question

sunblocks avatar image
sunblocks asked

Best off grid option

Now one step closer to realising my off grid project.

I have built a low tech and low cost modular mounting for my pv panels. Each panel is 450W 49v.

photo1715248252.jpeg

As it is modular, i can extend and add more panels to achieve the optimum configuration. Currently 7 panels - 3.1kW

I am now looking for advice on the best controller and inverter package and this model seems to fit the bill - Inverter RS Smart Solar 48/6000

Would be interested to hear thoughts on suitability.

offgridinverter rs
photo1715248252.jpeg (293.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@sunblocks

Have one, love it.

Do your tanks under the panels have weight in them (sand/water). Solar panels are amazing wind catching devices...

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sunblocks avatar image sunblocks commented ·

@Alexandra the recycled IBC tanks were used in the design because they can be filled with water to ensure the panels don't fly away!

Do you know what the minimum battery spec that can be connected to Smart Solar 48/6000? I hope to keep the battery costs to a minimum.

I ask because the load will be connected during daylight hours and when the sun shines... all part of the project.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ sunblocks commented ·
@sunblocks

If you are using lithium....

A battery that can discharge 125A continuously at least. With peaks of 180/90A.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Inverter RS Product page.

Inverter RS Online Manual.

Inverter RS Datasheet.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic