busbar Image

busbar

DC consumer fuses/breaker

The Wiring Unlimited guide says that all DC consumers (load) need an individual fuse. I have about 10 DC consumers that I was planning on splitting into 3 groups and have an appropriate sized breaker for each of the 3 groups. Is this sufficient, or do I still need fuses on all 10 individual consumers? Also, is there any disadvantage to have the individual fuse right after the positive comes off the positive bus bar than directly before the load (consideration for changing blown fuses)?

adrianp105 asked
christern answered ·

2 Answers

One Bus Bar set for Multiple Arrays and Controllers?

Hi all, I've designed my system to have three (3) PV arrays (one east facing, one west, and one south - all 18v max @ 100w) - the eccentricities of the area required this odd combination to achieve the desired output. I have three SmartSolar MPPT 75/15s that I intend to connect to a Cerbo GX with VE.Direct cables. It is my understanding that I need the Cerbo with arrays facing different orientations and drastically different performance throughout the day. All of my loads will be 12v DC, so I will not be using an inverter. I had initially planned on doing a separate busbar out of the load side of each controller, then connecting a group of loads to each of those busbars. But I have seen a few schematics where multiple arrays have one positive and one negative bus bar for the entire system. I want to take advantage of the controller load output to regulate the load for sensitive electronics. Is there anything wrong with doing separate busbars for the load out on each controller or am I missing an important feature/benefit to combining the busbars. Thanks in advance.

adrianp105 asked
adrianp105 commented ·

3 Answers

Battery connection to Lynx Distributor

For organizational purposes, I'm thinking of running my positive and negative battery cables to opposite ends of my Lynx Distributor. I can run them to the same side if necessary, but the way things are set up and given where the battery terminals are in relation to the Lynx, it would be easiest, most organized, and shortest cable runs to have the positive attached to one end, and the negative to the other.

I'm thinking this should be totally fine, they are essentially two separate busbars after all. Does anyone see an issue with this setup? Positive will obviously be fused at the battery and have a switch before the distributor, negative will have smartshunt.

Thanks much

igvan asked
trevor-bird answered ·

6 Answers

Clarity on BMV-712 connectivity parallel battery bank

Hello Everyone,

sorry if this question is somewhat amateur however could somebody please check my wiring intentions regarding BMV-712 Smart?

I have two 12 V | C20 | 200 Ah lead acid batteries connected in parallel via a busbar (cables of equal length to balance resistance).

If I've understood correctly, the shunt 'Battery -In' should connect to the negative busbar whilst B1 should connect to the positive busbar.

The battery capacity should be set to 400 Ah in the App.

If my understanding is correct B2 (Aux) can't be used to measure the Midpoint as my battery bank is 12 V; could however the temperature probe could be used to measure the batteries via the positive busbar?

Below is a sketch of my intended set-up.

Best regards

[image]

bazil asked
bazil answered ·

5 Answers

Using Victron Power In with Pylontech batteries.

Hi everyone

I have a Deye 12kw inverter that uses 10x Pylontech 3000C batteries and is connected with a 250A fused disconnect. Because of the limitations of the Pylontech battery cables I want to double my charge rate to 200A. Can I use the Victron Power In as a busbar without fuses using the fused disconnect that I already have or is it better to remove the fused disconnect and modify the Power In to take fuses or buy something like the Lynx Distributor?

Thanks

George asked

0 Answers

Fuse blows when Lynx Dist powered. Why?!

When I turn on (close) the battery disconnect to power the lynx distributor the 125A 48V (Victron) fuse blows on the battery connection In the Lynx. The only thing connected to the bus bars on the lynx distributor distributor is the inverter and the batteries. I checked and rechecked polarity and everything is correct. The 48v batteries are reading 53V. The inverter is off. A smart shunt if correctly installed between the bat negative and the negative bus bar on the distributor. The shunt bat plus and aux cables are connected to the bat pos terminal and the mid point positive. As far as I can tell everything is connected properly and secure and there is no reverse polarity. What would cause the fuse to blow When the Disconnect is closed (on) and the distributor is powered?

duswami asked
duswami commented ·

1 Answer

Grounding with the Lynx Distributor

Can the Lynx Distributor (LD) ground nut be used for multiple ground connections like a bus bar, and then earth ground that connection to my AC service panel. I have a Multiplus II, MPPT Charge controller both chasis grounded on the LD grounding lug. I want to add my battery ground to the LD ground nut and then earth ground the LD to the grounding bus bar in my AC service panel. I'm following local codes but want to be sure this is a permissible connection. Also, I'm using the SmartShunt, would I ground the neg bat terminal or one of the terminals on the shunt instead. Thank you, any insight or opinions (regardless of code) is appreciated.

duswami asked

0 Answers

Lynx Distributor OK to use last negative stud for chassis ground?

I'd like to run chassis ground to the last negative stud on the lynx distributor - by last negative stud I mean the last stud on the neg busbar, the one that would typically be used to connect a lynx distributors to another lynx distributor. Is there any issues with that? I'm running a multiplus equipment ground to the dedicated ground connection on the lynx distributor. Thanks!

jeremyh asked
jeremyh answered ·

2 Answers

Continuous and Peak Current Limits of Lynx Distributor?

Hi,

I'm planning out a system for taking a house off-grid, using 3 MP2 10k's in 3-phase (I want to be able to power a Level 2 EV fast charger at full capacity (3-phase, 22kW total)

Can I safely use Lynx Distributors as my busbars, with their listed current rating of 1000 Amps? It doesn't specify whether that's continuous or peak.

By my math, fully-loaded, the multipluses will each draw 8000 Watts continuous, worst case system voltage of about 40 Volts (low SoC and 5 volt voltage drop) gives around 600 Amps continuous, which should be fine for the Distributors.

But, the MP2 can peak at 18,000 Watts for <0.5 seconds (https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/4454/peak-power-of-victron-inverters.html). During that time, assuming a worst-case scenario (all 3 peaking at once, low SoC, 5 volt drop), current would be about 1,350 Amps.

Can the Distributors handle that? I wasn't able to find a separate peak and continuous rating for them, only 1000A.

My understanding is that there's no way to limit the current the MP2s draw from the battery when AC in is not connected, other than by turning loads off. Is that correct?

I don't ever expect to actually hit that peak load. Is fusing the busbar's connections to the batteries/mppt controller (which I'm obviously going to do either way) at some point below 1000A total sufficient to make sure the system is safe, if I would ever exceed the 1000A draw from the MP2s?

Thanks,

Joseph

josephtate13 asked

0 Answers

Lynx Bus Balance System Question?

So when reading the Wiring Unlimited doc, it shows connecting up multiple batteries in parallel in a configuration where your pos/neg taps come from opposite ends of the busbar like on page 19 and 26:

[image]

[image]

Now, how does this vibe with the typical Lynx install where each battery is connected to the bus and then the ends of the bus are connected to the next Lynx Component using the nearest corners instead of the opposite corners. In the standard system below it would look to me that potentially all the power is going to preferentially come from the first then 2nd, 3rd, 4th battery instead of spreading it equally. Seems like a bit of a departure from previous recommendations.

[image]

I'm definitely giving Victron the benefit of the doubt on this. Maybe the balancing is not a big deal and they will self correct over time, or maybe the bus bars are high enough quality that it doesn't really add any extra resistance for the ones on the end. It may be why they stress to use exactly the same links for each battery when connecting to the bus bar.

Anyone want to shine a bit of light on this topic?

PS. I love the Lynx system and pretty much all the Victron products. Just trying to wrap my head around something that has been nagging me for a while.

hoeken asked
hoeken commented ·

2 Answers

Victron USB to VE Direct using Hub issues connected to Victron 48/3000-GX

I have 3 Mppt controllers with a Victron ET 112 Energy meter via a USB ac powered hub

using VE Direct to USB hub converters

as the GX has only one usb Port and one VE Direct port

the 1 Mppt goes direct to the VE Direct port

the Et112 and 2 x MPPT go via the USB powered hub into the USB port

every time the power fails ac in and comes on again i loose the 1 or 2 MPPT saying no device

if we reboot the GX device it shows up again

we dont want the expense of installing a full on Cerbo GX device

anybody have simalr issues it is very annoying having to reset all the time

[image]

soltron365 asked
soltron365 answered ·

2 Answers

Busbar with thermal circuit breakers
Numerous Victron schematics show thermal circuit breakers connected with a busbar. How is this implemented? The thermal breakers used in marine systems have a raised tab that seems to prevent installation of a busbar.

From Victron schematic:

[image]

Closeup of breaker:

[image]

Rob asked
drlbradley answered ·

4 Answers

distributed batteries

background: i dont have all my space in one place, for the batteries.

am i allowed to do something like this in the pictured wiring diagram? you'll notice i can fit my first 2 batteries nearby the distribution bar (1000a) (0.5m)

but the next pair of batteries will need to be further away (3m). and the next pair of batteries (potentially) the same distance away again (3m).

batteries : i am intending on powertech us2000c - 48v.

[image]

mattw asked
mattw answered ·

2 Answers

BMV 712 and Busbars: Wiring Diagrams

I have an offgrid residential system comprising of 2 strings of PV, with each array connected to different mppt charge controllers (each string has a different orientation), two 51.2V 200AH LFP batteries connected in parallel, a 5KVA inverter and a BMV-712 with temperature sensor.

The BMV shunt can no longer accommodate the negatives of the loads and charges. Same for the positive terminal of the battery. Hence, the decision to use busbars.

1. Is there any other option than using busbars?

2. I would appreciate wiring directions/diagram of using busbars with the BMV with

• each battery connected to the busbars
  • both batteries paralleled, then a single +ve & -ve connection to the busbars.

3. Where do I connect the temperature sensor to? The busbar, a positive terminal of any battery?

Note: I am not interested in midpoint voltage.

Any other input in this situation will be appreciated.

pv-geek asked
kevgermany answered ·

2 Answers

Lynx Power In really 1000A ?

The Lynx Power In, like the Distributor, are advertised with an intensity of 1000A. Without going into the technical details of scientific calculation, we take an average of 1.2A per mm2 (maximum of 3A per mm2 according to the calculation bases of one of the 3 world leaders in professional electrical boxes and safety for busbars). However, the two Lynx have a bar of 30 * 8 mm. This gives 240 mm2. We multiply by the technical average of 1.2 and the result is 288A, or by the maximum of 3, the result is 720A, but never the 1000A. Do you have more information to send me on this subject? Thanks in advance.

myhomebuzz asked
myhomebuzz commented ·

2 Answers

Followers

23 Posts
20 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Mike Dorsett
140 Points
Leslieanne
80 Points