orion-tr smart Image

orion-tr smart

Combine ARGO FET & Orion TR smart

Our current electrical installation on our sailboat has the following setup: 115Amp Alternator which is feeding the starter battery and the service battery bank through an ARGO FET Diode. The ARGO FET prevents back feeding the starter and service batteries vise versa. Know I plan to upgrade my service batteries with Lithium batteries. This leads to an charging upgrade and I plan to use two Orion TR smart 12/12-30 in parallel. Can I install the two chargers behind the already existing ARGO FET on the used output for the service batteries or should / can I remove the ARGO FET and replace his functionalities with the two Orion TR smart? Below the current installation:

[image]

The question is only focused on the ARGO FET and the Orion TR smart. The Lithium Upgrade will contain several additional changes regarding: BMS, smart Battery Protect and so on.

[image]

mzurkirchen asked
Sarah answered ·

1 Answer

Problème démarrage et câblage Orion Smart 12/12-30

Bonjour

je viens d'installer un Orion Smart 12/12-30 dans mon camping-car et je rencontre le problème suivant l'Orion est positionné sous mon siège à 50 cm de la batterie de démarrage pour charger une batterie LiFePO4 de 100A qui se trouve a l'arrière du véhicule environ 4,5m de câble en 10 mm2 le + et sur la batterie et le - sur le shunt, le câblage est-il correcte ?, lorsque je démarre le véhicule la tension de démarrage de l'Orion est très longue à obtenir 14,1V, et la charge peut de 18A voir 10A même 3A , alors que la batterie est 50%, mais il peut aussi ne pas vouloir démarrer.

Merci d'une réponse

Vinatier asked
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

7 Answers

Orion-Tr Smart 24-12 fast blinking LED locked up cannot access via bluetooth no output voltage

Looking for some input from Victron personal or anyone else that has had this problem.

My 24/12 Orion-Tr smart dc-dc charger has locked up. Both the blue and green LED both flash extremely fast. Faster than the flashing cycles described in the manual. The charger does not output any voltage and is inaccessible via Bluetooth. It's as if the charger is locked up for some reason.

This is actually the 3rd unit to do this to me, the first two I simply returned with the vendors but this time I would like to understand what's happening as I cannot really "trust" these units any longer if they are just going to keep failing.

I've gone over my wiring many times and I believe I've installed the charger per the manual so I'm unsure what could be causing these to fail like this.

Attached is a link to a video of the charger being powered on and the LED lights blinking at the nonstop high rate.

Thanks for any insight anyone has.

https://cloud.fernander.net/index.php/s/aw4qZ9GBNbxJcG6

ofernander asked
ofernander commented ·

1 Answer

Correct Input settings for Orion Smart Charger 24-12 20?

I plan to use the Torqeedo 24v x2 batteries to charge the 12V house bank using the Orion 'smart' charger 24-12 20A. As there will be no alternator (solar only), and after studying the manual, I believe the correct input settings are:

1. disable the engine detect (forced charge);

2. set the input voltage lock-out to 23V to ensure the Torqeedos do not shut down, which they will do if voltage falls to 21V.

So my question is "did I correctly understand the manual?"

thanks

jimj asked
kevgermany commented ·

3 Answers

Charge one Lifepo4 battery (at 75% soc) from another lifepo4 battery (at 50% soc)

Hi,

I'd like to be able to charge one lifepo4 battery (that may be at a 75% SoC) from a second lifepo4 battery (that may be at 50% SoC). So the battery with the lower voltage will be providing energy to the other battery.

I believe the Orion Tr Smart may be able to do this, but only if I disable Engine Shutdown Detection - is that correct? Any other non-default settings needed?

Could the Orion Tr (the non "Smart" version) also do this? If so, does it need non-default settings / programming to do so?

Is there a different Victron product that I should be looking at?

thanks

tom saffell asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Intelligente dynamo (Euro 5 en Euro 6 motoren)

Victron Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-18A (220W) DC to DC converter, laadbooster, B2B lader requires Euro 5 or 6 dynamo how do I check this on a VOLVO KAMD 300 turbo ?

dbnunn asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Connect golf cart to house backup system?

I want to use an Orion-TR DC-DC Charger to use my 48V Golf cart (lead-acid) as a secondary backup to my AGM 24V array that powers my house battery backup system. How stupid is this?

richallen78633 asked
bbmz answered ·

2 Answers

No Power to Orion TR Smart Charger

Sheepishly questioning if I have a defective unit. I connected the Charger inputs to the starter battery, removed the remote bridge as directed in the manual, but the Charger will not turn on. I’ve confirmed 14.4 v at the input terminals, but no LED lights turn on and nothing is happening other than I’m burning gas. Help? Send the unit back for another one?

michael-lescord asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

Orion Tr Smart Isolated Connection to Dual Starter Batteries

Hi,

I'm connecting an Orion Tr Smart Isolated to my dual (assuming parallel) 12V starter batteries in my 2002 F-350. Does it matter which of the starter battery positive and negative terminals I connect to?

I'm assuming this should be "cross-wired": i.e. Orion positive to positive of one starter battery, Orion negative to negative of other starter battery, but I'm having trouble figuring out which battery positive goes directly to the alternator, and which is "downstream". Does it matter?

Also trying to make sense of the 2002 F-350 wiring diagrams here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=262628&d=1543385062

Thanks,

A

Aurimas Bukauskas asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

SmartLithium battery 12V 160Ah charged with Orion Smart 12/12/30 isolated

Is it possible that the Smart Orion 12/12/30 goes directly in absorption when the Smart Lithium 160Ah battery is between 8 degrees and 15 degrees while te SoC is 85% ?

Once the temperature is rising above 15 degrees, everything works fine ...

takamine asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Can you set output current too?----Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30

Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30

Trying to add this between vehicle start battery(s) on a diesel truck and my Victron system. I just wanted to know if I can set the output current level from the device?

tmartin000 asked
kevgermany edited ·

2 Answers

Orion 12/12 30A

Mobilehome built on Iveco daily 2017 Euro6 with standard 160A generator.

all victron equipment: 2xmppt, smartshunt, 2xOrion 30A, 3x200Ah lifepo.

problem is that the smartshunt reports max 38A sharging when driving.

anyone having ideas on what could be the problem?

mhuusko asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

0 Answers

Grounding Input-Side Negative Cable from Orion Tr Smart Isolated

Hi,

Possibly a newbie question:

I have an Orion TR Smart Isolated to charge a house battery in a truck camper on a flat bed truck. I ran a wire from the positive input terminal on the Orion in my camper to the engine bay which I will connect to the positive terminal on the starter battery. I'd like to avoid having to also run a negative wire from the Orion input negative terminal up to the engine bay (would need to drill more holes, etc.). Can I just run a wire from the negative input terminal on the Orion to a ground closer by (the flat bed of the truck)? Or does this need to run all the way to the starter battery negative?

Thanks,
A

Aurimas Bukauskas asked
Aurimas Bukauskas commented ·

1 Answer

Orion-Tr Smart, VE.Direct and integration with GX devices?

Hey there, as I commented on the blog post,

"I'm curious if future versions will have VE.Direct or some sort of integration like that with GX devices? Currently, it seems that the MPPT and MultiPlus are able to coordinate their total charge rate with external BMS via the GX devices. But it seems that the Orion-Tr does not participate in this?"

I'm wondering if there's a way to integrate the Orion-Tr Smart chargers with the CCGX. In particular, as far as I understand, GX devices can coordinate with external BMS via CANBus to determine the charging parameters of a battery. It seems that the Victron MPPT and Victron MultiPlus can respect these limits via VE.Direct and VE.Bus respectively, which is great and a big reason why I bought this BMS and the suite of Victron product.

Now I'm considering purchasing Orion-Tr Smart chargers, however I noticed that they don't have any VE.Direct connectivity, or any other VE connectivity aside from the Bluetooth one. Is something like VE.Direct, VE.Bus or VE.Can planned? Will Orion-Tr Smart chargers integrate with GX devices?

aybabtme asked
bathnm commented ·

15 Answers

Orion DC DC Charger; Isolated or non-isolated ?

My motorhome got a starter battery and a leisure batteri,

with a common negative. And for that reason a non-isolated DC DC charger would be my first choise.

How ever; I can not see any reason I should not use a isolated DC DC Charger.

Something I dont get?

Yes, if my two batteries was totally separated both in positiv and negative side,

I would not mix them two. For sure.

But for the typical motorhome i does not matter. Or?

Anyone?

janj asked
Stefanie answered ·

1 Answer

Inconsistent charging from Orion Tr Smart 12/12 30a non-Isolated

Looking for ideas to troubleshoot my alternator charging setup. I replaced a ML-ACR from the AGM setup with 2 Orion Tr Smart 12/12 30a in parallel with the new BattleBorn Lithium batteries.

I took the easy way out and re-used the 2/0 wire run by the original up-fitter from the Transits main terminal back to the power cabinet (10-12' run). There I am using a small busbar to split off 2 50a fused 6awg input wires to each Orion Tr Smart 12/12 30a. Then from the Orions I go to the main busbar.

The Orions will charge for 10mins in Bulk, then flip over to Absorption and not provide any incoming charge. After 10mins the units will sometimes begin charging again while still showing Absorption even though the SOC is at 50%. When the units do begin a new charge cycling on their own, it follows a 5min on, 5min off pattern.

If I remove the jumpers to power the devices off/on, I will get another 10min of bulk charging before it again cycles to Absorption and no charge.

I see input voltages in the 13.8-14.2 range during all this. I have disabled one of the 2 units and see the same behavior, just half the charge amps. I have also turned off the Smart Solar MPPT controller so only one charge source is contributing. My only 2 thoughts are to try and connect via the Ford Customer Connect Point vs direct wire to vans system and/or wire the Orion output directly to the battery incase there is something at the busbar contributing to the issue.

Thoughts?

tazminiandevil asked
cresbar edited ·

10 Answers

Orion 12|12 default min absorb time is 1hr even though the app can set to 0hr

It seems the Orion 12-12 default min absorb time is 1hr even though the connection app will let you attempt to set it to less than 1 hr. Kilovault batteries have a recommended absorb time of 2 min or less. Can/will Victron change the connection app and / or Orion firmware to allow absorb time less than 1 hr?

c12p asked
alexh357 answered ·

3 Answers

Potential between two seperate grounds

I recently split up the ground between the two batteries in my van to install an isolated Orion Tr 12/12 30 and replace the automatic dual relais. So everything powered by the second batterie has his own ground. Since then I measure steady 1.3V Potential between the two grounds. Should I leave it like that? How does this happen? Should I replace the isolated version with non isolated or can I just connect the two grounds again?

ps150100 asked
ps150100 answered ·

2 Answers

Orion TR Smart - No Output/Not Charging

I have been fighting with this Orion TR Smart for a while now (basically since i purchased it) as it has never kept the auxiliary battery charged since it was purchased and finally pulled it all out to check what's going on.

What I have found is that no matter what the app says (Bulk Charge, Float Charge or even if in Power Supply Mode), it never outputs more than around 1.7-2.1v. LED's are normal and correspond to charge modes.

• Checked input voltage at Cable - 14.14v
  • Checked input voltage at Orion - 14.14v
  • Checked output without Battery plugged in (Charger Mode) : 1.7-2.1v
  • Checked output with Battery Plugged in (Charger Mode) : 12.1V (battery voltage, not charging)
  • Checked output without Battery plugged in (Power Supply Mode) : 1.7-2.1v
  • Checked output with Battery Plugged in (Power Supply Mode) : 12.1V (battery voltage, not charging)
  • Vehicle running for 20+ minutes. Still 0 output
  • Tried various battery/shutdown settings - same result

Anyone got any suggestions?

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

doka asked
doka edited ·

2 Answers

How to Wire MultiPlus with Orion and aux alternator

Hi All,

I'm hoping one of you super smart people with free time will help me design this wiring. I'm converting a 2019 Sprinter Van into a camper. It is going to primarily be a road cruiser with occasional camping with hookups. There will be no solar and although I'll have 2 100 amp AGM batteries I don't plan to use them much. Here's the build...

I have an auxillary Nations 280 amp alternator. I have a 15k Dometic Penguin II air conditioner unit (110v) on the roof. I have Victron MultiPlus 3000 inverter and Orion DC to DC 30 amp battery charger. I will have a 30 amp shore power connection. The alternator was designed specifically for the AGM batteries. My intent is to have the house system entirely separate from the chassis systems. I have one giant 0000 gauge cable coming from the alternator. Now what? I'd be willing to pay someone a fee to help layout the plan for this. I don't quite understand how to allow charging of the batteries from the alternator and from the shore power. I need to have the full alternator capacity available to the inverter to run the inverter since the AC will use a lot of power.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can assist.

Brad from MN

allemay@yahoo.com

allemay asked
allemay commented ·

2 Answers

Only charging at ~1amp - Victron Energy Orion Smart 12/12-30A

Hi Folks,

Quick background, Mercedes Sprinter 2021 Gas engine. Victron Orion DC to DC Isolated charger 12/30 running to 2 100ah renogy lithium batteries.

I am to the point where I am thinking I have a bad unit. I start the engine and I will see bulk/absorption charge depending on voltage, but I'm only seeing about 1amp of charging through the victron smart meter. Makes it pretty much worthless as a charger.

Hoping someone has solved this issue. I've searched the forums and read plenty of posts about adjusting the voltage settings for my battery and engine shutdown numbers etc. I've tinkered there. The app says its charging, I'm jut getting barely any amps.

I've gone over all the connections and certain I have the wiring correct.

Any advice? Are these units known for going bad?

frederick-flis asked
kevgermany answered ·

5 Answers

Orion TR Smart / 360 Watt wird extrem heiß und schaltet dann Ladung ab

Trotz richtigem Einbau und ausreichender Belüftung wird es extrem heiß und schaltet dann wahrscheinlich aus Sicherheitsgründen ab. Wie kann das behoben werden?

sebastian-p asked
steff answered ·

1 Answer

Remote L & H pins not working ?

[image]

Hi,

I use the H pin to 12V to turn ON & Off the charger and it worked for a while and now it does not. Shorting L & H does not turn the charger ON either?

1. Engine Shutdown Detection Override option is OFF so according to section 4.4 of the manual, the charger should turn ON when H pin voltage is above 7V;
  2. Input Voltage Lock-Out function is also Disabled;
  3. Mode is set to Charger

Strangely, when the Output of the charger is disconnected and reconnected, the charger is turned ON regardless of the status of H pins. If 12v is put on H pin, then the charger is turned OFF permanently regardless if H pin voltage is recycled contrary to the normal operation of this remote pin.

It seems that the charger function still works but the remote pins L & H function does not anymore.

Any thoughts anyone?

spirare asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Chargers died?

I recently installed a pair of Orion-tr smart dc-dc chargers to charge my lithium bank and they were operational during my first test run. (They weren't quite as powerful as I expected, but were working).

Because the RV is primarily parked (at this time of year), I often connect a NOCO Genius 12V charger to keep the vehicle batteries from going dead.

Between the install / first test and a drive today, the 12V charger was connected for a couple weeks.

I did not isolate (breakers) the Orions during this time and wonder if there is any way that the starter battery charger could have killed the Orions? I would have expected that they would either accept the charge or reject it, but not that they could be damaged.

They are completely unresponsive. No changing. No blue tooth. No visibility on the app.

Does anyone have any advice on what the issue is and / or if there is a way to reset them?

seeinghuman asked
bathnm answered ·

2 Answers

Orion TR smart does not respect remote switch

I Have 2 Orion TR smart non isolated 12/12-30. Installed on a catamaran for one year. Each is on an independent start battery with independent alternator. Recently they will charge regardless of remote switch position. Even with the green remote plug removed both units will charge if the input voltage meets the engine running threshold. This seems to have begun after a firmware update. Currently firmware v1.06. I have removed and reapplied power and still the same. Any ideas? Why both?

jverret asked
spirare answered ·

1 Answer

ORION Tr-Smart Remote Input inactive

Guys, I‘m really fucked up now. It worked for a long time, anf all of a sudden the remote input turned inactive without a cause.

