question

luismsfern avatar image
luismsfern asked

Testing Orion DC-DC Charger

I am attempting to test a Non-Isolated 12V Orion DC-DC Charger before setting it up in the back of my car for a campervan setup. I am wondering if I can connect the input of the Orion to a DC charger that connects to a 120V wall plug directly, instead of connecting it to my alternator or an external battery. I've used the wall plug DC charger to charge the battery LiFePo4 I am planning to install. Thanks!

orion dc-dcdc systemac charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@luismsfern

No.

It is a DC to DC charger - wall plug is AC. And input of the AC voltage is out of range anyway. (Answer based on the statement can i plug it into AC)

You mention a charger? Can it supply the amps of the Orion, remember there is no current limiting it may trip. Can't be more specific without knowing what you have exactly.

I don't know exactly what model you have so can't link the datasheet, but the 12v ones are usually 7-17v DC input.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Probably be safer to go battery to battery with the DC charger and the mains charger on the supply battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It will only work if the wall plug charger can supply enough current to the Orion, as @Alexandra said, without tripping.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic