Battery Protect Image

Battery Protect

Using Battery Protect with Inverter (as a load). Victron SmallBMS manual says ok but is it?

Hi, I've been reading up on Inverters and how to install them in my system. I'm looking to add a 1,000-1,500 watt pure sine inverter to my system (not an inverter/charger).

I thought I understood that a BP was not appropriate for this because it would be damaged by the inrush/inductive surge that occurs when due to the inverter's capacitors (sorry if I have the terms wrong, but I get the idea).

However in reading the current Victron manual for the SmallBMS (just downloaded this manual today from the Victron Energy site), I see this paragraph (Safety Instructions, section 3.4):

[image]

I'm sorry if that came out tiny. The Section 3.4 heading is this:

3.4 DC Load: Disconnecting the load with a BatteryProtect

The part I have outlined in red says this:

"Contrary to a Cyrix or contactor, a BatteryProtect can start a load with a large input capacitor such as an inverter or a DC-DC converter."

So that makes it sound like it is fine to use a BP between the battery (and BMS) and the inverter (load). But I thought I understood that that was verboten and would damage the BP? If I'm understanding the manual correctly though, I can use a BP (as a load disconnect/protect) between my main busbar and the inverter (controlled by SmallBMS). Can someone confirm that? Or fill in any misunderstanding on my part?

Thanks,

Coaster

System components (appropriate fusing not mentioned):

Victron Smart 12.8 200ah battery

SmallBMS (or could change to VE.Bus BMS)

BP100 before existing house loads

BP100 (backwards) from charging side (Victron SCC 75/15)

Orion TrSmart DC-DC 12v/12v charger from Start battery (controlled from BMS).

Victron BMV-702/shunt on negative side

coaster asked
coaster commented ·

2 Answers

Lithium battery protect settings

I've got 2. 24v 200ah victron energy li smart batteries wired in parallel to the multiplus 24 3000 with a ve bus BMS

Do the internal temperature sensors in the smart batteries report to the BMS for low temperature and high temperature shut down? Or do I have to buy and install an external temperature sensor and hook it to something

I also have a victron energy 220 battery protect wired into my DC loads and connected to the BMS do I need to program low voltage cut out into the battery protect if so what is a safe voltage? Or should I leave it as it came from the factory and just let the BMS shut it off?

adam-michaud asked
Jonathan answered ·

2 Answers

Smart Battery Protect on battery side of MPPT?

Hi every one

Now I have read everything I can find about Smart Battery Protect on battery side of MPPT and there are people who write it will work, and there are people who write it does not work, and the whole house will burn down.

So Victron who is right, I have found this drawing, where Victron uses it in just this way.

Best regards Jens

[image]

US-VAN-Drawing-VEBus-BMS-MultiPlus-3KW-DMC-400Ah-Li-Cerbo-SBP-100A-&-65A-SmartShunt-MPPT-100-50-OrionTr.pdf

jens-due asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

Electric boat design review request and specific questions

Hello! We are building a 25' all-electric boat, with various Victron components and hoped to get some advice from the community. Questions are up top with details of the system farther down.

Questions:

Battery Protection: We need to have battery under/over voltage protection on the 48V bank, but the largest 48V battery protect from Victron is 100A, which isn't high enough to have just one (We anticipate a potential burst load of say 8kW for 30 seconds or so, which is a 166A load). We could monitor each individual 48V battery with a separate BatteryProtect, but is this the best way to monitor and protect the batteries?

General System Design: Does anyone see a problem with what we have proposed in the diagram below? Any gotchas to watch out for? We are hoping the Cerbo GX and GX Touch 50 + iphone apps will provide monitoring and alarms for system operation.

12V system and battery: We need a 12V battery and require monitoring and protection for it, ideally victron branded and something we can monitor using with the GerboGX alongside the rest of the system. It doesn't appear that the 12V batteries from Victron natively connect to the Cerbo GX, will this require a BMV712 or smartshunt to be monitored? And if so, which is recommended?

Solar System: We will probably have two different sizes of solar panels on the roof of the boat, potentially with different nominal voltages, would that require two different solar charge controllers? Thoughts on flexible vs rigid panels, and the Victron charge controllers that would be best? We haven't purchased the panels yet so needed details are missing but any general advice is appreciated.

Diagram:

[image]

Background:

Gavia Electrical System Design

[image]

Description: Gavia is a 25’ all-electric solar motor boat under development.

48V DC System: The motor is a brushed 7.5 kW DC 48V Thoosa Electric Motor. We hope the nominal draw will be around 1-2 kW while under way, but short bursts (1 minute) of 7.5kW are expected (we have not tested the boat in the water yet). Energy will be provided by a 48V lithium-iron battery bank. Solar cells on the roof will be the primary recharge method, hopefully 1kWp or greater, with AC shore power and backup 1kW generator for AC charging on-the-go. A hybrid inverter/charger should be a convenient way to pack lots of functionality into one box, and AC input/output should be 120V (we are in the USA).

12V DC System: The 12V DC system will be used to run low-wattage house electronics (navigation, radio, windless, house lighting, etc), and 12V bow thruster whose max draw is 1500W. This larger 12V draw necessitates a 12V energy bank (vs relying on DC-DC converter), so a 12V 100+A lithium battery will be used and it should recharge from the main 48V system.

120V AC: 120V AC will be used for a minimum number of appliances onboard, the largest of which is the induction cooktop with a 1800W maximum draw. This will be provided by the hybrid inverter/charger.

Note that we do not anticipate running the high power loads at the same time. For example, we won’t run the induction cooktop while the electric motor is running.

Here are some system components:

• Inverter/Charger: "PMP482305100 MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-50 120V"
  • 48V Bank: SimpliFi PHI 3.8-M ("PHI3.8 48V 60 VTE BRK") wired in parallel (x4)
  • Onboard component monitoring (interior): "Victron Energy BPP900455050 GX Touch 50" with "Victron Energy BPP900450100 Cerbo GX". Onboard component monitoring (exterior helm station): ipad similar device running victron app, with weatherproof case
  • Battery Capacity Shunt: "Victron Energy SHU050150050 SmartShunt 500A/50mV"
  • Battery Protect: Undervoltage/overvoltage protection: The batteries have a BMS, but we need an additional protection for the battery bank as a whole or the individual batteries.
  • 12V DC Charger: We will use an AC battery charger to charge the 12V bank. We cannot use a DC-DC charger for this because the Victron DC charger is not isolated; the motor requires no other DC systems on the negative side of the 48V system
  • 12V House Loads Battery: something with 1kWh of energy and built-in BMS, and some way to monitor the voltage.

ev-gavia asked
ev-gavia commented ·

3 Answers

Controlling allow-to-charge VE.Bus BMS to Smart MPPT

What is the correct way to communicate allow-to-charge from a VE.Bus BMS to a Smart MPPT?

On my sailing catamaran I have Victron Smart LiFePO4 batts, VE.Bus BMS, 150/70 Smart MPPT, 712 BMV (among other components) installed DIY in 2018. Currently not cruising this winter where it's always warm, so first time I've had to deal with LiFePO4 low temperature cutout.

When installing my system, my dealer insisted I needed to use a battery protect between the MPPT output and batteries for overcharge protection. The MPPT Remote on-off terminal is not being used - the two connections are jumpered together to allow the unit to turn on. I do not have battery temp sensors other than the internal ones in the batteries and do not have GX or VE.Direct. I have VE.Smart networking enabled in Victron Connect between the BMV and MPPT, but this does not communicate battery temperature.

When battery temp decreases < 5C, apparently the BMS drops the allow-to-charge voltage as intended, which opens the BP, disconnecting the MPPT from the batteries. This has only happened at night so far, so the MPPT is off anyway. When the batteries have warmed up and the sun is out, charging does not resume, even though the low battery temp condition has cleared, because Error #38 has occurred in the MPPT ("Input shutdown due to battery over voltage"). I do not know if this occurs when the BP opens or when the MPPT turns back on in daylight - possibly causing a voltage overshoot - but it may not matter. The Error #38 is easy to resolve, but inconvenient.

