orion-tr smart Image

orion-tr smart

Orion 12/12-30 input voltage value frozen?

Hi all!

I have an Orion 12/12-30 installed in a VW T6.1 charging a LiFePo leisure battery. All installed and working perfectly until my last drive. After a few hours of driving I noticed the battery hadn’t been receiving any charge. Message reads Charge disabled due to engine shutdown detection (I’m using the algorithm rather than a engine run signal wire). I can force it to charge by disabling engine shutdown and voltage lockout so the unit does function.

The input voltage figure hasn’t changed from 11.6v after 8 hours of driving. Normally I’d see that figure fluctuate depending on what the smart alternator is doing in relation to driving conditions. Resetting to factory default had no affect. Next now I’m home, I’ll disconnect the unit all together to effectively ‘switch it off and on’ the classic fix!

Just wondering if anyone has come accross a similar issue with the input voltage figure freezing? I’d appreciate any input if you have.

Cheers!

imthebatman asked
shea commented ·

3 Answers

ORION Tr-Smart Remote Input inactive

Guys, I‘m really fucked up now. It worked for a long time, anf all of a sudden the remote input turned inactive without a cause.

Voltages are ok, jumper is ok and plugged. Anyone experienced this?

[image]

cstenger asked
cstenger commented ·

1 Answer

Can the 3 outputs of IP-22 12/30/3 be connected

If the IP-22 has outputs connected to the both the starter and the house bank, what happens when the banks are connected, for example using a 1, 2, All switch, an emergency-parallel switch or an ACR?

I have a 1,2,All switch. If I'm connected to shore power I want both batteries to get charged even when the switch is off. I'm going to get rid of the switch and replace with separate switches for each battery and either add an ACR or an Orion TR-Smart 12/12 DC/DC charger.

With an ACR I assume you can connect a single charger output to either bank (which one is optimal?) and the ACR will close the circuit so the other bank gets charged. Does this make sense?

But what if I choose use an Orion instead of an ACR? The reason would be to get a better charging profile than the alternator alone can provide and also keep a steady voltage to protect equipment. Is this a common use case? Anyway, if I go this path then the charger needs to be connected on the starter side because the Orion only works in one direction. But the efficiency is 87% so which means a loss of 13%. In this case it would be nice if the IP-22 can be connected to both banks. The Orion also needs to cope with a charge voltage on both sides.

Robert Friberg asked

0 Answers

Orion charger alongside an existing dual battery system

I am currently building a camper and I am considering the charging options. I have the solar and inverter/charger worked out but am having a little difficulty working a solution for charging the camper battery from the car whilst driving.

The car already has a dual battery system with a CTEK charger charging a 120 amp AGM battery from the alternator and a solar panel on the roof of the car. I have a BMV-712 on this setup for monitoring. It works well so I am not looking to change this side of the system.

The camper set up will be lithium (so different battery types). I think I can just run an Anderson plug to the vehicle hitch from the second battery (after the CTEK charger) and connect the Orion charger to this circuit (in charger mode). I am considering the Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-18A for this install. Can anyone offer their opinion on this setup given that the Orion would not directly connect to the vehicle alternator in this scenario.

afljafa asked
afljafa answered ·

2 Answers

Orion Isolated or not?

I going to fit two Orions to charge two separate auxiliary batterie. They will be fed from the main service bank/various charging sources.
There is no definition in the spec sheets that tells me the difference between the two types and how the isolation works.

can anyone help?

brownbear asked
Robert Friberg answered ·

3 Answers

Orion-Tr Smart Isolated 12/12 30 and ve.bus BMS

Hey,

I've got an Orion-Tr Smart Isolated 12/12 30 and ve.bus BMS. I'm using the Orion to charge my LiPO4's via my Sprinter's alternator.

I've got a small issue I'm hoping I can get some help with. I'd like to control the Orion's charge state in two ways. Engine ignition and BMS charge disconnect (for battery temp protection). Page 7 of the Orion's manual has a diagram showing how to hook up the BMS in conjunction with an ignition switch, but there's conflicting information. The close up in the diagram and overview are opposite.

Image below. Which is correct? Left or right diagram? BMS charge disconnect into L or H?

https://imgur.com/N6qohJ0

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

[image]

conradzik asked
twintip answered ·

2 Answers

3 Orion-TR-Smart 12/12 30A communicating over Bluetooth

With 3 Orion-TR Smart 12/12V 30A's paralleled, how does communicating over Bluetooth work with selecting each device individually to set them up, do they appear as unique device names? Anything else required for 3 devices on the same 12V bus?

Thank You.

ve-user asked
ve-user edited ·

1 Answer

Limit first charge cycles on batteries

Hi, I put an orion 12-12-30 a mppt 100-30 and an ac \ dc charger. I wanted to preserve and reduce the cycles on the batteries so I set: on the AC \ DC charger the start of the first charge at 3 Amp and this works well.

On the orion I put a discrepancy voltage higher than 0.5V so when the Voltage is below 13.00 (holding voltage 13.4V); The problem is that everything always starts every time the machine is switched on.

riccmy asked

0 Answers

Need Orion 12/12 30dc charger PKU

My Orion was working great until I changes the PIN, then lost it (I know my fault). Research showed the PKU is on the underside of the hardware device, let me tell you it is packed away with 4 screws in a difficult place to remove. Is there any other way, any way at all to find the PKU?

Thank you,

D

girlinvan asked

0 Answers

Wiring MPPT 100/20 and Orion 12/12 30 non-isolated

Hi everyone,

I installing the electricity in my van conversion and I'm looking for a little help on the wiring set up for my dc-dc charger and MPPT. I can't find a clear explanation of how these should actually be wired in practical terms. It's my first time and I'm just nervous about making a mistake.

Should they both be wired directly to the positive terminal on my battery bank (2x 180Ah AGM in parallel)? If so, how will they interact with one another so as not to over charge the battery? they are both smart units, so perhaps this all depends on the Victron connect app?

Any help would be much appreciated (including wire and fuse sizing!)

Thank you!

asinnobooks asked
asinnobooks edited ·

0 Answers

Camper electric; combining Multiplus Mppt and Orion smart DC-DC

Campervan electrics

I am currently rebuilding a Fiat Ducato van into a campervan. For the electrical system we want to use a 230v fridge, a roof fan, Led lights and some smaller accesoires such as usb chargers etc.

A rough estimate of powerusage:

Watt

Hours p/d

Wh

Ah @12v

Fridge 230v

Usb

Lights

Fan

Laptop/bikechargers etc.

Waterpump

Total

909,6 Wh

75 Ah

Adding losses, I estimate a bit less than 100Ah/day.

Charging

• Multiplus 800VA
  • Orion DC/DC smart 18A or 30A
  • Mppt 75/15 with +- 200Wp solar

Storage

The intended use of the camper van is to travel around, stay a day or to and then move again. so alternator charging and solar should be most of the charging required. Going with a multiplus is a nice to have, as adding a charger later would require a lot of components if I buy a separate inverter.

I am still looking into what I can afford,100Ah lithium sounds great, but 220Ah AGM is also reasonable for our uses. Due to a smart alternator a DC/DC charger seems needed anyways, so all should be easily set up for both chemistries. We’d prefer using a 12v system, as this is commonly used.

Do you have any remarks on this schematic?

(Apart from the not displayed safety on the 230v AC, and the non-calculated wire gauge.)

[image]

My question;

Can I combine the Multiplus, orion smart and mppt without a shunt or GX device or is this not advisable? As far as I can tell this is mostly for monitoring?

The multi and orion won't interfere with the ignition switch used, so it is mainly the communication between the MPPT and other chargers that could be problematic?

Thanks in advance!

Bram

bram1 asked
Kevin Windrem answered ·

3 Answers

Simultaneous Charging, Orion and SmartSolar MPPT
After hours of searching, I cannot seem to find a clear answer surrounding simultaneous charging using the following two devices in parallel:
- SmartSolar MPPT Controller - 75|15
- Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Isolated - 12/12 |18

My questions are as follows:

1. How can I configure both chargers to simultaneously OR individually charge a 100ah Lifepo4 battery?
  2. Would a great SmartShunt or 'Smart Battery Sense' be necessary to make this work effectively? Would it help? (even though I believe the SmartShunt/Smart Battery Sense will only communicate with the SmartSolar MPPT Controller.)

From my own research, it seems like the Orion and SmartSolar will not be able to charge simultaneously due to the lack of VE.Smart support for the Orion. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/ve-smart-product-compatibility.html
They cannot communicate with each other, nor can the Orion receive battery voltage data from a Victron SmartShunt/Smart Battery Sense.

repadventures asked
Bob K edited ·

3 Answers

Orion TR Smart 12|12 30 isolated install location questions.

I'm about out install my Orion and I have a couple location questions.

-It recommends 10cm clearance on both the top and bottom. I'll be right at that. Maybe very slightly less. Being that my location allows me to drill some vent holes behind it, would that help cool it?

-Is there any problem with mounting it on plywood? I know it runs hot, but I'd assume that I don't need to concern myself unless there is plastic or something else that is really sensitive to heat. I could mount it to aluminum brackets if necessary.

christopher-swindell asked
Bob K answered ·

2 Answers

Testing Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger (Isolated) on the lab bench?

Ahoy,

I'd like to use the Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 (isolated) to charge a LiFePO4 battery in my SUV. I'd like to test that the setup is working before I wire everything up in the car. Can I just hook up a 12V, 500W power supply to simulate the alternator?

One concern is the engine detection algorithm. I think I would either need to use a power supply with an output voltage above 13.3V, or change Shutdown/Restart Levels on the Orion-Tr to values lower than what the power supply outputs.

Are there other concerns I am missing?

Thanks!

lordgothington asked
Bob K answered ·

1 Answer

Orion Tr Smart 12-30 and Phoenix 800 - Common Minus/Negative

Hi all

Fairly new to Victron equipment and absolutely very much appreciate the quality of what I’ve seen so far. I’m just embarking on a new project and this one includes an Orion TR Smart (isolated) charger plus a Phoenix Inverter.

My question relates to the negative/minus wiring arrangement. Since this installation will be vehicle-mounted with chassis as battery negative, should both the input and out of the Orion (negatives) be common with the system side of the setup?

Or would you common all of the system side (from the Orion, leisure battery, accessories etc) back to the leisure battery negative and not the chassis?

thanks for any tips or advice

mrrikp asked

0 Answers

Orion non-isolated 12-12-30 - fickers on and off charge

Hi there,

My Orion non-isolated 12-12-30 is newly fitted (3 weeks ago) and supplied by Energy Solutions in Kent-UK.

I have a problem with my Orion, it's never worked properly.

It fickers on and off charge When well below 80% battery charge. I have made a quick 1minute video to demonstrate what's happening.

Can anyone advise a possible problem/solution? @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Here is the 1min video on youtube : https://youtu.be/wTFphmT-RwM

Thanks loads,

Kind Regards

Mike

mike-thornton asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Orion TR Smart and Euro 6 Engines

Hi the collective hive of information.

I am in the middle of commissioning an Orion TR Smart 12/12-30A on a VW T6 Camper van. The system doesn't seem to be triggering that often, and even after a couple of hours driving the Lithium batteries are not full.

All default settings have been used, but the start battery is regularly at 12.3-12.5v.

Are the default settings too aggressive, do they need to be dropped. If so any recomendations. I have done various searches and running second battery charging with Euro 6 engines seems to be a dark art with little information about what a good set of settings should be.

