question

nesswill avatar image
nesswill asked

Inverter RS Smart 48/6000 firmware v1.12

Hi guys, first off thank you very much for the update this means i can parallel two of these now and that is very useful.

Do you have a list of improvements please as i have noticed a few small differences and would like to see what's been done as i don't want to waist peoples time by posting questions that can be answer by a release note...(cant seem to find one - sorry)

Cheers.

inverter rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @nesswill

Official release notes are available in Victron Professional.

The updated manual and spec sheet will be published shortly.

A short list of changes in RS v1.12

Changes applying to Inverter RS only:

- Add support for AC output parallel and 3-phase operation.

Changes applying to Inverter RS and Multi RS only:

- Fix false-positive over-charge protection (error #29).

- Fix false-positive PV riso protection (errors #41 and #42).

- Remember the operating mode (on/off/inverter only) during a firmware update. Instead of always switching On after a firmware update.

- Fix PV panel power/current readout in case the MPPT converter is off, there can still be current present if the panel voltage is too high.

Changes applying to Multi RS only:

- Add pass-through mode, this closes the AC input relay while the inverter/charger remains off, the MPPT charger remains active. Settable in VictronConnect.

- Add 'External control' support, this allows for self implementation of a control loop by controlling the AC power set-point dynamically.

- Improve inverter PLL to prevent frequency jumps when the AC input is connected or disconnected, this could trigger a PV inverter disconnect.

- Ignore conditional AC disconnect in sustain mode and inverter shutdown due to allow-to-discharge signal.

Changes applying to Multi RS dual-MPPT (PMR482602020) only:

- Fix relay test sequence.

- Remove PE-Neutral monitoring.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nesswill avatar image nesswill commented ·
Thanks Guy very helpful.
1 Like 1 ·
pettorin avatar image pettorin commented ·

Good day Stewart,

please note that on Inverter RS Smart Solar, with latest firmware update is not possible to change the operating mode from "on" to "Inverter only", from both app and VRM.

screenshot-2023-08-08-122906.jpg

In addition differently from MPII, RS Smart Solar never had in VRM the respective flag status for Inverter and Solar Charger but only a single flag by the inverter that is serving both functions in confusing way. Would be nice to have it corrected !

screenshot-2023-08-08-123152.jpg

Thank you for your attention !

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ pettorin commented ·

Hi @pettorin

The VRM and Venus team is still working on bringing full support to the Inverter and Multi RS.

It does things quite a bit differently to our existing range (it’s the first inverter/charger that uses VE.Can).

While this means many advantages and more potentials in the future, it also means a lot of work bringing the 100s(!!) of existing features and integrations that we’ve built over a decade for the VE.Bus models to the new format.

It might be some time before the feature set is equivalent - but we are committed.

1 Like 1 ·
pettorin avatar image pettorin Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Appreciated !
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @nesswill,

Here is a late stage draft of the new chapter on the programming of parallel Inverter RS units.

It will be published in the normal documentation shortly along with the physical installation details, but as there are now some specific private messages from users that are asking for it now, I am happy to share it, and even would appreciate any feedback you have.

There is still more to come and what you see here is not yet complete;

147619-Parallel_programming.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you Guy.

When i have it setup i will let you know.

Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

Oh my word, it must be Christmas again :) this is great news, particularly the parallel operation on the inverter RS.

Is the parallel operation coming to the Multi RS as well (which is what I'm more interested in)?

5 comments
2 |3000

A conditional yes.

It is simpler for the engineers to sync just the inverter than both the inverter and charger (and ac input relays).

They are working on 3 phase and parallel support for Multi RS next.

There are other challenges and there might be other limitations.

The intention is there, but until it is done, I cannot say 100% for sure.

Edit - As an update to this initial intention we now already see one limitation - feed-in for three phase systems is only going to work with the new two-tracker models. The older single-tracker Multi RS variant, when configured for three-phase, will not get the feed-in feature.

Other limitations may also arise as we develop and test the feature, and at this time nothing can be assumed.

3 Likes 3 ·
nesswill avatar image nesswill Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks for the update Guy.
0 Likes 0 ·
espindola avatar image espindola Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

What about the "Inverter RS 48/6000 230V Smart Solar"? Is parallel and 3 phase also supported? Can solar and non-solar models be mixed?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ espindola commented ·

Hi @espindola,

Inverter RS Solar also supports parallel and 3 phase.

Yes, you can mix solar and non-solar Inverter RS models in parallel and 3 phase installations.

However mixing Inverter RS with Multi RS is not currently supported.

2 Likes 2 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image semlohnhoj Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
My birthday is in 9 days, I have 2 Multi RS Solar's and I keep scanning for new firmware with parallel support..... Just saying :)
0 Likes 0 ·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Hi Guy.

I will be installing the second inverter in the next few days so was wondering please if there is a full set of updated instructions ready?

Thanks.

2 |3000

Hi @nesswill,

The English language version of the documentation that includes the parallel programming for the Inverter RS Solar is here:

11676-Inverter_RS_Smart_Solar-pdf-en.pdf

It is now being is now being translated into other languages.

There is only a brief window of time where that link is the most up to date manual, maybe until a week from today.

For anyone else that might be seeing this in the future - please get the latest version of the manual from here - https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters/inverter-rs-smart-solar#manuals

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Thanks Guy doing it tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes

Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
semlohnhoj avatar image
semlohnhoj answered ·

Well I noticed that v1.13 of the firmware was available for the Multi RS Solar today which now seems to have support for parallel and three phase! Huge thank you for that one Victron (missed my birthday by only 3 days, which is close enough :) ).

This obviously raises lots of questions. I've read the preliminary documentation for the Inverter RS which only has a mains output and doesn't have mains inputs to deal with so I'm guessing their are rules I need to apply regarding that. Also, does this release add Grid feed in which were hinted at coming in future releases? (Nothing obvious in the settings)

I guess what I'm looking for is the documetation to accompany the update if anything is available yet?

Is this worth opening up as a separate question?

2 comments
2 |3000

semlohnhoj avatar image semlohnhoj commented ·
Hmmm. Ok, I just read the release notes on Victron Professional and it says the update is only for three phase on the Multi RS at present and only with three units. So no parallel operation although the option is in the settings in Victron Connect?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ semlohnhoj commented ·
Hi @Semlohnhoj,

The 1.13 firmware release for Multi RS only adds support for 3 phase configurations, and not parallel (either single phase or 3 phase).

The options in VictronConnect will get an update in the next version of VictronConnect to remove the visibility of the parallel programming options - consider that a bug and thanks for reporting it.

More documentation for 3 phase support of the Multi RS is still underway.

Grid feed-in is not yet ready either, specifically the grid code compliance that would permit grid feed-in is not yet ready.

2 Likes 2 ·
nesswill avatar image
nesswill answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Hi Guy.

All up and running both inverters sharing the load.

I just want to confirm i have this correct, with Prevent CAN network islanding disabled if one inverter fails, turned off or has a firmware update the other inverter will keep the AC on so no loss of mains power. (i have not turned off one inverter with Prevent CAN network islanding disabled to see what happens yet bt will when convenient)

If i turn on Prevent CAN network islanding and turn off one inverter the other inverter powers off too (stays on but turns the load off so no AC power) i take it this is correct?

p1.jpg

Sorry if this is a stupid question i just want to make sure i am understanding this.

Thanks.

p1.jpg (39.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Robinson Crusoe avatar image
Robinson Crusoe answered ·

hello,

below it says that the Multi RS supports meter and therefore need a beta firmware.

I have installed 1.13, where can I find the beta to test it?

"Meter support" sounds like Grid feedin is coming :)

2023-11-01-21h41-25.png

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Robinson Crusoe,

There isn't a public beta for the RS just yet, I'll find out what the plan is.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @Robinson Crusoe,

Once the RS beta with Victron Energy Meter support is ready I will post a link to it in the modifications space.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic