current limit Image

current limit

Sustain current too high?

Hello Victron fellows,

I have set some Li ion with Victron inverters, always for self consumption with PV inverters, but this one is cracking me up. This system consists in three 48V Multiplus II 3000/35 as a three phasic system, and an ESS assistant is set. The sustain voltage is 43V and cuttoff around 42V. The modules have a low SOH, but the system should work anyway. It charges and discharges correctly, up to the point where my BMS disables allow to discharge at around 48V, because there are low cells (it should discharge to less than 42V if it was good).

Then, Sustain mode is active and the current goes UP TO 90A. Of course when this happens the voltage raises quickly, the allow to discharge comes on again and it goes to Discharging mode. Repeating the process endlessly - Even without PV POWER, that means it consumes a lot of power.

My question is, why does it go up to 90A, since sustain mode should be 5A per unit and how can I solve this?

Thank you very much!

jorge-folgado asked
hjb answered ·

4 Answers

Multiplus2 input current limit

When I have a ~1400w load and select 5A input current limit, my multiplus limits to 4.5-4.7A, perfect. But if I raise it to 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, or 7.5 amps it limits the current to 5A in all those settings, only when raised to 8A it will stop power assisting. Is there any setting that makes it limit to what is actually chosen in the setting? I have built a function to automatically regulate this setting based on PV power and battery current but it does not work correctly because of this inconsistency...

Regards,

mr happy

mrhappy asked

0 Answers

Cerbo GX shows wrong Quattro input for Input Current Limit

We have installed two independant Quattros connected to a CerboGX. One through VE Bus and the other through MK3 to USB adapter.

Both Quattro units have Shore power on AC Input 2. One has a generator connected to AC input 1. AC input 1 (generator) is set to 40 amps and "Controlled by remote" is disabled. AC input 2 (Shore power) is set to 32 amps and "Controlled by Remote" is enabled.

On VRM on remote console I can see "Input Current Limit" is 40 Amp. It cannot be adjustable. I cannot see the 32 amp input current parameter.

On the Garmin MFD I can see Input Current Limit is 32 amps. Not yet sure if it can be adjusted but will know tomorrow afternoon. I hope so.

It appears the CerboGX is displaying the wrong input. It appears to be displaying the input disabled from adjustment rather than the input which is enabled for adjutment.

Has anyone else seen this? Cerbo Firmware V2.75. Is this a software anomoly or have I somehow misunderstood how this works.

[image]

[image]

trevor-bird asked
trevor-bird answered ·

2 Answers

Different charging sources - simplest separation way

Hello,

I have a question about the currently used methods - what is the best and optimal method of separating power sources. I have on yacht following set of charging devices:

1.2x alternator 12V 80A on engine
2. Victron Multiplus 12 | 2000 | 80-50A
3. Wind/solar charger - output max 40A (other manufacturer)

Then I have 3 battery banks:
A. 1x 12V 120Ah standard battery - starting batt.
B. 2x 12V AGM 110Ah (Victron) - bowthruster and winch
C. 3x 12V AGM 110Ah (Victron) - house batt.

Please advise how is the optimal solution for connecting this different charging sources. I think to use three AgroFET 100-3 or 200-3 separators for each charging source. But maybe experienced users can advice more optimal method which control the charging current from different sources?

Do you think it is advisable to also separate the alternators and treat them as two separate power sources.

Regards,

elektrotechco asked

0 Answers

IP65 12/25 2021 inrush current and save fuse size?

Based on a ‘zeilersforum’ topic I found this question discussed: “Blue Smart IP22 charger trips automatic fuse” in this community.

Summary: a IP22 12/30 will trip a 6A and 10A fuse and not a 16A. So, you may need an inrush limiter as proposed by Victron.

In the same discussion Victron added that this phenomina has been discussed while preparing the IP65 design.

Old harbours may be fused at 6A or 10A rather than 16A. The shore fuse may not be accessable after it trips (a reset will do, if accessable).

1:-is the IP65 12/25A model year 2021 adapted in a way to limit the inrush current to 5A or such that a 6A fuse will not trip?

2:-to which save fuse size have the IP65 improvements result in: are 6A and 10A tested?

3:-if not, is Victron willing to test this (or these) charger(s) in order to document needed fuse level and inrush limiter recommendation?

4:-is there a Victron approved hardware interface or schematic with component list available for save use at 6A fuses (a 5A inrush limiter)?

5:-neither manuals are prescribing an “aansluitwaarde” (current supply level) and do not warn for low level harbour fuses. The charger will only take 1.5A average so this inrush is very unexpected. Will you update the manual or supply an addendum on the product tab of the website?

We have a seagoing trailer sailer located in the Netherlands and are planning sailing from remote locations next year, where neither 16A nor 24/7 harbour master may be obvious. The IP65 12/25 is the main charging source for the lfp battery.

Please add the question numbers as a reference to your answers. Thank you.

booty24 asked

0 Answers

Trick for lower input current limit?

First let me describe the system I am working on as it might be a bit unusual.

The system is installed in an Airstream trailer for powering a "trade-show" demo and HVAC system for public demos. Typically the loads draw ~4kW continuous, 8kW peak. The use case is to plug the trailer into either an EV charge point OR a 50A RV service (with an EVSE) overnight, tow the trailer to the site for the day and let it run all day, then tow it back to a grid connection overnight.

Additionally, we wanted the ability to "trickle-charge" off a 15A 120V outlet.

• 28kWh of 48V batteries (12x Renogy 50Ahr LiFePo4 "smart" batteries)
  • 2x parallel Multi-Plus II 48/5000/70-50 230V
  • 6kW of solar with 2x Victron MPPTs (not yet installed).
  • Lynx distributor and Lynx CAN shunt with a Cerbo (not yet installed).
  • AC output: 100A Victron autotransformer feeding split-phase to the panel
  • AC input: manual transfer switch to select between a J1772 inlet (up to 50A at 240V) or a 2:1 transformer to "trickle charge"

The problem is that sometimes we want to use a 15A 120V outlet with the PowerAssist function. We would like to pull ~13A from the outlet (6.5A@240V, at the input to the Multi-Plus-IIs) and supplement the rest of the ~4kW load with power from the batteries.

The minimum current per Multi-Plus is 5.7A, or, on the other side of that transformer, 23A for both.

How can we make this work? If we disable PowerAssist, we can decrease the current limit further but it will not otherwise do what we want, correct?

Thanks!

willem-hillier asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

Power assist does nothing, never activates

Hello, I have...

Dual Multiplus 3000 currently running in parallel on 30 amp shore power

bmv 712

cerbo gx

touch 50 screen

800 amps of lifepo4

Power assist on in both units

When I set "input current limit" to 15 amps and I run 20 amps of load the power asssist never helps out. The system just keeps charging the batteries. It never actually shows the correct amout of amps bieng drawn. Can this be corrected?

[image]

Gary

rvlivinglife asked
Kevin Windrem answered ·

1 Answer

48Volt 100Ah BLSBatt Max Discharge setting

I have a question regarding changing parameters on a BSLBatt. I installed the 100Ah battery and upon commissioning it via a Cerbo I saw that the Max DC Discharge Current setting for the Battery as displayed via the Cerbo, is 105A. Both the Victron/BSLBatt setup manual and the battery specs indicate that that setting should be around 150-160 Amps DC (30A AC equivalent). My problem is I have one 2kw electric motor that trips the battery due to overload. (The machine has a slow start due to how it works - it is a big bandsaw).

My questions are
1- Am I correct in saying that parameter is set wrong in the battery?
2 - Is there a way I can change that setting myself via software or must it go back to the local agents for correction ?
3 - Can a support person do it online via Cerbo or Teams?

Lourens asked
Lourens answered ·

1 Answer

AC input current limit setting is very different from where it actually limits.

