Venus OS Image

Venus OS

Venus GX - FzSonick battery disconnecting and reconnecting after FW 2.72

After the firmware upgrade to version 2.72 of the Venues GX it no longer has a stable connection to the RS485-USB serial cable. The Serial cable is connected to the battery and the external smart meter. As a result the ESS stops and starts. No changes have been made to the cable or serial devices. The only change was firmware. If you log into the cat /data/log/dbus-fzsonick-48tl.ttyUSB0/current you can see the unit open the port connect and get data, then disconnect and start the process again.

Error

@40000000610ca1860d8186f4 changes['Text'] = self.GetText()
@40000000610ca1860d9950cc File "/opt/victronenergy/dbus-fzsonick-48tl/ext/velib_python/vedbus.py", line 474, in GetText
@40000000610ca1860da270bc return self._gettextcallback(self.__dbus_object_path__, self._value)
@40000000610ca1860dd730a4 File "/opt/victronenergy/dbus-fzsonick-48tl/dbus-fzsonick-48tl.py", line 169, in <lambda>
@40000000610ca1860df1e0ac gettextcallback=lambda _, v: sig.get_text(v))
@40000000610ca1860e1a8ad4 File "/opt/victronenergy/dbus-fzsonick-48tl/convert.py", line 86, in get_text
@40000000610ca1860e1e9dcc return "{0}{1}".format(str(v), unit)
@40000000610ca1860e21e98c UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xb0' in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
@40000000610ca18c052a6534 INFO:root:watchdog_task: killing main loop because update_task is no longer alive
@40000000610ca18c05460f3c INFO:root:gobject.MainLoop was shut down

imac asked
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

1 Answer

Venus OS - FzSonick battery RS485-USB not working with FW 2.73

Hello,

Since the new update, the victron rs485/usb cable between BMS and cerbo gx doesn’t work anymore. In FW2.65 there is no problem, downgrading the Fw from 2,72 on a new device to 2.65 is possible, however then vrm portal id goes blank and the WiFi doesn’t work anymore.

Ethernet connection works,

connection to vrm not,

(new eeprom reading in 2.65 not possible?) the bms has a driver within the OS and works stable on all cerbo gx’s until now.

Updating to 2.73 resolved WiFi, vrm id
Usb/rs485 - BMS doesn’t work

Any solution?

apollo-technics asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

1 Answer

Raspbian oder VenusOS

Hallo Powerlovers ;) ,

komme leider nicht mehr weiter und hoffe hier ein paar Anregungen zu bekommen.

Hatte bisher folgendes Setup in meinem, in die Jahre gekommen Wohnmobil.

Raspberry Pi mit:

• Raspbian
  • Node-Red
  • eine selbst gebastelte Gasflaschenwaage mit HX711 über die GPIOs (Node-Red)
  • Relais Steuerung meines Kompressors für Luftfederung über die GPIOs (Node-Red)
  • LED Steuerung über GPIOs (Node-Red)
  • RaspAp (Hotspot)
  • Huawei USB-LTE Stick

Nun hab ich mir den Victron SmartSolar Charger MPPT gegönnt und dachte ich könnte den problemlos über die USB Verbindung in Node-Red einbinden aber entweder finde ich nicht die passenden "Librarys“ um den Charger in Node-Red nutzen zu können oder es funktioniert nur über die Venus OS?

Nun habe ich Venus OS auf einer frische SD Karte installiert und der Charger wird sofort erkannt. Nun fehlen mir die folgenden Möglichkeiten die ich zuvor hatte.

Ist es möglich die folgenden Anwendungen in Venus OS zu realisieren?

• eine selbst gebastelte Gasflaschenwaage mit HX711 über die GPIOs auszulesen?
  • Relais Steuerung meines Kompressors für Luftfederung über die GPIOs anzusteuern?
  • LED Steuerung über GPIOs zu steuern?
  • einen Hotspot zu generieren?
  • Huawei USB-LTE Stick Mobiles Internet über den Hotspot zu verteilen?

Bin über jeden Hinweis Link usw. dankbar

Power UP!

Beatstreet

beatstreet asked
Jens Rephöhler answered ·

1 Answer

CANBus interface on GX
I have mainly a Victron system installed in a 5th Wheel RV; 1020W of Solar panels thru a 105V/100A MPPT solar controller, and a 12V/3000W/120A Inverter/Charger for shore side charging with a Bluetooth VE buss smart dongle. I installed it myself and used a MK2-USB to set up the Mulitiplus for the 500 Amps of AGM batteries I have. I also have a BMV-712 to monitor the system. I'm interested in upgrading to Lithium batteries and also adding one of the GX devices to be able to remotely monitor my system (I currently only use bluetooth locally).

I'm looking at Lithionics batteries, their internal BMS models have an output cable that supports RVIA RV-C and CANbus information, specifically it provides battery Voltage and Current data, battery Temperature and SOC data, remaining Ah capacity, desired charger state and charge specs, HVC and LVC status, total Ah capacity and current Power, accepts ON/OFF/Charge-ON commands and a few others. The link for the information specifications and protocols is here.

I've tried asking and looking around, but can't find anyone with answers. I would like to know if any of the Victron Venus GX or Color Control GX or Cerbo GX interfaces can accept this data from the Lithionics GTX12V315A batteries internal BMS using the CANBus data interface. And if all I would need is the Lithionics cable (75-H1FCR-CS2 Ampseal 8 Harness Kit), to plug into one of the GX's.

Also, is specific programming required for the GX?

green-monster asked
msmolow edited ·

4 Answers

Is Venus OS v2.80~33 stable enough to load - if not, when will the newest version be released? Waiting patiently

Any idea of when new Venus OS will be released? Is Venus OS v2.80~33 stable enough to load - seems from what I have been reading it might be. I am heading up to my very remote island cabin with 4 Ruvvi Tags I purchased based on the latest ZOOM training video and given the remote access I would like to set them up, as I may not get another opportunity before spring ....what do you recommend?

Michael Ziegler asked
Michael Ziegler commented ·

2 Answers

VE.CAN Solar Yield 'Yesterday' incorrect on VRM and Venus but Correct on Connect?

Hi,

For the last two Venus OS updates (V2.72 and V2.73) my two VE.CAN MPPT's solar yield yesterday total has always been stuck on the last highest yield, rather than yesterdays total yield.

Both VE.CAN MPPT's running Firmware V3.08

Although it displays properly for my VE.Direct MPPT and also displays on Victron Connect correctly, and seemingly the weekly totals etc are still correct, it's just for VE.CAN yesterdays yield is always the same, currently for the last few weeks they've been stuck at 3.37kWh and 3.75kWh respectively.

It's a minor point, but very handy at quick glance to compare when it works.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Will Venus OS V2.80 fix this? Or do I have another issue?

2way is on to look at my system.

Thanks

Al

Al asked
Al answered ·

1 Answer

BYD LVL 15.4 - High Battery Voltage Warning

Hi,

since 2 days i've connected new BYD LVL 15.4 (two units) to a single MP-II 48/5000 together with 2 MPPTs chargers. Installation and configuration went smootly, following the Victron provided docs. All components running the lastest SW and no connection problems exists. Since the initial full charge i saw Voltage Warnings from the BMU (and on the CCGX following) - the Battery voltage is displayed at 55.3V and thus slightly above the documented limit. I though that CCGX (venus) is dynamically controlling the DC voltage receiving the changing limits from the BMU ? Any other option to correct in order to avoid these warnings ?

best regards,

Martin

martghh asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) commented ·

1 Answer

Data Logging on External card not working ? FW 2.60

Hi everyone ! Not sure if I am missinhg something or misunderstood the way the data logging works with the Cerbo GX FW 2.60 and external storage. As you can see, the MicroSD 32GB is perfectly detected, but no record seems to be stored on it

[image]

The data is correctly sent to the VRM portal every minute, so not sure if the SD card is automatically flushed when the data is transferred to the VRM.

It will be interesting having it also stored on the MicroSD, so the data can be analyzed with other tools.

Thanks, Michel

michelg asked
Alain Ross answered ·

5 Answers

what is the lightest and most energy-saving hardware platform for venus os

what is the lightest and most energy-saving hardware platform for running venus os ?

i already using Raspberry Pi 3b+, but for my small solar panel with 20 watts the current consumption 0,3 A seems me to much.

mfreinf asked
Stefanie answered ·

2 Answers

AC IN shown as not available in VenusOS / VRM

I am new in using Victron products and is still at the very beginning of the learning curve. I have started setting up a 48V LiFeP04 battery system with a MultiPlus II 48/5000/70-50. Before the installation, I am now doing various tests to understand all the features and parameters of setting up the MP-II. I encountered a number of problems, and the seller of the MP-II was not able to help at all (I sent them the questions, they said that they have no training on technical support and agreed to forward the questions to Victron…and then no result even after my chasers….) I have to say that I feel frustrated and hope that the community here can help.

One of the problems I encountered is the missing of AC IN shown in the dashboard of VenusOS/RPi and VRM. To demonstrate this problem in a simple and easily repeatable way, I put the MP-II as follows:

• in CHARGE ONLY mode (i.e., with the main switch in II position)
  • no connection at AC-Out 1 and 2
  • the only connection is the AC IN and the battery terminals
  • no virtual switch or assistant installed
  • charging current limits were set at 18A AC and 70A DC

(Note: The same problem also occurred in the other settings and the AC IN were also shown as not available in VenusOS/VRM.)

Below are the screenshots of VEConfig, VictronConnect, VenusOS/RPi and VRM during the charging.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

You can see that the AC IN could be shown correctly in VEConfig and VictronConnect. However, in the VenusOS/RPi and VRM screen, the AC IN was shown as not available. The VRM screen even displayed the alert "AC-Input Not available" while it was using the AC-Input to charge the battery pack!

Can anyone help to explain why the AC IN was shown as not available and how the problem can be solved?

elel asked
elel commented ·

2 Answers

ESS Controlling feed in limiting externally

I want to store energy in my battery bank and only start feeding it back to the grid when electricity is most costly to maximise my profit. Is there a way to control the export limiting in a GX device externally? I have software which can monitor the price of electricity and it needs to control the export to grid based on the price of export electricity.

carel-burger asked
d3-energy answered ·

1 Answer

VRM Dashboard: Why isn’t bulk charging show toward the battery?

When bulk charging is in effect in Venus OS on Raspberry Pi 4 B with SmartSolar 100/20 MPPT system, the charging line is not animated toward the battery. Instead, the animated line is directed to the upper icon. Does this mean that either the Venus OS or MPPT are not properly configured? If so, what changes do I need to make?

This is a DC only off-grid system in which AC inputs and loads are not present.

[image]

ckamps asked
ckamps commented ·

1 Answer

Phoenix smart inverter vs Multiplus II

I think this question was asked before but there was never a clear answer and I did not see anything specific in the documentation.

Are there any functional support differences for supported CANbus connected batteries between the Phoenix Smart inverter series (e.g. 24/5000) and the Multiplus II when used with a Venus OS device?

Making some design choices and considering a Phoenix smart 24/5000 with multiple Skylla-IP65's instead of the Multiplus II and ant its internal charger and isolation transformers. Would like to utilize a REC BMS to control the inverter and charger enable/disable and rate.

robin-wessel asked

0 Answers

Old multiplus cannot change state or current limit from venus os

I have an old multiplus compact 12/800/35 with old processor and firmware updated to 1903209 (original is 1903141) connected with mk3-usb to raspberry pi running venus os 2.80~29. no other ve.bus devices connected

The problem is that I cannot control the inverter state or change the input current limit remotely. Even when I connect the mk3-usb to computer and use ve.configure 3 virtual panel, none of the virtual switches work.

If I communicate directly with mk3-usb using commands from this link:https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1096/mk3-usb-s-state-command-does-not-change-panel-swit.html

I can successfully switch the inverter on/off and change the input current limit.

What I noticed is that the inverter name in venus os is "phoenix multi compact 12/800/35-16" which is not exactly correct as it is not phoenix branded but propably doesn't matter. Also ModeIsAdjustable is zero in dbus which indicates that the remote inverter mode change is not supported?

Should this work or is the multiplus too old? Also I am not sure if I set the dip switches correctly. Now they are set to use the main switch on the inverter as if set otherwise I cannot turn the inverter on.

ileeezi asked
ileeezi answered ·

2 Answers

Two Multiplus II in series

[image]

I am working on installing a Multiplus II 48/5000 at my home, where I already have an on-grid photovoltaic inverter SMA Sunny Boy 4kW and I have some questions I haven't found answers anywhere:

1. Is it possible to install two Multiplus II inverters in series (one of them connected to the other critical loads output) with non-shared batteries? How should I configure them? That would enable me to add a new Multiplus II in the future with another new battery on grid-parallel mode connected to first Multiplus II critical loads output.

1.1 If 1. question is possible, should I configure second one to not exporting to grid? Or first one could use frequency shifting (or similar) to control how much energy could export the second one?

1.2 Continuation of 1.1 question. Would be possible to have SMA Sunny Boy 4kW connected to the same critical loads output than second Multiplus II, having both controlled by frequency shifting? Or that is not possible as maximum power would exceed Multiplus II maximum power?

It appears a similar configuration could be done by using CerboGX large firmware, to be able to use Node-red to control some inputs:
- first Multiplus II critical loads frequency (could be updated depending on first Multiplus II is able to receive more power from critical loads or it cannot accept many more
- first Multiplus II AC In grid status (availabe/not available)
And to be able to control some things:
- second Multiplus II power exportation limit, being configure to 0 power exporattion into second Multiplus II if grid on first Multiplus II is disconnected

I've seen some other questions about similar solutions, but they were trying to control batteries load between two Multiplus II at the same time at the same battery load. I'm not interested on that. What I'm looking for is to:
1. If second Multiplus II (with AC In connected to first Multiplus II critical loads AC OUT) has batteries fully loaded, then it will share power with the other one if the other requires it; if the other doesn't require it and external grid is connected, power could be exported to grid; and if the other doesn't require it and external grid is disconnected, 0 power export should be configured into second Multiplus II
2. If first Multiplus II (connected to grid and with second Multiplus II connected to it's critical loads AC OUT) has batteries fully loaded, if second Multiplus II requires power, first Multiplus II can provide that power as if it were coming from real grid

tcircuns asked

0 Answers

AC loads not correct (VA instead of W?)

Hi

I have setup a RPI4 running Venus OS.
I have a Victron Shunt, Victron Inverter, Victron MPPT all connected with usb.

As you can see below it says I have a DC power of 118W (I don't have a DC Power)

[image]

Below is from my shunt showing 332W. (I have measured it and get the same result)

[image]

Below is a screenshot from the inverter showing 465VA (not W).
I think the 460W on the first image is actually 460VA and not 460W.

[image]

Is there a way for me to change the setup or ?

Please help :)

msaaby asked
Alexandra edited ·

1 Answer

more output power needed for off-grid system with a multiplus

Hello, I am a leader of a boy scouts group in Belgium and last year I got the chance to build a portable solar energy unit which will be used for our summer camps to power fridges, lights and charge electronics.

This unit consists of solar panels, a smartsolar MPPT, a lead-gel battery bank and a victron multiplus 48/1200/13-16 inverter. I also added a raspberry pi running the venus os software to amulate a GX device. This raspberry pi is connected to the MPPT and the Multiplus using a ve.direct and ve.bus cable.

The setup works great, but there is a problem of having only limited output power and peak power (1000W and 2000Wp) because of the relatively small multiplus choice. This caused the inverter to sometimes turn off when too much power was drawn from it, for example when turning on multiple fridges at once. To remedy this, we are looking to upgrade the output side of our setup by adding an additional inverter. What I currently see as possibilities and their limitations:

- Adding another multiplus 48/1200/13-16 in parallel. This would be the cheapest option and would double the output power and peak power. However, as these small multiplus devices have only 1 ve.bus port, I would be unable to daisy chain both inverters together and to the raspberry pi, so I don't think this would be an option unless if I step away from the GX functionality.

-Adding a Phoenix inverter to the battery bank: As this would lead to a totally separate operation from the multiplus, this would lead to 2 separate AC output: one high power from the Phoenix and one lower power from the original Multiplus. This is quite confusing for people not familiar with power electronics who will be operating the mobile energy unit in the future. It also makes the original Multiplus quite redundant as the phoenix inverter will probably be capable of running the whole all the loads. This would make the Multiplus into an overqualified battery charger, only used to charge the batteries before we leave for the camp using the grid. This would also be more expensive than the other option.

-Not sure about this one, but I read about cascading inverters and I am wondering if I could cascade two multipluses together without linking them with a ve.bus cable. The first multiplus would take power from the battery bank and supply it to the second multiplus. The second multiplus would however have to be configured to not charge the batteries and only discharge them, because otherwise it would create a loop of charging and discharging the same battery bank. I'm also wondering if the output power of the second multiplus is limited to 1000W continuous, or if this 1000W is only the power it can draw from the batteries and, once supplied with input power, the total power it can deliver increases by the input power amount.

As you can see, all of these options have their downsides and I would like to know the thoughts of some people more familiar with Victron products on them, as well as maybe some other suggestions?

jowan asked
shaneyake commented ·

2 Answers

Trigger / read alarm(s) on Venus GX

I wish to trigger the alarm(s) on the Venus GX based on a Python script to generate an SMS to be send by the modem. I'm not permanently connected to my mailbox but a GAS alarm, I wish to be informed immediately.

I have already a small experience on the venus with py. I have implemented a script that monitors the modem to re-enable data automatically when the operator use PPP and disconnects after a couple of days.

So looking after ideas how to read alarms or to be triggerd by alarms.

philippe asked

0 Answers

MPPT search with Multiplus 2 48/5000 and Trina moduls

Hello !

I want to install one Multiplus 2 48/5000

with Trina TSM-400 DE09.08 Panels 400WP

should i use 12 panels 4800wp or 15 panels 6000wp

the direction is south west without any shade

with the 15 panels i could run 2 option's

3S5P 123V 46,9A with a 150/70 MPPT

15 Panels in 5S3P 206 V 28A with 250/60 MPPT

or is that better to install only 12 Panels !?

what should i add in the mppt caculator on this 2 points V Temp.-Koeff. [%/°C]

I Temp.-Koeff. [%/°C

the whole system is running later with 2 Pylontech, EM24 as a grid parallel island

thanks for your Help i'm doing that the first time :)

Bye Andre

andre12 asked
andre12 answered ·

3 Answers

Victron Remote Console on Head Unit (Cerbo GX and Android Car Audio interface)

Hi guys. Anyone managed to get VRC to work on your car audio interface? I came across this YT video on the Venus GX and was wondering if Cerbo GX interface could be accessed via an Android car audio interface?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z4LXSleErw

Any tips on how to do this would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

mako74 asked
wildebus commented ·

1 Answer

VRM data source for Grafana

Is it possible to get the data source into an existing grafana solution... without installing the composed file with grafana?

tomas-sailing asked

0 Answers

Venus GX (Cerbo) configuration - import/Upload to multiple system production line!

We have a contract to build a large number of off-grid systems (all Victron products) rolling out well in excess of 100 systems over the next few months. The systems are identical. We use VE.Config to set up the Multis but the Cerbo setup has to be done manually via a T50. It's slow and tedious with various parameters/settings needing input into each system. Is there a way or could there be a way to upload a Venus OS config to the Cerbo to speed up the process? (how about an OS.Config/OS.Config Remote via VRM App!). @mvader (Victron Energy)

colins asked
Paul B commented ·

0 Answers

RTC with Venus OS on Raspberry

Hi, can anybody help me to integrate the RTC module DS3231 on Raspberry VenusOS.

i found an how to, but for Raspbian. this is not the same.

so is there any documentation how to add a RTC module to VenusOS?

thanks

strider asked

0 Answers

trouble with ET340 connection by new Zigbee 485(DRF2659c), USB (DRF2658c) module

Hi there,

please, let me ask for help if possible with the new zigbee RS485 (DRF2659C) and USB(DRF2658C) module that I would like to use for wireless connection of ET340 to Venus OS.

I have trouble with them to be recognized be Venus OS (2.73 and 2.80). I find out that zigbee modules come with quite new firmware v8.5 and it has ID_MODEL=USB_Serial, that I have adjusted in "serial-starter.rules", in "start_cgwacs.sh" and I have played around also with serial-starter.conf. Without success till now.

When I do wired connection all works well and ET340 is recognized as device ID:345 with 2571291A number and is visible by Venus OS . See screenshot 1.

When I set it with zigbee, there is no info about find cgwacs device. See screenshot 2.

Any suggestion what I could try is welcome? Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hynek

1. Wired connection

[image]

2. Zigbee connection

[image]

3. USB-zigbee module

[image]

hsaman asked
dennisawd answered ·

2 Answers

USB GPS Module has Speed recorded on Venus OS When Vehicle is Stationary ??

Help please ?

Set-Up is Raspberry Pi 3 with Venus OS publishing to vrm site and there is a USB GPS plugged into the Raspberry Pi 3.

This is in a stationary vehicle. Why do I see a Speed published on the VRM portal ?

[image]

Thanks in Advance
Robert

grunkern asked
kevgermany answered ·

6 Answers

Expected traffic to the mqtt{1 to 128}.victronenergy.com server farm?

I am running Venus-large and have a fairly extensive Node-Red flow consisting of about 100 nodes. My router is reporting a permanent TCP/IP session with one of the mqtt{1 to 128}.victronenergy.com servers with constant traffic of just over 10 kbit/s upload and just under 1 kbit/s download. This seems high to me but maybe it's because of my 100-node flow. Is this level of traffic to be expected?

paulcooper asked
paulcooper answered ·

1 Answer

Equivalent AC (PV) Inverter support on SMA as on Fronius systems

Hi,

given the sunspec (modbus) support the current 3p SMAs have, could i expect an equivalent set of features and integration options as Fronius systems have already in the past ?

martghh asked
robert-campbell answered ·

2 Answers

VE.Bus BMS and Multiplus, remote switch off off Multiplus

Good afternoon,

Is there any configuration or assistant that can be applied that will allow for a remote switch off of the MultiPlus when used with the VE.Bus BMS and Cerbo GX. I know that in this configuration a DMC will allow this to happen, but I really do not want yet another panel to install (cost and space). I had hopped that a switch between the Left and Middle pins of the remote switch on the main board would work, but no luck. I am sure at some stage the ability to turn the inverter on and off through the Cerbo will be available, just as it is when no VE.Bus BMS is used.

My reason for asking is that when I leave the boat the MultiPlus, even with AES applied has been the biggest parasitic load causing a drain of 158Ah in just a week. Having turned the Multiplus off at the switch on the front the parasitic load has dropped to just under 0.2A. With the Multiplus on and in ~AES Search mode the system was drawing between .4A and .8A, occasionally going as high as 1.2A.

OK, I know I can turn the inverter off on the front panel, but that is a pain due to it's location.

bathnm asked
cpurchas commented ·

6 Answers

Problem with energy fluxes in Venus

Hi, I'm just proving a system for my van and I have a problem with the amps shown in the screen of the Venus iOS.

The system is formed by a Phoenix inverter 12/500, a solar charger and a smartshunt with diy LiFePo4 battery.

As it seems in the screenshots the phoenix is injecting energy to the battery (23 VA) but the smart shunt doesn't count them, of course.

Any solution?

Thx!

[image]

Image Caption

[image]

solifoc asked
JohnC answered ·

1 Answer

PV Charger (100/50 MPPT) discrepancy between battery charger (smartshunt) DC POWER / consumption seems to Exponentially rise with the pv power

I’ve been trying to understand why there seems to be a relationship between the higher watts pulled from the pv charger and the consumption that rises from the higher pv charger watts state. I’m losing about half of my watts to this anomaly and only getting about half the intended amount of charge, I’ve disconnected my dc system and it still shows this bizarre anomaly that when the pv charge rises so does then the dc power/ consumption I’m losing so much power?! Screenshots taken minutes apart.

[image]

aidanmowen asked
aidanmowen answered ·

1 Answer

869 Posts
398 Users
22 Followers

Topic Experts

markus
440 Points
Stefanie
352 Points