My instincts as opposed to science or knowledge is to:

Drop Input Voltage Lockout to be 12.1v / 12.3v. After starting the engine and idling the starter battery is regularly at 12.2v, so restarting shouldn't be an issue at 12.1v.

Setting Start Voltage to 13.2v

Setting Delayed start to 12.8v

Setting shutdown voltage to 12.7v

Any guidance, are these values too low?

Many Thanks

[image]

[image]

bathnm asked
pau1phi11ips commented ·

0 Answers

Orion-Tr Smart, VE.Direct and integration with GX devices?

Hey there, as I commented on the blog post,

"I'm curious if future versions will have VE.Direct or some sort of integration like that with GX devices? Currently, it seems that the MPPT and MultiPlus are able to coordinate their total charge rate with external BMS via the GX devices. But it seems that the Orion-Tr does not participate in this?"

I'm wondering if there's a way to integrate the Orion-Tr Smart chargers with the CCGX. In particular, as far as I understand, GX devices can coordinate with external BMS via CANBus to determine the charging parameters of a battery. It seems that the Victron MPPT and Victron MultiPlus can respect these limits via VE.Direct and VE.Bus respectively, which is great and a big reason why I bought this BMS and the suite of Victron product.

Now I'm considering purchasing Orion-Tr Smart chargers, however I noticed that they don't have any VE.Direct connectivity, or any other VE connectivity aside from the Bluetooth one. Is something like VE.Direct, VE.Bus or VE.Can planned? Will Orion-Tr Smart chargers integrate with GX devices?

aybabtme asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

14 Answers

Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 Outputs Less Than Half Amps on 55% SOC LiFePO4. Why?

My Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30 Isolated is outputting half or less of its rated amperage to my battery bank, and that amperage falls over the course of a few minutes. With its current performance, its not enough to cover my DC refrigerator (15 amps) and charge the battery bank while I'm driving. What could be causing this?

Here's my setup.

• 2017 Toyota Tacoma w/ tow package (130 amp alternator) & travel trailer
  • Two 100Ah Battle Born LiFePO4
  • 6AWG positive and negative wires from starter battery to Orion and from Orion to batteries.
  • Orion S/N 2048 (appears to be post rev. for overheat changes)
  • Settings: Set to "Charger", Default LiFePO4, Smart Alternator, default vehicle shutdown
  • Installation: Open air, 70°F ambient temperature, in upright position
  • Victron SmartShunt

[image]

With the truck at idle after 2 minutes, the voltage at the starter battery posts is 13.5v. Input voltage to the cold Orion shows 13.1v. Cold Orion output voltage to the batts is around 13.5v.

[image]

Output amperage of the cold Orion as read by the SmartShunt starts at about 18 amps, well below the rated 30 amps. Battery SOC is only 54%. Vehicle is still at idle speed.

[image]

Over just 10 minutes, the output amperage slowly falls to as low as 12 amps. At this point, the Orion is barely warm to the touch.

[image]

This occurs regardless of engine speed. The following video shows the low amperage output over time even when the engine speed is held at 2600 RPM. High RPM starts at 00:30 in the video.

https://tv.gab.com/channel/robertknowlton/view/troubleshooting-victron-orion-tr-smart-1212-30-dc-6132bd320c5416cc4db8f256

Likewise, the input voltage to the Orion remains at 13.1v despite holding the engine speed at 2600 RPM.

https://tv.gab.com/channel/robertknowlton/view/troubleshooting-victron-orion-tr-smart-1212-30-dc-6133879c3beab6d020fd5a9f

Where should I begin looking to determine why the output amperage is less than half of rated amperage?

Bob K asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

3 Answers

Remote status LED for Orion-tr Smart?

I'd like to have a remote status LED so that I can know whether the Orion-tr is charging without having to open the Bluetooth app or go down into the engine room. Can I wire a 12v LED to the L/H terminals and ground or positive in some way to do this?

Thanks!

captbligh asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

Why does my Orion-Tr Smart make a loud chirring sound?

My Orion Smart-Tr DC-DC makes loud and weird noise when the output starts, both the charge mode and power supply mode. See video.

This can't be normal? What could cause this, or what should I do?

Background: the Orion Smart-Tr 12/24 DC-DC in a camper van, charging the leisure battery (24V) from car battery (12V). Leisure battery also has other charging options (solar + Victron Skylla-IP44), and everything works well.

Edit: When it's on, I get 10-15 A current going out as seen and confirmed by the leisure battery BMS. So the unit seems to work, but I don't dare to use it in its current state.

jtm asked
jtm edited ·

2 Answers

Batteries not showing charge via shunt

Hello,

I have recently installed the orion charger to my system along with the victron smart shunt. This is installed with 2 x 126ah lithium batteries. The Orion seems to be working as per picture below but my batteries are only decreasing in power even though I have been driving for hours over the past few days. I also have a low power light come on my victron multiplus. Any ideas at all what could be going wrong? I have checked all the wires/fuses and all seems ok.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

benc987 asked
Bob K commented ·

0 Answers

Amp Draw During Use for Orion-TR Smart 12/12 30A charger

The Orion-Tr Smart 12/12 30a charger is installed in my battery system with a monitor on the load. When I start the vehicle engine with the house battery load at zero, the battery monitor shows the house battery load immediately increasing by 1.5 to 2 amps (give or take). Does this simply reflect the power needs of the Orion-Tr charger while running? I am just trying to explain this load so I understand, and it makes sense that the charger is using power to run itself. Not sure why else the monitor would register that extra couple of amps while the vehicle is running and the Orion device is in operation.

Although, one thing I do not understand is that the Smart DC/DC charger is not connected to the monitoring shunt, but rather connected to a separate post on the house battery. I thought that meant that my shunt (and monitor) would not be picking up on any power used by the Orion DC/DC device. Maybe I just don't understand how the shunt and monitor are working...

jhickok asked
Bob K commented ·

1 Answer

Different size Orion Smart chargers in parallel???

Is it possible to connect example Orion smart charger 12-12/18A and Orion smart charger 12-12/30A to charge one common battery bank?

Matti Koivisto asked
gyzko edited ·

1 Answer

Catamaran without generator possible? ORION-TR a solution?

Hello,

on my catamaran I would like to get rid of the generator.

I will intall 2000W of solar, 1200 AH LiFePo4 batteries and two MultiPlus 3000 in parallel. But this is not sufficient for two reasons:

1) redundancy

2) weather impact (no sun)

As a backup I would like to be able to charge my batteries FAST!! with the two 57 HP Yanmar diesel engines. How do I do that?

Thank you + kind regards,

Peter

phe asked
michael859 answered ·

6 Answers

Orion Tr smart 12/12 18A or 30A

I am switching to lithium on my boat with the alternator charging the starter battery and Orion Tr 12/12 charging the lithium (300ah). But I can’t decide weather to go with the 30A or 18A option in order not to overheat the alternator. My alternator is Hitachi LR155-20 55Amps. What is your recommendation?

hackmanjohn asked
ranger-rocko edited ·

1 Answer

Non-Isolated vs Isolated Orion-Tr

Can anyone kindly give me a straight forward explantion to what is the difference between Non-Isolated vs Isolated Orion-Tr. I am trying to regulate the current coming from the starter battery/alternator to charge my 720AH 12v battery bank. at the moment they are connected via VSR which is not healthy i think :)

Many thanks

vanlifer007 asked
jhickok answered ·

3 Answers

i need a remote wire for orion smart dc-dc

Stupidly, whilst doing some work on the van, iv lost the remote wire that plugs into the bottom of my Orion dc-dc charger.

does anyone know if i can buy this separately?

Thanks

josh

josht6tsi asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

Followers

307 Posts
268 Users
6 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
522 Points