Got a Quattro 12/5000/220-2x100 120V running firmware 2733430. (Same system as in this old post.) Since then, I've beefed up the shoreline to a true 20A circuit, and adjusted the input limit to 20A accordingly.

Sometimes the system will happily draw 19.8A from the shore, and sometimes it'll limit itself at 11.6A and go into PowerAssist for my roughly-2kW load.

Here's the weird thing: If I increment the input current limit just a little, the actual power drawn from the shore increases dramatically. Here's my observational data:

Current limit set in VEConfigure Actual current drawn Load and status
20A 11.6A 2kw, PowerAssist assisting
21A 12.6A 2kw, PowerAssist assisting
21.5A 20.2A 2kw, battery charging
22A 20.7A 2kw, battery charging
30A 27A 2kw, battery charging

AC input voltage is roughly 108-112V in all cases.

So why the huge jump in actual current, for a tiny bump in the set limit? It's not correlated with input voltage, and I can't identify anything this behavior is correlated with. I've tried setting WeakAC and it had no effect on the behavior either way. Shore power is 60Hz grid AC, so it's not like a generator is lagging its frequency or anything. What else should I be checking?

For the moment, I'm leaving it at 21.5A to keep the battery from draining while on shore power, even though it slightly overdraws the circuit's nominal rating, the breaker doesn't actually trip until a bit higher than that. ;)

nbezanson asked
ludo answered ·

5 Answers

Multiplus 2 Limit Power Output ESS Mode 2 (Solved)

Hi All,

I am currently running a Multiplus 2 3KW connected to a 15S65P 18650 base battery. My BMS is Batrium WM4 that talks over CANBUS to a Rpi4 running Venus OS. Im using a CT clamp to mains to try and keep the grid value at 0W. Set in link below.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/32828/can-current-transformer-replace-energy-meter.html

Everything has been running sweet as a nut for the last 18 months but there is one issue that I cannot appear to get to the bottom of and that is the power limit of the system. The intention was to never run it more than 1000W.

[image]

The issue I have is when a big load is switch on in the house such as a kettle, cooker heating element or iron. The inverter rams up to max invert of 3kw and then slowly ramps back down to 1000W. So it appears the power limit works but the inrush current of 50 to 60 Amps is something I want eliminate.

In the manual section 4.3.9. The manual states this:

• The losses in the inverter/charger are not taken into account. If you want to limit the amount of power being drawn from the battery, you will have to set this limit slightly lower to compensate for those losses.

• Power coming from the MPPTs is not taken into account. Using this feature in a system with MPPTs can cause the output power from the MPPT to be reduced.

• This limit is with respect to power drawn from the battery and will affect the total of all phases.

• This limit only applies while connected to AC-in: In inverter mode, the AC loads determine how much power is drawn from the battery.

BULLET POINT 1- Ihave tried setting the power limit to 700W but i sytill get a 50-60A inrush.

BULLET POINT 2- Im not using MPPT's.

BULLET POINT 3- N/A

BULLET POINT 4- I am only connected to AC IN using as a bidirectional inverter/charger. I have no loads connected to the AC out. When is sates 'inverter mode' does this mean this setting? inverter only? Or is there another setting?

[image]

I currently leave the switch in the ON position and do not run it 'inverter only'. This is because I want it to invert/charge when required.

Does anyone have any idea how I can limit it so it ramps up to 1000W when large loads are switched on? Or will I have to run mode 3 to eliminate this issues?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

gjones84 asked
gjones84 edited ·

3 Answers

motorhome is 30amps but the amp meter is reading 50amps?

I have 600 watts of solar a 100/50 mppt and a multiplus 3000 120 12. My amp meter in the motorhome says that the input amps are at 50amps but the system is only 30amps how can that be? It was good and read 30 amps for a year and now it has changed?

robert-s asked

0 Answers

Shore power limit on MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80-50 120V keeps setting itself to 8.5 Amps

The MultiPlus 12/2000/80-50 has a minimum shore power limit of - 4.5A according to minimum shore current limits 07-2019.xls which I downloaded from victron. When I set the CCGX to 4.5 and exit the menu, the value pops back up to 8.5A. Why might this be happening and how can I get it to 4.5Amps? I also tried to set it via a bluetooth smart dongle. Same behavior.

Could it be that the rating/spreadsheet is not for North America at 120 Volts and only 4.5A for 220V? That would really be disappointing and should probably be mentioned on the spreadsheet. Also I can't turn off power boost, I need it.

Thanks!

James

James Demetriou asked
James Demetriou commented ·

2 Answers

Question about bus bar and switch current rating

I have a question about the current rating of bus bars and switches. I have a 12V system, and the bus bar I was planning on using has a rating of 250A. However, it says that this rating is for a 48V system. Does this mean that it has a rating of 1000A for a 12V system? Or does it not work like that - is it only the current value that matters? An explanation of the physics behind this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

nancybeaumont asked
Alexandra commented ·

2 Answers

Victron Quattro Maximum power from public grid

Hi there,

Following background: I want to install a photovoltaik system at home with a battery and therefore use the Victron Quattro to achieve, that it is on the one hand possible to use the energy "from the sun" and those from the public grid if necessary. However in my case I do not really know which Quattro I have to use, as the following question appears: has the Quattro 48/5000/70 for instance a 5 kW limitation in general, or is this limitation just when he has to convert the energy from the battery ? Basically I want to know if a 5 kW Quattro is able to let more power through when consumed from the grid or if there is also this limitation.

My question appeared as I have seen the "Maximum feed through current" in the datasheet, which is for the 5 kW Quattro given with 2x100 amps. I think the 2x comes from the 2 possible AC outputs from the Quattro. But are the 100 amps related to the 230V? So is it possible to let 230V*100A=23 000W = 23 kW from the public grid through the Quattro?

I just need to know this, as I am not sure if I can cover my hole power demand for each phase with the Quattro I want to use.

Many thanks in advance

Thomas Lederer

thomaslederer asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Quattro 24/8000 current limt.

I have a Quattro 24/8000KVA and the current limt cant go under 10 Amps like the 5000KVA cant go down to 4 Amps. in scandinavia we often have problems with not being able to get more than 6 - 8 A out of the shore power. how can i come down under 10 A limit current ind the Inverter? anyone know if it is possible to get a special firmware from Victron ?

Kasper asked
Mike Dorsett answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus entering power assist unnecessarily; draining batteries

The power system (components listed here; all devices have the latest firmware as of this posting) I installed in my fifth wheel is entering power assist mode despite the AC input being less than the input current limit. For background, one goal of this system was to be able to run a pair (15 and 13.5 kBTU/hr) of air conditioners on 30A/120VAC single phase service, with the inverters/batteries supplementing the grid power for intermittent loads like a Keurig, microwave, etc. The trailer came with one air conditioner on L1 and the other on L2. Of course, when only single phase input is provided, the second inverter inverts from 12 VDC but its continuous output must of course be limited by the first inverter's charging capacity of 120A. After conversion losses this is inadequate to power the second AC without pulling from the batteries (side note for any Victron employees lurking: *please* implement a way for the second inverter in a split-phase system to accept AC input that's in-phase with the first inverter! This is obviously something that can be done in software and its absence is driving customers with RV applications out of their minds). To get around this problem I installed a 20A switch that allows me to switch the second air conditioner from L1 to L2. I thought that was clever.

But not really; the stubbornness of the Multiplus defeats my ingenuity. See pics below.

[image]

[image]

As you can see, it is drawing well below the input current limit from the grid, yet "assisting" and drawing down my batteries. The total draw is around 28-29A although it can't be seen in the pictures (but you can infer it from the "AC Loads").

Please help me figure out how to force the inverter to draw up to the input current limit before it goes into assist mode; I really can't stomach the thought that I paid ~$15k and put in dozens of hours of work to actually lose capability.

Edit: The system is plugged into a 30A 120/240VAC split-phase connection. Inside the rig I have a 50A breaker upstream of the Multis, and I cut the little metal link joining the two poles of the breaker so that I can switch L1 and L2 on/off separately. In the example above, L2 is cut off to simulate how the Multis behave when only given a 30A/120VAC input (the first inverter switches to grid input while the second simply inverts from the batteries, as I ranted about in bold above). It is connected through several long extension cords, hence the voltage drop. Nevertheless, there is sufficient input amperage available to power these loads from grid input alone (and it certainly should be pulling more than 23A when it has a 30A input current limit).

Here's a VRM link: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/66058/share/6019a575

And here's a link to the RVMS file with the current inverter configuration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JUNAxmPHIBWKNB6Saglhysvo8FdTxRsx/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

jersey-dirtbag asked
Lou Cetrangelo answered ·

3 Answers

Peak Current Time - BatteryProtect 48V-100A

Does anyone know what the max peak current (250A) time is on the BatteryProtect 48V-100A? It's listed as 30s on the data sheet for the 12/24V version but its silent on the 48V data sheet..

jonaslobitz asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

Buck-Boost Maximum Input Current

How do you change the maximum input current? (Setting 21) The setting isn't highlighted in the Tsconfig Software.

anders-2 asked

0 Answers

Multiplus 5000/24V Input current limit control assistant in combination with Cerbo

I have a Multiplus 5000/24V in combination with 3 x 24V/160AH LiFePO4 batteries. There are three sources which can be used for charging the batteries, shore power and two generators. One is 18KVA, the other 3.5KVA. When the 3.5KVA is being used the Multiplus has to be limited to use a maximum of 10A.

This system has also a Gerbo GX which is connected to the multiplus via the VE.bus for remote monitoring.

To limit the input current what would be the best solution, use a digital input on the Cerbo GX which will in turn set the input current limit. Or use the "input current limit control" assistant directly on the multiplus?

absolute asked
absolute edited ·

2 Answers

Maximum discharge current (initial current)??

Hallo people

If i have a 230 Ah agm battery wich mentions "initial current" 46 A, what does that mean exactly? For example:

I want 2 of this batteries parallel connected to a multiplus 12-2000. But if i connect like for example a watercooker from 1600 watt i allreafy excel that current by around 30 amps (15 amps per battery)

What battery i need connect then to not exceed the "initial" current?

Or this means somethibg else?

Thanks all!

heinzie asked
heinzie commented ·

2 Answers

MPPT 100/20-48V maximum load current 100mA???

I am looking at using the MPPT 100/20-48V but I noticed that the manual specifies a maximum load current of 100mA for a battery voltage of 36-48V. For 12V and 24V it is 20A.

I cannot imagine why there would be such a difference, and how the unit can be useful at 36V or 48V, with only 100mA of available load current. Unless you are simply not supposed to use the load output in this mode.

Can anyone shed some light on this question?

eamon asked
jamesinwa answered ·

4 Answers

No current management between MPPT / BMV?

Hi,

i use a MPPT 100/50 and a BMV712 with 1,3kWp offgrid (oversized because of winter). The charger and bmv are connected via VE.Smart Networking. My MPPT output is limited to the maximum allowed battery current.

I also use energy in my regular system while charging. The bmv seems not to communicate the real charging current to the MPPT to regulate the maximum power output. So in sunny days i can´t use the full power of my pv for my phoenix ac converter because of this limitation.

Why isn´t this implemented or why is this a problem?

mikeymike asked
Stefanie answered ·

1 Answer

Is DMC GX still required for systems with Ve.Bus BMS for changing input current limiter?

Is the DMC GX still required for systems with a Ve.Bus BMS for changing the input current limiter?

The CCGX manual suggests that the DMC GX is still required if you have a Ve.Bus BMS:
From: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#vebus_inverter_charger_monitoring

[image]

Are the current limit settings, which are now present in the CCGX, sufficient for for controlling input currents in systems with Ve.Bus BMS batteries without the need of a DMC GX?

[image]

Thank you,
Nate

natebert asked
brent1982 edited ·

2 Answers

AC Current Limit when using ESS as a grid parallel system

I have a Multiplus II GX system which is installed with the ESS application. It's connected to the UK grid via a single phase 100A supply, connected to AC IN of the Multiplus.

All loads and an AC coupled solar inverter are also connected to AC IN of the Multiplus.

The Multiplus is able to balance the grid supply close to zero, charging the batteries off of solar and discharging them as required. I also have time of use tariff which enables the Multiplus to charge the batteries over night.

The issue I have is that I run a lot of loads over night in the cheap period of my tariff including a 32A electric car charger. This regularly take my load over 50A.

The Multiplus needlessly regulates its own charger down in this period and on occasion supplements my grid supply from batteries. This is needless and results in me not having a full battery bank at the end of the cheap time-of-use period.

I can't increase the current limit beyond 50A on the Multiplus or seem to disable it. It is not needed in a parallel grid connection as I have it, as far as I can see.

Can somebody advise me as to whether I have missed a setting or if this is something Victron need to consider in a future firmware update. I want to be able to heat my water, charge my car, batter bank, run my dish and clothes washers during my off peak period!

Marcus Fosker asked
elel commented ·

3 Answers

Input Current Limit MultiPlus-II

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone knows what happens when I:

• disable PowerAssist (it has to be disabled so the Input Current Limit can be lower than 3.9A for a Multi)
  • set the Input current limit of a MultiPlus to say 2A
  • switch on a 10A load on the AC-out

I'm looking into ways to dynamically adjust the power take from an external power source between "as low as possible (0A would be great, but 1A will do too)" to 20A.

Would the MultiPlus supply 8A from the batteries and 2A from it AC-in in my example above? Or would it trip with an overload?

Jan

jbakuwel asked
jbakuwel commented ·

2 Answers

Cerbo GX relay #2 current

Hi!
My Cerbo is fitted in a van, with some exterior lights. These lights are connected to 4 relays that control each of the sides of the van. With an internal screen, I can send 12V to activate the relays and light on the lights.

My question is if I can put a +12V to the common port on the #2 realy of the cerbo, and the connect the cerbo to the same internal screen, to activate the lights from the Cerbo. Will the Cerbo have a problem if the current from the other screen goes to his #2 realy? Do I need a diode or something in the middle?

Thanks!

Albert.

llubi asked
llubi commented ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 24/3000 violates input current limit settings

How do I prevent the MP from exceeding the input current limit settings?

[image]

Stephen Otto asked
88benjy88 answered ·

1 Answer

Charging current advice needed

Hello,

I have a BlueSolar MPPT 100/30 charger and 2 used car batteries (12V, 60Ah), Varta, no maintenance needed (sealed), which I want to put in series so I can have a 24V system.

I see in VictronConnect that I can set the charging current .. but what value should I put there to be safe?

I plan in using the batteries mostly as a buffer system (a 24V, 300W pump is running to move the water from a deep well to a water tank).

Thank you!

sorin-t asked
sorin-t commented ·

1 Answer

Product request - Smart BMS CL 24/100

Lately we have many requests for installing big RVs with big 24V alternators (100A or more) and also more than 400Ah or more of lithium batteries.

With lithium batteries you should use a DCDC-charger but if you want to (or have to) charge the batteries from the alternator as fast as possible you have to install 2, 3 or more Orion-TR Smart or use 2 BuckBoost 100A (which is way to expensive).

So it would be great to have an easy way to limit the current like it is possible in 12V vehicles with the Smart BMS CL 12/100.

Matthias Lange - DE asked

0 Answers

Followers

94 Posts
89 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Sabrina
0 Points