SmartShunt Image

SmartShunt

Victron smart shunt deliver lower current

Hi, I recently obtained 2 x Blue Nova 108Ah Lithium batteries for off the grid camping, Fitted a Victron Smart Shunt and working with a MPPT and 300W Solar panel.

In bright sun the current into the shunt is only 7,5A (half it should be), I have also tested a different 300W Solar panel, same current. Then I connected the 2 Panels in parallel and the current were 15A, still half it should be

Today I connected the Batteries on my Victron blue power 12v 15 A and the charge changes almost immediately from bulk to absorb. Why? the batteries are 50% SOC.

koos-r asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

SOC, used amp hours, volts

I need some really clear help please.

I have 3 AGM batteries each with a capacity of 95ah at C20.

I charge using solar and DC2DC.

As the volts of the battery can be iffy for measuring state of charge due to loads always changing on it. I usually use used amp hours as my guide of what I have left in the energy piggy bank.

Recently I have noticed when driving that the state of charge percentage and the used amp hours just jump to fully charged even with around -20 amp hours to go, then I go into absorption and it trickle charges for ages.

In the past I have noticed my voltage (I know not very accurate) can drop to 12.2 with only around 10 amp hours used. I guess this jump to fully charged has happened a few times and cumulatively has made my used amp hours untrustworthy as a guide.

Can anyone give me guidance on the settings I need to put in. I've worked out the peukert, watched all the videos and twiddled the tail current but it seems it is not working. I need an adult with some idea of what I'm doing wrong please.

Thank you!

[image]

[image]

laurapakora91 asked
kevgermany commented ·

3 Answers

Incorrect battery kwh consumption reported in VRM?

Everything I have is ESS Victron, no hidden chargers, or dc consumers, no other PV sources apart from victron mppts, no nothing just 3 Quattros 10kva in 3 phase with victron gel batteries, the only AC consumers on critical AC out, so nothing between grid and quattros. (even though sporadically it sometimes reports there's something there until it self calibrates again to 0)

I took a look at reports for this year (check pics) then went on to calculate battery efficiency:

[image]

[image]

So system sent 5041 PV kwh into them and only got out 2912.. this amounts to only 57% efficiency.. way out of specs and making it seems like batteries are not worth it.

So decided to purchase 1000 shunt to have a more accurate reporting. I Reset it yesterday after sunset, shunt reports 28 kwh consumed during night while VRM only 22.

Now I'm depressed... it means VRM victron is more or less useless if I want to know if I got my moneys worth out of batteries.

What can cause such discrepancy? By my estimations, there's an average of ~300-400w unaccounted for everytime it inverts from batteries.

I also noticed that after battery reaches min SOC and no more inverting out of them, shunt still registers a discharge of 300-400w.

Looking at quattro specs I see a 60w self consumption so 3 x 60 =180w and maybe it's 96% efficiency?

Ok so lets say before the shunt VRM couldn't register self consumption and only reported what it *might* have gotten out of batteries to supply the AC load (so minus self consumption and self efficiency heat etc), but why after hooking shunt to VRM and set as system monitoring device, it doesn't report the shunt consumption?

ikeakayke asked
matt1309 commented ·

28 Answers

Multiplus II battery monitor versus smart shunt

I am running a 400Ah 48V lithium pack (self-built) and monitoring it using the Multiplus II 5000 internal battery monitor. The system is a grid parallel ESS setup.

It has Daly 250amp BMS (not interfaced with Victon at this stage).

Is there some margin to using a smart-shunt to measure the battery capacity and SoC?

Is it more accurate? If so, why?

djdemond asked
djdemond commented ·

1 Answer

SmartShunt + Lifepo4 setup (wrong SOC)

SmartShunt setup - wrong SOC

Hello guys, thank you for the great help on this forum.

I just ran out of power after 3 days of almost no solar charge, but I am confused because:

- the Smartshunt indicates 82% state of charge while the batteries are 9.7V. I doubled check with a multimeter and yes the batteries are 9.7v.

- I have 2x150ah=300ah lifepo4, and the Smartshunt indicates a deepest discharge of 118ah, which matches my recent consumption: laptop 5 hours/day 5x3x5ah=75wh, smartphone 5ah x3= 45ah, total: 120ah

My installation:

2x150ah lifepo4 ECOWORTHY batteries in //, with 3x150w solar panels in //, through Victron MPPT SmartSolar 100/50, monitored with the Victron Smart Shunt, and converter / charger Victron Multiplus 12/800.

My questions are:

-Does the SmartShunt not supposed to show 0% as batteries are fully discharged? I previously set the capacities and types of the batteries in the Smartshunt, I synchronized at 100% when batteries fully charged, I calibrated with zero current... what else should be setup?

-The batteries have 300ah, considering a max discharge at 20% I should have been able to get 240ah at minimum. Could my batteries out of services or low quality? What should I do?

Thank you!

when blackout:

[image]

[image]

after full shore recharge:

[image]

only 118ah deepest discharge with 300ah lifepo4 batteries Ecoworthy

[image]

what is strange is that about 3 weeks ago, I went deeper into discharge SOC +/-70%, but the voltage stayed higher. With equal settings.

[image]

The settings:

[image]

Thank you again

Nicolas asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

2 Answers

Cervo gx how to connect 4 ve bus devicea

Hello

I have:

Cervo gx

Mppt for solar panels

BMV 712 for battery monitor

Smart shunt as DC meter for boat engine alternator

Ve bus to nma2000 cable

SD card

USB gps device

USB bluetooth for ruuvi

Multiplus 12/1600/4800

4 ultra capacitor batteries

Albicombi for engine sensors

Bilge pump sensor

Fuel tank sensor

Water tank sensor

Relay to turn Aircon on/off

Relay to turn lights on/off

Ethernet cable to connect to raymarine MFD and rest of raymarine system.

I now installed silent wind wind generator with hit own controller and i would like to add a shunt as DC meter selecting wind generator

How do I connect the 4th be bus device to the cerbo

Thanks

Daniele Calabrese asked
Daniele Calabrese answered ·

4 Answers

ESS - MPPT gets disabled

Hello all,

I have a small solar system with buffer battery:

1 x solar cell 410 W

1x SmartSolar MPPT 100/20

1x SamartShunt 500A/50mV

1x Battery 12V 28Ah

1x MultiPlus 12/800/35

Everything is connected to a RaspberryPi with VictronOS via USB cable

2x Ve.Direct to the SmartSolar and SmartShunt

1x Ve.Bus to the MultiPlus

============================

ESS is selected as configuration on the MultiPlus and DC power supply.

Connected on the MultiPlus:
AC input - Grid supply
AC output - continuous load of approx. 200-400W

============================

The following problem has now come up:
When the SmartSolar is connected to the Raspberry, it switches to state: externally controlled and shuts down. If at all 5W - 20W come through. If I disconnect the VD.Direct and restart the SmartSolar, it delivers the full PV power.

Does anyone have an idea?

If desired, I can also provide RemoteDesktop (AnyDesk) if someone wants to look at it.

Many thanks in advance.

I am grateful for any idea! ;)

brenner-d asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

SOC going up “percentage by percentage” possible?

Hi! I have a 24v 110ah lithium battery which supply my 220v appliances in my van. With this I have a SmartSolar Charger MPPT 75/15 from Victron which that handles the power from the solar panels on the roof and connects to the 24v lithium battery and lastly I have a SmartShunt 500A/50mV from Victron to be able to se the status of the lithium battery.

My issue is that even though I receive sun on the solar panels and the voltage is rising the SOC on the Smartshunt doesn’t change before synchronization, so I don’t know how much more capacity I have before I destroy the battery.

I’m wondering if there is a way to calibrate the Smartshunt so the percentage goes up “percentage by percentage” (e.g. 64%,65%,66%} or can I safely continue to use the electricity if the voltage is high enough (e.g. over 26v) even though the SOC says I’m going lower than 10-20%?

Thank you!

Best regards, Mikael

mike5fant asked
pwfarnell commented ·

3 Answers

Suggestion for VictronConnect's readout feature

My feature request/suggestion is for the ability to choose which bit information I would like to see in the device readouts on the VictronConnect app

This idea came after realizing that there is no wattage readout for the SmartShunt but there is space for it in the readout section of the app

bowlegs868 asked

0 Answers

VRM additional shunt not visible

I have added additional smart shunt via ve-direct to cerbo to be able measure accurately charge current from additional charger. Shunt is configured as DC source and named as AC Charger. It is visible in VRM device list but not in dashboard or in the list of devices at Advanced page. So I can see status and history only through Cerbo but not via VRM.

Is there way to refresh VRM to get additional shunt data to shown in advaced page so I can export statistics?

All devices in the system have newest FW. VRM instance ID 48e7da89e12d

[image]

janieronen asked
pwfarnell commented ·

0 Answers

SmartShunt 500a Aux Starter low

I have the Aux port wired to my generator battery 12vdc starter battery and it was reading correctly. I ran an update and now the voltage is readin 4.5 V ish. The battery is still reading 12.6v at the smart shunt when I use my voltage meter and is fully charged. I assume the update might have cause it to reset something to an incorrect voltage setting but I can’t find anything. Both main and aux batteries are 12v and I verified wiring per diagram from other posts.

hayloftllc asked
derrick thomas answered ·

3 Answers

Smartshunt DC energy meter for case grounded alternator

I have a Smartshunt ready to install as a DC energy meter on my boats domestic alternator, but this has the negative via the grounded case and engine. I also have a separate engine battery and alternator but they share the common negative return via the engine. This will add to the existing BMV702 on the domestic batteries. I have seen many comments that in this case, you need to have a shunt in the positive cable.

Thinking about this, I believe that I can wire it up in the negative cabling per the attached sketch. The negative return from both alternators splits at the new Smartshunt to separate out the current from the two alternators so it will only measure the domestic alternator. In the existing wiring, the alternator negative, the ground and the engine battery -ve all connect to the -ve bus and this works OK with the BMV. The boat is steel hulled and it is not used for any negative returns, everything is fully wired to the -ve buses.

The sketch ignores fusing, isolation switches, minor wiring to the shunts.

Am I missing something in my wiring layout.

[image]

pwfarnell asked
pwfarnell commented ·

1 Answer

Energy Meter Capability

I currently have a full Victron system (soup to nuts) on our sailboat. We use SmartShunts to monitor power output of a wind generator and one of the small solar banks that cannot be supported by a Victron MPPT. They work great.

I am currently installing an Electromaax 24V/160A high output alternator on our main engine. It is externally rectified and controlled, assisting with heat management and charging of the Victron LFP bank (24V/600Ah). The installation requires two shunts for system monitoring: 1) The main system shunt for the battery bank on the negative side and 2) A secondary shunt on the positive output side of the rectifier (used as an Energy Meter as well for the Alternator). Both are Victron Smart Shunts 500A/50mV.

It appears the Smart Shunt on the positive output side is no longer working. Maybe it is a defect or damage caused by myself during transport/install/etc.

My question. Does anyone see a potential cause for failure based on the layout (output side + of the alternator)? This is the first piece of blue equipment with a short lifespan and it makes me wonder if the install is to blame.

Thank you all for your insight.

mday73 asked

0 Answers

SmartShunt current shows 50% less than real current draw

Final Update: Bringing up the second of eight battery boxes all is working correctly. Went back to the first box and discovered an assembly error that got over looked several times. By qualified eyes.

Update: Second SmartShunt 500A, out of the box and firmware updated shows same readings???

SmartShunt is showing 2.5A load when the measured draw on Fluke 375 shows 5A, which is the calculated load of the circuit. The SmartShunt has been zeroed with all devices disconnected, with no improved result.

Making a clever portable12VDC battery box.

• KickAss Products battery box
  • NEPO 110Ah AGM Battery
  • Victron Blue Smart IP67 Charger 120 VAC 25A
  • Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV Version 4.09
  • Victron Temp. Sensor for BMV & SmartShunt
  • Rhino DCtoDC Converter 12VDC to 24VDC 60W
  • BlueSea DC Fuse Bus and Neg Bus 6 Cir. 5025
  • BlueSea 30A terminal Fuse

[image]

[image]

[image]

kwagner asked
kwagner edited ·

1 Answer

Smart Shunt broken on 48v system

I have commissioned a new system:

800ah lifepo4 cells custom build

2x Quattro 48/10000

3x MPPT RS 450/100

~14kw solar

After plugging in the smart shunt (correctly… I’ve done many) it works normally and adjust settings. Then within an hour or so it disappears altogether! Tried unplugging and RE-plugging power. The fuse in the positive wire is blown. I’ve replaced it numerous times. Finally I thought maybe just I had bad luck. Then I replaced the smart shunt and same problems!

I even replaced the smartshunt with an older one because I heard there’s been some manufacturing issues (like with the Cerbo).

I really need a solution for monitoring battery capacity integrated into the Cerbo. This should work but from what I can tell there’s no solution yet like with the Cerbo + capacitor.

Please help! I only deal with 48v systems. This is critical!

Sean Jacobs asked
seb71 edited ·

2 Answers

604 Posts
358 Users
4 Followers

Topic Experts

kevgermany
720 Points
Alexandra
545 Points