fuses Image

fuses

60A 58vdc (48vdc) MEGA Fuse. Do they exist??

Need a 60a mega fuse for 48vdc system but can find them anywhere. Meant for Victron SSCC 150/45. Can't find any 70Vdc ones either. Anyone know where in the US these unicorns can be procured?

duswami asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

1 Answer

Will the Fuse LEDs on Lynx Distributor illuminate without the 4-pin cable supplied with unit?

Trying to use the Lynx Distributor (and Power In) without the Lynx Ion Shunt or BMS (using BYD batteries). I had assumed the Fuse LEDs would illuminate with a working fuse in place and powered, however a line on the old Victron Live page for DC Distribution Systems suggests that this small data cable is used to power the LEDs (rather than taking power from the busbar itself). I cannot get the LEDs to illuminate - are the LEDs useless unless using the Lynx Shunt? Because Lynx Shunt uses CANbus, it cannot be used in conjunction with BYD on a CCGX (though I think VGX would support it).

midsummerenergy asked
teddysx3 edited ·

6 Answers

Breaker & Fuse sizing Multiplus II 48/3000 35

A bit new to this so apologies in advance.

Equipment:

MultiPlus II 48/3000 35 120v

SSCC MPPT 150/45

Lynx Dist

SmartShunt

4 x 12v 200ah lead acid bats (48v)

Solar array output 1480w 96v 20amp

So I thought I had fusing with the lynx distributor and breaker sizing for the Multiplus all figured out, but doubting myself again.

First, fuse sizing the battery, charge controller and inverter at the lynx distributor.... I figured if the inverter with power assist runs at the full 3000w off my 48v batteries it draws approx 62 Amps. So, I'm thinking 60+ amp fuse is correct for the battery, CC and inverter??? The inverter manual states that the max charging current is 35 Amps. Consequently, on the AC side, I have a 60amp breaker for both the AC IN and AC OUT in the service panel. But after reading endless posts I'm doubting myself. Anyone see anything off here?

duswami asked
seb71 commented ·

2 Answers

fusing parallel connected superpacks

Hi Guys,

I have 4 Superpacks 12.8v/200Ah connected in parallel and would require some expert advise on how to properly fuse them for maximum safety and efficiency.

According to the specs each of my Superpack could provide a constant discharge of 70 amps and up to 100 amps for 10 seconds before their internal BMS disconnects them.

Right now I have each of them fused with a 50 amp MEGA fuse before going to a “battery only busbar”. All my MPPTs and Inverters are on another busbar and the connection between these busbars is fused with another 180 amp MEGA fuse. This is kind of unsatisfying because my 4 batteries could provide 280 amps in total.

I was initially considering 70 amp MEGA fuses per battery but they are apparently to slow to trigger before the BMS shuts off. According to the specs I have found a 70 amp MEGA fuse would require more than 10 seconds to trigger, even at a 100 amp load, which makes them kind of pointless. I would also like to avoid a chain reaction like situation where each of the fuses trigger after the first battery disconnects….

The dealer where I got the batteries from recommended to only fuse the busbar itself but this feels to me like an absolute no-go safety-wise.

My only idea would be to switch from MEGA to ANL fuses (which are faster reacting) but from what I have seen these ANL fuses get pretty hot and waste a lot of energy them self.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/discussions….

Thanks and cheers,

Chris

clh asked
clh edited ·

0 Answers

Multiplus II 48/5000 AC-in LS? 16A/20A?

Hi

Kann mir einer sagen was für ein LS in Deutschland zur Absicherung des AC-in zulässig ist? Nur 16a, oder auch 20a?

Danke

klosk asked
klosk edited ·

3 Answers

I keep blowing 400 amp t-fuses when charging at 240 amps

Hello everyone,

Scenario

10 KW onan generator

cerbo gx set to accept 50 amps

800 amps renogy batteries

2 multiplus 3000 wires in split phase.

400 amp t fuse

I set both inverters to charge at 120 amps the 400 amp t-fuse blows. If I set them both to 100 amps charging it seems ok. Why is this happening?

I thought it was because my solar charger was on at the same time when the first fuse blew, but it is still happening. I was bringing the power up from 62% charge and it got as far as 71% before the last fuse blew. This time it even melted the fuse holder.

Can I not use the full 240 amps charging? It seems I could do this before but can not do it recently without the fuse blowing.

Why is 200 amps charging blowing a 400 amp fuse?

