smart lithium Image

smart lithium

Battery size for MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-32

I would like to confirm my thoughts on battery size for the MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-32

I am new to Victron and the Victron community. I will be doing a full Victron GX setup for a Van with Lynx Smart BMS 500, Cerbo GX, Lynx Distributor, DC to DC Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A and SmartSolar MPPT 100/20. With 460 Watts solar on the roof. DC to DC as the main re charge source, solar as the top up, and shore power only as a backup if needed.

I chose to go Victron and the eye watering price of Victron batteries and eco system as I wanted an off grid van system that would "look after itself". Be able to hook up Victron batteries in parallel knowing zero issues with the whole multiple batteries and BMS shutdowns etc. Finally a 3Kva rather than 2Kva so was not running the inverter to its capacity every time a large draw was used, toaster, induction and the ability when needed to run 2 large loads, like short use of roof air con (inverter air con) while being able to cook etc.

My question: I would love be able to grab a couple of 200Ah Victron Smart batteries for a 400Ah system, a 3rd battery later for 600Ah.

But looking at the max current draw on the 200Ah Victron smart battery, MAX does say 400Ah BUT recommended max says < 200ah. ( 200Ah x 12V = 2,400 Watts)

This means with the 3,000 watt Multiplus II max performance of 3,000watts, the recommended max battery draw is a good 600 Watts below inverter capacity. If we were using the system to its full capacity of 3,000 watts thats a 250 Amp draw on the batteries. Within max battery draw but above the recommended 200Ah draw.

If we were running the roof air con Dometic IBIS 4 ( for short periods on low) by itself its a max draw of 1,600 watts, 600-900 watts on low, and why I was looking at a 3Kva inverter rather than the 2Kva. Didn't want to be in the scenario where your limited to one big draw appliance and no capacity left.

Therefore I though that to allow full use of the MultiPlus II, I have no choice but to use the Victron 300Ah or 300Ah - leaning to the 330Ah as its 20kg lighter and smaller in size.

Am I being too OCD going with the 330Ah battery ? or would 2 or 3 200Ah be fine with the view that up to 2,400 Watts inverter power would be within the 80% normal usage and 2,400 - 3,000 watts (250 Amp draw which is 50 amps above battery recommenced but within the max 400Ah ) would be a 20% use case for a few hours at a time occasionally.

Russell Brown asked
Russell Brown commented ·

2 Answers

BMV relay controlling charge sources based on SOC? Victron lithium system.

I'm working on a customers narrowboat in the UK which has had a Victron lithium system fitted by another installer a few months ago. I've attached the orginal installers diagram which is how it's all been installed.

I've been asked to sort out alternator charging - Removing the CL 12/100 (which doesn't work and installer saying the latest version isn't like previous ones they used) and fitting a Mastervolt Alpha Pro external regulator to the Beta 43 175A alternator (using BMS charge disconnect signal to control).

I'm questioning how the state of charge relay is being used to break the Charge Disconnect signal from the VE.Bus BMS. As soon as the BMV hits 100% the allow to charge signal is broken and turns solar and alternator charging off so there's no real length of time in absorption. The cells in the 3* 160AH Smarth Lithium batteries are balanced according to the app.

Is it recommended that the BMV relay be used like this? Can't see it on any of the official schematics.. edit.. just spotted this one here https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/DS-Lucians-Victron-Van-Automotive-Alternator.pdf

Wonder what other people think and if there's an official recommendation?

1. I could leave BMV relay as it is controlling the Mastervolt Alpha Pro and SmartSolar.

2. BMV relay just controlling Alpha Pro. Smartsolar left with standard lithium profile with fixed absorption time to ensure cell balancing.

3. Remove the BMV relay control completely.

Thanks for any advice, Ed

[image]

MatildaSchematic.jpg

fc-marine asked
fc-marine edited ·

0 Answers

Smart BMS CL 12-100 only giving 4-6A

Just plugged my new Smart BMS CL 12-100 with a 80A fuse however the device is only giving an output to the LiFePo4 battery bank of 4-6A maximum when running the engine. The state of charge of the battery is 80% and it is at 13.3v -120Ah (it’s a 600Ah battery bank).

When I plug the solar (MPPT) it is giving way more than that amount of Amps so clearly the system wants to take charge.

Any advise?

Entire system is Victron except solar panels

sv-the-dream asked

0 Answers

Is VE.bms+Cerbo GX+Multiplus+SmartSolar MPPT enough for a Li battery with only AC loads?

I am trying to build a battery backup for some AC loads that can also be powered by solar.

The system schematic is attached.

I'm trying to verify that battery protection would function in this system, as the Cerbo would be in control of both MPPTs and the Multiplus using DVCC (and therefore nothing needs to be attached to the charge disconnect of the BMS). As I understand it, I would need to configure this as an ESS system.

Am I correct in understanding that it is impossible to combine Multiplus+battery+MPPT without a Cerbo if I wish to power loads from solar when available, grid when solar not available?

[image]

kaarliskr asked

0 Answers

Last Full Charge Unknown

My Victron Smart Lithium 200Ah 12v battery says “Last Full Charge Unknown” and “Cell Status Unknown”

My whole system is new, and I’m not convinced it has correct SOC. The system from first connection believed the battery is at 100% extremely quickly.

It is DVCC.

Lynx Smart BMS and Distributer, Multiplus 12/800/35, MPPTs, CerboGX, Orion DC DC,

The Multiplus goes into Absorbtion very quickly, but then never goes to float.

Any ideas?

[image]

sweyn asked
Stefanie commented ·

1 Answer

New Lithium Smart Bank Commissioning. Watts Charged Lower Then Expected

Hello,

Making progress on a new installation of Multiplus 12/3000 + Lynx BMS + Lithium Smart Batteries (4).

I did my first set of load testing and got the bank from full charge down to 80%. When I provided AC shore power back to the Multiplus I only say about 1.2kW of charge current which then tapered down. See graph below showing the start of inverter test and back to charge.

The Multiplus is set to max 30A AC1 inlet

The Lynx BMS is set for

• Battery Capacity 330A
  • # of Batteries in Parallel 4

I was expecting the Multiplus to have a larger charge current to the battery bank.

Anyone know what the max watts a Multiplus 12/3000 can generate on the charging side? The data sheet was unclear.

Could this be something the BMS is dictating through DCVV because I thought it only set the voltage settings.

Cheers,

-R

[image]

murphy-r asked
Stefanie commented ·

8 Answers

ABYC E-13 Compliance for Lithium Batteries

The new ABYC standard for lithium batteries came out today. E13.5.4 requires lithium batteries or cells to meet the testing requirements of at least one of the following standards: IEC 62133, IEC 62619, IEC 62620. SAE J2929, UL1642, UL1973, or UL 2054.

I can’t find anything in Victron literature about these standards.

Does anyone know whether Victron Smart lithium batteries are or will be certified to one of these standards? I was hoping to install Victron lithium batteries on my US-flagged boat this year, but to keep my insurance I need the installation to be ABYC compliant.

Rob asked

0 Answers

New Lithium Smart 3x200ah bank is unbalanced and charging disabled

Just turned our new battery bank composed of 3 Victron Lithium Smart 200ah batteries (all gadgets installed, BMS, cyrix-li load, etc..) and it says cells are unbalanced and goes to charge disable mode after charge with our MPPT, tried with the Multiplus and does exactly the same.

as we were checking the app we noticed the same battery (our battery 3) looks very unbalanced and one of the cells reaches up to 3.77v and then the system disables this battery from charging. And off course the remaining 2 end up not completing their balancing process.

Is this normal? Or are we missing a step?

[image]

Thanks

sv-the-dream asked
sv-the-dream commented ·

1 Answer

Lynx Smart BMS 500 - Remote On/Off - No Load

Hi,

Can anyone clarify the highlighted comment attached?

" When the battery current is low enough the contactor will open so that the DC system is disconnected from the batteries"

I have tried to carry out a few initial tests, but get varying results. When no load is present (on the outgoing contactor terminals) and the Rem On/Off is opened, the safety contactor opens immediately (as expected). If I generate a load (e.g. a Quattro inverting with 2-3kW), the contactor can take anywhere between 5 and 20 seconds to open. Presumably the BMS 500 isn't intelligent enough to command external loads (such as a Quattro/Multi) via VE.Can -> Cerbo -> VE.Bus, so how will the shunt determine what is an acceptable current level to open?

[image]

Rob Howdle asked
Rob Howdle answered ·

2 Answers

Multiplus 12/3000 + Cerbo + Lynx BMS + Smart Battery DCVV

Hi I am expanding an older system with the following components and ran into behavior by my Multiplus 12/3000 in charging my new Victron Lithium Smart batteries.

Components

• Cerbo GX
  • Lithium Smart Batteries
  • Lynx Smart BMS
  • Multiplus 12/3000

I see in the Cerbo where the Lynx communicated through DCVV the following values from the battery.

• CVL - 14.2V
  • CCL - 330A
  • DCL - 600A

However, when I start commissioning the first battery solo the Multiplus is charging at 13.8V and floats at 13.38V

So a few questions:

1. Does my Multiplus on the latest firmware v494 support DCVV over the VE.Bus?
  2. When I go into the configure the Multiplus it specifically says in the help section that if a Lynx BMS is used the GX will override all settings over CAN-bus
  3. Trying to understand why the Multiplus is charging at below 14.2V even when I configured it to do 14.2V if the DCVV was not working.
  4. My Multiplus dropped into float after 15-20minutes on the single battery and never hit a voltage above 13.8V to trigger the batter to know it's cell status. Not sure how to get the cell status to calculate. Battery Cells are all 3.40V and says Battery Read For Use in Victron Connect App.
  5. For a fully charged 12V Victron Lithium Smart Battery what is the normal cell voltage supposed to be?

Cheers!

murphy-r asked
Stefanie answered ·

3 Answers

New Victron SmartLithium 24V/200Ah has already a temperature offset seen in the VictronConnect app

I bought a new Victron SmartLithium 24V/200Ah and when I view it via the VictronConnect app I see the value of 4°C in the Battery temperature offset. My question is why is there already a value here, does the temperature sensor in the battery itself determine this value? As indicated, this is a new battery, see screenshot;

[image]

In the VictronConnect app you have the option to set the set values to the default settings;

[image]

This sets also the Battery temperature offset to 0 °C. Is this a sensible thing to do and will the internal temperature sensor determine this value again?

topper asked
Stefanie commented ·

1 Answer

Lynx Smart BMS and Distributor alarm?

MPPT is showing Bulk Charge but no charge showing on the Cerbo.

PV state is currently "OFF" but I am unable to change this.

There is also a ticking sound, similar to a clock ticking, coming from BMS.

[image]

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

jacqui asked
Stefanie answered ·

4 Answers

Followers

12 Posts
10 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Stefanie