VE.Bus Image

VE.Bus

With the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A, is a VE.Bus BMS still needed?

Hello everyone.

For the lithium battery system on my yacht I've been planning to use a VE.Bus BMS to manage and protect the batteries. Now that I've been made aware of the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A, which I will use to protect the diesel engine's alternator from having the life sucked out of it by four big lithium batteries, I'm wondering if the VE.Bus BMS is still needed?

The Smart BMS CL 12V 100A has the same three control outputs as the VE.Bus BMS; load-disconnect, charge-disconnect and pre-alarm. So it can handle those jobs. But it doesn't have the VE.Bus BMS' mains detect cable connector. Perhaps this function isn't needed?

Does the MultiPlus inverter/charger need the mains detection connection?

Does the Cerbo GX need the mains detection connection, via the MultiPlus?

It's looking like I can adopt the new Smart BMS CL 12V 100A, drop the VE.Bus BMS and also drop the mains detector.

Thoughts?

This Smart BMS CL 12V 100A could well be the best thing since sliced bread. :-)

valden asked
frankcilo commented ·

1 Answer

Cerdo Gx issues on a Marine installation

Hello,

I need some assistance.

On a marine installation with:

• Cerbo gx v.2.73
  • Phoenix inverter 24/3000 two units configured in parallel connected via Ve.Bus update on latest firmware on September
  • BMV 712 with Shunt 1000A connected via VE.Direct
  • 2 Skylla-i 24/100A 1+1 output in parallel connected via Ve.Can
  • 24V1800Ah battery bank from OPzS 2v 800Ah cells
  • GX LTE 4G
  • ET 112 connected via RS485 to USB interface

1. When ever we close the inverter to Off manually from the setting in Cerbo gx an "VE.Bus Error 3: Not all, or more than, the expected devices were found in the system" occur. Even when it is disabled the error from the Ve.Bus error settings in Cerbo. When we tern off the chargers we do not have any issues or when the inverters are on.
    How can tern them off thru Cerbo with out the error?
  2. Is in need any additional setting to the Skylla-i in order to charge the battery together? Except from the battery chemistry.

martinis-thanasis asked
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

1 Answer

Power off MultiPlus

Hi! Can I change delay time (255 sec) for power off inverter MultiPlus II when bus is loss?

When bus between color control and multiplus II is loss - inverter wait 255 second and then switch off, can I change delay time to lower (15 second)?

sunc asked
sunc edited ·

0 Answers

Maximum length for VE. Can

I don't know if any of the engineers actually read this forum, but I'm hoping to find out the maximum allowable cable length for the VE. Can interface cables. I intend to build my own cables using high-quality shielded cable (probably Cat7) so the attenuation and interference should not be a problem. I only wonder what the maximum latency is...

I can find information on the maximum cable length on the VE. Bus. People on the forums are saying that they're having trouble with longer cables, but the literature seems to indicate that you should be fine as long as the total cable length doesn't exceed 100 meters. Therefore, I believe that these people would do better with larger shielded cables since the literature seems to indicate that they shouldn't have latency problems, but I have found no such literature for the VE. Can.

I'm trying to mount the GX 70 upstairs quite a ways from the battery room. I figured I'd just locate the Cerbo GX up next to the GX 70 location.

If anyone can help, or if anyone can tell me who to contact, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

kienan-maxfield asked
shaneyake commented ·

2 Answers

Getting error: "You can upload only a single .rvsc or .rvms file"

Dear Victron community,

Since this week I get an error when trying to upload a file via the VRM environment. I have done this many times before and did not get this error.

I have read this posting with the same error, but I always already downloaded the files from the VRM to my computer first. (and yes, watched the video) Then I adjust the rvms file via the VE Bus configurator in the VE Configure 3 for each of the 3 phases. Close the program/save the changes. And then use that RVMS file for upload again. However I now get this error a couple of times:

[image]

What can I do to solve this as it worked before?

Side notes: both the VE bus config and config 3 are up to date.

In VE config 3 there were updates for the ESS assistant. I have tried to upload the file with and without that ESS updates. (for all three phases)

Thank you for your help.

jorisvn asked

0 Answers

VE.Bus Error 5 Overvoltage on AC-Out

Setup (in an RV):

* 2x MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50 120V set up in master-slave configuration
** One each connected to a circuit breaker panel
* SmartSolar MPPT 150/70
* Color Control GX
* BMV-712

AC panels have loads distributed across them. Included among these are two RV aircon units, with soft-start capacitors added. When I run a specific RV aircon unit, which is on one panel, and another high-wattage device on the other panel, I get VE.Bus Error 5 and the accompanying 30-second shutdown of all AC loads.

Testing so far:

* Seems to be centered around the interaction between the inverters, one of the aircon units, and the solar system.
* Only happens when inverting. When on shore power, no issues.
* Seems to only happen when the compressor on the AC comes on.
* Second AC unit does not appear to generate the problem.
* Load at the time is anywhere from 1600 - 3000 W, depending on what I have running. Seems to initially require me to put a heavy load on the system, then I can get it to happen with solely the AC unit in operation.
* Slave unit always displays the fault. This inverter drives the aircon unit that I can generate the fault with.
* Have not tried cutting out the PV controller completely...so far have only cut the panels out (400A panel cutout switch, 80A controller cutout switch)

Any ideas appreciated.

malcolmdmoore asked
neoneddy answered ·

2 Answers

VE Bus State for Multiplus not showing correct Information in VRM

Hello all

VE Bus State for Multiplus ok on VRM dasboard but not in VRM advanced

The correct state is Absortion as showing in dashboard but the state is OFF in the advanced view

[image]

[image]

steve777 asked
Alex Imbrea (Victron Energy Staff) edited ·

1 Answer

Why is VE.BUS voltage used instead of Battery Voltage for change of Bulk to Absorption ?

Hello,

I could not understand why my system was switching to absorption before reaching the indicated value (55,2v) and then I stumbled upon the VE.BUS DC Voltage difference with Battery Voltage ...

There is a difference and there might be reasons for it ... but shouldn't the charging state be triggered by the battery voltage of the system instead of VE.BUS DC voltage ?

Does anyone know if there is a way to configure this and/or make sure VE.BUS Voltage is the same as the Battery Voltage ?

[image]

gregoryfierens asked
JohnC answered ·

1 Answer

Inverter Serial nr from a Remote VE.Bus system

Hi

I have recently installed a VE.Bus system in a remote location. (Color Control, 2 x MultiPlus1 inverters, Smart Solar etc.)

I would just like to know if it is possible to obtain the serial numbers of both inverters. Normally I would just get the device serial numbers from the VRM portal but since it is a VE.Bus system it does not show the serial numbers of both inverters.

Thanks in advance!

hanno-bisschoff asked
hanno-bisschoff commented ·

1 Answer

VE.Bus Error: VE.Bus Error 18: AC Overvoltage on the output of a slave has occurred while already switched off

We have set up two Multis 48/3000/16/35 in paralel w BYD premium battery W BYD BMS 15,4kWh/48V AC coupled w Fronius Primo 8,2, w limited AC power output to 4800W PV field is 9000W but w limited AC output on Fronius Primo.. All firmware is up to date, cabels same lenght, Fronius is set as MG50, and we have Maste and slave unit. Also we have 3 pv panels 300W as back up on Smart MPPT charger connected to Cerbo.

It is off grid system set up at island in Adriatic, we have system up and running but we have every day alarms from 1 to 10 ( VE.Bus Error: VE.Bus Error 18: AC Overvoltage on the output of a slave has occurred while already switched off) . The system is up on VRM, but we cannot find the answer what to do.

Load is at the moment up to a 100W. We have Cerbo GX w touch screen and it is operational at VRM.

Zdravko Vugrinec asked
Des Tan commented ·

1 Answer

Functional purpose of voltage sense wires?

Can someone shed some light on the intended functional purpose of the Voltage Sense wires on a Multi/Quattro?

Are you using it? If so, how/why?

The manual says loosely that it's "to make up for voltage losses across the wires".

With the volt sense wires connected or not connected, under minimal load or loads in excess of 100A, I've never seen any change in the reported voltage by the system.

This was true even before my installation of a BMV (with the lithium batts) and still so now, since SOC and voltage readings (I assume) are now coming exclusively from the BMV.

The voltage reported (by the BMV) is within .01 V of the voltage reported by the BMS on the batteries with minimal load, and within the expected 2-3% difference under heavy loads.

I'm using 2/0 (70ish mm cross section) wires and runs are around 10-13 ft to the batteries. The BMV is 5-7 ft to the shunt. 24V lithium system.

The lead-acid system prior was considerably sloppier, although still using 2/0 cable, and I still recall no differences.

geomz asked
ludo answered ·

6 Answers

EasyPlus, VE.Bus Smart Dongle, SmartShunt 500 Temperature Sensing confusion

Hello,

I am playing in my lab with my new setup to be installed in a campervan. The setup is as follow (questions listed later):

200Ah LiFeP04 battery:

EasyPlus Compact 12/1600/70:

- Temperature sensing cable connected to battery minus pole

VE.Bus Smart Dongle:

- RJ45 connected to EasyPlus

- B- connected to battery minus pole

- B+ and T- connected to battery plus pole using cable "Temperature Sensor for BVM-702/712

SmartShunt 500A:

- Aux and Vbatt+ connected to battery plus pole using cable "Temperature Sensor for BVM-702/712

Interface MK3-USB:

- RJ45 connected to EasyPlus

Questions:

1) Temperature is being read in three places (EasyPlus,Ve.Bus Smart Dongle, and SmartShunt)

Can I simplify the cabling by removing some of the temperature sensors? I.e. can EasyPlus Compact use the temperature readings from either VE.Bus Smart Dongle or SmartShunt 500A? Please note that I will also add a SmartSolar MPPT75/15 and that one for sure will need either the SmartShunt 500A or the VE.Bus Smart Dongle for temperature sensing (using VE.Smart Network)

2) How come that the temperature cable from the EasyPlus has to be mounted on the negative pole whole the ones from VE.Bus Smart Dongle and SmartShunt 500A goes on the positive pole? Can I attach it to the positive pole as well. Since I am using the shunt, I rather not attach anything between the shunt "To battery minus" and the battery minus pole

3) on VE.Bus Smart Dongle the B- should be connected to battery minus pole (according to documentation)

Could I attach it on the side "To system minus" of the shunt? Again to avoid (as best practices) having anything between the shunt and the battery minus pole.

4) can EasyPlus Compact 12/1600/70 read from the attached VE.Bus Smart Dongle or SmartShunt 500A (using VE.Smart Network) to get temperature information and battery monitor status? I know I can enable "Enable battery monitor" in the EasyPlus, but how does it play with the other components? In general, can EasyPlus pull information from other components?

Thanks!

amidships asked
amidships commented ·

1 Answer

Mutiplus VE.Bus FW 4.86

Dear community, good afternoon

Just did FW update for my Multi from 4.56 to 4.86 (latest).

Now my Multi is rejecting AC input 1. It sees the voltage but won´t do anything.

Looking into the changelog for V4.56 says:

"Bug fix. Some models exhibit occasionally rejection of the grid"

I would like to make a roll back. but can´t find older FW in the proffesional site.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Javier Moran asked
Javier Moran commented ·

1 Answer

Soc y temperatura

Hola estoy usando ve bus smart dongle en un multiplus 24/3000 /70 para sensor de voltaje y compensación de temperatura. El problema es que acabada la etapa de absorcion,no se actualiza el soc al 100%, por lo que el soc sigue bajando

Alguien me puede decir que esta pasando o si debo configurar el multi de alguna manera para solucionarlo?

lejimar asked

0 Answers

VE.Bus BMS Alternative?

So I built a system with all Victron components - LFP Smart Batteries, Multiplus, Cerbo, BMV-712. It's working great, but... Only now am I finding out that the VE.Bus BMS doesn't allow me to control the inverter on/off state through anything but the Digital Control Panel which is really annoying.

Is there any alternative BMS out there I could use that would be similar to the VE.Bus BMS? I don't have room or the option to use the new Lynx Smart BMS, so that is off the table.

hoeken asked
hoeken commented ·

4 Answers

VE Lithium Battery Bank, Which BMS to Use?

Hi All,

I appreciate that this question may come down to preference, but I would greatly appreciate anyone's input on this if possible. My dad and I are currently installing the VE setup I've purchased for my liveaboard, which includes:

3 x 100ah Lifepo4 batteries

1 x Multiplus 12/3000/120

1 x BMS 12/200

1 x BMV 712 shunt

2 x Power In Bus bars

1 x Cerbo GX & Monitor

1 x Standard 105ah lead acid starter battery

70amp alternator

The Victron setup above was recommended to us by the agent who I purchased it from. Since then we have done a good bit of research on the Victron setup, and we are now questioning whether the BMS 12/200 is the best option for our setup... Would anyone recommend the Smart BMS CL 12/100 and or the VE.Bus BMS along with the Cyrix Li Ct?

The Smart BMS does not appear to limit the current draw of the house batteries which the BMS 12/200 does appear to do. The Smart BMS also appears to offer better protection to the starter battery..

Can anyone weigh in on their experience or opinion of these BMS options?

Cheers, David

daveybdublin asked
hoeken answered ·

5 Answers

VE.Bus System [276] - Low battery: Alarm

Hi im getting a VE.Bus System [276] - Low battery: Alarm and i down't know why its comming up every time. It starts beeping and sends e-mails.

[image]

The min discarge is 75%

[image]

Thanks for any help.

mryoshii asked
mryoshii commented ·

6 Answers

Intermittent VE Bus state OFF, no warnings. Lost power 30seconds

Any gurus out there have any ideas on this problem?

8kW Quattro, 7 x Pylontech Force 1, 2 x Blue Solar chargers commissioned this week. System ticks away quite nicely then randomly the inverter appears to switch off very briefly. Owner complains of losing power for around 30 seconds. Happened twice yesterday and twice the day before. Can see the event in advanced logging (VE Bus state briefly off) but no warnings generated. Rest of system unaffected. Doesn’t seem to correspond to anything unusual… no large loads at the time, etc. We’ve had storms the last day or two, not sure if this would be a factor. Anyone have any ideas??

timapex asked
dafyddhirst edited ·

1 Answer

Cerbo + VE.BMS control of Multiplus?

Smalle Boat Electronics-12V DC System.pdf

I have installed a system on my boat with Victron Smart LFP batteries, a 120v / 3000w Multiplus, a Cerbo GX, and VE.Bus BMS. I pretty much just followed the schematics on the Victron site, and it is working great. I uploaded my schematic as reference.

Overall, I'm very happy with the system, but I would really like to be able to use my phone to change the Multiplus between Charge/Invert. I can set the current limit, but it won't let me set the mode. That is really annoying and I don't want to have to install the little control panel just to use the switch.

Another thing that seems to be missing is a way to disable the inverter at a certain SOC. I have just enough batteries to run my aircon for a few hours in the evening which is all I need to cool the boat down for a nice sleep. I know I can do that with the MK3 USB interface cable, but its so clunky. Sometimes I would like to be able to turn the inverter off at a different SOC and it would be really nice to not have to use the computer and cable for that.

So, anyone have any ideas on how I could achieve either of these two things?

hoeken asked
hoeken commented ·

1 Answer

how to split Multiplus 12 800 35 VE.bus port to use VE.Bus Smart dongle

Question : how to split Multiplus 12 800 35 VE.bus port to use VE.Bus Smart dongle

Product : Multiplus 12 800 35 connected to an External VE.Bus BMS through VE.Bus BMS Main Detector

Hello everybody.

Guys I have a Multiplus 12 800 35 Inverter/charger and I would like to connect a VE.Bus Smart dongle in order to have the possibility to use the App " Victron connect " to monitor most of the Inverter /charger parameters via Bluetooth

The problem is that - at present - the only VE.Bus port of the Multiplus is used by the VE.Bus MBS Mains detector , connected to the AC-IN port and to an External VE.Bus BMS that controls a 100 A Lithium battery .

How can we split the unique VE.Bus port of the Multiplus to have the possibility to connect also the VE.Bus Smart dongle ? I did not find this possibility on Victron’s schematics. Do you have it ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Oscar

Oscar asked
Oscar commented ·

2 Answers

Multiplus Compact configurable in Victron Connect App?

Considering to buy either a VE.Bus Smart Dongle, or the MK3/USB Adapter, to configure a Multiplus Compact 24/1600

As I don't have permanent access to a windows machine, I'd rather use the Victron Connect App.

Someone told me there might be a special login or password to access many features similar to the Victron Configure Software.

If I can adjust settings with Victron Connect, please help me out step by step what I need.

If not, what could be done with the App regarding settings of Multiplus Compact at all?

Some distributors and Victron staff tell it's possible others say nope.

Alexander Ravencraft asked
Alexander Ravencraft commented ·

1 Answer

Multi remote control disabled when VE.Bus BMS configured

Hi,

When the VE.Bus BMS is configured in my MultiPlus II (48/3000/35), the remote on/off/charger-only options are disabled on the gx devices (Cerbo GX). What is the technical reason for this? Is there any workaround available to put the Multi into charger only mode from the Cerbo?

Máté Őry asked
Máté Őry commented ·

1 Answer

Why would my System go off when plugging in the VE.Can or VE.Bus?

Hello, I am using a Victron set up with BYD batteries. I have a ccgx with Quattro 48V|8000va|110amp. I have 2 BYD Boxes with a total of 20kW. The system had been working great since early 2020 and recently it started shutting off randomly with now errors recorded. So I read on the forums that some had issues when the VE.Bus going to the inverter would shut the system down when plugged in. So, when I could not get the inverter to turn on at all even with a reset I unplugged the VE.Bus network cable and it turned right on. I live in Zambia so I did trouble shooting with my supplier from South Africa over WhatsApp. We went through many different scenarios. We unplugged everything from the back of the ccgx and left the power cable connected and shut off the supply of power from the solar arrays. With the VE.Bus plugged in and connected to the inverter the system now came on. When I plugged in the VE.Can going to the BMS for the BYD the system again shut down. I connected everything back and whenever the VE.Bus and VE.can were both plugged it would go off. But if one or the other were unplugged it would run. I tested the network cable from the VE.Can to the BMS and it seemed to be okay. I swapped BMS's as both BYD boxes come with one and so I had a spare and it did the same, shut off. I tried with just 4 of the eight batteries and set the fuse addresses to the correct setting and it still shut off. I tried with just one battery and it still shut off. At the end of the day before the sun went down I connected everything back together and surprisingly it worked perfectly fine with VE.Can and VE.Bus plugged in to the BMS and Inverter. Now it has been 2 days and it is working fine. I just want to see if anyone may know what was causing my problem in case it starts happening again.

jessekrenz asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) commented ·

1 Answer

Quattro 3Phase Ve.Bus error 1

Hi,

I have a 3 Phase 24/5000 quattro system on a remote site. After starting or stopping the generator 6 out of 10 times the ve.bus error 1 pops up, even if there is no load and the system is in charger only mode. If i look at the ve.bus error page, there shows no error at all 3 phases.
I'm not able to look on site for at least 2 weeks. Anything i can do remotely?

Btw, the system has been running fine in this configuration for 2 years. Only been shut down for a few months, and now this error comes up.

yannick asked
Paul B commented ·

1 Answer

VE Bus cable length extension / max VE devices on CC GX?

Hello,

I'd like to extend the VE bus to some 20m, I am considering to use an USB extender with RJ45 cable. Is this a good solution, any other recommendations?

Also, my final installation will have eight VE bus devices. Will the CC GX be able to monitor eight devices or do I need to upgrade to a Cerbox GX unit?

Thanks ...

tom-g asked

0 Answers

VE.Bus BMS and batteries MG energy MGHE240300

Hello, can you tell me if the manufacturer's battery data MG master will work in tandem with VE.Bus BMS will full battery protection be ensured?

anton859 asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

VE.Bus Error 10: System time synchronisation problem occurred

Using 2 Quattro 120V/48/3000W in Split mode connected to a CCGX. System also includes MG Energy Lynx BMS, 3xMPPT.

Quattro had no Assistant installed.

System was not conneted to any Grid source. used as Off grid mode only. using a generator to recharge batteries only twice in the last 6 months.

Wanted to upgrade system

Now Quattro connected on

- AC1 to Split phase power from Bahamas power.

- AC2 now connected to a generator input.

- Upgraded Quattro from 463 to 482

- Upgraded CCGX from 2.63 to 2.66

- added VS Ignore Ac Input to both units.

As long as i do not connect the quattro to the CCGX, the Quattro operates. Within 30sec of plugging the CCGX, get Error #10 : System time synchronization problem occurred

Error also happens if the Quattro are set to Charge only.

Lights on the master go away, lights on the Slave show loss of syncronization. Seems like the Master quattro is reseting. 30 seconds or so later error goes away only to reoccur 30 second later.

Try 3 different set of cable. They all work if only connecting the 2 Quattro. Error only occur when you plug the CCGX.

Try 2 different CCGX same

Try to move ports around same

Used contact cleaner on VE. Bus ports

Checked Ground voltage from CCGX 0 volt source (BMS voltage regulated output) to Quattro ground. All good.

Checked for Battery fuse: Good

Checked tight Connection: Good.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

jmarc asked

0 Answers

Dual Victron Multiplus, same battery bank, separate AC out.

Hello,

I need some assistance. I´m installing a setup composed of a battery bank (lithium), 2 smartsolar MPPT, 1 Cerbo GX, two Multiplus II - 48/5000. (240VAC)

The system is installed and it is working fine, but I can´t find a way to only have one inverter/charge working. I understant that when configuring the inverters in split/parallel/three phase, if one shuts down, the other one also turns off.

But one this case, I don´t need to combine the power of both inverters. I have the AC-out´s connected to a swich on the AC switchboard in which we use either one inverter, or the other. So we would like to use the inverters as indepent as possible.

Right now, I have them connected to the Cerbo GX, each with their own VE.BUS cable. I´ve tried chain one VE.BUS cable from one inverter to the other and then to the Cerbo GX, but it is the same, I cannot use one inverter without the other.

Is there any workaround to this? We just want to have more redundancy with the setup, we don´t need to have the combined power of the inverters.

nuno-silva asked
nuno-silva commented ·

2 Answers

VE bus low voltage alarm multiplus while voltage seems ok?

Hello

Yesterday i changed my low-voltage settings in VE configure. I set the low voltage pre-alarm and restart at 11.8 volts. I am running 2 x 230 ah agm super cycles.

Today i suddenly got overloaded with, for me, unnecessary VE bus low volotage L1 alarms.

From all the alarms i can only understand one of the last alarms; voltage dropped to 11,87 so that one seams logic for me. The rest of the alarms is when voltage is around 12,37 or higher. Why are these alarms?

Is the setting in VE configure the one that is connected to these alarms, or is the VE bus low voltage alarm connected to another setting? I disabled the alarm rulesin VRM so that is not the issue.

Battery SOC was around 97 percent and i am running within maximum discharge current of 92 amps

See pics below

Thanks!

[image]

[image]

heinzie asked
Alexandra commented ·

2 Answers

Where does the V.E. Bus low voltage alarm originate?

I monitor the voltage at my batteries in addition to the VE Bus voltage. All other voltages are fine but I am occasionally getting the Low Voltage alarm on the VE Bus. I'm trying to understand where this voltage is monitored so that I can isolate the issue.

rreynolds51 asked
rreynolds51 answered ·

2 Answers

Followers

215 Posts
188 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

ascherg
0 Points
scotta
0 Points