question

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 asked

Help understanding inverter internals

Hi,

I'm curious how the internals of the inverters work and how multiplus differs from newer RS models. Can someone confirm if my understanding it on the right track or not?

As I understand it in the transformer based models (multiplus) low voltage DC from battery is converted to high frequency AC using IGBT's? (or is it Mosfets?), and then transformed to step up the voltage to 240vac.

The grid synchronisation and amount output is managed by the switching rate and duration of the IGBT's? Is that correct?

Then the transformer less RS models. Rather than using a transformer the DC voltage from battery is boosted to high voltage DC and then similar inverting process occurs? Is that correct?

But if power is coming from PV it's bucked then converted? Assuming that's correct how is the balance between PV and battery managed.

If load > PV then you need a little extra battery. When do those two sources meet. Is it after buck/boost but before inverting?

(Apologies for beginner queries/if I'm miles off).

Multiplus-IIinverter rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Thanks, did i miss it or was that just multiplus/transformer based.

The RS/transformerless topology not mentioned?

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Correct, that is specific to the transformer models. So that is one piece of the puzzle. I doubt the RS is wholly different to typical transformer-less systems. Will see if I can find anything for the RS specifically.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Do you know if my understanding above is how typical transformer-less systems work? Sorry I'm pretty new to understanding electrical components. Often hard to google these things an get a concrete answer. Instead you tend to guides on how to install rather than understanding internals.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic