question

oliman avatar image
oliman asked

US Certification for Victron Inverters

I'm trying to figure out if Victron inverters are US certified?

My solar installer is saying he can't use Victron because it won't pass inspection in Washington state (US).

I found the below certificates on victron's site, but my installer says he doesn't see a listing for US or at least one that Washington State recognizes so he can't legally install it.

I sent a mail to Victron to ask for clarification, but figured I might post here as well just in case someone here was able to help figure this out.

Quattro 15kVA Certificate
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-G59-3-1-MultiPlus-and-Quattro-3kVA,-5kVA,-8kVA,-10kVA-and-15kVA.pdf

Battery Inverter Certificate
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-ESS-AS-NZS-4777.2-MultiGrid-24-3000-70-50,-48-3000-35-50-No.-SAA162783.pdf

installation
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oliman avatar image oliman commented ·

I'm going to assume from the lack of response here, and also not hearing anything back from my email to Victron support directly that this is not officially supported for US residential instillation.

It's a shame, I need to be legal in my area though and so I'm off to look for another inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Rich Shea (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Rich Shea (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

There are MultiPlus 12V 3kVA and 24V 3kVA models in 120V that have been certified to UL1741, CSA 22.2, and UL 458 for North America. Please see the links below from the Certificates section of the Victron Energy website. Note several other products, such as the SmartSolar and BlueSolar MPPTs also have been similarly certified, with more models to follow.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-of-Compliance,-UL-1741-and-CSA-C22.2,-MultiPlus-12-3000-120-50-120V-&-MultiPlus-24-3000-70-50-120V.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Certificate-UL458-MultiPlus-12-24-3kVA-120V.pdf

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oliman avatar image oliman commented ·

Thank you very much for the above links.

I double checked with a local electrician, and it is indeed the LabTest certification mark that is needed in order to pass inspection here. However, it looks like only the 12V and 24V MultiPlus are covered in the in the links you provided.

Unfortunately, I need a 48V inverter for my instillation.

I'm guessing the answers to my below questions are going to be no, but just in case, I'll ask them point blank.

The certificates linked above (both) specifically lists the 12v and 24v multiPlus inverters.

Does this mean the 48v multiPlus inverters are not LabTest certified?

Does Victron have any LabTest certified 48v inverters?

Are there any Quattro inverters covered under a LabTest certification?

I was more interested in the Quattro line as it has higher capacity ratings, but could definitely make due with multiPlus if needed.

1 Like 1 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ oliman commented ·

No 48V model is certified yet indeed. Soonest will be somewhere next year. We’re aiming for earlier rather than later in the year. Though for now thats all future and nothing definitive can be said about it.

Note that this will be modifed hardware: anything you buy now will be different from the 48 V hardware that we’re working on for UL1741(SA).

1 Like 1 ·
Jesus Mazo avatar image Jesus Mazo mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) Is there any update on the Quattro 48V 120V models UL certification?

Clients in US are demanding UL certification and we are losing projects because of not meeting their requirements.

Even, the temporary power companies are demanding UL, despite the application is offgrid, such us construction sites and events and UL is actually not mandatory from a regulation point of view, it is business policy for the big companies that all equipment must be UL and we are unfortunately being pushed to use other inverters.

I can confidently say that there is a lot of business that we can all win as soon as we can get these models certified.

1 Like 1 ·
matthew-weasel avatar image matthew-weasel Jesus Mazo commented ·
Hey @mvader (Victron Energy) @Rich Shea (Victron Energy Staff) @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),

Are there any updates hat you can share in regard to the UL cert for 48v multiplus II 120v?

Thank you for your help!

1 Like 1 ·
ewbcvec avatar image ewbcvec mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks! that is very useful information.

0 Likes 0 ·
hydrogen avatar image hydrogen commented ·

@Rich Shea (Victron Energy Staff) or other Victron Staff able to clarify...

Per the two aforementioned UL Certificates Rich has shared, both do not mention specific SKU numbers of the MultiPlus units bearing the certification(s), just the product model description.

For the MultiPlus 24/3000/70-50-120V, there are two SKUs:

PMP243021102 - non certified

PMP242301102 - UL certified

Is there a difference in the actual hardware in these two SKUs, or does the second one simply bare the certification logo on the cover?

I ask because in this thread, @mvader (Victron Energy) mentioned the following regarding future certification of 48V models:

Note that this will be modifed hardware: anything you buy now will be different from the 48 V hardware that we’re working on for UL1741(SA).

Is there a difference in the MSRP (list price) between the two?

Thank you!

1 Like 1 ·
ckhorne avatar image ckhorne commented ·

Is there any update to the status of the UL 1741 certifications in the past year?

0 Likes 0 ·
halfwalker avatar image halfwalker ckhorne commented ·

Another request for updates of certification for 48V Quattros ... We have a pair of old Trace SW systems that failed, and I would really like to put in a Quatto 10k. If not it will be a pair of Schneider XW+5548 ...

0 Likes 0 ·
Gerald Grogan avatar image Gerald Grogan halfwalker commented ·

You should check again now. I think the certification is completed, although I still don't see it on the Victron website. It is however available on my local installers website https://www.thesolarbiz.com/victron-multiplus-ii-48-5000-70-50-inverter.html

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Local certifications requirements are best directed towards the local installers:

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

You can use the map, or Select USA, Washington

If they are unable to help, please try and contact the Victron Sales Managers for North America: https://www.victronenergy.com/contact#Sales_Manager_North_America

In this case Rich has already answered, but those references are useful in the future if someone else is looking for the up to date information.

1 comment
2 |3000

Gerald Grogan avatar image Gerald Grogan commented ·

You should check again. I'm now seeing this model is now available on my local Victron installer website: https://www.thesolarbiz.com/victron-multiplus-ii-48-5000-70-50-inverter.html

0 Likes 0 ·
ewbcvec avatar image
ewbcvec answered ·

Thanks @Oliman for the question and @RichS for a useful answer. I don't have another answer, but a couple of related questions. First I'd like to point out this Victron Blog post (BlueSolar MPPTs awarded UL 1741 and CSA C22.2 certification) from John Rushworth, July 24th, 2017 which says that all 120V Multi's and Quattro's are expected to be certified by "the end of the year" (2017). Obviously that didn't happen. My first questions: Why not, and is it likely to happen anytime soon now? Is the newer UL 1741-SA getting in the way here?

My second question is whether the existing UL Certified Multiplus models can be used to run ESS in a UL1741 Country (eg: the USA)? If so, will UL-1741 appear as an option when choosing a country code for these models?

And, finally is there a recommendation for an energy meter to be used for the North American standard split-phase power system? I gather that a Carlo Gavazzi EM24 model might work due to another question & answers on this forum, but I've seen no input from Victron on this question. I am interested in running a parallel system that would require a meter.

Thanks in advance for any answers that anyone here might have.

2 |3000

vincent avatar image
vincent answered ·

You can pay to have the Victron inverters certified when they will be part of a certified system under programs such as SPE-1000. I had the Quattro line from 4 years ago approved this way, and then I was able to sell them under that approval in small numbers (under 100 per year).

Intertek did this inspection for me and the cost was mid 4 digits.

The inverter they tested was put through hell, and it passed without issue.

Keep in mind this is in Canada, but it's likely you have similar programs in your area. Just call the inspection companies directly and ask about special accreditations for low volume manufacturing.

1 comment
2 |3000

Jesus Mazo avatar image Jesus Mazo commented ·

Hi @Vincent I am very interested about this certification you are mentioning above as we are trying to certify our systems in the US and Canada and seems that we can share our experiences on this together and hopefully benefit from each other. Would you mind to give me your contact details so we can have a chat?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic