question

1burmeister avatar image
1burmeister asked

Mounting MultiPlus-II 12|3000|120

Can the MultiPlus-II 12|3000|120 (steel case) be mounted in an rv sitting on it's right side? It will be secured via bolts going through the feet on the back side to a sturdy frame. Mostly concerned about mechanical issues as I will be taking the cooling concerns into account.

installationmodifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

So, mounting the unit horizontally on a vertical surface?

Totally fine, if so - the Multi-II uses a single rear-mounted toroidal transformer, so doesn't have the increased chance of mechanical failure when mounted in that orientation as the old MultiPlus did with its two side-mounted transformers.

As long as you fasten it well, and keep in mind that it will be slightly less efficient at cooling itself, and also keeping in mind that it will be slightly more susceptible to water intrusion when not mounted upright, you'll be fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sac-rv avatar image
sac-rv answered ·

I have mine on its back and they do tend to get hot under heavy loads or during bulk charging. What I did is mount a small usb powered fan facing the bottom of the inverter. It’s on 24/7 and helps keep it from over heating by blowing air over it.

2 |3000

1burmeister avatar image
1burmeister answered ·

Justin,

Thanks for the response! To make sure I was clear, he unit will be horizontally mounted on the RH side not the back.

Mark

2 |3000

1burmeister avatar image
1burmeister answered ·

Thanks, I was thinking about putting a thermostat controlled fan near the bottom vent grill and put the temp probe near the upper vent.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic