question

mattestlea avatar image
mattestlea asked

VE Bus BMS Charge Disconnect (Bluesolar 150/35 MPPT & Orion TR Smart 12/12 30A)

Hi all,

Just after some sanity checking here as I'm a complete newbie to the world of Victron.

I'm running 2 x 200ah Victron LiFePo4 Batteries controlled by a VE Bus BMS.

So far I have linked the BMS to my Multiplus II via an RJ45 cable. As it is a Multiplus II, I have not needed to use the mains detector, as described in the manual.

Additionally, I have linked the load disconnect on the BMS to the H pin on a Smart Battery Protect running between my Lynx and 12v fuseboard. This Smart Battery protect is grounded to an earth busbar via the GND pin.

How am I doing so far? The batteries are now protected from high loads on the 12v side via the SBP, and 240v loads via the RJ45 cable connecting the BMS to the inverter.

The charge disconnect is where it gets tricky. Because I want to be able to shut off power from my MPPT and Orion to protect my Lithium Batteries.

The MPPT (Bluesolar 150/35)
I've been made aware of a VE Direct non inverting cable that I can use to connect the MPPT to the Charge disconnect pin on the BMS. However I'm using a Cerbo GX to monitor everything and I would prefer to keep the VE Direct port on the MPPT reserved for this.

Instead, I'm thinking of using another Smart Battery Protect between the MPPT and Lynx Distributor that will be linked to the charge disconnect. This idea I got from one of Ross Lukemans videos on YouTube. How does this sound?

The Orion (TR Smart 12/12 30A Isolated)
This is where it gets a little tricky for me to understand, but let me talk you through what I have so far. I have placed a 3 way Wago connector between the charge disconnect pin on the BMS and the Smart Battery Protect after the MPPT I have just mentioned, and I'm running a third wire from this Wago connector to the H-Pin on the Orion.

From what I can see in the manuals, this is all that is required. But I'm starting to question whether or not I also need to run a negative from the L pin on the Orion back to the Battery Minus on the VE Bus BMS or elsewhere? I can't figure out if the ground for the remote switch is sent through the L pin or through the output cables of the Orion connecting to the Lynx.

*Edit* I think I've been getting the Non Isolated Orions mixed with the Isolated Orions. Am I right in thinking I need this? https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/orion-tr_isolated_dc-dc_charger_remote_cable

Other Stuff to confirm
1. I have wired the Pre-Alarm from the BMS to a light/buzzer and then back to the Battery Minus on the BMS as they're only 4 inches apart. However most of the schematics on the Victron Website show the pre-alarm negative going to ground on a SBP or Busbar. Is there any particular reason for this? I did notice that the ground for the BMS is provided via the RJ45 cable, which leaves the Battery Minus pin free for me to use.

2. Is there a risk of the Orion draining the starter battery if linked to the charge disconnect port in the method I have described above?

3. Am I right in thinking a Smart Battery protect can not be used between the Orion and the Lynx Distributor as there is a risk of current flowing backwards through the SBP if the vehicle battery draws from the Lithium Batteries?

As I said, complete newbie so apologies if this comes across naive. I'm still at the point in which I don't know what I don't know. Cheers in advance!

MPPT ControllersLithium BatteryBMSorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers