current limit Image

current limit

Current transformer, "amplified/clean" output for Multiplus 2 input?

I am keen to know if such a device/project has been attempted or produced...?

The problem is really specific to my situation. I have a current transformer for the Multiplus 2. There are many threads regarding max length of cable, some have claimed that with twisted pair/screened cable a distance of up to 30m has worked? So, my question is how can I extend that even further..? Thoughts... I could filter the signal and amplify it to send, and set the correct level at the other end(analogue)? Or, using arduino device A/D the signal at the "current transformer end" then D/A at the receiving(Multiplus) end (digital, this could also be done with a cheap esp wi-fi solution?). I could of course buy an energy meter and fit that, which in my case, has a number of issues regarding space available and also would mean some sort of network connection at the send end (not to mention more expense).
Any help or ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks

gazza asked

0 Answers

What is the current rating of the Multiplus 12/1600VA/70 for AC-OUT-1 with power assist active?

I'm trying to determine the external breaker needed to go between the Multiplus 1600 and the AC Distribution Panel and am unable to find this information in any documentation.

The link below states to use a 75A breaker for the Multiplus 12/3000/120 due to the 50A transfer switch current and the additional 25A when power assist is active. https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2020/10/30/how-to-install-a-multiplus-inverter-charger/#:~:text=The%20service%20manual%20suggests%20using,for%20the%2012%2F3000%20multiplus.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

ravens asked
Kevin Windrem commented ·

1 Answer

Small alternator 16A with Lithium

Hi,

What recommendation would you share to charge 90Ah LiFePO4 with an alternator rated 16A.

Alternator is not a smart version, don't have any control in case of high temperature.

I'm quite sure that putting it without any Orion-Tr Smart would blow the alternator in a while.

OrionTr-Smart 12/12-18 is almost good, but since cannot set the current limit, it doesn't help too much.

KR,

Lcas

lucasnowak asked
deminimis answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus-II AC Input Current Limit -> Per Leg or Total?

I've got a new installation connected to grid power. Does the AC Input Current Limit setting limit power on L1 and L2 individually or does it limit the total amount of power available for L1 and L2 combined?

TIA

jm0278 asked

0 Answers

WARNING - RS 450 Controllers DERATE CURRENT SEVERLEY OVER 57V !!!

I would like someone from Victron to answer my question on the above title. I Like Victron equipment in general as the feedback via remote console & VRM is far superior to any other product I have tried. Over the past several years I have spent considerable money switching to a complete Victron setup. My RS 450/100 is the latest addition.

But, why on earth would Victron release a controller RS 450 series that DERATES the charging current severely once the voltage rises above 57V ??? I have a 48V traction FLA deep cycle battery which requires a 60V absorption charge. Whilst the RS 450 is in Bulk mode with the voltage well below 57V I see around 3000W on each tracker (100A total) but the moment the voltage approaches & exceeds 57V the charging current is SEVERELY throttled down. By the time the battery voltage reaches the actual absorption point (this morning that is 61V as the battery is quite cold) the charge current produced by the RS 450 is only about 1200W on each tracker. THAT IS A LOSS OF 60% !!! This means the absorption set point takes much longer to reach due to the throttling down of the charge current whilst stll supposedly bulk charging.

I find this problem unacceptable. I have been trying to figure out why they would release such a product then I see that the charging routine on their Lithium 48V batteries is around 56 - 57V so, is this a ploy to coherse everyone to purchase VERY EXPENSIVE Lithium batteries ??? those of us who choose to remain with a much cheaper 'proven' technology like FLA get a controller that simply will not charge these batteries as it should. There is absolutely no mention of the 57V derate in any of the manuals for the RS 450 series (unless it has been added recently) or I would have seen it before my purchase. What Next?? will we see firmware updates on other controllers that will also derate them above 57V... it could be happening already I do not know. Personally, I only bought the HV controller because my latest arrays are 60 meters away from the control room so a higher voltage controller seemed the right choice... how wrong I was, the RS 450 sucks!!

I hope Victron is listening to these posts you should not be manipulating software in your products to coherse people in to buying only a certain type of very expensive battery. For example my FLA 48v 1000AH battery cost me 5K Euro brand new and will last 10+ years cycling 70 - 80% SOC daily. An equivalent Victron Lithium battery 600AH cost 30K Euro and will last ?? years cycling 20 - 80% SOC daily. I bet the unknown figure for the Lithium is not x6 longer as is the cost comparison - even if it were true, a battery that lasts 60+ years is a pontless investment for a retired electrical engineer at 60 years old, even if I had the money.

Please Victron fix this issue quickly it can be done with a simple firmware update. It doesn't matter which battery type I choose in the settings menu the same derate occurs, this is ludicrous and a huge waste of 10 KW PV potential.

rithym1964 asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

4 Answers

48Volt 100Ah BLSBatt Max Discharge setting

I have a question regarding changing parameters on a BSLBatt. I installed the 100Ah battery and upon commissioning it via a Cerbo I saw that the Max DC Discharge Current setting for the Battery as displayed via the Cerbo, is 105A. Both the Victron/BSLBatt setup manual and the battery specs indicate that that setting should be around 150-160 Amps DC (30A AC equivalent). My problem is I have one 2kw electric motor that trips the battery due to overload. (The machine has a slow start due to how it works - it is a big bandsaw).

My questions are
1- Am I correct in saying that parameter is set wrong in the battery?
2 - Is there a way I can change that setting myself via software or must it go back to the local agents for correction ?
3 - Can a support person do it online via Cerbo or Teams?

Lourens asked
nickdb edited ·

2 Answers

Victron Quattro Power assist configuration problem ?

Hello guys,

I'm living on my sailboat, equipped with a Victron Quattro 12V/220V/3000W and a marine Genset. I'm actually trying to find a way to start my diving compressor, which is a 220V single phase motor 2.2kw, his starting current peak is about 45A.

My genset is a small model, and himself He's not able to provide enough to compensate the Starting peak current demand. So i connect the genset with the Quattro and in theory the genset power + the power assist should be enough to start this diving compressor. But it's not working, i first believe it's because my genset is really to small, but in fact not. See below another test i did and please if you have any suggestion don't hesitate to answer.

When i connect this diving compressor directly to the 220V/16A outlet of the harbor, the diving compressor start and run perfectly.

When i connect this 220V/16A outlet to my "AC in" of the Quattro and the diving compressor is connected to the "AC out", the diving compressor is not able to start! If I'm right, the Diving compressor should be able to start as the Harbor outlet is able to do it, and at least if a little Amps is required for the starting peak, the Quattro should be providing it and the total of this both current should allow the start of the diving compressor. But it's not doing it, I can just hear the Diving compressor motor "growling" but not more!

Do you know if there is any parameter(s)that i should adjust in the Quattro, to allow the full Shore outlet going into the AC out, or if there is a "protection timer" to adjust or something like that ?

Because actually i don't understand if the Quattro is absorbing power of the outlet shore and from that the AC out is not strong enough to start my compressor. Or if the Quattro is stopping the current by the configuration of a thermical protection, timer protection or any "protection" that limit the AC out !

Thank you very much for all the suggestions and ideas that you can offer.

Best regards.

Laurent

laurent74 asked
laurent74 answered ·

3 Answers

MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 120 - AC input current limit - split phase

When using input current limiting with the Multiplus-II, is the current rating for 1 leg, or both on split phase. For example, if I have a 50 amp input split phase input, do I select 50, or 100.

phil-garver asked

0 Answers

MultiPlus-II exceeds AC-in Current Limit setting during Scheduled Charge

I have a MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 connected in-line to the grid, as well as a battery and PV system using a SmartSolar MPPT VE.can 150/100 rev2. Everything is connected to a Cerbo-GX, ESS is installed, DVCC is active.

Due to the contractual power limit from my energy provider, I have a 25A magnetic circuit breaker installed upstream of the MultiPlus. I have also set the MultiPlus AC-in Current Limit to 23.5A (a bit lower than the breaker, just in case), to avoid tripping the breaker in case of a load spike.

Here's the problem: I've tried activating ESS Scheduled Charge to top-up the battery at night (when it is cheaper) but every time Scheduled Charge kicks in the 25A breaker trips. If I turn Scheduled Charge off, everything goes back to normal (once I flip the breaker).

So my question is, does the AC-in Current Limit setting actually limit ALL of the AC current input to the MultiPlus, or does it only work for the "pass-through" AC? Would the "charger" part of the MultiPlus ignore this current limit and draw the full 70A from AC that it is capable of?

Otherwise, I can't figure out why the breaker trips when Scheduled Charge kicks in.

Any ideas?

rtj asked
rtj answered ·

2 Answers

Pylontech Charge Current Limit

I have 3 Pylontech US2000 Plus connected in parallel with a MultiPlus 48/3000/35 and a MPPT 150/45.

The CCL is set at 30A by the battery, is this because the MultiPlus can only charge with 35A and the battery knows this? I haven't connected the PV panels yet but when I do should I see this value raise to 75A as the MPPT can provide an extra 45A?

The DCL is set to 75A so I'm assuming that all 3 batteries are being detected and everything in the setup is fine. Any comments welcome please and thank you.

[image]

spudgun asked
nickdb commented ·

5 Answers

Orion-tr 1212-9 - noise during current limiting, won't start during current limiting by remote

[image]

if the orion is in current limitation, i.e. the load at the output is so high that it has to be limited, then it cannot be switched on via the remote. The LED turns on, but the output does not go on. You have to switch the remote first and then switch on the load.

also

when the orion is in the current limit, it makes a very unpleasant loud noise.

i would like to use the orion to charge a battery, i just sketched it very simply.

lars78 asked
lars78 answered ·

3 Answers

Multiplus charge current isn't reaching its potential maximum?

i'm charging my batteries from a generator on Ac input- 1, it won't charge at more than 21 A DC even though i have set the DC charge limit to 35A, i have also played with the AC current limit but it still won't charge at a higher current, any ideas?

(Multiplus 48/3000/35-16 230V, pylontech us2000b x2)

Thanks

Lief.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

lief ryan asked
offroadflow commented ·

4 Answers

Multiplus-II GX not obeying Discharge Current Limit

Hello everybody,

my Multiplus-II GX, combined with 2 Pylontech US2000 (new) and an EM24 is configured as a grid tied ESS system (AC IN connected only). There's also a grid tied PV micro inverter (Hoymiles). The Multiplus II GX detected the batteries correctly. The Discharge Current Limit (Pylontech battery -> Parameters) is 50.0A.

The batteries are connected to the Multiplus-II GX via the supplied wires, there's a DC circuit breaker (80V 63A, CBI Electric QYD18U263B0) in the positive connection.

Today there was a higher load (baking oven), the Multiplus-II GX supplied power. The circuit breaker tripped, what surprised me. The Multiplus-II GX does not seem to obey the Discharge Current Limit. Is that the normal behavior?

If that's the case, why is there no Limit discharge current setting?

What's the maximum power the Multiplus-II GX will deliver (if there's demand) in a grid tied ESS configuration (AC IN connected only)? The peak power of 5500W?

So the workaround seems to be activate Limit inverter power and set the Maximum inverter power to 2000W?

(expected dissipation of about 200-250W and a safety margin; https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Output-rating-operating-temperature-and-efficiency.pdf)

I read that Victron recommends a 125A circuit breaker, but I want the Multiplus-II GX not to exceed the Discharge Current Limit of 50A (recommended by Pylontech).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

athlonfx asked
athlonfx commented ·

2 Answers

Cerbo GX shows wrong Quattro input for Input Current Limit

We have installed two independant Quattros connected to a CerboGX. One through VE Bus and the other through MK3 to USB adapter.

Both Quattro units have Shore power on AC Input 2. One has a generator connected to AC input 1. AC input 1 (generator) is set to 40 amps and "Controlled by remote" is disabled. AC input 2 (Shore power) is set to 32 amps and "Controlled by Remote" is enabled.

On VRM on remote console I can see "Input Current Limit" is 40 Amp. It cannot be adjustable. I cannot see the 32 amp input current parameter.

On the Garmin MFD I can see Input Current Limit is 32 amps. Not yet sure if it can be adjusted but will know tomorrow afternoon. I hope so.

It appears the CerboGX is displaying the wrong input. It appears to be displaying the input disabled from adjustment rather than the input which is enabled for adjutment.

Has anyone else seen this? Cerbo Firmware V2.75. Is this a software anomoly or have I somehow misunderstood how this works.

[image]

[image]

trevor-bird asked
codingparadox answered ·

3 Answers

changing AC current limit via Cerbo GX and digital input

Hello,

how can i set the ac input current limit to 10A if a digital input on the Cerbo GX gets closed?

Its a 3 phase Multiplus II 5000 with BYD LVS and solaredge via AC1. All firmware is up to date.

suggarman asked
suggarman answered ·

3 Answers

Followers

106 Posts
101 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Sabrina
0 Points