current limit Image

current limit

No DC current through new Quattro

I have a new Quattro that has 0 DC amps at all times. AC output only works when I have an AC input (generator connected to AC1). It detects the batteries and their voltage, but will not charge or pull power from them. It says inverting when there's no AC input, but then says there's no AC load to power. I've checked all the current settings in VE Connect & Configure, nothing seems to make a difference. Recommendations on settings to check? Or might it be a mechanical failure?

[image]

System when there's no AC input

rebecca-bauman asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

Victron Current Sensor

I'd like to see the output from my 10 kW AC-coupled PV array in the VRM Portal. I bought a 100A CT, only to find that it can't be 'plugged straight in' to my Multiplus II or Cerbo GX. With hindsight, I should have bought an ET340 instead of the ET112. Victron's current sensor should be a good straightforward option, but the spec. is baffling: 7kW, 40A maximum, 175Vac! I don't know about every user, but my PV inverters produce about 240Vac.

Will the Victron current sensor be able to measure my 10kW output? If not, Victron need to produce a Mk II version with a much higher capacity - it'd cost no more to produce, and I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd benefit.

jonny-b asked
jonny-b commented ·

1 Answer

Multiplus not limiting inductive load effect on Induction Generator - Shore Power Curret Limit

I am Dyslexic and have tried to gather info to explain our problem bellow, and been as clear as i can.

TLDR: Shore power limit on a Multiplus does not appear to activate quickly enough to stop inductive load problems with our induction generator and controller. (IGC)

Overview: We are struggling with the detail of what happens when Shore Power Limit, is limiting. (does it have a curve? is it timed? what bandwidth activates it? how does Power Factor effect its activation?) This matters to us because the Shore Power Limit is needed to protect our Hydro induction generator and controller from inductive loads.

Scenario calculations: We live in an off-grid housing coop with Solar and Hydro. We are using the power assist feature on our Multi-plus compact 24v 2000 50-30 230V Which has a Shore power limit of 4.5amps. Latest Firmware. A colour GX screen. Our hydro generator is an induction motor with an Induction Load Controller (IGC). The IGC needs half of the power produced by the hydro as 'headroom' to balance inductive loads.

Edit: (added info)

• The IGC dumps the spare hydro power variably to our immersion hot-water tank / heating element before the Victron AC input.

• We have two 12 volt Rolls S12 290Ah AGM batteries (24v)
  • We have a 250/85 MC4 Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT)
  • We have 2k of solar (angled for summer sun when our hydro is off)
  • And the Multi-plus compact 24v 2000 50-30 230V

• 
The lowest 4.5 amp shore-power low current limit setting on our Victron is 1035W at 230V
  • 
The IGC needs double this to balance the generator 2070W at 230v (9Amps)

• Our hydro produces 2400W @ 230v (10.4Amps) Max stably.

Problem:
When a washing machine (10Amp Max) is powered with element and motor engaged (8-9Amps on a clamp meter) the IGC frequency and voltage are not balanced enough and the washing machine 'blanks off' at cycle points and restarts the portion of the cycle. Other induction loads like fridges and battery chargers are Audibly strained.
The Multiplus switches to Inverting, but not in time to limit the Induction generator effecting the voltage and frequency. With the batteries and solar providing most of the power the induction loads still effect the Induction generator enough for the frequency and voltage to effect the washing machine again. It switches back and forth syncing the waveforms.

Other factors:
I did try narrowing the low and high voltage and frequency range via victron connect 3 and our Colour GX. I did also think about a 'prorotise solar' Ve configure assistant, to protect the AC input a lot of the time, but the same problem would exist when a higher loads are present.
Our washing machine benefits from the Victrons ability to provide more than 2K to the house because it can supplement the 2k from hydro so we are capable of 3K for shorter periods or sunny times.

N.B The IGC dumps the spare hydro power variably to our immersion hot-water tank / heating element before the Victron AC input.

The Question we need help on: can anyone think of a way to find out what is going on at the point the limit kicks in? i.e whether the inductive loads power factors are effecting the Victrons ability to limit? Or where details/settings of this might be online? If I can get this Charger inverter to limit, then i could justify advising the Housing Coop to replace it for a model with an even lower shore power setting. (see bellow) wich would work when our hydro is running lower than 2.4K (when the induction problems are much worse)

Possible solution 1. Buy a different Victron Charger/Invertor with a lower shore power Limit.

