multipus Image

multipus

ESS battery level charging and inverter own consumption

Hello I'm quite new and Victron system was started only few days ago. But I'm observing few unexplained situations. Maybe you can help me.

1. Battery ignores minimal SOC (set to 10%) continues discharge until 5%, then starts charging from grid with 4kW until it reaches 10% and then continues with cca 500W to charge until 13% and then starts again discharging.

1.1. I was thinking that when it reaches minimal SOC it will go to idle and stay there until charged by solar panels, what I understand wrong?

1.2. I was thinking that when grid charging is disabled it means battery is not charged from grid, what I understand wrong?

2. If I look at VRM portal I see Grid, AC loads, Battery, PV charger, but when I calculate the sum I miss 100 to 500W, is this own consumption of Victron equipment? (you can calculate from any of the pictures, discharging 'misses' 109W, Charging1 382W, Charging2 188W)

3. UPS functionality does not work, by power outage lights stay, but clock and remote switches got reset, is there a way to fix this?

My system: 16x IBC solar 450 Wp, 3x Victron Multiplus 5000 (three phase setup), 2x Victron MPPT 250/70, 1x BYD LVS 4kWh, 1x Victron color GX

Attached pictures:

Discharging.jpgDischarging: Battery discharging even under 10%
Charging1.jpgCharging2.jpgCharging: How the battery is charged from grid
Expected.jpgExpected: This is what I expect to see when battery is less than 10%, please compare with Discharging picture

Thank you

Peter

peter79 asked
peter79 edited ·

3 Answers

Limit Multiplus current or high current alarm

I have Multiplus 3000/12/120, BMV-712, and Cerbo.

My batteries are slightly undersized given the full current capability of the Multiplus. They can produce 200A continuous and 400A for a few seconds.

One option is to simply limit AC use, and monitor the current being drawn from the batteries.

What automated options are there? Can the Multiplus be programmed to limit the current draw? Can BMV or Cerbo be programmed to alarm when current is over a set value? Any other ideas or recommendations?

cw8 asked
johanndo edited ·

2 Answers

Multiplus Ground Relay with RCD on output AC

I have a 1600VA Multiplus on a vehicle with a 20ma RCD on the AC output of my Multiplus.

With this configuration, I don't understand the point of using a ground relay when the AC input is disconnected. To explain my point of view, I hypothesize that there is a malfunction in my installation and that the phase L touches the bodywork of my vehicle.

Option 1: Ground Relay Off
During a malfunction of this type, the most problematic in this configuration without ground relay is that the bodywork of the vehicle could be connected to the AC phase of the Multiplus without causing a stoppage of the Multiplus. In this case, if a person touches the bodywork and he is inside the vehicle, he is then touching the phase but the current has no way of returning to neutral, so no problem. If a person touches the bodywork and they are outside the vehicle, then the current could pass through it and go directly to earth, thus causing an imbalance between phase and neutral and the RCD will then trip to protect the person.

Option 2: Ground Relay On
If the phase of the Multiplus connects to the bodywork, phase and neutral will be connected together causing the immediate tripping of the Multiplus with a short circuit. This option is more secure because it immediately causes a stoppage of the Multiplus.

On the other hand, there is another hypothesis where the option 2 can be a problem in my opinion. If a person touches the output phase of the Multiplus (example of an intervention on a AC power socket in the vehicle) and this person is also in contact with the bodywork of the vehicle, in this case there is a danger. Indeed, the current will pass from the phase in its body will arrive on the bodywork connected to the neutral and the RCD will not detect any imbalance. The person will then transform into an electrical charge without there being a tripping of the RCD or Multiplus.

For my opinion, the option 1, RCD and no ground relay protects in all scenarios while option 2, RCD and ground relay may cause security problems in the last scenario above.

Thanks for your help

christelle asked
christelle edited ·

2 Answers

Pylontech on 19 chipset multi with older mppts.

So my new pylontech up2500 arrived today..

