shorepower Image

shorepower

Invert / passthrough without charging on Multiplus 12/2000?

Hello.

I have a MultiPlus 12/2000 in our RV. We have an imbalance issue with our lithium cells that causes an overvoltage condition when absorption charging. Obviously this is not an issue when inverting off the house bank, but connecting to shore power and setting the inverter "On" (in order to energize the relay that connects the MP's AC input to the AC output) also inevitably turns on the charger, eventually tripping the OV relay and shutting down the whole rig. The cell balance issue will get resolved in time, but meanwhile I would like to be able to use shore power.

I see that someone else asked about this issue here, and was told they could use an assistant to set the charge voltage to 0V. I looked in VE.Config and found the "charge current assistant". This seems to allow me to set the charge current to 0V, but also allows "disabling the charger when the charge current should be zero". Does anyone know whether to check this box; i.e., whether disabling the charger would also disconnect the passthrough relay?

Thanks!

/afb

ablock asked
andres Hs1 answered ·

2 Answers

MultiPlus II - External AC protection/surge required? (EMS -Like Progressive Industries)

Hi,

Does MultiPlus II "requires" additional AC feed (input) protection for shore?

I am thinking of additional breakers and/or EMS like Progressive Industries that protect against open/short, surge, under-voltage, etc, etc.

I see most design connecting the shore inlet directly to the MultiPlus but I see so many things that could go wrong, not to mention someone with bad intentions trying to "fry" an inverter from the outside.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mademoisellechristie asked

0 Answers

How to Prioritize Solar MPPT over Shore Power Multiplus II

I have installed a Multiplus II on my boat. I also have solar panels connected through two MPPTs, and a Smart Shunt connected to the house battery bank (5 - 12V AGM batteries). The system is connected to a Cerbo GX with a touch 50.

My question is this: Is there an easy way to prioritize solar power over shore power when the boat is connected to shore power?

I have seen many posts from a few years ago but there seems to be no clear answer. The ideal situation would be when the sun is shining the batteries remain at 100% SOC and the solar powers the boat. If the load exceeds the solar output, the Multiplus II would make up the difference using shore power.

I look forward to hearing back from the community.

Thank you,

Ralph

ralphd asked
JohnC commented ·

2 Answers

Mains to Skylla-i charger

Can the Skylla-i charger use modified mains power?

The marina’s available shore power is 110v 60Hz.

My boat is wired as 220v 50Hz.

Normally I don’t plug in to shore power if they don’t have 220v 50Hz. Here, someone has handed me a custom-made power adapter that takes the shore power and puts 110v on the line and neutral conductors. So, neutral to ground measures 120v, as does line to ground, and 220v line to neutral.

My limited understanding gives me pause to use this custom adapter because I think the Skylla-i expects zero volts across its neutral to ground conductors.

Is the custom adapter a no-no? I worry it could damage my charger (and other items on my boat).

Thanks everyone.

Randall Shearer asked

0 Answers

Green Light Always On

The green Power light is always on even when not connected to AC Power. It this proper? I see no mention of this in the manual. IP67

kotaztrafee asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

1 Answer

Disconnect grid supply based on battery SOC

Hi Folks. Im running an MP2 3kVa with a single Pylontech US3000C (I unrestand this battery is undersized but it's a slowly ever growing system). I've noticed that even with a grid set point set at 0w, and VRM shows a zero grid import, a clamp meter over the incoming supply indicates a 0.55A (230v) draw. I can only assume this is for grid synchronization purposes. Now, my load on this inverter averages pretty much just about that.

So question is, im going to seperate my loads further so that loads will never exceed max discharge current of the battery and essentially have them run off grid (ie disconnect the AC input from the inverter). But is there a way I can have the AC In disconnected from the inverter when SOC is 20% + and only have grid reconnect when battery reaches the 20% without any external components? I think this can be done by using the external relay connected to a contactor of sorts but can this not be done using an assistant?

Sam Smit asked

0 Answers

MultiPlus Trips Shore Pedestal RCD
A DIY MultiPlus (USA) 3000/120/120/50 installation on a boat by one of my very competent customers is tripping his shore power RCD.

The RCD is a 5mA trip on his 50A/250VAC split phase shore power supply. I am going to have him install a 30mA/100mSec RCD to remove that variable. Here is the procedure he has to go through when he returns to his home dock and brings shore power back aboard:
  1. Also, as I’ve mentioned before, my home power setup has a 5mA trip GFCI breaker in the subpanel feeding the dock so much more sensitive than the 30mA seen in newer marinas. So let’s say I pull up to the dock with the inverter having been on during a trip. I plug in mains power while the inverter is “inverting” and when I turn on the breaker it immediately trips. I have to turn off the inverter, then go through the following power-up sequence for things to stabilize.
  • Turn of all the boat’s breakers
  • Turn inverter off
  • Turn on Mains power to the boat
  • Turn on non-inverted line1 and 2 breakers (can also now turn on individual breakers under those line breakers such as AC units)
  • Turn on main breaker for inverted circuits but have no “sub breakers” under that main breaker on.
  • Turn on the inverter – its LED show it in INVERT mode but after a few seconds it shifts to “MAINS” and subsequently starts charging batteries.
  • I can then turn on the individual inverted breakers (refrigerator, ice maker, outlets, etc)
  • All is good.
The feedback (input) relay will not close until after the N>G relay opens so what is causing the RCD to trips during the first changeover from inverter to pass through but once he goes through the procedure above, the Multi comes on line and is rock steady?

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Charlie Johnson asked
Sarah commented ·

2 Answers

Multiple shore power types into RV with 2x Quatro in Split Phase Config

I have two Quatros configured in a split phase configuration so that I can run 240V appliances in my RV. All works well on shore power when I am plugged into 50Amp service which is also coming in as 240V split phase from the grid. At the moment all I can do is run in Invert mode, including no charging, if I don't have the 50Amp service that is 240V split phase.

My challenge is that some of the newer parks are actually providing 50Amp but from a 3 phase grid source, so basically 208V across L1 & L2.

In addition some older parks only provide 15/20/30 Amp service which is just single phase.

Can someone tell me what the best way is to get my RV to accept any type of shore power please.

Also, in researching this someone suggested I change the configuration when I set the systems up to use "L2 float" or "L2 float and return to original phase" but I can not find any documentation on exactly what that would do differently than what I currently have as "L2 fixed".

Can someone point me in the direction of the documentation from Victron that explains the differences.

Thanks in advance

ksaltman asked
ksaltman answered ·

2 Answers

BSC Charger trips shore power GFI breaker
I'm looking for some troubleshooting ideas for Jaylee, our 2004 Mainship 430.
Like many, our marina is in the process of updating the electrical system to new pedestals with ground fault breakers.
Over the years, we've had lots of issues at other marinas with the GF breakers. Two years ago, we had the boat evaluated and they found and replaced our original galvanic isolator - the older models were known to "test" the system by crossing the ground and neutral (or similar). Once replaced with a newer unit, the electricians portable test GF unit no longer tripped.
On our next trip to Block Island Boat Basin (with GF breakers), we were OK for a few hours with everything running then the boat started tripping the breakers and we could NOT keep the power on nor isolate a circuit that was causing the issue. We were able to plug into one older pedestal without a GF breaker . . .
Tonight, we went to the boat to do some basic testing to see if we could keep the boat powered. I WAS able to find something interesting. When I powered the boat with our bow thruster battery charger OFF, the breaker did NOT trip. If I turned on that charger within the first 5 seconds or so of turning on the shore power breaker, it WOULD trip the breaker. If I wait a bit more (15 - 20 seconds), I could turn on that charger without tripping. Once the power stayed on, I did turn on virtually everything including the AC.
The charger is a Victron Energy BSC IP67 24/12. It is hard wired to the breaker and the only thing on that breaker. It was replaced last year so it's pretty new. Don't think it matters, but there is a dial type power selector switch near the charger (with just an on and off).
If it turns out that I can plug in with that breaker off and turn it on a minute later, I'm OK. I am concerned that based on history, the next time at the boat, I'll find something different - like I did on Block Island.
I'm trying to figure what to look for with this unit to hopefully fix the problem - if I can. As the unit is sealed, I'm not sure there is much I can do.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Gary

gharlam asked
trevor-bird edited ·

1 Answer

Shorepower fuse blows with Victron Multiplus 1600

I have a new Victron multiplus installed in my boat. Connected to my 5 KW Diesel Generator all works perfectly. But connected to shorepower, the main shorepower fuse on the boat and on the quai is blowing. I already tried a direct cable from shorepower to the AC Input of the Victron. No change

maupiticornelius asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

Solar MPPT Float and Absorb voltage settings on shore power

On my boat I have a 12v 500ah lifepo4 battery bank, When plugged into shore power the 60a 240v AC charger is set to 13.4v float and 14.4v absorb, I also have 2 x MPPT smart solar controllers connected to 2 separate panels 415w and 140w and the controllers are also set to 13.4v float and 14.4v absorb.