Gary

JedTheFed asked
jefffay edited ·

3 Answers

Victron Mega Fuse slow blown issues

A 100 amp Victron Mega fuse blowns at 250amp accroding to this video (289) Testing 100A Fuses with 100A of current. - YouTube

I am concern then how to choose the correct fuse for a 100a wire capacity, a 60amp?

sebastianlehmann asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

Directionality/polarity of circuit breaker for charge controller -> battery

What "direction" to I wire the breaker between the batteries and charge controller? Do I put the controller on the line or the load? Presumably power flows in both direction, which I read is unsafe for DC breaker... but this application seems very common. I am using a 100/20 MPPT with a BlueSea Series A 25A breaker.

My guess is that the batteries go on the load side because a majority of the power flows from the controller to the batteries, but that wouldn't account for nighttime when the batteries are powering the controller.

I primarily want a breaker so I can easily disconnect the controller when not in use to avoid unneeded draw.

gfhughes asked
gfhughes edited ·

1 Answer

Mega fuse holder tolerance

The Mega Fuse holder I recently bought has a bolt centre to bolt centre on +/- 52mm not 50.8.

As a result the fuse will not fit on without either re-drilling the holes in the fuse or forcing the fuse down which I suspect will break the fuse ( i do not want to try this).

Since I only have one fuse holder I have none to compare it to.

Is this normal or are they meant to be exact?

chamtrev asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

Shorepower fuse blows with Victron Multiplus 1600

I have a new Victron multiplus installed in my boat. Connected to my 5 KW Diesel Generator all works perfectly. But connected to shorepower, the main shorepower fuse on the boat and on the quai is blowing. I already tried a direct cable from shorepower to the AC Input of the Victron. No change

maupiticornelius asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

Wiring diagram feedback

Hi all,

I have already bought most of the larger Victron components and batteries, but didn't want to buy all the smaller items (cables, fuses, busbars, ...) until I had the entire diagram figured out for my campervan. This is what I've come up with (don't shoot my paint skills, haha). I would highly appreciate any feedback on my setup before I start buying the rest.

Thank you in advance!

J

[image]

durovenia asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Victron Orion 24/12 25a Max Output Current + Fuse Sizing

Hi All,

I'm looking to order a Victron Orion 24/12 25a Converter to power 12v domestic boat electrics from 24v battery system. Few quick questions:

1. Do we know for how long the max 35a output current rating is recommended? There's a small chance my 12v draw may jump above 25a for approx. 5 mins when my 12v diesel heater startup glow plug is on (it draws 10a!)

2. Assuming it is advisable to work to a 35a max output current, I'll have a 40a fuse on the 12v output cable and 20a fuse on the 24v input cable (because 35a @ 12v = 17.5a @ 24v). Does this sound OK?

3. Or, if 25a is the strict maximum output I should plan for, would it be advisable to fit a 25a breaker to the 12v output to protect the Orion if draw does go above 25a? (it's pretty unlikely this will ever happen, as everything would need to be on, inc. horn, headlight, bilge pump, water pump etc)

Thanks

tara-dee asked
kevgermany commented ·

11 Answers

Do I need fuse on Orion-Tr Smart Input and Output?

1) I have a travel travel that I pull with a tow vehicle. I plan to put the Orion-Tr Smart in the trailer, and have it powered with the 12V from the 7-pin connector on the trailer hitch. Do I need a fuse on the input side of the Orion? Or would this be redundant with the fuse for the 7-pin connector in the tow vehicle (presumably 30A)?

2) My batteries are already protected by a circuit breaker (placed near the batteries) that is appropriately sized for the gauge/length of the cable. Would it hurt to have an additional breaker on the output of the Orion? Should this second breaker be sized to the device (18A) or to the cable (which is already protected at 80A at the battery)?

wandering-parakeet asked
kevgermany commented ·

4 Answers

Do I need fuse on BlueSolar Input and Output?

1) Do I need a fuse on the input side of the Bluesolar? Other vendors recommend this, but I don't see it in the Bluesolar user manual.

2) My batteries are already protected by a circuit breaker (placed near the batteries) that is appropriately sized for the gauge/length of the cable. Would it hurt to have an additional breaker on the output of the Bluesolar? Should this second breaker be sized to the device (30A) or to the cable (which is already protected at 80A at the battery)?

wandering-parakeet asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

Can I use a MIDI fuse meant for 48V products for a 12V circuit?

I'm looking to protect a 12v circuit with a midi fuse meant for 48v. Is there any harm in doing so?

I bought two of these midi fuse holders and two of these midi fuses.

I'm planning on using them in the parts circled in red in my 12v circuit.

I noticed the midi fuses are described as:

MIDI-fuse 30A/58V for 48V products (1 pc)

Would it be a problem to use it in my circuit?

platypus asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Followers

167 Posts
64 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

There are currently no experts identified for this topic. Can you answer questions in this topic area? Community members who provide answers that are marked as correct earn reputation and may become recognized as topic experts.