installation Image

installation

Multiplus 2 as second storage system with zero control possible?

Hello all,

I have a technical question for you.

I already have a PV system with SolarEdge SE8K (the new one without display) inverter and a Senec V2.1 storage with 7.5kw battery.

Please do not tell me if this makes financial sense or not, I know it does not make sense :-)

But you can suggest me a cheaper / better solution.

Current state

The Senec storage has already a zero control at my house power connection (ergo I have a consumption and too little PV pushes the Senec battery power after / If I have PV surplus and the battery is not yet full the Senec is charged / etc.)

- I would like to install an additional independent second battery in my house.

- Planned here would be a Victron Multiplus II 48V 3000 watts

- The Multiplus together with a new to be purchased EM24 should also create a zero power regulation

- If that runs cleanly, cancel the parallel operation in 6-12 month and sell the Senec storage

The goal is

- when my Senec battery is full and the zero regulation from the Multiplus / EM24 detects a feed that my MultiPlus charges the battery pack on the Multiplus

- if my Senec delivers power to the house grid (e.g. at night or at noon while cooking) and it does not manage to cover the power demand or is empty, that my MultiPlus II / EM24 detects a grid draw, the Multiplus also delivers power to the house.

Question

- Would this be possible with a MultiPlus 2 and EM24?

- Can I set the MultiPlus 2 so that it does not start at 20 watts at the house connection and regulates to zero but at a higher threshold value, say only from 100 watts reference / feed? The background is that the two zero controls of the Senec and MultiPlus should not work against each other.

Why the whole thing?

I am extremely dissatisfied with my Senec and want to build a parallel battery, observe this over max. 1 year and then throw out the Senec. And because I have maximum flexibility with a MultiPlus (expand battery / etc.).

Many greetings,

Willi

PS: hope you understand my terrible englisch, normaly i speak germany

willi9974 asked
oxident answered ·

4 Answers

Laderegler mit 230V?

Was brauch ich damit ich den Laderegler mit 230V Ausgang für Netzkopplung betreiben kann? Ist das möglich? Oder kann der lediglich mit einer Batterie versorgt werden?

oliveregle90 asked
oliveregle90 commented ·

1 Answer

Installation guidance cerbo gx - pylontech lv-hub - 3 groups of us3000c via CAN Bus

Hello,

Is there anyone who out can guide me through the Installation cerbo gx - pylontech lv-hub - 3 groups of us3000c via CAN Bus?

At present, I have one of the three battery groups communicating to Cerbo via VE.Can to CAN-bus BMS type A Cable, works fine.

Which are the right cables to link the battery groups with the LV-HUB, and where can I buy the right cables? Really from Pylontech? I found a Video that Shows that pin 1...3 are required and their trouble came from the cables...Pylontech didn't answer. The manuals of lv-hub and battery are contradicting...
Can I take the type A cable to link LV-HUB to Cerbo?

How about the DIP settings of Batteries and LV-HUB?

ekramer asked
ekramer answered ·

3 Answers

UK Bristol Victron ESS MCS installers

Hi,

Is there anyone on here that knows (or is) able to do residential UK Bristol Victron ESS (PV+batt) MCS-certified installations?

From the map search it seems most are off-grid or not MCS- certified.

Thanks

markess asked
jc2010 answered ·

1 Answer

Can't install my VRM on boat I purchased

I purchased a boat with Victron components and can't add an installation as ot says all admins have been notified.

I've contacted the previous owner (who is now halfway around the world) but he wasn't the one who set it up, he had someone else set it up for him several years back. He reached out to that person, but they apparently are cruising somewhere in South America and never got back to him or me.

I tried going through Victron support but it just points me to the manuals which is not helpful in this case.

Could Victron Support please contact me and help me add the installation?

Thank you in advance,

-nick

ubuntu asked
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

2 Answers

Multiplus-II Regelkonformer Anschluss an TN-C-S (PEN) mit Einzeladern?

Hallo,
Ich plane, einen Multiplus-II 5000 an meinen Hauptverteiler für ESS anzuschließen und eine Phase des Hausnetzes an den AC-Out 1 zu koppeln. Dazu ein paar Detailfragen:

Ich habe eine TN-C-S Verkabelung im Haus, d.h. im Hauptverteiler habe ich keinen einzelnen PE und N Leiter sondern einen PEN Leiter, der in den Unterverteilern jeweils auf eine P-EN Schiene aufgeteilt wird. Da 80er Jahre Bausubstanz, habe ich nur bei den Bädern FI vorgeschaltet.

Frage 1: AC In und AC Out schließe ich beim 5000er über jeweils einen 50A Leistungsschutzschalter an. Oder sind hier Neozed-Schmelzsicherungen besser geeignet?

Frage 2: Die Nullung, also Kombination von N und PE des Gerätes wird an der PEN-Anschlussklemme des Hauptverteilers gemacht oder muss hier extra eine P-EN Schiene installiert werden? Alternativ würde ich nur den PEN-Leiter jeweils zum Gerät führen und dort dann in N und PE koppeln. Dann hätte ich nur 4 anstatt 6 Adern. Ich nehme an, da 2 Phasen zum Gerät führen, muss ich auch 2x PEN ans Gerät führen. Jede Phase muss ja über einen Leiter abgesichert sein mit dem selben Querschnitt.

Frage 3: Da es in meinem Hauptverteiler recht eng zu geht, würde ich anstatt einem 10mm² NYM-J Kabel gerne geschmeidige H07V-K Einzeladern mit Quetsch-Adernendhülsen verwenden. Der Victron käme gleich neben den Hauptverteiler an die Wand. Ist es erlaubt, hier Einzeladern bzw Litzen zu verwenden und diese in einen Kabelkanal legen (und mit Kabelbindern jeweils sichern) oder muss quasi um jedes Kabel noch ein einzelner Schutz-Schlauch drum herum ?

Vielen Dank schon mal für die Antworten!

chrisu asked
lifeingalicia commented ·

0 Answers

Victron MP2 Tripping earth leakage on Mains fail & recovery

Good day,

I have recently installed an MP2 5000 into a home that had a 3 phase db board.

Have essentially just taken L1 and run it through the inverter and then back to the original DB Board. So everything on L1 is backed up and L2,L3 is not.

Please note that this db board has an RCD per phase. ( we have kept the original one in place, we just went to the inverter along the way.

SO just to clarify the setup:

{Mains 3 phase 63A Breaker} => 40A Input Breaker => Victron MP2 => 40A output Breaker => Back to original RCD => (Plugs and lights on L1)

(There is no Upstream RCD)

Now I have an issue that when I trip the mains breaker, L1 RCD trips immediatly.

But strangely If I then go and put it back up, it will continue to work fine. (so this is a major issue as it basically removes the point of having a UPS backup).

Then secondly, after I have put the RCD back up, and I turn the mains breaker back on. After a few seconds (when the MP2 enables ACIN) the RCD trips again?

What I don't get is why would it trip only when it switches? after it has switched it seems fine?

This does not quite make sense to me.

<Further Playing AROUND>

• I have noticed that if I turn all the breakers OFF, on L1 and do the same test the RCD does not trip.
  • I have noticed that if I leave just 3 of the light breakers up, it does not trip.

dylan-hyslop asked
dylan-hyslop commented ·

2 Answers

UK ESS Self-install MCS certification

Hi

I am looking to install my own ESS - Multiplus II with Pylontech US3000C batteries, solar on MPPTs on the DC side. I am happy to do all the design and install work myself, however I would ideally like to find someone who is MCS certified to sign it all off afterwards and give me a shiny certificate.

Does anyone know of anyone that would be willing to do this kind of thing in the South East of the UK?

dangos asked
thomasquinn93 edited ·

8 Answers

MultiPlus in AC passthrough only during staged RV install?

Will be upgrading a 5th wheel from FLA to LFP batteries, along with a MultiPlus 3000VA 12v 120a replacing the current AC/DC converter and 1200w inverter.
Completing the install in stages would make things easier and maintain RV use during nice weather.

Any issues with connecting AC In/Out to the Multiplus without being connected to batteries, and will the transfer switch pass-through AC power?
I'll do the same thing during short storage intervals with a disconnect switch to maintain batteries below 100% SOC, while allowing AC to a residential fridge.
If this works fine, what position should the panel switch on the Multiplus be in when disconnected from batteries?

offroad asked
downgrader commented ·

1 Answer

Victron Solarteure finden

Keine Fachfrage, aber ich bin echt am Verzweifeln ...

Ich versuche seit Wochen eine Firma zu finden (Solarteur, Elektrofachfirma, ...), die Victron Systeme für Einfamilienhäuser in Deutschland (gemauer Brandenburg) installiert. Bisher habe ich eine einzige Firma gefunden (Service Team Döbeln), aber diese nimmt zurzeit keine Aufträge an. Es muss doch aber noch andere geben ... hat jemand eine Tipp für mich?

Viele Grüße
Thomas

integer63 asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

2 Answers

Setting up Phoenix 12/30 charger

I hope you can help me out!

When programming the Phoenix 12/30 charger I got stuck. I’m trying to program the charger without the remote (with the buttons on the circuit board).

I followed the manual and disconnected al the cables and sensor from the charger, so only the 230V supply is connected. After that I connected the voltmeter to the – and +1.

When the charger is in ‘’Standby’’ I read a voltage of 16.07V.

After that I used the up and down buttons and the on/standby switch to put it in the mode where you can program the bulk-current / absorption voltage / float voltage. The flashing pattern of the LEDs is correct. When I try to change the current or voltage with the up and down buttons nothing changes. The value stays 16.07V

Can somebody tell me what I’m doing wrong or help me to search in the right direction?

Thanking you in advance for all your help!

With kind regards, Mark

markio asked
markio edited ·

0 Answers

Multiplus 3K Chassis Ground

Installing MP 3000 in a 5th wheel. Confused over gauge of wire to use on chassis ground lug to RV frame? Have read where it should be same awg of "conductor" wires? Think abyc standard specifies so.

I'm using 4/0 battery/inverter DC cables and have 400ah battery bank (lithium).

What chassis ground wire size is correct?

wingingitfulltime asked
007systems answered ·

6 Answers

Does Anyone know how to obtain replacement for the mounting plate for the MultiPlus 3000W Inverter 12V DC?

Hello, I ordered my Victron MultiPlus 120Amp Charger and 3000W Inverter 12V DC several months ago and am now finally installing it. However, I have misplaced the blue mounting plate that comes with the unit, does anyone know how to obtain a replacement? ebay, google, this forum, etc have thus far returned no answers and am hoping there is a way to get one.

daveykavey asked
Jason - UK answered ·

4 Answers

At what altitude m.a.s.l. may an Orion TR 48V-24V be installed

At what altitude m.a.s.l. may an Orion TR 48V-24V be installed. Our customer wants to install it at 4000m altitude. Is this possible?

Roland Reutimann asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Marine Electronics System Design & Installation Help / Periodic Resource

Hi Folks,

Long time listener first time caller... : ) Have been lurking here for the last year plus and thanks for the support and community here.

I bought and live aboard a 37ft sailboat as of a year and a half ago. Have been doing projects and making upgrades in anticipation of cruising the boat long term / off grid. I've grown increasingly interested in electrical systems, have already made some upgrades to the boat here including a Multiplus II and some other upgrades and reconfigurations, and really I'm really eager to continue to gain more competency here.

I've learned a lot so far, but I consistently find myself up against knowledge gaps - especially with electrical - that end up burning way too much time and way too much energy spinning my wheels reading manuals and haphazardly trudging through misc online resources to try and answer questions and decision make toward a clear path forward... often ending up without clear answers or a path forward.

As of this winter my existing AGM batteries are toast. I need to make some moves here in the near term as I'm moving back aboard ASAP and getting the boat back in the water. I'm leaning toward a move to LifePo4 house bank and the requisite system upgrades to build, charge, operate, and maintain the system safely and efficiently. I'm making progress on my own - I think - putting info for system design together but have again found myself wasting too way too much time on questions that I'm sure are quite simple for the right person.

Is there a qualified marine electrician or marine electrical company out there familiar with Victron products than can provide periodic consultation services while I design and build my system?

I'm more than happy to pay for this, it would save me so much time and give me so much more confidence. I'm enjoying the research, diagramming, and learning thats coming with this and am trying to be as thorough and organized as possible - but I'm painfully aware that I need some expert advice to move this forward safely and confidently.

System currently includes: 30A shore power, 3.5kw Generator, Multiplus II 12/3000/120, Victron BMV, 2 - 30A Blue Sea Distribution Panels, Blue Sea DC Distribution Panel, 420 Ah of (toasted) AGM batteries split between house / start, 1500W Lofrans Windlass, Raymarine Instruments, Refrigeration / Compressor, Misc other DC consumers.

Upgrades I have and are not installed, or plan to buy install: LifePO4 Cells, REC or Orion Jr BMS, Tyco Contactors / Disconnectors, Victron Orion DC >> DC Charger, 400W - 600W of PV Array, Victron MPPT Controllers, Balmar Alternator, Balmar or Wakespeed Alternator Regulator, Galvanic Isolator, 30A Blue Sea ELCI.

If there are existing resources out there you can recommend, please do. If you're an individual out there that might be the right fit to help guide me through this I'd love to connect and try to figure out a way to work together toward designing and me executing on this.

Cheers,

// Phil

panema asked

0 Answers

Followers

263 Posts
248 Users
2 Followers

Topic Experts

hugodevries
10 Points
Eduard