question

mge avatar image
mge asked

durability of the newer tech with RJ45 and IP22 equipment

Hi,

I am planning installations on small workboats and am looking into the newer battery systems. I am quite hesistant to go for the lithium gear with BMS's and all data ports and so on. If I look at the Lynx BMS for example it is IP22.

How do you experience the durability of all this gear with condensation, sometimes due to a metal boat, sometimes because of water in the hull, etc. I have the feeling the equipment is quite fragile and more suitable for larger yachts and workboats, where the technical area's are more separated from the wet area's.

Would love to get some feedback here!

Thanks,

MG

installationlifeposafety
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@MGE

I would not say they were fragile, they are just not made for those conditions.

You would need to look more at the equipment with ip65 and 67 (IP22 is not it)

And Victron do make chargers and Shunts for that kind of application.

For the batteries you can buy lead acid drop in replacement with no BMS ports just terminals and use the ip65 smart shunt for SOC.

https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers

https://www.victronenergy.com/meters-and-sensors/smart-battery-shunt

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dc-marine avatar image
dc-marine answered ·

Look into Volthium batteries, they Adventura lineup is made for marine environment with their smaller batteries being fully waterproof with bluetooth and built-in display. They are true drop-in replacement for systems that are configured for lead-acid. Canadian made 10 years warranty. Perfect for a small workboat where things can get wet, yet still connect to your Victron equipment to share BMS data through a sealed round connector or RJ45.

For bigger batteries that have unsealed RJ45 communication ports for system integration (such as the Volthium 200ah to 400ah), they are still quite waterproof with the communication port being the only opening. As long as they are not submerged, they will be perfectly fine even in a somewhat humid environment. Make sure you build a splash proof drained enclosure or shield, as you would with any batteries. They can connect to the Cerbo BMS.Can through a communication blackbox, giving you BMS control/data overview and DVCC capabilities. They have their own internal shunt so they give you SOC directly to the Cerbo, no need for a BMV or smartshunt.

I've been using them in several installations, all engine rooms, all hooked up to Cerbo GX.

Check them out here:

Volthium Batteries

Volthium 100ah

Volthium 150ah IP66

Volthium 400ah 8D

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic