BMS Image

BMS

Orion-Tr Smart, VE.Direct and integration with GX devices?

Hey there, as I commented on the blog post,

"I'm curious if future versions will have VE.Direct or some sort of integration like that with GX devices? Currently, it seems that the MPPT and MultiPlus are able to coordinate their total charge rate with external BMS via the GX devices. But it seems that the Orion-Tr does not participate in this?"

I'm wondering if there's a way to integrate the Orion-Tr Smart chargers with the CCGX. In particular, as far as I understand, GX devices can coordinate with external BMS via CANBus to determine the charging parameters of a battery. It seems that the Victron MPPT and Victron MultiPlus can respect these limits via VE.Direct and VE.Bus respectively, which is great and a big reason why I bought this BMS and the suite of Victron product.

Now I'm considering purchasing Orion-Tr Smart chargers, however I noticed that they don't have any VE.Direct connectivity, or any other VE connectivity aside from the Bluetooth one. Is something like VE.Direct, VE.Bus or VE.Can planned? Will Orion-Tr Smart chargers integrate with GX devices?

aybabtme asked
minmin commented ·

19 Answers

BMS-712 reverse polarity or Zero

Re-wiring the mess the builder left in my van. (Took the entire Victron system out and re-installed)

Everything works now, except for the current/watts polarity.

When the negative wires are in what I think is the proper shunt configuration I get 100% battery and inverted polarity on Watts, but when I reverse the negative wires I get 100% battery and zeros on everything below. From everything I have read reversing the wires should work.

Set-up

Bms-712

Multiplus 12v

Dc-dc 30

Mppt 100/50

4 100 Amph batteries

sebastiane asked
sebastiane answered ·

2 Answers

Smart BMS CL 12V 100A with third party battery ?

My Renogy DC-DC battery charger (from alternator) has blown and I would like to replace it with Victron VE compatible devices. As best I can tell the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A would be a good choice but the manual states it is specifically designed for Victron BMS.

I have a Victron SmartShunt and Battery Monitor on the VE.bus to monitor battery performance.

Can I use the Victron Smart BMS with a non-Victron battery ?

gregferro asked
Stefanie commented ·

2 Answers

Connection from VE.Bus BMS Load Disconnect to SmartSolar MPPT 150/100

I have found conflicting answers for which connection to use for stopping the charge upon the BMS triggering Load Disconnect. Is it H or is it L? Please note, it is the SmartSolar MPPT 150/100.

sjbridges asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

LiTech Power LiFePo4

Dear All,

Currently I am busy with setting up an Victron ESS system based on a multiplus II and Cerbo CX module. I want to add to this system a third party battery set. Does anyone has experience with the Litech power LiFePo4 48V 100Ah Powerwall Energy Storage system (LPPW48V100AH16S1PF001) (www.litechpower.com) ??

see also the following link: LiTech Power LiFePo4 48V PowerWall Energy Storage System - LiTech Power Co.,Ltd

I was wondering if someone has experience with these battery's or maybe already is using these? Particularly if the communication between the Litech BMS with the victron system is functioning fine.

I want to connect three of these 48V/100Ah in parallel.

Many thanks in advance for replying,

Dirk

d-angles asked
noori-henry answered ·

1 Answer

VICTRON BLUE

TRIVIA ...tried to find an answer but have not been able:

Why are the BMS and Cyrix the only products in the Victron line up NOT featured in the VICTRON BLUE?

Michael Ziegler asked
Michael Ziegler commented ·

1 Answer

CAN Values sent from EMUS G1 to Victron - 2022

@Bricki

writes in one Comment

on the Cerbo GX and Touch 50 you can see
- Voltage, current, state of charge and state of health, battery temperature
- desired charging voltage and charging current and max discharging current
the last three values are interpreted as DVCC values which the Cerbo gives to a connected VE.Bus charger like the Multi series. 
Furthermore you can see every alarm message.

Im allready using a EMUS G1, but sadly an old an incompatible (to Victron.img Firmware) Hardware Version from 2018.

So i cannot test the CAN Bus Connection to Victron by myself without buying a new G1 Unit.

For my growing second Life Battery Packs i need/want to log and see the

• lowest/highest individual Cell Voltage and Temperature
  • ideally the actual individual Cell voltages
  • and the data stated by @bricki in 2021

Could someone please send some screenshot from the actual sent data between EMUS G1 and Victron. ideally also the visualisation in VRM.

