dc system Image

dc system

PV Charger (100/50 MPPT) discrepancy between battery charger (smartshunt) DC POWER / consumption seems to Exponentially rise with the pv power

I’ve been trying to understand why there seems to be a relationship between the higher watts pulled from the pv charger and the consumption that rises from the higher pv charger watts state. I’m losing about half of my watts to this anomaly and only getting about half the intended amount of charge, I’ve disconnected my dc system and it still shows this bizarre anomaly that when the pv charge rises so does then the dc power/ consumption I’m losing so much power?! Screenshots taken minutes apart.

[image]

aidanmowen asked
aidanmowen answered ·

1 Answer

Check my wiring diagram (12V DC only)

Hi everyone,

I'd love to get some feedback on my diagram. This is for a DC-only system in 12V.

I'd like to check remotely on the battery SOC, so it looks like the Smart Shunt + Cerbo with a router will be the best way to do that. Unless someone has a better suggestion?

I went with the Lithium Superpack to save a bit of money by not having to get an external BMS. If there are other ways to make it cheaper without losing functionality, please let me know.

I'm still figuring out the distribution box, so that part of the diagram is just a placeholder at this stage.

Cheers

[image]

san asked
shea answered ·

1 Answer

Gibt es Probleme, wenn ich die SmartSolar (mit genügend dickem Kabel) etwa 8 Meter vom MultiPlus II entfernt montiere?

Weil ich vorhandene, multiple Strings nicht verlängern kann/möchte, die alle in einem Anderen Raum ankommen, als die MultipPlus II und die Batterie montiert werden müssen.

vaiouser asked
vaiouser answered ·

3 Answers

SmartSolar 150/85 showing input voltage when nothing connected.

I have an issue with SmartSolar 150/85 showing pv voltage equal(-0.5v difference) to battery bank voltage even when no pv input is connected.

As this is a new unit purchased for testing purposes, does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

The unit can still charge correctly, but after removing input source, the pv voltage shows a higher voltage than battery bank until Remote jumper is removed. Needs to be reset otherwise it stays in Bulk mode even though no pv is connected.

It obviously has been damaged during testing, just not sure what to check for repairing.

Also finding it difficult to remove blue cover :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dc-generators asked
shingsam answered ·

3 Answers

Fuses on the DC bus

I have seen in the manual for Lynx power in that it is recommended by Victron to add fuses for the batteries, the MPPT and the Multiplus.

My DC bus has batteries attached with fuses, but I did not plan to use fuses for the MPPTs and the Multiplus 2. The Multiplus 2 has a peak power of 18000W, which yields a peak current of 375A with 48V. The Multiplus 2 has output short circuit protection and the batteries which could create higher peak current are already protected with separate fuses, therefore I believe that there is no need to have a fuse for the Multiplus 2. The MPPTs have also output short circuit protection, therefore I believe that there is also no need for extra fuses. Is it reasonable not to use fuses for the Multiplus 2 and the MPPTs?

rainer asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

DC Cut off when Battery Soc is below 25%

Hi,

i want to cut off my dc lines, when the soc of my pylontechs below 25% percent.

i want to connect a high current relais to relais 1 of my cerbo gx...

how can i do that ? Only with the generator start / stop function ? in my opinion, the menu for that is much overloaded ...

is there another chance to do that easily and maybe for relais 2 as well ?

regards

christian

stricky asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

What happens to onboard 12v accessories when I replace charger/converter with multiplus?

I'm about to replace my onboard charger/converter (12v) with a Multiplus 12/3000/120. I will be disconnecting the charger/converter and wiring the multiplus into the breaker panel 120v circuits.

Since the 12v converter will be disconnected as it's an all-in-one Parallax 7345 unit I assume I will loose the ability to operate all my motorhome 12v accessories that we connected to the DC circuit branch of the breaker panel.

Is my assumption sound? If so what have others done to get the 12v line operational? I'm thinking the 12v lights, radio, etc.

Rob Mitchell asked
Kevin Windrem commented ·

6 Answers

Wrong system voltage . How did he get here?

I have a friend that had camper van built by a "professional" I use the quotes because I don't know his actual qualifications.. My qualifications are slim but I do have a system that I put together myself with six Battle Born batteries, Three Victron solar charge controllers, Orion 12/12/30, and a BMV712.with 800 watts of solar. It;s has been running close to three years and I am pretty familiar with set up and settings.

So to my friends system,. He was having problems right after he picked up his van and asked me for some input as his builder is three hours away.. His system is a 12/300/12 MultiPlus, 150/60 Smart MPPT, and an Orion12/12/30. 600 watts of solar and ONE 300Ah battery.

First thing I spotted was several blown fuses in his DC panel. OK, what is blowing those?

Second, he was never instructed on use of the BMV712 or that there was an app for his phone. I got him started on that.

The next thing I found was that the MPPT was pumping 40 volts to the 12v battery!!!! Whoa

Clicking the Battery tab in the app showed the battery system voltage as 48v. So this is my question.

How did the controller select 48v for the system? All of mine automatically selected 12 v when first connected.

Turns out one of the blown fuses was to the $3000 refer. Fried brain, has to be replaced.. Not sure on the others as nothing was labeled.

There were no switches to shut off the solar or the Orion so I just pulled the battery cable and sent him back to his builder.

richard-cabesa asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

12v to 36v battery to battery charging

In my boat I have two outboard motors, two cranking batteries (age) and two lithium batteries. One lithium battery (12v 100ah) is used for the house loads. It is charged via an Orion TR 12v/12v 18amp from the port side cranking battery.

The other lithium battery is a 36v 100ah battery that is used to power a trolling motor. Right now I have a Stealth1 B2B charger between this battery and the starboard side cranking battery.

I'd like to replace the stealth charger with a Victron product so that everything in my boat is same manufacturer.

Can I use a 12v/24v Orion TR paralleled with a 24v/48v converter to accomplish this? Better yet, can the Orion 12v/24v be modified to output 36v?

jonathan-lafevers asked
ncrncevic answered ·

1 Answer

Looking for engineering support

Hello, I have built a three phase 60Kw system with approximately 300 panels, four wind turbines. The system is based on 6 Victron quattros. This is a three phase system with two quattros in parallel per phase. 300KwH of batteries.

The system works well, but I would like to work with a real electrical engineer (aka not me) to document the schematic, move the DC system to a busbar system, implement a couple of automations, make sure all the system safety and managment are in place and ultimately make the system such that it can be built out in a container and shipped to specific sites.

Do you have any recommendations of individuals or companies who could help me ?

pierre-samec asked

0 Answers

Quattro - inverter doesn't start with DC

Got a strange behaviour on my Quattro 8000/24 (fw:320; ve.bus: 2643430) with inverter not starting.

When AC input 1 or 2 were live, Quattro output gave 230VAC. Once the input got disconnected, the inverter did not kick in.

Measured voltage on the DC input showed correct 27VDC.

Switching Quattro off and on (with the rocker swtich) did not solve the issue - with no AC input and 27VDC active inverter was not starting.

We did have to disconnect and connect again the DC, which caused the inverter to start.

The installation is working for over 6 months now and heavily used with no issues. That is the first time I've encountered such a behaviour, which gives me a think about possible fimware bug.

Should anyone have similar experience / know where the issue may be based, please do share in order to provide better end-user experience.

lucasnowak asked
Alexandra rolled back ·

0 Answers

Consumption Miscalculation of Data in VRM

We experience miscalculated data in the historical Consumption data presented in the VRM dashboard

The system includes:

Cerbo GX (V2.62)

3 Quatro Combi-inverters in 3-Phase (V478)

Smart Shunt

The system is charged by Solar with Smart MPPT's and by an external DC Power supply of ~13KW periodically.

Obviously, when the DC input is on, the consumption calculation is reduced down to zero. In reality, the AC-Loads are almost constantly >5000W.

[image]

We assume that it's because the consumption data is read from the SmartShunt & MPPT's but the "Has DC" info is not calculated (as explained in the VRM Portal FAQ).

Question is,

1. is there a way to use the consumption data based on the Combi-Inverter AC-Loads data instead of the Shunt data?

2. Alternatively, is there a way to remove the Historical Data from the VRM dashboard as it is incorrect and confusing the users?

Thank you

power-consultant asked

0 Answers

SmartSolar vs BlueSolar charger if a third party wind controller already feeds a 48V DC bus

Is BlueSolar a better option, if a third party wind controller is on a 48V DC bus? Maybe, because SmartSolar is foreseen for synchronous operation via Bluetooth with other SmartSolar MPPT-s, it cannot tolerate the wind controller which do not communicate with SmartSolar?

aare asked

0 Answers

Power increased when added a second charge controller

I added 600W (24V) of solar panels to 1320W and added a 100|20 solar charger to my existing 150|70 and am now getting a huge increase in DC Power consumption. It is almost worse charging my battery than before adding the extra panels. If I shut the new panels off the DC Power goes back to normal (under 50W). When I turn them back on the DC Power increases to around 250W or more and seems to mimic the AC consumption. Is there a setting on the new controller that needs to be changed? I have experimented with a couple of settings but no change. I am at a lose at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.

rlp84070 asked
rlp84070 commented ·

3 Answers

Dc coupling off grid system

Is there a rule between PV size on Solar chargers and the inverter/charger?

For example, I have a system of 6 Quattro 15 KVA and 19 MPPT Rs 200 A.

abdallah-salamah asked
shaneyake answered ·

1 Answer

Orion DC DC Charger - when will it be networkable?

Hi All, I have a camper that runs solar on the roof, and via a Smart DC DC Orion 24/24 - 17 charger in my truck camper. Currently these are not networked as I am driving along which does cause them to sometimes be in different charging states.

Posts on here have asked the question but have not been updated recently - when will the Orion DC DC chargers join the Victron Networked family?

I am very keen to have all devices working on the same charging algorithm. Is there a workaround with the Victron Dongle?

Does anyone know when these will be networkable?

Cheers

Troy

trollan asked
lorin answered ·

1 Answer

DC Power + AC Load not equaling Battery Discharge rate

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some help debugging this issue. I recently connected my new victron quattro and im having an issue with DC Power read out. I havent been able to update the Quattro firmware yet (still on 413) so im hoping its just out of date. I'm pretty sure the discrepancy is the inverter losses not being taken into account by the DC power but im not 100% sure. My system comprises of a Cerbo GX, BMV-712, two MPPT smart charge controllers and the Quattro. Any Ideas what it could be? Would updating the firmware and enabling DVCC help? Anytips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

[image]

zac asked
zac edited ·

2 Answers

Differnte MPPT vs Orion

If I have a 2nd aux 12v battery in my car that I need charged with the correct characteristics (Li-ion) I can choose to pick the MPPT (12v) and connect solar OR orion (12-12) and connect it to alternator DC 12~14.4V.

If I wanted both, would I need both? What stops me from feeding alternator power to the solar in on the MPPT? Aren't these the same chargers with another name?

xychiux asked
xychiux answered ·

1 Answer

MPPT: How to interpret 'consumption' in VictronConnect

Hi,

I have two 120Wp panels connected to a MPPT 75/15, and the output connected to a Sterling ProSplit R, which splits the power over three battery groups (starter, bow propellor and general).

Looking at the Victron Connect app after a few sunny days I see that I generate around 1400Wh, sounds about right. The consumption (sorry the screenshot is in Dutch) is only 30-60Wh.

Does that mean I am not actually user the power generated? The bars are fully white, indicating Bulk Charge, which I would expect as the batteries are constantly getting usage from a fridge.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

[image]

markkey asked
seb71 answered ·

1 Answer

DC\DC Charger wire size recommendations

Please could I have a bit of advise on the correct mm2 wire to use in the below.

I am installing a 30amp DC to DC charger in my trailer, the distance between the car battery (source) and charger is about 7m and the distance between the charger and the auxiliary battery is about 3m.

What size cable should I use for the 7m run?

What size cable should I use for the 3m run?

thanks

jaaks asked
randy-putnam answered ·

1 Answer

DC Loads Increase - with high Multiplus charge rate

Hi All

I wonder if anyone can explain a strange issue I am seeing on my system...

Set up - 3x Lithium (3x 200A), VE.Bus BMS, Venus GX, BMV712 and Multiplus (EasyPlus 12/1600/70 - set to 70A charge current max).

Example of situation / what I am seeing -

• I leave the boat for a few days
  • with a constant load of about 1.5A on batteries
  • I arrive back at boat - and BMV says state of charge is 90%
  • all good so far

I plug shore power in - and switch Multi on - and do NOT switch on anything else -

• it goes straight to Bulk - good.
  • If I look in Venus at the Multiplus - it says it is generating 70A - good.
  • I look at the BMV - and it says it has about 60A going in to batteries - strange
  • I expect the current going in to batteries to be about 68.5A (charge current - loads)
  • where are the other 10A going / being lost ?
  • I look on VRM and see DC Power showing my DC loads are pulling about 10A
  • but this is not true - the loads / devices are only about 1.5A
  • I have not switched any other loads on

This false high DC loads figure (about 10A) stays while charging Amp are high (in bulk). When multi goes to absorption - the false high DC loads (10A) reduces in line with the drop of charging Amps. I watch the 10A loads reading slowly drop to 1.5A as the multi reduces its charge current from 70A to almost nothing. Then - in float - the DC loads read accurately - 1.5A.

Any thoughts on what the issue is ?

Thanks

Tim

miya asked
miya commented ·

4 Answers

Wrong DC Power Display on OCTO GX

Hi, i see since last week that the calculation on the Octo GX are wrong.

the show me on the Batterie -27 Watt, but in the summary consumation 70 Watt.

Multiplus are off, Solar Charger are off.

Any Idea, what happens with the wrong calculation?

[image]

psp-maxi asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

DC Power shows incorrect consumption on unloaded phoenix inverter

After some time wondering why my "DC Power Consumption" some times report incorrect values in the dashboard i started trying to figure out why.

System components:
* Phoenix Inverter 12V 800VA 230V
* Smartshunt 500A
* EPEver PC charge controller (reporting to venus)
* Pi3 with Venus os
* 100Ah 12v Lifepo4 battery

While running on battery and no or a small load on the inverter, the "DC Power" reports a power consumption of approx. 23w or 46w more than that the actual power used displayed on the battery shunt on the Venus and in VRM.

Display when inverter is loaded with approx 12w(bulb) + 6w of inverter idle consumption:

[image]

(The shunt reports correct all the time, checked with a clamp meter)

I've seen the difference between shunt and dc power to been up to 46w when the inverter is completely idle(ON but nothing connected on AC side)

After some peeking into `dbus-spy` i think i've found the issue, and it seams to be that the inverter reports between 0 and -0.2A load on `AC/Out/L1/I` when idling, reporting -0,1A on 230v will report to -23w of usage and shown as 42w( -1*(-19+-23) ) extra ont the "DC Power" block in the UI. This is also the reason why the issue disappears when the inverter is loaded, as this negative reading then will be gone.

As for now it looks like the current reading on my inverter could be out of sync inside the device, or that it just displays incorrect values when idling... Is there a way to get this reading "in-sync" again (a form of calibration?) or something else that could be done to make my reading more exact? eg. ignore current readings bellow zero from the inverter ? as the inverter have no way of generating back power there should never be a negative value reported on the AC side.

Anyone have an advice for this issue?

runar-borge asked
crownroyal answered ·

1 Answer

Will the Fuse LEDs on Lynx Distributor illuminate without the 4-pin cable supplied with unit?

Trying to use the Lynx Distributor (and Power In) without the Lynx Ion Shunt or BMS (using BYD batteries). I had assumed the Fuse LEDs would illuminate with a working fuse in place and powered, however a line on the old Victron Live page for DC Distribution Systems suggests that this small data cable is used to power the LEDs (rather than taking power from the busbar itself). I cannot get the LEDs to illuminate - are the LEDs useless unless using the Lynx Shunt? Because Lynx Shunt uses CANbus, it cannot be used in conjunction with BYD on a CCGX (though I think VGX would support it).

midsummerenergy asked
sarahb commented ·

5 Answers

System CC doesn't appear on the main screen

Hello victron community members, I have installed the last release candidate firmware, I select CC system, but it is not shown on the main screen, did I something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

[image]

[image]

[image]

palom170 asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

Why isn't my DC power direct ?

Hello,

I have a Quattro 10 000 connected to a Cerbo GX. My quattro is in manual mode, so i can decide if it is charging or discharging my battery. When i ask to charge 1000W, the input AC power follows the request but my DC power don't really follow it...

I don't understand why my DC power si so different from my AC power... Is it the result of the instability of the grid ? Because i'm conneced on a singlephase '' micro-grid '' which is generated by another inverter...

[image]

laurine-ferrando asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

Cerbo GX Current Consumption

Hi, I am looking for current consumption of Cerbo GX @ 12VDC. For comparison, the Venus GX is listed at 210mA at 12VDC in the manual. Cerbo does not list any power consumption in the manual.

I would like to install on a boat mainly to link my MPPT via Wifi to the VRM website, but am concerned that the current consumption will drain batteries too much. I will be using 2x 50W panels, but would like them to primarily charge the batteries.

pyro asked
trulsla answered ·

6 Answers

Lynx Distributor Terminal Sizes

I can't find any specs on the Lynx Distributor terminal size. Can anyone help?

nate-costello asked
joao-lima commented ·

1 Answer

BMS12/200 in old vehicle do I need a DC-DC charger for the starter battery?

I`m building a Camper van on the basis of an 1991 4x4 Van.

90Ah LiFePo Battery

180Wp Solar

30A Alternator

BMS12/200

No land power connection (fully autark setup with very low power consuption)

Is the set up as shown in the picture correct?

Is the power from the solar charger suited to charge the starter battery or do I need a DC-DC charger?

The BMS12/200 fully protects the LiFePo Battery from any harm as well as the starter battery from discharge, is that correct?

many thanks for your expertice!!

[image]

steve77 asked
steve77 edited ·

0 Answers

AC COUPLING TO DC COUPLING SYSTEM DESIGN

Am planning to install a 10kva system ac and dc coupled system the system which was designed by the installer had PV passing through two mppt 150/100 to battery bank. Quattro inverter CCGX

My question comes the installer advised that one can add an additional fronius inverter to the system after the designed has already factored the 1:1 rule as long as it’s rated smaller than the overall inverter charger. Meaning that there are two fronius e.g 10kva and 5kva on a quattro 10kva bus

hussein-khamis asked
alan edited ·

1 Answer

Followers

90 Posts
86 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Stuart
9 Points
Deutch
0 Points