NMEA 2000 - N2K Image

NMEA 2000 - N2K

Connect CCGX to SeeLevel N2K tank monitor interface

I apologize if I missed something already posted, but I’m trying to connect an N2K SeeLevel Tank monitor to a CCGX.

I am a bit confused as to what I physically need to facilitate this connection.

I have no other N2K “network” or system in place, and only have the CCGX and the SeeLevel (N2K enabled) controller head.

Is there a cable I can buy (or pinouts for a cable I can make myself) to connect these devices directly to each other?

There was a reference made by @mvader (Victron Energy)

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/6170/rv-c-can-bus-tank-monitors.html

as follows:

For clarity, the “Victron N2K adapter to which @ben refers is just a plug converter goes from micro-c n2k style to RJ-45 Victron VE.Can style.

No electrical components or software in there.

which makes me wonder if I can connect them directly??

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

geomz asked
lothmer commented ·

3 Answers

CanBus Tank disappears when NMEA-N2k integrated chart plotter turned off

Hi, we have recently integrated our B&G system with a CerboGX using the NMEA integration cable. We had two existing freshwater tank monitors on CanBus that worked as expected for about 2 years. They have VRM instances 1 and 2 with no notifications. When we integrated a few of the electrical KPIs to the helm chart plotter a weird byproduct arose. The tank sensors are only visible when the chart plotter is powered up. We do not display tank information on the plotter just Volts, Amps, SOC. The speed of the vessel in kts we show on the cerbo touch50 it disappears as well but I guess that is to be expected given its sender is off. Turning on the second chartplotter that does not have this data integrated had no effect. The NMEA-N2K network is always powered on from each of the 2 trunks having their own 12v inputs and generally the boat is always on unless undergoing electrical maintenance. We have updated all components on the network (except the tank sensors, cannot figure that out and they are not Victron) to the latest firmware. TIA for any insight on this.

whitfield-athey asked

0 Answers

CerboGX NMEA 2000 integration and older Raymarine hardware

I am on a Lagoon 2013 catamaran and was wondering if anybody has configured NMEA2000 integration between a Cerbo GX and an older Raymarine system running Lighthouse II (ie., no Glassbridge software)? If so was it worth the cost and effort? #LighthouseII

Closed

Sarah asked
Sarah edited ·

1 Answer

Cerbo GX NMEA 2000 Device Config - In & Out

I hooked up the VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable between my Cerbo and my boat's bridged N2K-STNG network - and cross-over devices immediately appeared on both systems - but I'm having trouble configuring them on the Victron side.

I'll start with the incoming (to Victron) tank devices - they immediately showed up on VRM:

[image]

And when I look in Devices on the Cerbo, they are there - but I am unable to change the parameters. Fuel (2) above is actually Water - when I try to change the type in the Cerbo UX it doesn't take the change and immediately goes back to the device configuration screen. I am able to change the capacity type to gallons and that persists, but if I try to change the capacity (in this case to 60 gallons) and hit the checkmark...it does NOT persist. I also looked at possibly changing the device IDs of the Cerbo pre-defined tanks but they are read only. This isn't the end of the world but it's bugging me and I'd like to get the configurations correct. How can I change the configuration?

On the Victron N2K outbound...I cannot find a way to get the Devices that the documentation shows. Section 11.3 starts with a UI shot and zero context about how that screen was accessed:

[image]

My screen (whether I use the Lynx or CAN-Bus profile) is different - it doesn't have "Devices"

[image]

The Cerbo manual points to this blog post, which has the same screen as I have:

[image]

....and says "In the coming days we’ll be updating the Marine NMEA 2000 and MFD integration documentation; taking out the now deprecated interfaces as well as adding the earlier released MFD App Integration."

So...reading this now at home...I'm thinking that my UX is "correct" and the Cerbo manual did NOT get updated with the current UX. And that the "Devices" isn't to configure just the devices on that interface, but is a redirection to the Devices submenu on Setup.

My Victron devices are showing up on my Raymarine network - the Cerbo looks reasonable:

[image]

But the MultiPlus and the SmartShunt need configuring:

[image]

I'll try to get to my boat today to verify, but has anyone been able to configure Victron-based N2K devices successfully?

centerisl asked
Trevor Bird commented ·

10 Answers

Remote SOC display?

On a ship, I run a BMV-702 for monitoring state-of-charge, and a CCGX for data logging. Both of these are co-located with the battery bank. Is there no (simple) means to gain access to the state-of-charge information for a remote display of some type? By simple, I mean something like a serial output.

I have found the details surrounding the the CCGX to N2K cable, MFD solution, and references to an earlier cable which connected a BMV to N2K. However, I then need to run an N2K (CanBus) network between the two locations, and a CanBus transceiver at the remote end (and deal with the more complicated protocol). That is all doable, I was just hoping for something simpler...

Thanks,

Allan.

[image]

Allan Yates asked
Allan Yates answered ·

3 Answers

HELP! Seelevel II to cerbo gx Resistor needed?

I recently installed the SeeLevel II n2k system and am now connecting the Cerbo GX and Touch 50. One question I have is do I really need to use the 120 ohm resistor I just read about on here? Used the 3m connector everyone recommends and a ethernet cable to the VE.Can port. Seem to have tanks working on there. Didnt use the Rj45 termination plug either. Is that necessary?

Lastly I do not have the tank levels showing up on the main screen on the touch 50. I can access but only thru menu options and not always displayed on the main screen.

Thanks

jbeck86 asked
jbeck86 edited ·

1 Answer

What is the difference between VE.Can, CAN-bus ports and BMS-Can port?

RESEARCH

1. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

2. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/118934/bms-can-ports-running-the-vecan-nmea2000-protocol.html

3. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/77903/250-kbitss-battery-on-multiplus-ii-gx.html?childToView=118964#answer-118964

4. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/53457/can-i-connect-more-than-one-bms-to-the-venus-gx.html

From

[1].(15) - BMS-Can port is a port dedicated to be used for connecting managed batteries

[1].Second CAN-bus port (also features BMS-Can (18)) 1.(18) The secondary CAN port,

available on some GX devices as per table above, can be configured

to be used as a BMS-Can port, as well as other profiles

Thus it is suggested that the "BMS-Can" is a "Feature" added to the construct of CAN-bus port. However 1.(14) states "The hardware does not meet the requirements for a VE.Can port; and therefore is BMS-Can only. "

While[4] states "The BMS-Can protocol doesn't use addressing". (I believe protocol should be port).

Furthermore it is inferred the BMS-Can port and CAN-bus port are really running the VE.Can / NMEA2000 Protocol but ignoring the addressing priority built into the protocol (maybe through some hardware omission in hardware or protocol stack).

Question 1. Thus, what is the difference between VE.CAN port, CAN-bus port and BMS-Can port?

Question 2. Some GX devices (Venus GX and Octo GX) have secondary ( non-isolated) CAN-port with active BMS-bus feature. [1.(18)]. Does then mean a second battery can be monitored and managed by the Venus or Octo with the active second port? If so, can the batteries have separate Shuts or system voltages?

Marty asked
nebulight answered ·

3 Answers

Cerbo - NMEA - Raymarine MDF

I have several Raymarine Axiom+ MDF screens in my boat. The Cerbo is connected via Ethernet and NMEA to the system. There is a problem with the NMEA 2k network when the Cerbo is connected. If I try recording NMEA messages via the MDF, the MDF crashes after approximately 1 minute. The same happens if the engine gateway is sending data. (Powered up). All the other devices on the NMEA network does not cause this behaviour, meaning that if the Cerbo and/or engine gateway is off, the system is stable and MDF does not crash during NMEA messages logging/recording.

Raymarine thinks this has something to do with the Cerbo. The Cerbo is running firmware 2.9 large.

Any advice is much appreciated.

slapperia asked

0 Answers

To terminate or not to terminate? VE.can 2 N2K interface on Cerbo

Hi,

All Cerbo (and canbus) description tells to terminate the VE.Can bus on Cerbo (should the Cerbo be at one end). However some descriptions regarding N2K tells the opposite.

I have an NMEA2000 interface connected on one side to my boat’s NMEA network, the other side is plugged into the Cerbo GX VE.can port, but the other VE.can port on Cerbo is empty, no termination. I have some inaccurate readings (i.e. tank level not seen for days), and wonders if it can be the reason?

So: Do I need to plug in a termination to the empty Cerbo VE.can port, or not?

Thx,

Tibor

Tibor Johancsik asked
bathnm edited ·

6 Answers

phoenix smart IP43 charger

Hi,

Does the phoenix smart charger forward the data to NMEA 2000?

I can see it in the Cerbo which displaying all info(via VE direct), but not in the NMEA network.

edwin-earthcruiser asked
edwin-earthcruiser edited ·

0 Answers

Cerbo GX output N2k from temp senders?

I just added on a couple temp senders to the Cerbo unit and have it reporting on VRM. I have other data from the Cerbo reporting on my NMEA 2000 network such as inverter power, battery voltages and such. I have not been able to see the temp sensors on my N2k network. In the cerbo device menu the temp sensor shows it has an instance number assigned of 25 but from my maretron screen there is no temp data available other than known other devices. Any one else been able to get this to work?

ur12vman asked
northern-comfort commented ·

2 Answers

Two different Lynx Shunt, one bus, one Cerbo

I have two different battery banks and two Lynx Shunt.

Both are visible with the Cerbo GX with ID 0 and 1, and also seen in VRM

But for the moment only one bank/shunt can be monitored.

How to get the two Lynx Shunt be monitored ?

I also have a VE.Can/NMEA cable and it is unusable. Data from both shunts are seen under Battery Bank 0 by different NMEA displays, instead of Battery Bank 0 and Battery Bank 1.

Any help will be welcome.

stephane-silvestre asked
stephane-silvestre commented ·

1 Answer

Can I add victron datafields to my Simrad/Navico plotter?

Can I add datafields from Victron GX to the infobar on right side? I would like to have voltage value and solar PV charger value. Other NMEA2000 equipment can be implemented in the sidebars.

[image]

trulsla asked
jihouni commented ·

7 Answers

VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable bad?

I just bought a new VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable as I didn't have one on my current boat. I wanted it so I could leverage the CCGX 2.40 feature of sending data out on my NMEA 2000 network.

I've spent the last 45 minutes troubleshooting and can't get it to work. I've installed these several times before, and have a very documented and extensive NMEA 2000 network. I've tried both VE.Can ports on the CCGX, rebooting, power cycling, upgrading to v2.40 via SD card from the beta, moving the VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable to four different NMEA 2000 ports on my network, and have validated everything else on the network is working correctly.

Either this brand new cable or my CCGX are faulty, or there is another setting I am missing. At the minimum, even without v2.40, the CCGX should be showing tank levels (I have multiple Maretron TLAs for tanks) as it has in the past, but I see nothing.

I've turned on the new CAN-Bus feature including Send Data to VE.Can, but something more basic is not working.

I also have Actisense and Maretron software and can see the devices on the network, and Victron has never shown up in any of the testing.

Is there a pin out diagram for the cable so I can test it, or another way to test the VE.Can ports?

Steve Mitchell asked
andyalford commented ·

3 Answers

Color Control GX NMEA out via WI-FI?

Hi

Have the Victron Color Control GX and it’s working perfectly in standalone mode with Quattro, MPPTs, etc. Firmware version v2.87.

I have connected the GX to the onboard WI-FI network and it is visible and has an IP address assigned by my router.

I have a Windows machine running Signal K server on the WI-FI network and I would like to input NMEA data from the GX into the Signal K server. However, I’m not able to see any NMEA output from the GX IP address on ports 1883 or 8883. I have tried TCP and UDP.

The Signal K server is able to receive NMEA data from B&G MFD and YD WI-FI gateway which are also connected via WI-FI

I have also tried using the NMEARemote app (iOS) to connect to the GX and also have no NMEA data being received. NMEARemote is able to receive B&G and YD NMEA data

Is it possible to receive GX NMEA data via WI-FI? If so, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

sea-change-2 asked
Stefanie commented ·

2 Answers

Followers

110 Posts
91 Users
3 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
433 Points