VE.Bus Image

VE.Bus

Multiplus-ii ve. bus pinout?

I don't have the mk2/3 here at the moment but I really need to be able to configure/monitor my MP-ii immediately.
I keep seeing references to the bus being rs232 (2400baud), but can't find a proper pinout (nor even confirmation that ve. bus is 232 and not TTL).
Anyone happen to know if it's TTL or RS232, and have a pinout for the rj45 port?

blistovmhz asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

Best 48v BMS

Hi everyone,

I am expecting a shipment of 16x280Ah prismatic LiFePO4 cells. It is my first experience with non-lead acid batteries. I understand that I need a BMS, but there is incredible selection and profound difference in cost between models. I currently have a Cerbo GX which I understand has two data busses, a CAN bus and a proprietary VE.bus. This paragraph is the entire sum of my BMS knowledge, +/-.

I want to find a BMS that integrates maximally with the Cerbo. I'm happy to pay for quality. I don't necessarily need it to be a "supported" solution by Victron, as long as it integrates well. In another group on DIY Powerwalls, Batrium seems to be the most popular name in BMS. Is anyone running a similar system to what I've described, with a Batrium BMS?

What other options do I have? I'm also impressed with REC-BMS, but it's very pricey. A couple other ones I've glanced at are 123Smart BMS, Tiny BMS, Chargery BMS and DIY BMS. Also Daly?

The two most important things to me are 1) safety and 2) integration with my Victron products. This will be a 16s, 48v (although it's not a strict design requirement) LiFePO4 battery with low-moderate current requirements (probably something like a 3000 watt inverter). Thanks for any input!

whafa asked
autox commented ·

7 Answers

Maximum length for VE. Can

I don't know if any of the engineers actually read this forum, but I'm hoping to find out the maximum allowable cable length for the VE. Can interface cables. I intend to build my own cables using high-quality shielded cable (probably Cat7) so the attenuation and interference should not be a problem. I only wonder what the maximum latency is...

I can find information on the maximum cable length on the VE. Bus. People on the forums are saying that they're having trouble with longer cables, but the literature seems to indicate that you should be fine as long as the total cable length doesn't exceed 100 meters. Therefore, I believe that these people would do better with larger shielded cables since the literature seems to indicate that they shouldn't have latency problems, but I have found no such literature for the VE. Can.

I'm trying to mount the GX 70 upstairs quite a ways from the battery room. I figured I'd just locate the Cerbo GX up next to the GX 70 location.

If anyone can help, or if anyone can tell me who to contact, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

kienan-maxfield asked
john-r-1 answered ·

3 Answers

EasySolar 5000/48 with 250/100 MPPT - VE.Bus voltage increases when MPPT start limiting the input power

Installation is an EasySolar 5000/48 with the MPPT upgraded to a SmartSolar 250/100, charging 2 x US3000A Pylontech batteries. Solar panels are 4 strings of 4 panels each (48V, 420Watt) giving Wp of ~6400W.

The Ve.Bus voltage increases when systems starts limiting the Solar input power to ~ 4500-5000W (the limiting level is ambient temperature dependent)

Is this a bug?

If not, what is the reason the bus voltage would go higher only while limiting is active?

[image]

Deon asked
Deon edited ·

0 Answers

Ve-bus BMS charge disconnect - how many VE.Direct devices can be connected?

I have a VE-bus BMS where the charge disconnect output is currently controlling a Skylla-i 24/80 via a Skylla-i remote on-off cable

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/skylla-i-remote-on-off-cable

I intend to add FIVE SmartSolar 100/20 MPPT. My understanding is that each MPPT will need to have a Ve-direct non inverting remote on-off cable connected to the BMS charge disconnect output.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-non-inverting-remote-on-off-cable

Will this work or will it exceed the 10mA max source current limit for the ve-bus BMS charge disconnect output?

leftcoastman35 asked

0 Answers

unknown product A19E

VE.Direct unknown product (A19E)

[image]

[image]

Victron verweist auf "Händler fragen"

Es ist nicht möglich die Daten des Ladereglers mit connect abzuspeichern/exportieren. VictronConnect V5.73 bringt keine Verbesserung

Closed

k-k asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

VictronConnect and VeFlash does not find Multiplus on MK3 usb dongle

Hello Forum !
I do have an issue with updating firmware on Multiplus-2 device using the MK3 USDB-to-VeBus dongle.
Neither VeFlash nor VictronConnect apps 'find' any device connected to the 'other' side of that unshielded-factory made RJ-45 cable 'behind' the USB-to-VeBus adaptor.
The PC is a Win7 machine with SP1, the Multiplus is a 48/3000/35-32 230V, just purchased, SN HQ2207FYF69V.
When using the VeConfigure program on that same PC, same same cable, all works fine
(i.e. i can 'get' and 'send' the config for that multiplus without issues).
all the programs (VeFlash, VeConfigure, VictronConnect) are on the latest downloadable version ...

That exact same thing happens with my 'old' (2017) Multiplus built into the 'EasySolar' box.
VeConfigure is ok, neither VeFalsh nor VictronConnect 'finds' that device.

If there is anyone out there who could point me to some more in-depth troubleshooting steps
(logfiles of VeFlash or VictronConnect ? - those glorious completely useless errormessages starting with 'unable' or 'failed' are not helping at all ...) or has another idea howto upgrade firmware on the Multiplus-es - much appreciated !

thanks a lot ,
Martin

martin-liska asked
martin-liska commented ·

1 Answer

EasyPlus/Multiplus does not exchange data with Cerbo

I have an issue with an EasyPlus connected to the Cerbo.

- The Cerbo „sees“ the EasyPlus, but claims it‘s not connected. Still, the Cerbo can read the type of device (Multiplus Compact, the product number and firmware version (481), but not the device state or any parameters. See attached screenshots.

- I have checked:

• EasyPlus DIP settings (1: off, 2: on, remaining switches off, as per the manual)
  • VE.Bus cable is plugged into the appropriate socket of the Cerbo (i.e. not the Ethernet socket)
  • All devices have been restarted using different sequences several times
  • EasyPlus is operating nicely along the setting of the physical switch
  • Firmware versions: EasyPlus: 481; Cerbo: 2.75

At the time I took attached screenshots the EasyPlus was inverting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

[image]

[image]

[image]

wengelhart asked
acuario answered ·

1 Answer

VE.Bus Smart Dongle connected to Parallel configuration

When the VE.Bus Smart Dongle is connected to a parallel configuration of 2x MultiPlus Compact 24|2000|50 Victron Connect shows the whole parallel configuration as one big inverter/charger.

Even in the detailed view it is just one inverter/charger. Is there a way to see the details of each MultiPlus seperate?

Peter Buijs - NL asked

0 Answers

Ve.Bus Fehler 8, Erdungsralay beim Multiplus 2 5000

Hallo,

Wir haben hier 2 Multis. Eine lies sich damals nicht einzeln ans laufen bringen. Immer Ground Relay Fehler. Eingeschickt und neuen bekommen...

Fehler bestand dann immer noch. Ich denke beim flashen ist da was schiefgelaufen weil ich die Firmware 497 dann manuell raufgespielt habe, da lief der multi.

Haben Sie dann als Split 2 phasen System konfiguriert. Die Anlage lief knapp w Wochen Problemlos und nun meldet der neue ausgetauscht multi wieder einen ground relay Fehler. Die Anlage läuft aktuell nicht mehr und ich komme nicht weiter.

An einen Defekt kann ich nicht glauben weil die Anlage fast 2 Wochen ohne Probleme lief...

Angeschlossen sind an beiden Multis der ac in 1 und der ac out 2 der zur notstromverteilung geht.

Hier mal screens aus der console
Kann damit jemand etwas anfangen oder hat Ideen?

[image]

micha854 asked
juergenal answered ·

1 Answer

VE.Bus BMS red led on

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my Li batteries with 2 x Smart Lithium Batteries 24V x 200Ah..

The 3 phase system equiped with Quattro multiplus works well but, since a few days, the red led on the VE;Bus BMS black box connected to the batteries remains permanently on.

This indicator indicates normally a température problem or cell excess voltage.

I have checked battery parameters with the blue tooth connection. Cells are balanced at 3.32 /3.33 volts and the température read is 25°C / 26°C.

This led indication seems erroneous.

Is there a way to reset this Led parameter ?

Thanks for your help.

JMV

jmv asked
jmv answered ·

2 Answers

How to confirm if CCGX can update VE.Bus firmware via VRM?

Instructions for remote verification of CCGX ability to update VE.Bus firmware via VRM are ambiguous.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:remote_ve.bus_firmware_updates#q2how_to_see_if_a_ccgx_hardware_version_matches_the_required_minimal_version

[image]

3 options listed:

I am offsite and unable to verify my serial number.

The serial number is not listed in the VRM device list.

I find the last option ambiguous. What needs to say MK3? Does it need to be the items on the left or the right?

Maybe a better example would be to show a CCGX that DOES meet the requirements and identify the specific criteria?

Here's what mine shows:

[image]

This was purchased in 2019, so I would hope it's newer than 2017, but given the instructions, I can't confirm if it meets the serial number requirements per the example.

snoobler asked
snoobler answered ·

2 Answers

VE.Bus System Charge state showing Bulk or Absorption in the middle of the night where no charging taking place , this causes SOC jump to 100% mysteriously , please see screens of VRM log download

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

VE.Bus System Charge state showing Bulk or Absorption in the middle of the night where no charging is taking place , this causes SOC jump to 100% mysteriously , please see screens of VRM log download.

When it decides to get stuck in Absorption mode from day before and througout the night , it makes my SOC jump to 100% prematurely and when battery is nowhere near full.

This appears to happen every few days , sometimes once a week , sometimes twice a week , no exact or particular pattern.

Also , every single night charge state shows BULK , I can live this , even though it is obviously incorrect , but at least this does not make my SOC jump.

Jump only happens when it is stuck in Absorbtion mode.

Multiplus II GX 48 5000 , 3 x SmartSolar MPPTs , multiplus is running in inverter mode , no assistants.

Absorption voltage is specified as 55.65V and state of charge when bulk finished is definded as 95% in VE configure.

teloth asked
marekp commented ·

3 Answers

Is a CAN USB the only way to offline update MultiPlus II firmware?

I am wondering if using the (very expensive: ~€ 500) CANUSB adapter together with VEPower is really the only way possibility to update the firmware of a MultiPlus II, or other VE.Bus devices? No chance to use VE.Configure or the Cerbo GX for uploading a firmware image?

tom4x asked
tom4x commented ·

1 Answer

Is the VE.Bus connection isolated on the Quattro?

Hi,

I just read Wiring Unlimited (what a good read it is) and while reading 4.5 "Switching the negative in multiple unit systems" i remembered a blog post from late 2016 (https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2016/12/29/erm-energies-solar-powered-containerised-system/) where it seems like they have MCBs on both + and - just before the Quattros.

Is the VE.Bus isolated on the Quattros, or is the system in the blogpost just not installed correctly?

I believe this information should be added to the ESS Manual, i couldn't find anything about isolation in there.

Also, i have a vague memory that i have seen a document that describes what parts/connectors on a unit that is isolated and what is not. But i can't seem to find it, any one know what document i mean?

Kind Regards

ehsab asked
samuel-brucksch edited ·

2 Answers

Followers

277 Posts
248 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Stefanie
244 Points
Alexandra