lynx shunt Image

lynx shunt

Two different Lynx Shunt, one bus, one Cerbo

I have two different battery banks and two Lynx Shunt.

Both are visible with the Cerbo GX with ID 0 and 1, and also seen in VRM

But for the moment only one bank/shunt can be monitored.

How to get the two Lynx Shunt be monitored ?

I also have a VE.Can/NMEA cable and it is unusable. Data from both shunts are seen under Battery Bank 0 by different NMEA displays, instead of Battery Bank 0 and Battery Bank 1.

Any help will be welcome.

stephane-silvestre asked

0 Answers

Lynx Distributor Red LED - But Fuse Not Blown.

Hello,

Hoping I can get some help here, I am installing 2 new Multiplus-II in parallel system and all seems to be working well except i get all LED lights as red on the lynx distributor when I have AC power on and the inverters are charging. I have tested all the new fuses just via continuity test and the batteries are getting charged.

The even stranger thing is this: When I put the 120x2 3000 12v 50a Multiplus in standalone operation, they light will be green, then turn red after a period of time, then green again, but as soon as I put them in parallel and they are both charging the batteries from AC power, the led's on the lynx distributor stay red.... I have the battery protect connected to one slot on the lynx, 2 inverters (multiplus-II) each in its own slot, and the final slot is taken up by my BIM to chassis battery/alternator. The batteries are connected to the Lynx shunt via the end posts (where most people would connect the lynx power in). All the components have shutoff switches in between them.

Any help in understanding the Red LED's when under load would be greatly appreciated. As soon as I turn off the load the led's go off, and only the one green in the center of the distributor is lit. The lynx shunt stays green in any scenario.

Update - Even in standalone when the lynx distributor is under load the lights turn red. I have taken everything back apart and verified every connection but no matter what, under load, I get red lights on the lynx distributor. @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) - Either load from chargers or load from the coach, ie when I turn on a microwave and a heater, it happens every time. I have ordered another lynx distributor to see if maybe it is a hardware board fault? I can't think of anything else it would be... Thanks for any advice in advance.

I have raised this with my retailer (CR for multiplus, and another company for the lynx) and they stated they would open a ticket with Victron, but have heard anything. I think this is an odd one, but maybe Victron staff have ran across this before?

cory cantrell asked
neoneddy answered ·

7 Answers

How to disconnect battery in an emergency when using Lynx power system?

I am planning a setup to use a Lynx Distributor for batter input, then Lynx Shunt, and another Lynx Distributor to the loads. Management will be a Cerbo.

Question: In such a configuration what are people doing for emergency battery disconnect switching?

jw1971 asked
duswami edited ·

7 Answers

Battery Temperature monitoring with Lynx Shunt

I have't found a definitive answer on this, the Lynx shunt temperature sensor attached to the positive or negative battery terminal or does it not matter? There little info in the manual.

Thankyou in advance

southsideph asked
Stefanie answered ·

1 Answer

Lynx Smart BMS still needs Battery protect?

From reading the manual, the Lynx Smart BMS combined with a CerboGX does not seem to need battery protect as it performs that function itself, yet all the circuit diagrams I can find seem to still include battery protect.

Can anyone explain?

sweyn asked
sweyn commented ·

1 Answer

Fuse blows when Lynx Dist powered. Why?!

When I turn on (close) the battery disconnect to power the lynx distributor the 125A 48V (Victron) fuse blows on the battery connection In the Lynx. The only thing connected to the bus bars on the lynx distributor distributor is the inverter and the batteries. I checked and rechecked polarity and everything is correct. The 48v batteries are reading 53V. The inverter is off. A smart shunt if correctly installed between the bat negative and the negative bus bar on the distributor. The shunt bat plus and aux cables are connected to the bat pos terminal and the mid point positive. As far as I can tell everything is connected properly and secure and there is no reverse polarity. What would cause the fuse to blow When the Disconnect is closed (on) and the distributor is powered?

duswami asked
duswami commented ·

1 Answer

Lynx shunt reference voltage?

Hi,

Anyone know the lynx shunt reference voltage? Would like to attach my BMV PCB board to it so I can still use it.

thanks!

dgorman asked
gr8vibes commented ·

1 Answer

Will the Fuse LEDs on Lynx Distributor illuminate without the 4-pin cable supplied with unit?

Trying to use the Lynx Distributor (and Power In) without the Lynx Ion Shunt or BMS (using BYD batteries). I had assumed the Fuse LEDs would illuminate with a working fuse in place and powered, however a line on the old Victron Live page for DC Distribution Systems suggests that this small data cable is used to power the LEDs (rather than taking power from the busbar itself). I cannot get the LEDs to illuminate - are the LEDs useless unless using the Lynx Shunt? Because Lynx Shunt uses CANbus, it cannot be used in conjunction with BYD on a CCGX (though I think VGX would support it).

midsummerenergy asked
teddysx3 edited ·

6 Answers

Smart shunt placement with lynx distributor

Confused about smart shunt placement with lynx distributor. My understanding is after the Neg battery terminal and before the first load or charge point. In the case of using the Lynx Distributor, my batteries, charge controller and inverter are all on the bus bars. Does this mean I go from neg terminal to shunt to Lynx distributor in-line with by battery connection to the distributor?

duswami asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Grounding with the Lynx Distributor

Can the Lynx Distributor (LD) ground nut be used for multiple ground connections like a bus bar, and then earth ground that connection to my AC service panel. I have a Multiplus II, MPPT Charge controller both chasis grounded on the LD grounding lug. I want to add my battery ground to the LD ground nut and then earth ground the LD to the grounding bus bar in my AC service panel. I'm following local codes but want to be sure this is a permissible connection. Also, I'm using the SmartShunt, would I ground the neg bat terminal or one of the terminals on the shunt instead. Thank you, any insight or opinions (regardless of code) is appreciated.

duswami asked

0 Answers

Is there a way to update the firmware on the Lynx shunt specifically, or could it be that it is defective in some way and needs to be replaced?
Hello everyone, I have installed a Victron Energy system in my motorhome and am having some issues with it. My Lynx shunt does not report battery charge or amperage draw. I looked up the blinking orange light in the manual and it is a firmware error. I connected the Cerbo GX to the internet and updated the firmware through VictronConnect, however, this did not fix the issue with the Lynx.
Is there a way to update the firmware on the Lynx shunt specifically, or could it be that it is defective in some way and needs to be replaced?
Don't mind the dangling ethernet cable. I was testing different ones in case some were faulty.

[image]

partimefriend asked
Stefanie answered ·

1 Answer

Extra wires to sense current on lynx shunt

Hey all I had no hits the other day asking about the reference voltage of the lynx shunt. I tried asking Victron directly but got the answer that the lynx shunt uses a range of voltages to sense current. Which doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no EE.

My question is then, does anyone know if it's possible to add an extra current sensing device to the circled locations in the attached photo on the shunt. Essentially using the shunt as a normal 'dumb' shunt for the device I'm trying to hook up? Thanks for any and all help.

[image]

mattguy asked
mattguy answered ·

2 Answers

Lynx Distribution (with Shunt module) - can this be used for 24V system with 4 AGM bateries ?

I would like to make a tidy installation for my new battery bank consisting of 4 x 12V 100Ah AGM Batteries making a 200Ah 24V system, with advanced features that Lynx Shunt module offers. I found only the system schematics for a 12V Lead batteries system on Victron site. My idea is to connect 1st two batteries in series (in order to get 24v) and then in parallel via Lynx Power-In module with the 2nd pair connected in series - does this makes any sense, and if yes, are there any issues with such a setup?

Additional reason why I would like to invest money in Lynx modules now, is that I can easily convert the setup to Lithium batteries in the future.

The battery bank will be installed as Service battery bank on a 24m motor yacht FYI.

Hope that I explained well, apologies in advance, as I am an humble DIY electrician only. :)

marinaio asked

0 Answers

Lynx Shunt Fuse Incredibly Hot

Can anyone shed light on why my 500 AMP fuse in my Lynx Shunt is cooking? Right now it's at 280 degrees F (138 degrees C). I'm charging 4 x 12v 200AH LiFePO4 batteries at max (limited by me) current of 160 AMP (2 x Multiplus 2's 12/120/3000 set up in split phase. I can't imagine charging at the max of 240 AMP.... The bus bar is also really hot at 100 degrees F (38 degrees C). I have 4/0 AWG cables between the bus and the inverter / chargers. Ambient temp ~ 82 degrees F (28 degrees C).

Thanks in advance.

jefffay asked
jefffay commented ·

1 Answer

Possible to have LYNX SHUNT VE AND SMART SHUNT 500A on the same CERBO GX?

Possible to have LYNX SHUNT VE AND SMART SHUNT 500A on the same CERBO GX?

I have read somewhere that these two don't like sharing the same CERBO GX? or is this fiction?

Regards

johnsmith asked
johnsmith commented ·

1 Answer

103 Posts
85 Users
6 Followers

Topic Experts

There are currently no experts identified for this topic. Can you answer questions in this topic area? Community members who provide answers that are marked as correct earn reputation and may become recognized as topic experts.