battery charging Image

battery charging

Battery Bank

BPC123047102 Blue Smart IP22 Charger

Can a "bank" consist of more than one battery? My house bank is two 200Ah LFP batteries.

Thanks,

Bruce

pennbruce asked
klim8skeptic answered ·

1 Answer

Chargings AMPS to battery and to my loads

I have an Offgrid system with a Victron Multiplus II 5kva and with a 250/100 Mppt charge controller and a 150/70 charge controller conected with plumb - Acid batteries which have a charge limit of 50 amps. The solar panels have more power so we thougt to charge either the batteries with 50 amps and cover the loads with the rest.

Also if how i can avoid that the generador charges the batteries with the max allowed of the 50 amps and also the mppt charge controllers with another 50 amps?

Which settings should i use either for the Multiplus and the Mppt´s to get cover this funcionality we need?

Thanks a lot
Bjorn

bjorn-padotzke asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

SmartSolar MPPT 150/85 VE.Can - No current flow in Bulk with PV at VOC

I have a SmartSolar MPPT 150/85 VE.Can connected to 6 320W Renogy solar panels wired in 2 parallel series of 3 panels on an RV. I have 15A fuses on each string and a 25A circuit breaker in between the fuses and the MPPT charger. The new system has worked fine for weeks, until one morning after a day of the charger being in float mode for most of the day, both 15A fuses were blown, but the 25A breaker was not tripped. I also noticed that the charger said that the PV Array voltage was within a volt of the battery bank when the array was actually at 0V and/or completely disconnected.

[image]

After replacing the fuses, the charger seemed to work for the rest of the day. By the next day, one of the 15A fuses was blown. Part way through the following day, the charger stopped charging altogether even though no fuses were blown or circuit breakers tripped.

[image]

Now, when the charger is in bulk mode during the day, it reports the battery voltage and PV array voltage but no (<5W) of actual charging, At night, it still reports a PV array voltage of approximately the battery bank voltage.

[image]

warren-b asked
kaypea answered ·

8 Answers

Setting DVCC volts for LFP 16 cells battery

I have LFP 100Ah 16 cells from "XD battery" and MultiPlus 48/5000. Both connected via Cerbo GX, via VE.Can configured as BMS Can. Related configuration already done in VE Configure.

XD Battery datasheet (got it from the vendor).

I always getting over-voltage error, as on Cerbo GX, as on battery BMS.

I started from 56V and went to 54.9V charging voltage. The last one is not enough to have 100%.

Whole process diagram:

[image]

At the point (1:12) where lowest voltage goes down, the inverter stopped charging.

[image]

[image]

Is there something wrong with BMS or/and VEConfig settings, or anything else?

Why highest voltage raises and lowest goes down after stop charging?

kirby asked
snoobler commented ·

1 Answer

Combine Power Sources

Is it possible to charge my battery bank from one combined source coming from solar panels (via Victron Smart Solar Charge Controller), Victron battery charger (via shore power when connected) and an

alternator (via Victron Orion-TR Smart DC-DC)?

All sources lead to one common busbar which then leads to the battery bank.

Are there any problems with the above scenario?

Is it possible for me to program the devices so that solar takes priority, followed by shore power, followed by the alternator?

Thank you.

uniopp asked

0 Answers

At what voltage is a Victron Lithium battery at 100%?

Hi Everyone,

At what voltage is a Victron Lithium battery at 100%?

I have a 160Ah LifePo4 Victron battery, and I am trying to understand to what % of the battery my voltage corresponds.

I am struggling to get it charged at more than 13.3V - 3.33V/Cell with the Orion 12/24V non-isolated - 30A.

Don't feel like buying and installing a BMV and find it a ridiculous that we don't get this information on the battery information on the app. This seems fairly basic information.

I did not find much informaiton in the manual and my only references are:

• 14.0V = 100% - 3.5V/cell (last time I saw my battery fully charged after I installed it)
  • 11.2V = 3% - 2.8V/cell (information provided on the user manual)

But, I am not an expert and there might be some technical limitations.

Would anyone know or have an idea.

Thanks in advance,

Rémi

remibggx asked
dc4me commented ·

7 Answers

Explain the rule of max 3-4 batteries in parallel

In another thread there was someone who pointed at a statement in the Wiring Unlimited document saying there should be a maximum of 3 or maybe 4 lead acid batteries connected in parallel. Reason, as stated in the document, is that large battery banks become tricky to balance and that imbalance is created because of wiring and due to slight differences in the internal resistance of the batteries.

My experience, but also the result of some tests that I have seen reported, is that imbalance is created in bigger banks but when the batteries are on float charging quite soon these imbalances are reduced into a level which is similar to as if the bank was only fewer (3?) batteries.

So, as you understand I only partly agree with this statement in the WU-document and have seen several installations with many batteries working just fine.

Could someone explain, in other words than the WU-document, how this imbalance would be of such importance that it would make installations with a higher number of batteries bad/useless/non-recommendable?

christern asked
christern commented ·

3 Answers

How to calculate expected tail current when battery internal resistance while fully charged is know?

My lead acid batteries are brand new. The manufacturer supplies a value of 0.33mOhm of internal resistance when a battery is fully charged at 25°C.

We are talking about a 12x2=24v battery bank. So let’s forget about the cables connecting the batteries (2x70mm2 BTW) and assume a total resistance of 12x0.33mOhm = 3,96mOhm

Under an absorption voltage of 28,8v at 25ºC how much tail current should one theoretically expect when SOC=100%?

Does anyone know the proper math?

hvalentim asked
kevgermany answered ·

2 Answers

Orion Tr Smart Non Isolated 12/24 30a Always in Bulk

Hi there,

A quick question regarding the Orion Tr Smart Non Isolated 12/24 30a.

I recently installed it with a Victron Lithium Battery 160ah. The device seems to be working because it is charging the battery. However, it is always in Bulk, even after driving 2 hours while the battery is at about 13.2V (all cells are at about 3.30V).

My installation is:

• Fiat Ducato 2010 2.3 JTD 130ch
  • Orion Tr Smart Non Isolated 12/24 30a plugged to a Cyrix-Li Charge.
  • The Cyrix-Li Charger is plugged to a VE.BUS.BMS and goes to the battery.

I, so far, never lack battery and the battery is rarely below 12.8V, which is what I want in the end.

The entry V is about 13.5 to 14.0V and the output V is in general at about 13.5V to 14.0V.

The settings are in the below screenshots.

[image]

[image]

[image]

However, I seem to not be capable of getting a full charge.

I sometimes got the absorption and floating mode only once in a few weeks of use.

I am wondering if the fact that the charger is always in Bulk mode is normal or if there is something off?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Rémi

remibggx asked
Kevin Windrem answered ·

2 Answers

battery size

I have a MPPT 75/15 charge controller charging a 1 x 150AH gel battery from 2 x 100w 18v 5.5amp panels (in parralel). Connected to the battery is a Victron Blue solar 12/1200 inverter. I was wondering if I could add a second 150Ah gel battery to create a 12v 300Ah battery. I'm new to all this, so was wondering if the charger could handle charging double what it is doing now? Currently the load on the inverter is around 300W, but I want to add my fridge (260w) and need the system to run for around 4 hours during loadshedding.

komsolar asked
christern commented ·

4 Answers

Quattro 10000 only reaching 6600 Watt charge rate under ESS control

Hi

I have a problem with the max charge on my new inverter. It seems to limit to 130 A (6600 watts) in charge mode (ESS) but will happily deliver 9500watts in inverter mode. The webpage Victron & Pylontech UP2500, US2000, US3000, US2000C, ...Victron Energy · https://www.victronenergy.com › live has a table in section 2 that suggests I should be able to achieve the full 8kW charge rate at 25 degree C.

My setup

8 x pylontech US5000 with 800Ah storage. During charge the allowed max charge rate from the BMS was 640Amps. It started reducing after 91% SOC.

1 x Quattro 10000 240V which is connected to a lynx distributor. The 95mm2 cable runs are extremely short 50cm. The batteries have 4 sets of cables connecting them in pairs so 4 cables that are specced for 120 Amps each. I'm looking to put 288 Amps through each and they are cool to the touch.

1 x Cerbo GX running the show.

All devices have the latest firmware as of this post apart from the Quattro which is at v500. The battery & room temperature are at 25 deg C though I started at 14 deg C.

I have been through all the settings and ESS and DCVV have charge limit disabled. The only setting I could find that might have some bearing on everything is if I look at the settings file using VEConfig. In the charger tab I have weak ac unticked. I am using grid on AC 1. The charge current is set to 140A. I am unable to set it any higher despite my battery system being more than capable of taking more. Lithium batteries are ticked. Battery type defaults to 'no corresponding type' after putting in the voltages/absorption time from the document referred to above.

Is there something obvious I have missed? I have been through every single page on the cerbo to make sure there is nothing that could be affecting the charge rate. How can I achieve the 8kW rate with the ESS enabled?

thanks

Andrew Ellis asked
andy156 commented ·

1 Answer

Multiplus-II stops charging when 51V are reached

Hi everybody,

My problematic :

I've got an off grid installation. And, specially at winter, i need to charge my batteries with a generator. But, after all updates of my installation components, the converter switch to inverter only when the SOC (State Of Charge) reached 51V. Does anybody knows why ?

My installation :

Multiplus-II 48V/5000kva firmware 500

CerboGX V2.92

Lynx Busbar

MPPT SmartSolar 150/70 rev2 V3.13

4 Pylontech Batteries US2000C, V2.22 (With batteryView software)

My settings :

I followed pylontech recommendations for MP2 settings from here : https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

[image]

Charger tab

The cerboGX is correctly wired and configured. It have all the informations from the MPPT, the batteries and the multiplus.

Symptoms :

When the SOC is near 20/30% ans no sun to the horizon, i start the generator. MP2 switch to charger mode and the charging starts in bulk mode. Batteries voltage is near 49V at this moment. The charging is effective until the voltage reach 50V and MP2 switch to absorbtion. Charging continues and when the voltage reach near of 51V, MP2 switch to inverter mode and the charging stops. I can replug the generator, MP2 switch to bulk, then absorbtion, then inverter mode.

What i tried :

I tried to setup the AC IN conditional with :
- ACIN ON if SOC < 100%
- ACIN OFF if voltage reach 64V (It's a volunteer high value for testing)

I tried to use WEAK AC, UPS function, Dynamic Current limit, PowerAssist

I tried to reset the Cerbo and setting it from scratch

I tried to reset the MP2 and setting it from scratch

I tried to warm up batteries to 15°C/20°C to be sure that's not the problem.

The generator is perfectly functionnal

What i need :

Some new ideas :)

Does anybody knows if i can find the FULL logs of the MP2 ? Maybe i could find something in it. I don't know what for now but i can look deeper into it.

purei asked
purei commented ·

0 Answers

VE.Smart Orion-Tr Smart networking

Any update on VE.Smart networking for the Orion Smart Tr DC to DC chargers? I'll have an MPPT and two 30A DC to DC chargers and it would be excellent if they all knew each other on the same battery bank.

[moderator's note: edited to show "VE.Smart Networking" rather than "VE.Bus Networking"]

d-winterburn asked
andrewf answered ·

42 Answers

3 Phase Multiplus II 48/5000/70 with external Batteryfeed (V2L)

we have a 3 Phase Multiplus II 48/5000/70 that is attached to a 50KWh Lithium Batterybank in ESS Setup

We would like to utilize the Vehicle to load functionality to Charge the homebattery ( KIA can give 50KWh of charge to a 230V load at 3.5 KW)

Should I add a Smaller Multiplus II in charger only mode for this or is there an option to use a "Genset" ?

Patrick Maartense asked

0 Answers

Voltage Spikes with Victron MultiPlus and Lithium batteries

Hello!

I'm having issues where I see voltage spikes, most likely from the Victron MultiPlus.

I have seen this in two systems:

System #1:

• Victron MultiPlus 12/3000
  • Victron BMV-712
  • 12x 100Ah 12V Lithium Batteries (Parallel, 1200Ah)

The system has been working without any issues, but I see the spikes as shown in the video below. I have read and heard mentions of cell imbalance, but I have high doubts this is the case. The batteries have been individually charged up to 100% SOC before tests.

System #2:

• Victron MultiPlus 24/3000
  • Victron BMV-712
  • 4x 300Ah 12V Lithium batteries (In series, 600Ah 24V)

Same issues as mentioned above in this system. There are spikes of ampere and voltage, for unknown reasons. In practice, this does not affect the functionality of the system, but it does trigger alarms to go off, which is unfortunate.

I have been in touch with Victron experts, but with no clear answer as to why this is happening.

I'm very curious why these spikes are happening. Is there anyone out there with some knowledge here?

Appreciate all help!

Print screen with 60 day period:

[image]

mjbruen asked

0 Answers

2011 Posts
1054 Users
12 Followers

Topic Experts

wkirby
1937 Points
Alexandra