(Im asking about that cause im kind of thinking about switching to RECBMS cause in this article and also in their Manuals i can see that all neded Data is sent via CAN https://www.offgridsoftwaresolutions.com/ws500-user-forum/topic/connecting-my-rec-bms-to-a-victron-cerbo/#postid-529)

but that would mean kind of an rebuild of my batterie packs an in genernal im really happy with the EMUS

I contacted the EMUS Support several time, they are fast and helping, but cannot support me in my question, just telling me "CANBUS between EMUS and Victron is supported"

So its a question of REAL-LIFE-EXPERIENCE and sadly not readable in manuals

how did those people experiences turned out who asked those question in past.

@Emmanuel Allaud @Asbjoern85 @arghhh40k @Kai Behrends @Jokani

thanks in advance

NotGernot

notger asked
notger edited ·

0 Answers

Balmar and LI

Im starting a major up fit to my Jeanneau 440 electrical system. I'm replaceng the 4 type 31 lead acid 215ah with 4 Dakota Lithium 280ah type 31 size that will fit in the same real estate. I am also upgrading my alternator to a Balmar XT.

The batteries have internal BMS and I am still running lead acid starter batteries for my engine and generator so do I want a smart BMS or should I use a battery isolator to charge the starter batteries.

dav8or asked
dc4me commented ·

4 Answers

Connecting multiple MPPT controllers to Smart BMS 12/200

I am looking to connect two Victron Smart MPPT controllers to a Smart BMS 12/200. The Smart BMS 12/200 only has one port for the VE Direct Remote On/off wire. Is it ok to just splice another wire to the same port?

arona asked
klim8skeptic edited ·

1 Answer

MultiPlus-II GX with Daly BMS and CAN-Bus connection

Hello, I would like to build an 16S 48V LiFePO4 battery pack with 280Ah EVE cells and 200A Daly BMS with CAN-Port. As inverter I decided for an MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 GX. I asked the Daly support if the BMS will communicate with the Victron MultiPlus-II GX and they confirmed. In an other thread sombode wrote that the Daly BMS will not communicte by CAN-Bus with the Victron Multiplus II GX. Does anybody has experience with the Daly BMS and if it works by CAN-Connetion out of the box with the Victron devices?

gero asked
luphi answered ·

7 Answers

Transient current cause Seplos BMS to shutdown

Hi Victron community, I have one question regarding a couple Victron / DIY LFP pack with Seplos BMS.

If it is just to say that Seplos is not in Victron's compatibility list for BMS, you can save your time and are not forced to participate to this thread ;)

I use this BMS (I have 4 of them) and it is working fine, but, as there is a "but", a big one, I discovered that using only 1 battery pack (14kWh / 200A BMS) with a 5kVA Multiplus 2 doen't allow it to start as the transient current is too high for the BMS (fixed values in the BMS are 250A for 30mS, not changeable if you don't want to damage your hardware and loose the warranty).

Is there a known solution to limit the starting current on the Victron side?

Else anyone intending using those BMS in a Victron environement must pay attention to this "detail" and better find another model if they don't intend to have 2 or more battery pack.

jeanmarie asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

0 Answers

Solar charger before or after bms?

Hi!

I'm just building a system with the following devices:

LiIon 200ah/25,6v smart, lynx bms, cerbo gx, smartsolar 150/35, quattro 5000...

I'll be using the bms relay as a remote main switch, does it make sense to connect the solar charger before bms (using a Cyrix LiCharge for safety) to keep the battery charged while the boat is not in use?

Will the ATC contact be positive even if the remote port on lynx bms is open?

Thx for your help!

alfred0905 asked
Stefanie answered ·

4 Answers

What is the recommended voltage limit on the BMS

The new BMS 12-200 manual says:

1. Battery charge limit:

Set the Battery charge limit (range: 13.0V..15.3V) to a value at which charging should be deactivated. Normally this value should be 14.2V for a Victron Lithium Battery Smart. As soon as this value is reached, the battery charge is stopped by deactivating the alternator/starter battery+ input. The input will turn on again when the battery voltage is 0.5V below the battery charge limit for 10 (consecutive) seconds.

At the same time the Lithium battery manual says:

The charge voltage may vary anywhere from 14V to 15V for a 12.8V lithium battery

We recommend 14.2V (28.4V) as the absorption voltage, but if you want to change it, we advise keeping it between 14.0V (28V) and 14.4V 28.8V)

This is puzzling... Battery want to be charged between 14 V and 15V, but absorption 14.2. BMS will shut off charging at recommended voltage of 14.2.

Something doesn't add up here...

So what is the voltage that we should put in the Smart 12- 200 BMS so that the battery is completely charged using either a 14-15 V or a fixed 14.2 absorption ? Certainly not 14.2 ??

northcaptain asked
Stefanie commented ·

2 Answers

Difference between VE.Can BMS-Can

Please explain what is the difference?

Dilip Kumar TD asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) commented ·

3 Answers

832 Posts
553 Users
7 Followers

Topic Experts