• MultiPlus 24/2000/50-32 - 2.4 Amps
  • MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-32 - 3.6 Amps
  • MultiPlus Compact 24/2000/50-30 - 4.4 Amps (Our installed invertor chrager)

Possible solution 2. Buy 2x vicron 16a 24v Bluesmart battery chargers with a Victron Digital Control Display to limit charge current to four 'stages'. Or a larger Skyler 25A charger with variable charge control. But with higher losses and inverter working all the time.

Thanks for reading. Phew that took 6 hours writing!

undergrowth asked
Michelle Konzack answered ·

2 Answers

AC current limit

Does reducing the AC current limit effect the ability for AC connected solar on the system output to push back to the grid? Is it bi directional whereby causing over charge issues?

paul-ham asked
sharpener answered ·

1 Answer

Multi Control GX current limit knob question

New Member and new to the Victron World. I've searched and cant find the answer.

I just purchased the Multi-Control GX(the newer model I think) to pair with my Multi-plus invertor 12/2000/80. The knob on the Multi Control GX, does not feel very smooth.. its very gritty feeling, and has no feedback, like detents or clicks when turning, it just freewheels. Is this normal? or has anyone else noticed this also?

I have not installed the control panel yet, just took it out of the box to inspect but the current limit knob feels very not up to Victron standards for fit and finish. I don't know anyone else that has one to compare.

Thanks

sprintmoto asked
jamesmcclatchey answered ·

1 Answer

charge current limit not reached but cannot go higher, don't know why/which softlimit has been hit

Charge current limit is not reached and it refuses loading more than 260Amp

3 quattro 10000 (3 phase setup) – 14 pylontech US5000 batteries

CCL is 1120Amp – (1120amp/14batteries=80amp)

Graph shows that it sticks at 260amp (260amp/14batteries=18amp)

Quatro10000 has charge current limit of 140amp *3=520amp + the genset can deliver 25kVA, but it only has to give 15kWatt while it can do more.

Which softlimit has been hit and how to increase the charge current please ?

[image]

jdb asked
ejrossouw commented ·

5 Answers

Limit inverter power in 3-phase systems

Hi,

My new installed base is in a heat isolated shed with relatively constant temperature and good ventilation. Winter doesn’t seem to be an issue, the temperature has never dropped under 8°C in the last years3-phase 3x MultiPlus 2 48/3000/35-32

[image]

What I am concerned about is the summers with nowadays usual 35+ °C. Time to time my inverters might run at their max specification power which creates significant heat and heated up already the shed to ~25°C while the outside temperature was about 18°C. I am installing a ventilation system with temp sensor in order to tackle with the heat issue.

In addition, I played a bit with the ESS settings on the GX and my conclusions are as follows.

When there is no “Maximum inverter power” set in the GX, then the inverter will provide the power what is requested on the Critical load output and eventually, it limits itself to its maximum power (I hope) depending on the ambient temperature and the load and compensate from the grid the additionally required power.

However, I have seen the following situation in my 3-phase installed base. I ran 3300W on L3 for about 10min and the inverter didn’t throw any alarm/warning signal stating, that I am overloading the MP2 on that particular phase. In order to avoid any damage, I switched off the extra load.

Then I conducted the tests below playing with the “Limit inverter power” and “Maximum inverter power” in GX under ESS.

The conclusion is that the “Maximum inverter power” corresponds to the power of the combined power of the 3 inverters (MP2) in my 3-phase systems and not the individual inverters. This should be ok in case of parallel systems, but in 3-phase system the “Maximum inverter power” should correspond to the power of the individual phases, instead of the aggregate of them. Or at least it should have the option to select such operational mode.

This way one would be able to set a limit on the inverters serving a particular phase instead of the whole installation. The GX actually handles (to a certain degree) a 3-phase MP2 system as a single unit.

In my particular case, if I want to make sure during the hot summer days the inverters are not fried, then I switch on the “Limit inverter power” with a certain max inverter power.

Let’s say I take into consideration the Multi’s datasheet:

Continuous output power at 40°C (per Multi): 2200W

and set this value for the “Maximum inverter power”. This will serve me well in terms of not generating too much heat, but I am wasting lots of solar power -assuming the solar generates more than required- because the MP2s will limit the output power at 2200W aggregate power with a possible scenario of L1=L2=L3=733W from the inverter. (It will limit the power to the grid too because it is also inverter power)

Then I could set the max power to 3x 2200 = 6600W (concerning the 3-phases). If I do this, I could come to the scenario: L1=5000W load, L2=L3=1000W (7000W aggregate), which would result in the inverter on L1 will run at its max (whatever the factory set its limit to) power and overheating. The rest of the power on this particular phase is compensated from the grid of course. The other inverters are happily dealing with their own 1000W each.

However, if I was able to decide what the “Maximum inverter power” corresponds to, whether per system or per phase, then I could chose for example per phase and I would limit each of my inverter’s output power to 2200W in the hot summer days in order to avoid overheating, yet using the inverters more efficiently.

There should be a knob in GX to switch between these modes, something like this (see below).

[image]

I don’t think that his is too big of a challenge, so this should be put on the list of new features.

See my experiments below.

Test Case1:

Limit inverter power 1: YES

Maximum inverter power 1: 1000W

Battery is charged over “Active SOC limit”: YES

Active SOC limit: 55%

SOC: 89%

Fans stopped spinning -> MP2 passing through the Grid portion, it is not converted in any way, therefore, no loss occurs on the Grid portion.

1 : corresponds to full inverter power, in case of multi-phase systems the combined power of all phases

Critical loads:

Critical loads = Grid + Discharging -> 3200W = 2200W + 1000W

Battery:

Charging = PV Charger – Discharging – Charging & Calculation Losses

732W = 1818W – 1000W – 86W

Inverter (MultiPlus 2):

Discharging = Maximum inverter power

1000W = 1000W

Test Case2:

Limit inverter power 1: YES

Maximum inverter power 1: 2400W

Battery is charged over “Active SOC limit”: YES

Active SOC limit: 55%

SOC: 86%

Fans started spinning -> MP2 inverts all the required power, because it is below the maximum inverter power. There is no Grid portion, all power comes from the PV Charger and Battery combined

1 : corresponds to full inverter power, in case of multi-phase systems the combined power of all phases

Critical loads:

Critical loads = Grid + Discharging

3500W = 1100W + 2400W

Battery:

Charging = PV Charger – Discharging – Charging & Calculation Losses

-1360W = 1180W – 2400W – 140W

Inverter (MultiPlus 2):

Discharging = Maximum inverter power

2400W = 2400W

dcsonka asked

0 Answers

Limit MultiPlus-II feed-in current in parallel installation

Hello,

is it possible to limit feed-in current individually in Multis in parallel installation? I want to limit feed-in current to grid to 8 A for each Multi to achieve max. 16 A per phase.

In Grid code settings for Europe there is "Max. AC current xx.x % of INom" desribed as "Maximum AC current for charge and feed in". If I set this parameter to 72.5 % (approx. 8 A) in both Multis, will it work as I expected?

[image]

Many thanks for answer.

motylu asked
larsea-dk commented ·

3 Answers

ESS ET112 current limiting

Hi guys I need a little help and understanding when it comes to the ET112. So I get this is part of the ESS system is this the limiting device that the DNO talks about as they talk about software or hardware limit?

What do people that have the ET112 set to? as the DNO ask for An import or load limiting device is a piece of hardware and/or software that limits the demand (i.e. the amount of current drawn) of a premises. The device must monitor the full demand of the premises. Please ensure that the Maximum Demand entered on this form reflects the fail-safe setting of the load limiting device.

Is the inverter also a load limiting device as it can only 50amps when no battery storage is there. I’m not totally sure what they are requesting this? if someone could explain so I can get a better understanding I would be grateful. The system that I have in mined would use two ET112’s one for solar PV which I don’t think they are interested in as the solar is already up and running G98 the other ET112 would monitor the hole incoming mains after the CU main switch so whole house like they ask for but I’ve shed two circuits from the Victron that run directly after the ET112 and don’t go though the Victron as they are too power hungry so dryer and washing machine is grid only and not on crit load I’ve left a blank so a future EV setup could also go grid side. Thank you in advance

daza asked
daza answered ·

4 Answers

Pylontech Charge Current Limit

I have 3 Pylontech US2000 Plus connected in parallel with a MultiPlus 48/3000/35 and a MPPT 150/45.

The CCL is set at 30A by the battery, is this because the MultiPlus can only charge with 35A and the battery knows this? I haven't connected the PV panels yet but when I do should I see this value raise to 75A as the MPPT can provide an extra 45A?

The DCL is set to 75A so I'm assuming that all 3 batteries are being detected and everything in the setup is fine. Any comments welcome please and thank you.

[image]

spudgun asked
alaskannoob commented ·

5 Answers

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 turning the load "On" then "Off" then back "On".

I purchased a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 Charge Controller. I am having a problem with the charge controller cycling the load "On" then "Off" then back "On".

Description of failure:

1. The charge controller will show that the load is set to "On".

2. A 12v fan is connected that draws a max of 9W of power or a car cell phone charger is plugged in (without the phone connected or charging)

3. The charger controller will show that the load is turned to "Off"

4. Have a pause for 1 to 2 seconds

5. The load will then be turned to "On"

Notes: The charge controller never shows a voltage below 12.6 volts from the battery so I know that it is not pulling a large load from the battery.

I don't see how a 12v phone charger without a phone connected could be tripping the 20A capacity of the controller.

sailboattn asked
Pat commented ·

2 Answers

Input Current Limit setting for dual Quattro in parallel?

I'm connected to 30A shore power with two Quattros in parallel. Should the VRM portal show 30A or 60A for the Input Current Limit? I noticed that if I change it to 30A and download the VE Configure file it will show 15A on each Quattro. If I then change it to 30A on each Quattro and upload the file the VRM portal shows 60A. I had assumed that the VRM portal Input Current Limit should match the shore power limit but it appears to add the two quattros together. I'm connecting L1 to Quattro #1 and L2 to Quattro #2 so with a 30A connection it's only feeding power to one Quattro anyway. I just want to make sure I'm not pulling 60A from that circuit. Thoughts?

jasonsele asked
jasonsele answered ·

2 Answers

Does limiting charging current on MPPT also affect load output?

I have a 100/20 SmartSolar MPPT charge controller with a load output that I would like to use to charge a 60Ah lead-acid battery.

Does limiting the charging current to 12A in the app (20% of 60Ah) also affect the load output? Or could I, under adequate sun conditions, get the 12A to the battery and draw additional current from the load output (for instance 2.1A to charge a phone through a cigarette lighter plug) so in that case get to 14.1A?

Thanks!

matt13 asked
matt13 commented ·

1 Answer

AC Current sensor distance from Multiplus

My Multiplus installation will be a significant distance from my DB board and ATS, where my generator is wired for backup supply. The area where my main DB board is installed reaches about 35-40 degrees Celcius in summer (direct afternoon sunlight [in South Africa])

The distance is about 15m.

I would like to be able to start up my generator in certain situations, but need to limit current towards battery charging.

What would be the solution for this?

whjmarais asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus2/Bluesolar limited/throttled solar production

System:

2 x Multiplus ii 48/3000/35-32 in parallel

1 x Bluesolar MPPT 150/70

8 x Trojan T125

18 x Renesola 300w panels 6 strings with 3 panels per string

Running ESS feeding excess to the grid.

I started off with 1 multiplus and 9 panels with average output as per graph.

[image]

I then upgraded with another 9 identical panels. The output was capped at just over 2kw.

[image]

And after adding another multiplus it is now capped at 3,6kw from 10am to 2pm.

[image]

Thinking that the inverter current is derated due to temperature as the internal fans switch on at 09:30 in the mornings already with room temperature between 20-23 degrees C, I have installed 2 120mm ac fans on each inverter and another one on the mppt ducting air into the bottom intakes. Before the mppt was almost hot to the touch, and now cool after installing the fan from 10-4pm. The fans made practically no change to the solar output.

MPPT current at the peak readings is 108V and 33A that is just over 50% capacity. At 3,6kw production the inverter is running at exactly 60% of the rated output. Any suggestions as to why production is limited or capped?

wannibi asked
Paul answered ·

4 Answers

Followers

Topic resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic
141 Posts
136 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

JohnC
280 Points