question

dangos avatar image
dangos asked

UK ESS Self-install MCS certification

Hi

I am looking to install my own ESS - Multiplus II with Pylontech US3000C batteries, solar on MPPTs on the DC side. I am happy to do all the design and install work myself, however I would ideally like to find someone who is MCS certified to sign it all off afterwards and give me a shiny certificate.

Does anyone know of anyone that would be willing to do this kind of thing in the South East of the UK?

installation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

I think you will find it to be a near impossible task.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dangos avatar image
dangos answered ·

I thought it may be a tall order, but I can't find any even remotely local installers!

I don't want to feed in... does it even need to be certified?

1 comment
2 |3000

It only needs to be MCS certified if you want to switch to a feed-in electricity tariff and get paid for excess solar. You don't need to contact your DNO if the solar is less than 4kWh either. I guess the 4kWh limit can be ignored too if you're definitely not feeding in tbh but not 100% sure. I think they only need the info to help balance the network and if you're not actually affecting the network then...?

I've got a Multiplus II in my campervan in the UK. When I'm home it charges at night on the cheap rate and powers the house during the day. The solar on the van charges the battery via an MPPT and I have a small PV array in the garden on a grid tie inverter. There's a ET112 meter after grid meter in the house and this links to the van via a Zigbee RS485 bridge. When there's excess solar feeding into the house from the garden PV then the van charges the battery to keep the feed-in minimal. Works a treat!

PS. You can lower the EPC rating of your house with 2.5+ kWh of solar. I think this needs a MCS certificate too, unfortunately.

0 Likes 0 ·
jc2010 avatar image
jc2010 answered ·

@dangos Did you find anyone in the end? I am also looking for an electrician to provide Part P sign-off so I can legally have this installed.

I am not even interested in FiT/SEG, and I am happy to work with the installer/electrician on the design of the DC side if they want custody of that.

I have all the configuration settings for VE.configure and GX ESS ready to assist them in commissioning it.

I even completed 10 of those Victron training videos with the certifications and I have built a few stand alone systems already so I understand how to get these things working, but I'm stuck by red tape of all things.

It is all a bit of grey area, I find myself stuck between MCS Installers who only do MCS, and electricians who seem to be shy of PV.

I wonder how @Jon Young got on, he had an electrican who seemed to be willing to install his equipment.

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Alternatively you could do the install yourself and then get the local authority Building Inspectorate to inspect and certify your work, cost ~£150.

1 comment
2 |3000

I was under the impression that it was illegal under Part P and that only a qualified person or a person listed under the 'Competent Persons Scheme' was only allowed to do work on the CU and PV systems which fall within 'Special Areas' ?
0 Likes 0 ·
dangos avatar image
dangos answered ·

I found a qualified friend who did the install with me and certified it all. Happy days!

2 |3000

jon-young avatar image
jon-young answered ·

I used an electrcian to calculate cable sizes for the armoured cable run. I then dug and ran this 10mm cable (fun!). He then came back to Install the ET112 and to commission the new armoured cable to the garage terminating to a rotary isolator then testing etc.

I will then do the final connection from this to the multiplus-ii and the DC wiring.

2 |3000

jc2010 avatar image
jc2010 answered ·

@Jon Young If you don't mind me asking would you be willing to forward me his contact details to jcve2010.2@gmail.com

2 |3000

Simon Jones avatar image
Simon Jones answered ·

A bit of late reply but wanted to correct some information.

All solar systems are notifiable to the local DNO, if it's under 4kw (peoples general understanding) or 3.68kw (single phase actual) after losses, you can just send in a notify form and they will ask for a drawing and your good to go, this can be done after install and working system.

If you want to connect over 4kw single phase then you can put in an application to the DNO to see if there is capacity to allow your connection, if so, you pay the contract fee and then you sign an agreement once signed by them you can connect the inverter.

I have 6kw inverter, (10kw of battery storage) connected single phase with DNO approval all self installed and negotiated with the DNO direct, including export payments from Octopus energy, there is no legal requirement for MCS for export, if you speak with Octopus they can accept the DNO approval form and will sort out a new export meter number, you can't get the meter number for export (if you have a smart meter you already have the ability to measure export) without the notification.

Hope it's helpful for you.

1 comment
2 |3000

Simon I (and I imagine a lot of others) would love to hear more about the process you went through in more detail.

0 Likes 0 ·