When my battery is in float mode at 13.4v from being on shore power I find that when the sun is feeding panels in the morning daylight the MPPT controllers go into absorb mode raising the voltage to 14.4v for a few hours then back into float mode of 13.4v for the rest of the day.

My question is should I set both the float and absorb voltages to 13.4v on the MPPT controllers?

The AC shore power at the marina is unreliable and is often tripped so I rely on solar as a back up

yobbo asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

How can I disable battery charging on a multiplus compact?

My system is on a boat with a MultiPlus Compact 12v/1600va/70a and a digital multi control panel.

I have 4x175w Victron PV panels connected to a Victron 100/50 MPPT controller.

My understanding is that both the multiplus and the mppt are both charging the battery bank simultaneously whilst connected to shore power. Can I turn off battery charging on the multiplus so that batteries are charged only using the solar power via the mppt?

I need AC shore power whilst in the marina so can’t turn the multiplus off completely.

fruityone asked
broekhuijze commented ·

1 Answer

VRM grid lost alarm will not clear

I labelled my Quattro AC input 1 as ‘shore power’, then set up an alarm rule on my CCGX where all input labels (not available, grid, generator, shore power) were enabled.

When I disconnected my shore power, the CCGX and VRM gave me ‘grid lost’ alarms. I acknowledged the alarm on the CCGX and reconnected shore power but it took a reset to clear the CCGX, and I can’t clear it on the VRM.

I’ve tried deleting the rule and setting up a new one, re-labelling my input as ‘grid’ to see if that’ll clear it - no luck.

Any advice appreciated - would like to clear from the VRM.

bullox asked
andy-hart answered ·

17 Answers

Interconnect 2 separate off grid Victron 3phase systems 100m apart

I want to connect two existing systems together

System A:

3 x 15KVA Quattro

4 x 250/100 MPPT

2 x 30kWh Freedom Won Lithium

1 x 45KVA Generator

System B:

3 x 10KVA Quattro

2 x 250/100 MPPT

2 x 15kWh Freedom Won Lithium

1 x 30KVA Generator

These two system are 100m apart and I know they can complement each other with excess power by sharing it between each other via an AC cable acting as a 'grid'

Maybe connect output1 of system A to input1 of system B and vice versa. Then both generators to input 2 (separately per respective inverter)

hdp asked
tnt369 commented ·

2 Answers

Victron Quattro Power assist configuration problem ?

Hello guys,

I'm living on my sailboat, equipped with a Victron Quattro 12V/220V/3000W and a marine Genset. I'm actually trying to find a way to start my diving compressor, which is a 220V single phase motor 2.2kw, his starting current peak is about 45A.

My genset is a small model, and himself He's not able to provide enough to compensate the Starting peak current demand. So i connect the genset with the Quattro and in theory the genset power + the power assist should be enough to start this diving compressor. But it's not working, i first believe it's because my genset is really to small, but in fact not. See below another test i did and please if you have any suggestion don't hesitate to answer.

When i connect this diving compressor directly to the 220V/16A outlet of the harbor, the diving compressor start and run perfectly.

When i connect this 220V/16A outlet to my "AC in" of the Quattro and the diving compressor is connected to the "AC out", the diving compressor is not able to start! If I'm right, the Diving compressor should be able to start as the Harbor outlet is able to do it, and at least if a little Amps is required for the starting peak, the Quattro should be providing it and the total of this both current should allow the start of the diving compressor. But it's not doing it, I can just hear the Diving compressor motor "growling" but not more!

Do you know if there is any parameter(s)that i should adjust in the Quattro, to allow the full Shore outlet going into the AC out, or if there is a "protection timer" to adjust or something like that ?

Because actually i don't understand if the Quattro is absorbing power of the outlet shore and from that the AC out is not strong enough to start my compressor. Or if the Quattro is stopping the current by the configuration of a thermical protection, timer protection or any "protection" that limit the AC out !

Thank you very much for all the suggestions and ideas that you can offer.

Best regards.

Laurent

laurent74 asked
laurent74 answered ·

3 Answers

Followers

77 Posts
72 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

There are currently no experts identified for this topic. Can you answer questions in this topic area? Community members who provide answers that are marked as correct earn reputation and may become recognized as topic experts.