One of the published potential reasons for MPPT Error #38 is: "The battery is disconnected using a Lithium charge relay connected to the “allow-to-charge” output of a BMS. Consider wiring this signal to the Remote terminal of the charger instead. This shuts down the charger gracefully without creating a voltage overshoot."

This sounds like the fix.

It would be easy for me to eliminate the BP and connect the BMS allow-to-charge to the MPPT Remote on-off. Seems to make no difference whether the allow-to-charge has been denied by the BMS due to low battery temp or overcharge. Is this all I need to do? Before trying this I'd like some confirmation that this is a proper change, given the dealer's original insistence to use the BP. At the time I wasn't smart enough to question why not to use the Remote on-off terminal on the MPPT.

Thanks, Dave

2hulls asked
nebulight commented ·

6 Answers

Exlplain remote on off switch for battery protect?

I thought I understood how to use the battery protect remote switch terminals to wire to my inverter on off switch thinking the battery protect would shut off the inverter upon low voltage or when I shut it off in the app. The directions seem simple enough, but it doesn't work. Iv tried every possible configuration. I understand the inverter terminal should never be connected through the battery protect, yet many people tell me they have been doing just that long term with no issues.

Why wouldn't the battery protect be designed to work with an inverter or even an inverter on off remote switch? What am I missing?

Why does this device seem useless and overpriced?

The app has no audible notification of low voltage. My inverter will drain my batteries with no help from the battery protect. Really? Why? Is my only option an annoying alarm that will wake me up in the middle of the night and force me to manually turn off my inverter? Or is there another way? Is a relay my only solution? I want the battery protect to do what it should, turn off my inverter when my batteries reach low voltage. Is that too much to ask from the battery protect that cost me $80.

I have no dc loads to use with it other than my inverter.

Thank you in advance. I sincerely hope I do not have to return the item for a refund to use a much cheaper device that will do the job.

aceclement asked
abeness edited ·

4 Answers

Cause of total system shutdown???
Looking for answers on what could be the issue with our Victron system...(3x 200Ah "Smart" lithium batts with Victron BMS, BatteryProtect, BMV and Color GX monitors, Quattro inverter/charger, MPPT controllers, etc.....all Victron).
A couple of weeks ago, we were hit by a heavy squall, with 35-40kn true wind on the nose, in large confused seas. The autopilot, an NKE driving an L&S hydraulic ram was struggling with the excessive weather helm. Just as we were preparing to put in a 3rd reef, the entire boat "went dark" without warning. No autopilot, instruments, gps, radio comms, or lights.....all 12v circuits on the boat were dead! And just as we really wanted the autopilot to keep driving as we tucked in another reef. The boat was on her ear, (we later found seaweed draped over the leeward lifeline!!!). As we struggled to regain control, all of a sudden the boat "lit up".....all 12 volt circuits started up again!!! YEE HAH!!! we did a quick happy dance!!! But our happiness was short lived, as the cycle of off/on happened 3 more times over the next hour or so. Visibility was very poor, as the rain got heavier. We started the motor (it has a dedicated starter battery) and dropped the mainsail for the last bit of the overflows. At last we rounded the Mull of Galloway and gladly headed north. Conditions have been comparitively mild since then, and the problem has not recurred.
So what happened to our electrical system? After all, having the boat shut down like that at the wrong time could be disastrous. Had this occurred at night, in shipping lanes, ships tracking us on AIS or visually by our lights would not have known we were out there. And similarly, we would have been "blind" without radar or AIS to spot ships. While we still have no definitive answer, at this point all signs point to the Battery Management System (BMS) of the lithium battery installation. It's the only thing which would shut off all of the loads like this. The job of the BMS is obviously to protect the batteries, and will shut down all loads on the system if it senses low overall system battery voltage, overheating of the batteries, or cell imbalance between individual cells in the batteries.
According to the installing electrician/dealer, he feels that the system was "operating normally"!!! That given the struggle of the autopilot in these wind/sea conditions, it is possible that the demands on the battery bank MAY have caused a cell imbalance which caused the BMS to shutdown, even though the overall battery voltage was fine (we'd been charging while hooked to shore power for 3 days so had been 100% only 2 hours earlier).
I am having a hard time thinking of this as "normal operation". Normal operation of critical systems cannot simply shut down without warning, or the system is not suited for purpose!!!!! And also that a cell imbalance could have been brought on by excessive load on the batts. (the autopilot only requires a 30 amp breaker....at 12v, that's just 360 watts, .05c, far less than the load imposed by an induction hob or microwave which we often use for longer periods through the inverter without effect.). While of course I was a bit too busy to check the individual cell voltages with VictronConnect during the shut down, whenever I check the voltages at other times, the 12 cells are all within .01 volt of one another. Any ideas of what could have caused this shut down (it has not happened since)??? And what could prevent it in the future? I am thinking of installing a battery switch in parallel with the terminals of the BatteryProtect relay, normally kept open, in case of another emergency shutdown, though I have been advised that it's use could void the warranty! Any suggestions are welcome!

svbravo asked
2hulls answered ·

4 Answers

BMS ERROR E7- Simple Small Cabin Solar and Gen powered 25.16 Lithium Wiring Schematic -

Here is the mock up of my wiring schematic ...is there someone who can take a look at it and tell me if there is something I am missing? When I connect the BMS Load Disconnect - I get a BMS Lockout Error E7 - I have checked all my wiring and it is as shown ....so I am not sure what is creating the error? DC Victron Wiring .pdf

Michael Ziegler asked
Michael Ziegler commented ·

1 Answer

BMV-712 with Battery Protect and Smart Solar 75/15

I've asked a similar question before that got answered below and I am using that information
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/91621/smart-battery-protect-with-smartshunt.html

My current system as I've decided to spend a bit more money is:
BMV-712 + Smart Battery Protect 100amp + Smart Solar 75/15

I have the BMV-712 relay connected to the remote pins on the SBP. With that I am happily controlling the DC loads I have based on the SOC of the battery. This is great as I don't like relying on voltage to keep my batteries healthy because it's a black art to figure out the state of charge of the battery because the voltage depends on what loads I have connected, it depends on if solar is topping up my battery, etc etc.

Anyway onto my actual question can I use the SBP with a relay to connect to the VE Direct RX pin of the SmartSolar so that I can control the SmartSolar load?

I would like to use the smarter features of the SmartSolar to control some loads based on times, but also I would like it that when the BMV-712 decides that the SOC is too low I would like all loads to be disconnected.

Is the alarm pin of the SBP useful at all? Will it indicate if the battery protect is active or not?

Otherwise the other thing I'm thinking is that I could power a relay from the out side of the SBP, and then that relay would connect the SmartSolar RX pin to 0V or 5V.

So can I use the RX pin control function of the SmartSolar in combination with the Streetlight function?

Does anyone know if the RX pin has an internal pulldown to 0V or a pullup to 5V? I'm trying to figure out if my relay would need to connect the RX pin to GND or a 5V source.

Thank you,

Alex

alexandruy2k asked
alexandruy2k commented ·

1 Answer

Arogfet 24/12 bat isolator wiring question

I have a Victron Argofet battery isolator to charge both my 24v(LI) trolling motor system and 12 v(LI) house/start batt.

I have looked at the manual and am a little confused as to how to wire it properly using the battery switch. The diagram shows the battery switch wired to the energize port which is very small considering my ele. start motor draws a large load to start the battery.

Also, I have solar panels to trickle when motor is not in use. Are they wired to the input along with the alternator input?

leo-young asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

How to use 2 SBP to protect the Battery in combination with an Inverter and Battery charger?

Dear Victron community experts,

I am seeking your advice and verification for the following setup.

I would like to have a Battery solution which is permanently connected to the PV, but disconnects automatically when fully charged and no 12V load is applied.

In case the PV was unable to fully charge the Battery, I would like to have the option to charge via a Blue Smart Charger.

An automated complete disconnection of the Battery is desired for mainly 2 reasons:

A) for safety reasons and

B) to avoid the Battery being permanently charged via PV and gets over time discharged due to standby power consumptions in the setup.

Hence, the idea here is to have one Smart Battery Protect on the charging side of the Battery as well as another Smart Battery Protect on the load side of the Battery. Hope this logic of mine by using 2 SBP will actually do the wishfully automated disconnection of Battery when not in demand.

On the Charging Side:

Either PV or the Blue Smart charger would charge the 200Ah LiFePo4 Battery with an integrated BMS via the SBP 12/65.

On the Load Side:

Is a DOMETIC 12V/2000W Power Inverter with an external on/off switch as well as DC load via the SBP 12/220 connected.

These are now my questions:

With this setup, the Power Inverter will be seen as a load by the SBP 12/65 on the charging side. Since the SBP flow is from IN to OUT, I assume the Power Inverter with capacitor on its input will cause reverse current backflow and damage the SBP 12/65!

1. If so, how do you overcome this when the battery is simulations charging (current flow from one direction) as well as used as power source to run the Power Inverter (which will cause current flow to the opposite direction). Means, both SBP (on the charging as well as load side) are actively working.
  2. I can read in the SBP manual “..For that use case, please use the SBP to control the remote on/off switch on the inverter, instead of disconnecting the higher power DC line.” And luckily the Power inverter has an external on/off switch, but how is this helping in this setup to protect the SBP 12/65? If the Power inverter gets disconnected, I will not be able to use the Power Inverter at all.

I would like to thank you already now in advance for your comments and suggestions.

oMora

omora asked
omora edited ·

11 Answers

Checking diagram of an 24V 1000Ah Lead-Gel configured as 5x (2x12V 200Ah)

[image]

Hi all,

We have the challenge that we need to provide a batterie for a Off Grid open environment (construction site).

We have only control of the battery box (All in the Diagram) the rest like charger & solar panels we have no access and no control of it. So therefore, we would like to protect the Battery at least from deep discharge <= 22V

Details:

• Power Consumption of the Load Mid is 75W/h => Peak 150W/h
  • Power Input from Solar Power is Max 450W for a Very short time.
  • The Capacity is 24V 1000Ah Lead-Gel configured 5x (2x12V 200Ah)

Victron equipment:

• 1x BMV-712 Smart
  • 1x Smart Battery Protect => I believe this would generate a Problem when Charging::?
  • 1x Battery Balancer

The large size of the battery is because the place (construction site) is in a valley between mountains and therefore the Sun is only a vew hours or sometimes now in the winter no sun for several Days and it is coold +8° to - 20°(extrem at some nights)

Could you check the diagram and guide me to a proper wiring, that would be great

Any help appreciated, thx in advance

lotus111 asked
lotus111 answered ·

2 Answers

Victron Blue Smart Charger IP22 and Battery Protect 12V
For the electrical installation of my van, I would like to confirm the correct connections between my products.
I have just received my Victron Energy Battery Protect 12/24 100A. This I will use in combination with the Blue Smart Charger and a 105Ah semi traction battery with a 100A fuse on the positive connection.

With the charger, I want to be able to charge my battery and use my loads, while I will want to use the Battery Protect to monitor and protect my battery when I don't have 220V connection.

[image]

The Battery protect did include a manual with wiring diagrams, including one with the charger and Battery protect, but it does’t show where the loads should be and so I guess this is meant for another use.

[image]

Which diagram to use and how?

Just don't want to mess these up, so I appreciate you help! Thanks

hannevanlife asked
hannevanlife commented ·

1 Answer

Smart Battery Protect with SmartShunt

Hi,

From reading the manuals the SmartShunt compared to the BMV devices is lacking the pins to set an output alarm or relay.

Which means that I cannot use the SmartShunt together with the Battery Protect to disconnect my DC loads based on the SOC of the battery.

However as both the SmartShunt and the Smart Battery Protect have bluetooth and I have seen in the app that there are networking features, can the SmartShunt talk to the Smart Battery Protect wirelessly and tell the Smart Battery Protect to disconnect my DC loads when let's say my lead battery reaches 50% SOC?

Thank you very much,

Alex

alexandruy2k asked
alexandruy2k commented ·

4 Answers

Smart Battery Protect

I am installing a a solar panel on my camper connected via a Victron 100/20 MPPT to a standard lead-acid leisure battery. I would like to include a battery disconnect mechanism to cut off load from the battery when the voltage drops. Is the Smart battery Protect the best way to do this? If so, what is the recommended wiring? For example would it be an issue having the solar still connected to the MPPT if the battery has been disconnected? Would I need to have the MPPT bypassing the BatteryProtect and connecting directly to the battery to prevent this?

Thanks

Alan

alanrr asked
alanrr commented ·

1 Answer

Can I connect a Argo Diode 80A on the negative polarity

Good day,

Can I connect a Argo Diode with Negative polarity in reverse or will this degrade the diode. Thanks

duttonga asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Smart Battery Protect at the output of an MPPT 100/50

A simple question: I have a Smart Battery Protect (SBP) on the charge side of my Lithium battery, driven by a SmallBMS. Should I connect my MPPT 100/50 through it, or directly to the battery? I am concerned that the SBP won't allow current backwards, so the MPPT will shut off entirely at night (presuming no other charge sources). I do intend to connect the alternator thru the SBP, also the AC Charger.

Hartley Gardner asked
Hartley Gardner answered ·

2 Answers

Smart Battery Protect disconnects momentarily

After updating a Smart Battery Protect 100 Amp to the latest firmware it now disconnects the load momentarily at what appears to be random times, it is connected to Smart Lithium batteries that rarely go below 95% charge, there is a small load 1 to 2 amps that is drawn through a Schaudt EBL111, when the disconnect happens the EBL111 switches off and disconnects all loads which requires a physical button to be pressed. I have removed the disconnect wire from the BMS to the battery protect and put the bridge wire in. The Battery Protect has the preset Lithium profile activated. Any help would be much appreciated as the button to press is 20 miles away!

Thanks in advance.

chrishon asked

0 Answers

Battery Protect and Inverter Wiring

I have a Battery Protect installed in my system with a Renogy 700W inverter connected directly to the battery via a 100A fuse. It does have a remote on/off switch panel which connects to an RJ11 style connector on the inverter. How do I wire this switch to the BP so it will disconnect with my other 12v DC loads when the BP low voltage setting kicks in?

justin-carver asked

0 Answers

Battery Protect not waiting 90 seconds

I have a Battery Protect 220. The loads are all on the correct side.

I have a charger/inverter (not victron, sadly) and that is not protected with the battery protect because it's a charger. Thus, I was hoping to use the relay contact on the BP to disconnect the charger/inverter. I haven't done that yet.

The issue is when the charger/inverter line is reconnected, the BP disconnects and reconnects. It does not wait 90 seconds. It does not display anything on the segment display. Neither the BP nor the smartshunt register a drop in voltage. I don't have an ammeter capable of measuring the inrush current.

Any ideas?

semaphore asked

0 Answers

Connecting an inverter to a smart battery protect?

I bought a 220 amp smart battery protect recently as apart of a project in my motorhome. My motorhome has a battery to battery 50amp, 30 amp mains charger, 30 amp solar charger, 1600 watt pure sine inverter, 280 watt solar and 330 amp batteries. Its all from Sterling Power and works very very well. I had the idea that when the batteries were full on solar I could then use the excess energy to hear the water. The water heater is a Truma 10lt boiler that can be used on gas or mains electric. The element is only 450 watt so doesn't take a long time to hear up and switch off via a thermostat. Anyway the idea was that I would use the smart battery protect to switch the inverter off if there wasn't enough power in the sun to keep the batteries afloat, cut off if they got to low and start up when the batteries were good to go again.

What I didnt fully appreciate is that you cannot directly connect the inverter to the SBP without frying it as the capacitors draw a huge sudden current draw on re-connection. Had a think about this and I came up with the idea of using the SBP to monitor the battery voltage and switch a 3 amp AC relay that is 12v controlled to disconnect the boiler element. The 220 amp SBP is a bit over the top then but I will keep it anyway incase I use it for another project.

Does this seam like the best route or is there another way. I also thought that this would be a better way of doing this as it would allow other devices to remain connected e.g. small laptop charger.

Regards

Grant Kay

hirtag asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

battery protect modules leaking voltage?

Hi I’m hoping someone can help, I’m using the battery protect 65A module with the remote function connected to a switch, on the out-side I have an circuit board for a speed controller with power indicator LED, the issue I’m having is after I turn off the Victron module my controller is not properly turning off and a warning light remains lit, I measured a 2.5v 0.3mA still passing through the Victron out terminal after the switch on the remote is used.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I was expecting the Victron to completely cut the supply when switch remote terminal was used.

lewie asked

0 Answers

Questions about 12V load and inverter remote control over MPPT and some general schematics help

Hi guys,

I'm working on the electric schematics for a pickup truck as a expedition vehicle.

I would like to ask you guys if my thinking is correct or if you have some inputs to make it better.

Are there any concerns regarding safety ?

One of my main questions is: How does the load output of the mppt really work? I read all the manuals and couldn't find a proper answer.. Can I control both, the smart battery protect for my 12V loads and the 800W phoenix inverter together? I've drawn a connection from the Load + (MPPT) to the H-Remote connection of the Battery protect and to the right connector of the remote connection plug of the Inverter. Both are as well controllable with a switch.

The other question.. I would like to run the AC output of the Inverter as an isolated IT-Network... is it in this case necessary to connect the PE to the ground (as drawn in my schematics?)

Thank you for your help.

BR, Mario

[image]

marioeder asked

0 Answers

How to use the Smart Battery Protect with a converter

I;m wondering if this would work for using the SBP in my RV? It would involve connecting the battery and converter to a new positive bus bar. I would then connect the bus bar to the DC fuse board through the SBP to prevent to converter from causing the reverse current at the SBP.

[image]

jdlandrum asked

0 Answers

Help defining specs charger/inverter and battery protect CAMPERVAN

Hi all! :-)

I am a young an enthousiast girl buzy with a camperitzation of a van (not sure how far I will get but I'll try!) and I saw and read a lot of information, but I have some doubts about which criteria to follow when choosing Victron equipment. Hopefully someone can help me! My apologies upfront if I'm asking stupid questions :(

My system will have:

- 2x320W solar panels

- 2x170 Ah 12 V batteries (link 1 or link 2, to be decided) --> are these ok for the application?

- 1x Relay RL-180/200 12 V to connect to the alternator

- 1x SmartSolar charge controller 100/30 (because max current both panels is 21 A)

But I am not able to define what are the specs that I need for the:

- Multiplus inverter/charger from Victron:

First question is, do I want a module that does alltogether or shall I buy separate components? Second question: which is the power that I need for the charger and inverter side?

My consumers in 230 V are:

[image]

Total A/day = 23,73; Total W/day = 5458

My consumers in 12 V are:

[image]

Total A/day = 102,88; Total W/day = 1234,6

Third question is: I want to install an outer power take off to connect to the camping 230 V socket and charge/use the 230V consumers with the electricity of the camping mains. If I would connect the vehicle to the camping socket, will the multiplus inverter/charger charge the batteries and allow me to use my 230 V consumers at the same time? I want to avoid the situation of connecting to the camping grid, batteries not full and using 230 V consumers and not having enough power, since with a 10 A socket from the camping, I can only consume 2300 W (3680 W max with 16 A). Like: I plug to the camping socket and I plug my hairdryer, does the inverter charge at the same time the auxiliary batteries? If so, with a 12/1600/70 model and a 1000 W hair dryer, I could not connect many more things since the inverter can deliver max 1300 W!

Is the 12/1600/70 indicating the max charging current of the battery? What is the maximum charging current of the batteries? 170 A?

Also not able to define which:

- battery smart protect: fourth question: which of these 65A/100A/220A ? or another?

Sorry for my lengthy email, but I am new in this field. Every help is very appreaciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Wendy

wendy1 asked
kevgermany answered ·

5 Answers

SBP-65 controlled by Remote BMV Temperature AND High Voltage?

Hello,

I'd like to use a SBP to control a 24v seawater airconditioner for cooling lithium cells while charging.

The Smart Battery Protect shall power the airconditioner as long as these two conditions are met (logical AND):

High Battery Temperature via Remote Port (Smart BMV-712 alarm/relay)

High System Voltage (as approximation of Solar absorb phase) via SBP internal sensor (e.g. >3.35V@Cell or >26,8V@24V)

Can this be done with a single SBP or would I need to use two SBP in series? (1: voltage, 2: remote)

Or even better: Can I use two remotes (H&L) from Smart MPPT Absoption relay and Temperature from BMV on a single SBP?

Stephan Gerz asked
Stephan Gerz edited ·

0 Answers

Smart Battery Protect compatible with Cruise2.0 outboard and SWAC?

Dear Victron Community,

I've read that a Smart Battery Protect shall not be used inline with inductive loads like 230V inverters. This raised concerns about using Smart Battery Protect for electric motors and compressors.

I'd like to use a SBP-100 to drive a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 24V 2kW outboard (relay operation only, added benefit of bluetooth control) and a SBP-65 to drive a seawater airconditioner (HFL coolmax 24V 22A).

What are your thoughts on feasibility and longlevity of these approaches?

EDIT: Cruise 2.0 manual recommends a 125A fuse. Cruise 2.0 cable set ships with a CF8 135A fuse. So how about a SBP-220?

Stephan Gerz asked
Stephan Gerz commented ·

1 Answer

Battery protect between fridge and battery, alternator directly to battery

Hello,

I have very basic knowledge of electronics, please keep that in mind when commenting :)

Up until now I had a straightforward setup. My 2nd car battery (used only by my small dc fridge) was charged directly by my car alternator (BM Solenoid used to charge the 2nd battery). To the 2nd battery I had only my fridge directly connected. The fridge was always on (when in use) and sometimes drained the 2nd battery when the vehicle was stationary to long. I therefore installed a battery charger, directly wired to the 2nd battery, which i would use to charge the battery when the vehicle was standing for long periods at a time.

I would now like to install the BatteryProtect 65 only between my fridge and the 2nd battery, to prevent the battery from being completely drained by the fridge.

Question: Can i leave my alternator (BM Solenoid used to charge the 2nd battery) and battery charger directly connected to the 2nd battery as before? And use them to charge the 2nd battery the same manner as before? ...without having to go throught the Batteryprotect?

alspal asked
alspal answered ·

3 Answers

Battery Protect with Lithium and 250amp alternator.

I am installing Lithium batteries as a house bank. The alternator I have fitted to the boat is a 250amp. What Victron product will need to be fitted between the alternator and the batteries to reduce the amps and provide a divert to a lead acid to protect the alternator in the event the bms switches off the Lithiums.

shanti asked
bathnm answered ·

1 Answer

Hydrogen Sensor

Hi,

We are finalising a large build with 3x 15000W Quattros of 280Kwh of capacity, all AGM. We need a way to have a protection against hydrogen, so we have here 2 sensors and wondering if they can connect direct to CCGX or through Arduino.

Regards,

renz asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

4 Answers

Followers

317 Posts
280 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Stuart
1 Points
enodev