safety Image

safety

Ground Relay Safety

We use a MultiPlus Compact 12/1600/70 in our development vehicles to supply our measurement equipment with 230V AC. Now we have the question how the saftey of the Neutral-to-PE(Ground) relay is ensured.
- Does the MultiPlus test the functionality of the relais contacts?
- If yes, is there a documentation about this available?
- What is the reaction if the test fails?

Thank you for a helpful answer.

Best regards Timo

tien asked
tien commented ·

2 Answers

Firefighter disconnect switch

It seems in Ireland there's a requirement to have the DC side of a PV setup be disconnected in the event of a fire

Most of the automatic disconnects I've seen will cut the DC connection if there is a grid AC failure (from the firefighters switching the house's power off at the meter box)

This doesn't seem to work well with anti islanding since it would disable your PV in a grid failure

I'm wondering is there a way to accomplish a firefighter disconnect while still having power in a grid failure. I'm thinking perhaps a firefighter switch in the meter box which will open relays to isolate the PV, battery and Quattros would be suitable

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

cruisey1987 asked
shaneyake commented ·

2 Answers

Removed battery; what to do with wires coming from controller (MPPT 75/15)

Hello community,

Go easy on me.

I have a simple solar setup in my van: 75W solar panel -> MPPT 75/15 -> AGM house battery. I've removed the house battery from the van to plug into a charger/tender indoors (the van isn't going to see sunlight for a little while). What should I do with the wires that (ordinarily) connect the MPPT to the battery? I feel like I shouldn't just leave them dangling...

Thank you for the advice,

Gary the Van, and driver Chris

garythevan asked
Jan Neumann answered ·

2 Answers

Why do we have shorts and stray voltage while on shore power?

We are operating a sailboat with a Victron Multiplus 24v 3000Va charger/inverter onboard. We have recently been hauled out of the water for work and we now have some strange things going on. While we are on inverter power everything appears to be ok. When we plug in and switch the shore power on (3 pole switch/breaker) then we have 75vac between hot and ground, and 48vac between neutral and ground. There is 48vac between the grounded components of the boat and the dirt. This is happening regardless of if the multi-plus is active or not (when on shore power and the incoming 3-pole switch is closed). There are no shorts between hot & ground or neutral and ground on the plug side of the shore power switch. There are also no shorts between hot and ground on the boat side. This was determined by turning everything off and testing with a multimeter. This is perplexing and I am thinking that the multi-plus has failed or that there is a problem with the shore power. However the shore power tests just fine as well with no shorts and voltage only between hot and neutral, and hot and ground. Currently the chassis of the Multiplus is not tied to the ship's ground I will be working on that today, it is bonded however through the ac input line. We have an ELCI after the multi-plus which does not trip. The Multi-plus is wired directly inline from the switch for shore power, and is wired directly to the ELCI, which then goes back to the distribution busses.

Update: grounding the chassis of the multi-plus to the ship's ground has not resolved the issue.

Thank you.

animaashi asked
kevgermany answered ·

4 Answers

Arc Fault Detection Interupter planed?
Hello 
is there a plan to integrate an arc fault detection interupter in the mppts? I think that is a good security feature 
regards

Robert Riebli asked
ryanalexander commented ·

0 Answers

Why do the solar charge controllers not have GFPD?

I am trying to understand why the Victron solar charge controllers do not come with GFPD built-in since this could add considerable cost to every Victron charge controller having to add an external device for this depending on your legal requirements. To protect the 250V SmartSolar controller in the USA it appears the "safest" option is the $350 Morningstar 600V GFPD which is nearly half the cost of the controller itself. I know Midnite Solar charge controllers have this built-in so it is possible to do this without significant cost. I realize this may be tricky question to answer but am generally trying to understand the reasoning for it not being built into every charge controller if it is in fact a safety feature whether or not it is installed in a location that legally requires it.

I know other parts of the world are installing these in residential stationary settings. Are most of these locations not required to have GFPD and/or is there something considerably cheaper that is being used for that protection especially for the 250V controller?

Is Victron working on a solution to make it easier to install these in markets requiring this feature?

dbainbridge asked
dbainbridge edited ·

1 Answer

Best way to automatically shut off an ESS system with smoke or fire alarm is detected

The system is configured with two 10K Quattros 120V/240V Split phase with 4 SmartSolar Charge controllers, a Lithium Battery with a CAN-bus BMS and it also has a Lynx Ion Shunt.

I would like to have a Smoke/Fire Alarm external NO or NC relay contact ask the Venus GX to put all Victron equipment is shutdown mode (Two Quattros and four SmartSolar) and if posible ask the BMS to shutdown the battery internal relay.

Is there a way to do with when ESS is been used.

Carlo asked
Mike Stasko commented ·

1 Answer

Safety Switch on "Remote on-off"

Hi everyone,

Can we use a safety switch connected on the remote on-off bridge of a Quattro/ Multi ?

I know there's an assistant for that but it's hard to use in big three-phases system:

[image]

And it cannot be used on BMS controlled batteries:

[image]

Why not wiring it this way:

[image]

This way, all the Master remote on-off could be parallelized. Am I missing something about the electrical safety rules ?

Best regards

Danakil asked
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) commented ·

1 Answer

Battery protect with Lithium

Has anyone used a Battery protect with a non victron lithium battery? The batteries would have internal BMS with no external communication capabilities. Could a person set switch/relay from a BMV or Venus (once the virtual switch update comes out?) to control the battery protect?

polarseal asked
nebulight commented ·

2 Answers

Multiplus or Phoenix inverters -- what AC voltage appears on the DC terminals (if any)?

I'm surprised that manufacturers don't state these figures (so far as I can tell) since they are of substantial importance for electrical safety.

If I run a Phoenix or Multiplus inverter with the AC neutral and earth bonded, what AC voltage, relative to earth, appears on the DC battery terminals?

I would hope that the answer would be "none at all", and that I could safely earth one of the DC battery terminals if I needed to. However, I've experimented with a couple of inexpensive (not Victron) inverters, and they both energize the DC terminals with AC to some extent. They couple only be run with floating, not earthed, batteries.

The reason this is relevant to me is that I have a significant 12V installation for lighting, etc., that will run from the same batteries as the inverter. This is all wired to comply with standards that apply to extra-low voltage installations. If using an inverter impresses an AC voltage on the DC side of more that 25V RMS relative to earth, then it would all have to be rewired.

Thanks.

Lars.

larsthebear asked
larsthebear commented ·

2 Answers

DC isolators in larger BYD systems

Hi im designing a system with 2 parralell Quattro 15kW inverters linked to BYD pro batteries would you add DC isolators in between each of the batteries and the inverters? Doesnt seem to show them in schematics only fuses, im going to be using the lynx in, and lynx distributer so there will be individual fuses for each battery in and each inverter out. Thanks

jacko asked
JohnC answered ·

2 Answers

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

Stuart
0 Points