BMV Battery Monitor Image

BMV Battery Monitor

Suggestions for improving Victron Connect

hello, after 2 years of use and study I noticed fews things that Victron products can improve a lot with little effort.

1) the count of the cycles of the smartshunt and of the various models of BMV.

A cycle is only counted under 65% ..

This is incorrect in my opinion for lead acid batteries one should count a cycle even at 90% or 85%.

IN my RV the system is correctly sized, the batteries are agm for 178ah, and the photovoltaic of 450 watts.

I live in a pretty good climate and never run out of batteries below 80/85%.

So no cycle counts, apart from synchronizations.

This also leads to an inaccurate reading of the average discharge.

In fact, the average discharge is based on cycles and not on synchronizations.

In fact, I have average discharges of 25/30 ah and this is not detected, since my battery pack is 178ah and I never discharge below 65%. actually never below 80%.

2) it would be nice if the victron Connect app for the smartsolar also displays the internal temperature of the solar controller.

This temperature is certainly detected by the smartsolar but is not displayed.

3) it would be nice in the "trends" section to be able to cross the curves of 3 values and not just 2.

For example "battery voltage + battery current + soc".

it would be nice if the AH count was implemented in the historical trends of the smartshunt. Instead it is the only data that is only available in real time.

4) it is a pity that a small economic accessory is not available that records in a memory all the data of historical trends in CSV format to be exported.

The trend is only available on the App for 46 days and the possibility to save the history every 30 days (but only manually) from the smartsolar.

When I had the Epever-based system, a simple object costing 20 euros would record months of data at a time in. CSV.

I hope these suggestions can be taken into consideration, at least in part… at least the talk of battery monitor cycles.

Fra asked
Fra commented ·

0 Answers

Smartsolar equalisation and current from Smartshunt

Hello, I suggest to Victron to make a way that the equalization current of the smartsolar can be read by a smartshunt or a bmv via the VE smart network.

otherwise it is impossible to carry out a correct equalization phase if there are loads on the battery.

It is quite frustrating that the smartsolar can use the charging current of the smartshunt to terminate the tail current draw phase, and that it cannot do the same for the equalization phase.

for example if I set the equalization limit to 10% of the current of my smartsolar, it would be 3A (10% of 30A), but if I have 15A of loads on, the voltage will never increase because the charge controller cannot distinguish the current of the loads from that of the battery.

It would be very easy to do this since everything is already set up for the Ve Smart network.

Fra asked
Fra commented ·

1 Answer

Connexion d'un BMV sur EasySolar ?

Bonjour à tous.

J'ai déjà installé un BMV sur un système solaire, avec un Multiplus et un MPPT, pas de souci,

mais je ne trouve pas de schéma pour connecter un BMV 700 avec un onduleur hybride (onduleur avec un controleur MPPT inclu dans l'onduleur).

Merci de votre aide.

arnaudxx asked

0 Answers

What Shunt Capacity do I need?

I am a little confused which is not that hard to do.. I am buying a bmv700 battery monitor that comes with a 500 amp shunt. My battery bank has a total of approx 665 amps..do I need the 1000amp shunt??the manual says that the 500 amp shunt is satisfactory in most cases. So do you base the shunt size on battery total capacity or what you expect the total maximum amp draw will be at any one time. I would expect that my max draw would not exceed 400 amps and then only when the 2000 watt inverter and bow thruster operating at the same time and then only got a couple of seconds at a time. Thanks

cbouch asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

BMV 700 for 80V PzS

We do not trust our forklift battery monitor. Battery conaints 40 PzS with a total of 80Volt 660Ah nominal power. BMV700 and 702 are specified for voltage up to 95 Volt. Is it possible to monitor 80 Volt PzS by BMV70x ?

janvi asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

2 Answers

BMV and inverter disagree on voltage, inverter shuts down under high load

Good day,

I'm having voltage discrepancy issues with my Phoenix 800 inverter and my BMV. For more info on that please feel free to check this post: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/144128/phoenix-12800-shutting-down-not-overload-not-setti.html

Can I get the BMV to set the voltage of the system in order to override whatever the inverter reads?

Or perhaps my cabling is wrong, unlikely but possible.

renz asked
renz edited ·

7 Answers

Victron BMV SOC does not increase at all

Recently upgraded to LiFePo from AGM. Using same BMV and MPPT in setup. All wiring to Shunt is correct. Nothing is on battery side, except battery - wire. I do have a known parasitic draw (~.5Ah) on the house battery given the design on my Airstream Interstate. I have Full Charge set to 14.2V per the battery manufacturer (300Ah). Did Sync to 100% SOC and let it sit overnight. What I see is a gradual decrease in the SOC overnight to 13.8V / 92% SOC. In the morning, the MPPT Solar charger kicks in just for a very short period of time (3x100watt panels) and brings the battery voltage back up to 14.2V....yet the SOC stays at 92%. I've repeated this process with a variety of settings...scenario stays the same. SOC never goes up...always down. In the chart below, you can see where I did the reset and then the voltage coming back up and each time the SOC decreases. I am stumped. The only thing I can think of is the manufacturer has documentation that the battery resting voltage @ 100% SOC at 13.6V. 100% SOC charging voltage is 14.4. Maybe I have my battery charged voltage set too high? The MPPT has absorption set at 14.4V and Float at 13.8. Plus, when the MPPT is in Float mode....there is zero current flowing into the battery.

[image]

frankie-elcid88 asked
frankie-elcid88 answered ·

3 Answers

BMV712 not showing time remaining on app

Just posting on behalf of a mate who is not au fait with using computers.
He has a BMV712. Working for a bit over a week now. The physical display shows the Time remaining as infinite, however in the app it shows with two dashes. It has only started doing this today.
I've seen similar posts but they show two dashes in the Consumed Ah field while still showing infinite in the Time remaining field.
He's worried his app is out of date but I've checked that it's all good. He also thinks it's a bluetooth issue so has restarted bluetooth, the app, his phone etc...
I don't think it's bluetooth otherwise he wouldn't be getting all the rest of the information, which is all good.

[image]

wally asked
redrobin commented ·

2 Answers

Settings for Li-Ion 48V Battery Pack
Hi folks!

I have the MPPT 100/20 48V Solar Charger up and running, charging a 48V Li-Ion battery pack.

The OCV for Panasonic GA cells (13 in series) is going from 42,3V (SOC = 7,5%) up to 53,9V (SOC = 97,5%); This is the working range.

Now I am trying to find the best settings. Could you please help me with that!
How should I set
- absorption voltage
- float voltage
- equalization voltage (really needed for Li-Ion?)

- Re-Bulk voltage offset (what is it for?)
- Absorption duration
?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards, Flo

florian-koenigk asked
indefix123 published ·

4 Answers

Can I use the BMV 712 to monitor my solar system battery bank?

Bank Specs 400Ah @ 48V (19.2 kWh)

jarodz007 asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Victron BMV-712 - +B1/+B2 Wire Removal

Hi,

I recently had a Victron BMV-712 installed by someone else however I have worked out that they wired the temperature sensor incorrectly.

I am trying to release cables from the +B1 and +B2 terminals on the shunt however I have very limited visibility in the spot the shunt is installed.

What is the "trick" to get the +B1 and +B2 terminals to release? There is a small orange "clip" but I am unsure how this works. Any assistance would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

modrok asked
shammer1 commented ·

1 Answer

Battery Percentage not showing up on GX touch 50

Hi, i'm hoping someone can help me get my system to display the remaining battery percentage on my GX Touch 50.

My system consists of the following.

Victron Smart Shunt
Cerbo GX

Victron 3000 Multiplus

400Ah Victron Lithium Battery (2x 200Ah )
Victron Ve BMS Bus

The GX Touch will display 100% when it is fully charged but as soon as it dips below 100% it just displays --

The GX Touch does not display the SOC either. Bulk, Absorption, or Float.

I have gone into the GX Touch settings, and activated "Has DC System"

As well as selected the Battery Monitoring to read from the "Victron Multiplus"

I'm sure it's something basic, but can anyone help me out?

dmonkified asked
klim8skeptic answered ·

1 Answer

Alarm not clearing on Venus

Just noticed that that my Venus GX is reporting 2 alarms on remote console ( Both Midpoint BMV voltage alarms ) which are no longer present on the BMV itself or the VRM. How does one clear them now. BMV and Venus on latest current firmware

merlepeter asked
p0lar answered ·

3 Answers

BMV 712 doesn't match battery % state

Hi, please help!! I have 900A bank battery (48v) and MPPT 450/100, despite MPPT is on "float" condition, BMV does not increase battery % , why is not working?

carlos-oyarzun-moraga asked
klim8skeptic answered ·

1 Answer

1711 Posts
1236 Users
24 Followers

Topic Experts

Mark
2188 Points
wkirby
2179 Points