Voltages are ok, jumper is ok and plugged. Anyone experienced this?

[image]

cstenger asked
spirare answered ·

2 Answers

Orion T Isolated 12/30 Charger - 3x parallel but not outputting 90 Amps - why not?

I have three Orion T 12/30 Isolated chargers installed in my Ford Transit RV (Ford Transit 2020 350HD chassis), hoping to get 90 Amp Hours of charging from them. But the maximum charging Amps I see is around 72 Amps. I am wondering if my settings are preventing these units for outputting their full power. I have attached a PDF of the settings, all three have the same settings.

OrionT Settings - 12-27-2021.pdf

My system includes 600 AH of Lithium Batteries (100 x 6), the Ford Transit has two 250 AH alternators, and I have connected the Orions to the CCP2 power output stud under the driver seat. This CCP2 can provide up to 175 Amps of 12 volt power. When running the Transit I turn the 'Auto Stop/Start' to OFF.

All three Orions are mounted properly, and each has a cooling fan blowing air over them. After 1.5 hours of running I see these temperature values: Blue outer case: 114 F, Black cooling fins: 110 F.

Well within specifications to provide full output.

If I run only two of the Orions I will see about 60 Amps of charge. But then turning on the third unit does not provide another 30 amps of charge.

Thanks for your input.

kajimike asked
kajimike commented ·

0 Answers

Orion Tr delayed start not working?

Bit puzzled. My Orion Tr 12 30 seems to work OK except that it starts charging as soon as I start the engine. It's in smart alternator mode on my Euro 6 Relay with the default params, and I would expect the delayed start voltage delay parameter of 120s to mean it would wait 2 mins before drawing current.

Have I misunderstood how this is supposed to work?

markj asked
kevgermany answered ·

2 Answers

Outboard alternator charging lithium

Question

To charge a 12V LiFePO4 from an outboard alternator charging coil, what product is suitable to regulate the charging?

System Components

Outboard: Manual start, Honda BF6, 12V 6A charging coil
Battery: Lithium (LiFePO4), 12Ah, max charging rate 0.8C (9.6A)

Research Done

Watched the Victron Q&A Webinar 1 - Using an Alternator to charge Lithium video, and understand that since the battery has a larger C rating than the alternator, alternator current must be restricted using a Smart Orion or similar.

Options Found

Using the VictronConnect app to check the interfaces via the demo mode. Nothing appears suitable:

- Phoenix Smart Charger IP43 12|30 has "maximum charge current" settings of 7.5A, 15A and 30A, the minimum is too high for the alternator.

- Orion Smart 12V|14V-18A Isolated has a LiFePO4 battery preset but no current limit settings (just voltage), and it isn't clear if it's ok with the variable output from an outboard.

- Blue Smart Charger 12|5 can limit charging to 2A or 7A, but is mains powered, and the 2A lower limit loses 4A of potential charging, while the 7A upper limit is too high for the alternator.

- SmartSolar Charger 100|15 can limit charging on a variable scale in 1A increments, but it's inputs are designed for panels only(?), not an alternator.

Which Victron product will allow the charge to be limited to a safe current for the alternator?

[image]

I am in a 3m open-top inflatable boat so the system needs to be compact, light, and simple.

neepsandtatties asked
neepsandtatties commented ·

6 Answers

Orion TR smart 24/24-17 Bulk current

For the bulk phase voltage or current for the battery could not be set. In the case of Orion TR smart 24/24-17 connected to 24V 150AH VRLA charging current will be 17A? Or some other value?

ico asked
kevgermany answered ·

3 Answers

380 Posts
332 Users
8 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
662 Points
kevgermany
337 Points
safiery