energy meter and the main grid feed-in to be able to allow for phase compensation (see 7.2. Single-phase ESS in a three-phase system in the ESS manual). According to the dealer this should be possible.

Can anyone clarify if I can use this Multi for full ESS capability? I can see Battery, Inverter, Energy meters in the Venus GS, The ESS screen in the Venus Gx keeps showing: "ESS wizard not found"

Looking forward to your feedback!

flashfire78 asked
gabius edited ·

1 Answer

Charging by means of sinewave inverter connected to Quattro AC-IN-1 (generator)

We have a vehicle (van) with a 12 V system and 4 kVA Quattro. We wish to supplement the 48 V (Pylontech) battery charge, when driving the vehicle, by charging the battery from the vehicle 12 V supply.

We have tried two different 1 kW 12 V to 230 V sine wave static inverters connected to AC-IN-1 (the generator supply to the Quattro). Despite adjusting the Quattro input current limit to minimum (4 A), shortly after the inverter supply to the Quattro is enabled the 1 kW inverter is destroyed. The output H-bridge at the output of the 1 kW inverter becomes damaged shorting the high-voltage supply in the inverter.

We believe that the Quattro inverter is essentially back-driving the inverter mains output (once the relay clicks in) and the phase alignment is lost as soon as the Quattro draws current from AC-IN-1 and loads up the 1 kW inverter.

Has anyone out there had any good experiences with charging from an inverter connected to the AC-IN-1 connection to the Quattro?

A potentially safer charging option may be utilising a battery-to-battery charger to charge the 48 V battery more directly using 48 Vdc. Unfortunately, Victron does not produce a 12 V-to-48 V B2B charger so we are considering Sterling Power unit. The Sterling B2B does not have a communications bus and is unable to communicate with the CCGX or Quattro. Therefore, we will effectively be charging blindly.

Would this possibly cause a charging conflict or race conditions with the Quattro when the B2B charger is on if the BMS is unaware that there is another charge source connected?

There’s also a mention of having to set the float voltage of secondary chargers slightly higher than the primary master charger in order to provide a clear cut off and resolve charging conflicts between the Quattro and the B2B charger. It is unclear if the B2B has a means of adjustment.

Barry Clark asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

Is there an inverter RS with 12V or 24V in the pipeline for campervan use?

It seems the Inverter RS is lighter (and smaller) than Multiplus, which would make it attractive for campervans

plusfortynine asked
Kevin Windrem commented ·

2 Answers

Multi RS Solar Hybrid - Self Consumption Optimization

I'm trying to choose an inverter for a PV self-consumption system with LiFePo4 batteries. The plan is to run on battery when SOC is above 20% and switch the loads to grid when SOC drops below 20%. The battery must NOT charge from the grid when the loads are on the grid.

The Multi RS looks like a good fit, but I could not figure out if it has the option to DISABLE GRID CHARGING and keep only PV charging.

I've read the manual but it does not say anything about this.
I've looked in the VictronConnect Demo Library but I didn't find the Multi RS there.

The manual does mention that the "backup generator" output can be configured to switch based on SOC and I think I can use it to connect / disconnect the grid at the AC Input using an external contactor.
But I'm concerned that the Multi RS will try to charge the batteries from the grid at night and I don't want that. It should wait until there's enough PV to charge it.

Does anyone know if Charging from Grid on Multi RS can be disabled?
Thanks!

mondeoman asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

5 Answers

RS 48/6000 inverter VRM data (Solar yield and Consumption)

Hi!

Would be great if anybody can comment if RS inverter is expected to have "Solar yield" and "Consumption" tabs at VRM Portal anytime soon.

As is apparent from here these tabs are only available for Multis and Quattros:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:faq

Currently RS data looks rather dull...

Would be grateful for any suggestions!

Regards,

Alex

Oleksandr asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

3 Answers

Scalable system with RS 48/6000

I have a RS 48/6000 connected with 1,6kwp Solar panels (4 panels on one string), Cerbo GX and 2xPylontech US2000C 48V batteries. Until I can afford expanding the Pylontech to 5x US2000C and extending the solar panels to 4kwp, I plan to run no higher loads then around 2000W.

I had the idea to secure this with a 10A Fuse between Load and the inverter, in order not to harm the batteries if the load requests more power ...

Is this a useful idea, or do I need to upgrade to 5x US2000C instantly ?

Thanks in advance

solarbeginner asked
solarbeginner commented ·

1 Answer

How to connect GX cerbo with Multi Rs Solar MPPT 450

Hello everyone,

my dad decided to exchange the hardware of his solar charger and batteries to Victron. I was not involved but after he realized that he can't deal with he setup, he reached out to me. my apologies right in the beginning for my silly questions, but in fact it's not plug and play and I need help.

The Multi RS Solar is connected to the solar panels and to the batteries, I did also establish the power line from the 230V grid, the output line of 230V is connected too. Except missing settings for the batteries, everything is running well. The wireless connection is established to house wireless through Bluetooth.

So far so good. But now I tried to connect the Cerbo GX with the Multi Rs Solar. The wireless is connected and I can remotely access the Cerbo GX.but there seems to be no connection with the Multi Rs Solar and when accessing the platform it's empty.

When I tried to connect Cerbo and Multi Rs I didn't find any circuit diagrams. I have tested RJ45 cables as well as CAN cable on several ports without success.

Please guys, can someone enlighten me and share details for the connection with me? there are no details and diagrams online that can answer my questions and I go slowly nuts.

thanks on advance

Elmar from Germany, Lower Saxony

elmar-streich asked
elmar-streich answered ·

2 Answers

Help with 3 phase grid tied solar system

We have a grid tied 10kw pv system... to date we have used just whatever produced power was available at the time without any storage or harvesting.

Due to the horrific jumps in energy cost we would love to harvest the energy to batteries, also we thought to take the low night rate available to boost the batteries while we sleep.

Is there an AC connected device that we could use without going to the large expense of a Powerwall or similar... I was struggling to find a device on here?

Also just to add to this.... I have a stack of little used motive batteries (lead/acid) left from a job, I know these don't compare to Li-ion but I have them so essentially they are free gratis... will any of the inverter charges be able to link to them?

Many thanks, Craig

craigeng asked
craigeng answered ·

8 Answers

MultiPlus 24/5000 not inverting from battery.

My MultiPlus 24/5000 has stopped inverting from the battery. Connected to shore power, all is fine, but unplugged, I get a low battery alarm, and the system immediately shuts down. The battery tests fully charged – actually overcharged at 28.2v, The same voltage enters the Multiplus, but nothing comes out.

zonderzorg asked
zonderzorg commented ·

1 Answer

64 Posts
46 Users
4 Followers

Topic Experts