Fitted them and now I'm getting GX error #48 with incompatible firmware error

My system comprises of:-

2 x multiplus 5kw 24v (19 chipset with v2.09 firmware)

5 x Ve Can mppts (150/70) firmware v2.89

Cerbo GX (Latest firmware)

Old mppts are on 250kbs ve can and pylontech batteries are on BMS can @500kbs

I have read on here that the older mppts are not supported, yet someone said that thiers were working fine on a cerbo, but would not work on my original CCGX as it only has 1 can bus.

Vrm says that DVCC is forced on (by pylontechs I assume) but I don't want to be seeing a big error message across my display all the time, I may get used to seeing it and miss an important one..

So I guess my question is... is it the mppts causing the issue, or is there a later firmware version I can run on the multis?

I did see a later version possibly.. but I only have a mk2 interface, and the firmware said it needs a mk3...

Already spent a lot of money on my system, now with new batteries and a cerbo.. really need to get to the bottom of this..

Anyone help ?

bazzo asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

2 Answers

Can I Use Multiplus and Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp simultaneously while on shore power?

Newbie. I have a Multiplus 3000/50/120 and a Blue Smart IP22 30 amp charger. Can I charge my 400ah battery bank with both simultaneously? If yes, best place to hook up Smart charger?

Thanks much!

rb-wingman asked
Alexandra commented ·

2 Answers

VE.bus voltage high and not stable causing output voltage to be unstable and trip

We have a 5kva MP setup with a 5kw fronius grid tie inverter.

We see the ve bus voltage to be very erratic during sunny hours of the day when the battery is full.

The battery voltage is stable but the VE.BUS voltage go as high as 64Vdc, causing a output voltage imbalance and the inverter trips out.

It is a 5kwh BSL battery with comms to the gx device.

What can cause this issue?dc bus.png,

[image]

[image]

martin-van-biljon asked
martin-van-biljon commented ·

0 Answers

Batteries Now Only Charge to 88%

I've had my system set up for a year now. No problems. Using CerboGX with Touch50, Smart Solar 250/100, Multiplus 48/5000 and a battery bank of 4 Pylontech US3000.

Looks like I've encountered my first hiccup. I have the touch screen display for my cerboGX, and check it every so often. Today I noticed the MPPT was not sending any more electricity to the batteries. It seemed to be treating 88% charged as if it were 100%. I confirmed this by running a pump in the house. The sun was shining outside. When the pump was on, I could read the (-) amp draw from the battery bank, and when the pump cycled off, the MPPT compensated accordingly and sent an equivalent amount back to the batteries, until it reached a full 88% charge again. Battery health on the monitor states 99%.

I certainly haven't changed any settings lately. Actually, I haven't made any modifications since the installation one year ago. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this is about a week ago, I was moving a floor fan in the room, and the back of it accidentally touched the switch on the inverter, which turned it off. I turned it back on promptly. Maybe I've been having this problem since then, but can't say, because today was the first day I payed attention to the display since then.

What do you think is causing the system to treat 88% charged as if it were 100% charged? It will not go above 88%. The six LED charging indicator lights on the front of the batteries also only show 5/6 lights illuminated.

agroventuresperu asked
agroventuresperu commented ·

4 Answers

Victron Multiplus Compact 24/1200/25 zu Cerbo GX

Hallo Leute, ich habe eine Frage an euch. Ich hab einen gebrauchten Victron Multiplus Compact 24/1200/25-16 erworben. Baujahr ist das gute Stück 2012, dieses Gerät war orginal verpackt.

Zur Frage selbst, ich möchte gerne den Multiplus ein das Victron Netzwerk einbinden und mit meinen Cerbo GX verbinden. Leider steht nirgends im Internet und in den Bedienungsanweisungen wo die Anschlüsse dafür sind und mit welchen Kabeln (RJ45, Cat.5e) die Geräte zu verbinden sind. Ich habe euch ein Foto angefügt ob dies die Anschlüsse dafür sind.

Danke im voraus für eure Hilfe.

[image]

marcel123 asked
marcel123 answered ·

2 Answers

Multiplus 3000 - Is This Really a 2400W Inverter

I'm looking to replace a 3000W modified sine wave inverter on a houseboat and I'd like to replace that old Xantrex unit with an equivalent pure sine wave unit. Looking at the spec sheet for the Multiplus 3000 (12 V) unit, it looks like true wattage output capabilities of this unit is only 2400W. Am I reading this incorrectly perhaps? Looking at some of the other inverters on the market, it seems like they all list 3000W continuous output in their spec sheets (no mention of VA ratings). Just wondering if this is a case where Victron is being more upfront about including the power factor multiplier in their wattage output spec or if the Victron unit is really just a 2400 W unit.

petej asked
crms answered ·

4 Answers

Charge batteries only

For the time being I have a generator with a «bad» sinoid curve. Until recently I only used the generator to charge my 12V batterybank. From the batterybank I had an inverter to make 230V for my offgrid cabin. I have now thrown out the separate battery charger and inverter in favor of a Multiplus 12/1600/70-16.

My question is, when I run the generator I want it to only charge the batteries and not let the «bad» power into my 230V system. Is it possible, and how do I do it?

kristoffer-ueland asked
kevgermany commented ·

3 Answers

Lithium battery on old 19 chipset multi

So I have 2 x 5kw 24v multis with the 19 chipset. Latest firmware 209 with assistants..

My lead acid batteries are coming to end of life and I want to buy new lithium batteries. Such as master battery or pylontech

I see there is an assistant for lithium... so does than mean I can install any lithium such as above or even BYD without issues with bms ?

I had been looking at 24v lithium with built in bms but choice is very limited.

bazzo asked

0 Answers

MultiPlus 12/3000/120 and SOK 206AH Batteries in Parallel. What am I missing?

Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120 and SOK Batteries in Parallel:

It has taken me a while to wrap my head around what seemed to be a serious problem with the MultiPlus and three 206 AH Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. Almost everyone who speaks about setting up charge and inverter settings for these batteries only approach the settings for a single battery. With a single battery the settings published by SOK and the video presented by Current Connected works perfectly. The single battery can be fully charged and discharged without issue.

The charge problem only becomes apparent when more than one battery is involved. My battery bank consists of three SOK units arranged with the positive lead connected to the first battery and the negative lead connected to the last. I have observed that each battery charges and discharges at a slightly different rate. Three separate batteries being controlled by their own independent battery management system is when the charge cycle becomes much more complicated. Under a 120 amp charge (40 amps per battery as recommended by SOK) the charge cycle works great until the batteries begin to reach their maximum state of charge. It is then that one of the batteries will reach full charge first and enter an overcharge state on one cell that will shut that battery off and not allow any further charge. This causes the other two batteries to experience an elevated charge rate which puts another one in an over charged state causing the voltage to fluctuate enough to temporarily shut the MultiPlus down and occasionally go into a fault condition. This generally occurs when going from bulk to absorption.

The only solution I have found to counteract this situation is to lower the charge voltage to a level that will allow the MultiPlus charging to naturally terminate without pushing any of the cells into an over charge situation. Currently my absorption voltage is set to 14.30 which seems to allow the charging to complete and move into absorption and float without pushing any of the battery cells too far. I have also lowered the charge amperage to 70 (23.33 amps per battery) to prevent pushing a single BMS and battery beyond BMS specifications for charge rate in the event two batteries are shut down by their BMS.

Since changing these voltage and amperage settings I have not had any issues charging and none of the batteries have been turned off by their respective BMS and it takes about eight hours for a full charge. I plan to periodically charge each battery independently with a bench power supply to enable the BMS to do it’s top balance task at the specified 14.4 volts.

In my opinion, there's no economical way to bring all three batteries up to full charge in a parallel system since they arrive at full state of charge at different times. The voltage has to be reduced, through trial and error, to meet the cell with the lowest resistance. There also does not appear to be a way to charge the bank at full recommended amperage since that will put the last active battery in an overcharge situation possibly damaging the BMS and battery.

I am new to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries and would appreciate input if I am missing something.

jerrylcaldwell asked
jerrylcaldwell commented ·

1 Answer

Multi rs solar - Warning#59 acin1 relay test fail

Hi everyone.

Yesterday I have turned on my solar installation, and one of the problems showed up.

When inverter is working without grid connection everything is working perfect. No problem's at all. But when I turn on grid supply the warning #59 ACIN1 relay test fault.

[image]

Sometimes it's also showing warning #43 ground fault detected.

All this problems are when inverter is connected to the grid. Without grid all working perfect.

I have traced wires checked connections 10 times, polarity is totally fine, all grounding is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

danielmar90 asked
seb71 commented ·

0 Answers

What Victron equipment do I need for my self-build home solar PV and battery solution?

Hi everyone,

We are building our own self-build house in the UK and part of it is 7.6kw solar PV array (separated into two strings). The panels are due to be installed on our roof next week and then when our house is a bit further along (and after we have received our G99 back) we will install the batteries and inverter. We have sourced the PV panels already. My electrician and his colleague who owns a solar PV renewables company who is MCS certified will be installing all of our equipment.

We are on single phase 100A mains electricity. We would like to have battery storage such as 4 or 5 Pylontech US5000 to begin with, as I know battery capacity is crucial. I was initially looking at a hybrid inverter which will do everything for us, such as a grid-tied Solis 6kw hybrid inverter with EPS backup. It apparently allows up to 100A and 5kw continuous discharge current in event of a powercut (or at night time) which I believe means we are not limited to small critical loads only during the evening or a powercut?

What we would like to do is charge our batteries over night on off-peak grid mains (so the inverter needs to have a good charge rate) and during the day charge up too directly from the solar PV. We are going to be running an ASHP (but we have solar thermal going in too so it won't be used that often). Our aim is to be able to run most of our appliances during the day and crucially also during the evening and in event of a powercut (assuming we have enough battery storage). So the inverter (and combined battery modules) needs a good discharge rate too and seamless EPS changeover. So we need a grid-tied inverter which can also work off-grid.

We don't want to be restricted to running only small essential critical loads only during the evening/event of powercut. In summary we want a solution which, in the event of a powercut (or at evening when there is no sun), is seamless changeover. I assume 5kw would suffice (from the Solis hybrid inverter). From what I can ready the Pylontech US5000 have a continuous discharge rate of 80A (although some people say it is just 50A..which is confusing, although I assume 50A would still be fine for average household loads - although our heat pump will require a 25amp breaker, the heat pump controller will require a 16amp breaker and the hot water cylinder/immersion will require a 16amp breaker, so a total of 57amps so we may struggle during the evening or event of powercut when running solely off batteries?), and if more than two modules would have a combined discharge rate of 4.8kwh (I think). So I am guessing in order to run our average household loads during evening or event of powercut we will need a good amperage and kw discharge rate (from the inverter/combined batteries).

I am assuming the Solis 6kw hybrid inverter do the job for what we need. Not sure about the Pylontech US5000 batteries due to the low amperage available. Should I be looking at higher voltage batteries instead of these?

I have also been recommended I look at Victron too, as an alternative to a hybrid Solis inverter. However I know the Victron solutions work slightly differently - ie you have a solar charger and a battery inverter and Victron don't do an "all-in-one" hybrid inverter. So ultimately I will need two inverters in total from what I understand and also two separate MPPT units to handle our two PV strings. Or are the MPPT units acting as the "solar chargers" and to go with this I need a battery inverter (such as Quattro or Multiplus II)?

I am a little confused as to what items of equipment I would need in order to fulfill our requirements (mentioned above). I know Victron might be slightly more expensive but I want to be able to look at all options because I want a solution which will be reliable for many years and I know Victron is one of the best around (plus I like tech things). I understand some of the Victron inverters (which are grid tied as well as off-grid), are not G99 certified. We need a relatively simple solution, ideally to keep cost low too, and it has to be able to handle an input of around 8kw pv and ideally be acceptable by SSE, our DNO for single phase (ie our G99 application).

Sorry for the questions. I have searched extensively on this and spoken to a few helpful people online but to be honest I am still slightly confused with what items I might need in a Victron solution to meet my requirements. Please can anyone help?

Thank you very much for any help.

Matt

matth76 asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

0 Answers

31 Posts
29 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

mysik
60 Points
Stefanie