question

solarworld-tt avatar image
solarworld-tt asked

Would it be possible to parallel two RS 48/6000 Inverters?

Can the RS 48/6000 Inverter be paralleled with another RS 48/6000 Inverter to increase capacity?

inverter rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

UPDATE 2023-5-26: fw v1.12, that adds parallel and three phase capability for the Inverter RS (not yet Multi RS) was released last week. Includes parallel redundancy. For now see changelog; and in a few days we’ll announce on https://professional.victronenergy.com/news/ as well. Next up is three phase for Multi RS, which is expected to take take a while.

Hi all,

Making paralleling and three-phase (for now only for the Inverter RS) took quite a bit longer than anticipated, but we're quite far now. I expect an official firmware release that adds that, as well as has a series of other improvements and fixes, within a few weeks.

Adding three-phase support for the Multi RS, and thereafter parallel, are the next things to make, which will take quite a while again, I expect another 4 to 8 months.

Matthijs

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

update: v1.12 is now released, adds parallel and three phase for Inverter RS including parallel redundancy. In a parallel system its also possible to fw update without loosing AC out. See my above edit

1 Like 1 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks that's very useful

Please pass on my thanks to all involved.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ nesswill commented ·
Will do!
0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·

Thanks that's great

Will this be for both the Inverter RS Smart 48/6000 & the Inverter RS 48/6000 230V Smart Solar

Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, no. Thats not possible at the moment. Currently, the Inverter RS is for stand alone use only.

4 comments
2 |3000

Rune Eilertsen avatar image Rune Eilertsen commented ·

We really see big potential if the rs 6000 gets parallel and 3phase support....

We will buy many, many :-), hundreds ... each time... :-)... :-) (if else work great with great sinus out....)

0 Likes 0 ·
loxley avatar image loxley commented ·

Hi Matthijs,

What does the mention of connecting the MPPT RS in parallel, as per the latest Victron Video (with @Guy), refer to? Here's the timestamp: https://youtu.be/toQ5vgGnCio?t=277

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ loxley commented ·

that you can put two MPPT RS Solar charger in parallel. Different product: paralleling the output of a solar charger is simple, it can even be done without charge state synchronisation.

Unlike the original question: paralleling output of an inverter together requires syncing the sinewave.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

ps, forgot the niceties: Hi Loxley! :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
the-master avatar image
the-master answered ·

Does someone have an update on if/when a firmware update will be released which will allow parallel operation of the Inverter RS?

This seems like a no-brainer!

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, being able to operate the Inverter RS in parallel, split- and three-phase it will happen some day. Using the VE.Can comms port.

It might be in 2022 or maybe in 2023. Its clearly something we want and are working on.

Note that hopefully it works on existing hardware, but can also be that we need to make changes in the hardware to allow safe and proper paralleling and/or three phase. And then existing units won’t be able to do that. Only time will tell.

All the best, Matthijs

1 Like 1 ·
drcoolzic avatar image
drcoolzic answered ·

Any progress on the subject?

2 |3000

nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

I too would like to know when this will be possible.

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

@DrCoolZic and @nesswill,

Mvaders information is still accurate - all that is new is that we have internal testing firmware, and live tests underway - but there is no more information than that as to existing hardware compatibility or timelines.

We really want to be certain it is reliable before announcing support - so while we want it, the process may still take some time.

2 comments
2 |3000

Any update please?

Thanks Dave.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Guy,

any update please as i will need to either get a more powerful inverter or parallel two RS 48/6000 Inverters, willing to help-out with any testing if you like. (will need something by the end of June 23)

Thanks Dave,

0 Likes 0 ·
gartenruhe avatar image
gartenruhe answered ·

I have a similar question regarding Rs48/6000 in parallel operation.
Is syncronized loading at least possible? If yes, what do I have to do ?

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Gartenruhe

No. The inverters cannot be connected or paralleled in anyway to make 6000x2 output power.

However you can separate housing DB circuits and run two separate systems each handling their loads independently.

1 Like 1 ·
gartenruhe avatar image gartenruhe Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Yes, I know that synchronized AC Out is not possible. My question was actually whether synchronized loading is somehow possible?

0 Likes 0 ·
gartenruhe avatar image gartenruhe gartenruhe commented ·

I have now found out how I can at least manage synchronized charging with 2 of my 2 RS48/6000.

Connect VE.CAN directly to each other and terminate the open CAN slots. For both, make sure that the NMEA 2000 device instance is the same. ( under product info in the app )

Both should now have double arrow symbols appearing on the display and flashing regularly.

A common device output is then also displayed in the app. I then connected the Vsens cable to the common busbar with an RS48/6000, ; now the charging voltage is also synchronized.

-1 Like -1 ·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

Hi guys thanks for the new firmware, looks good.

I will get another Inverter at the end of June and give it a go.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic