question

Luke Parry avatar image
Luke Parry asked

Oceanic System - 3271 Volumetric Tank Sender NMEA not recgonised on the Colour GX

I have a Colour GX connected to NMEA system alongside an Empirbus on a Narrowboat and the water tank level was successfully shown on the colour display using the NMEA CAN adaptor. The water tank sender I believe is the Oceanic System/offshore dynamcis 3281 (Volumetric Tank Sender). This has been working successfully for 4 years and I noticed with recent update this has stopped appearing coinciding with a rewiring job.

I have checked on the Empirbus logs and the tank level sender is transmitting with the FluidLevel PGN and tank sender id. However, the source address is now 255, which seems strange.

Given that there is more NMEA integration with the ColourGX, I am wondering if this has had an impact.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many Thanks,

Luke

CCGX Color Controltank monitorNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Luke Parry avatar image
Luke Parry answered ·

After downgrading firmware of the color ccgx, from 2.7 to 2.2, I can confirm that the water sender works correctly. Did a chance in 2.3 introduce a change in behavior?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pumpkinteapot avatar image
pumpkinteapot answered ·

Where there any updates regarding this? I am.still observe the issue with the latest CCGX firmware. Is there any way to dump the NMEA/CANBUS messages to identify issues?

4 comments
2 |3000

@pumpkinteapot According to the NMEA 2000 certification, the 3271 model has device class 80 and function 190 and sends out PGN 127505. This meets the criteria to be picked up by the GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
pumpkinteapot avatar image pumpkinteapot Martin (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Martin,

The issue is that following the firmware update, the sensor is not acknowledge. I am currently on version 2.2 which is over 3-4 years old, which is not ideal. Oceanic Systems Ltd do not seem to have an idea what could be an issue because the device is a standard NMEA2000 certified device.

What I am trying to understand is how the NMEA codes are being interpreted - the only thing I have found so far is the following 'dbus command':

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/marine-mfd-integration-by-nmea-2000.html

0 Likes 0 ·
Martin (Victron Energy) avatar image Martin (Victron Energy) ♦♦ pumpkinteapot commented ·

Third party tank sender support instructions can be found here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/connecting-supported-non-victron-products.html#UUID-9f759229-3e91-5a02-891c-2206c9625753

Both the OSUKL 3271 and 3281 are listed as tested and supported. Does your tank sender have the latest firmware version?

0 Likes 0 ·
pumpkinteapot avatar image pumpkinteapot Martin (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Martin, thank you for following up.

The hardware version/firmware for the OS 3281 sender I have is H\4.13 with no additional firmware updates applied after purchase.

OSUKL haven't indicated that there is a more recent firmware update in previous communication. Would you have any internal information records to confirm which sender may have been previously tested?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources