question

eamonn-washington avatar image
eamonn-washington asked

Will an old Quattro work with a new BMS V2?

My old Quattro 24/5000/120-2x30 230V is from the year 2009. The firmware is V209 and cannot be updated due to the old microprocessor. CPU label: 1940123.HEX (19 is the family group number, 40 model number, 123 version … upgraded to V209)

I recently bought Victron Energy smart lithium batteries and a BMS V2, to add to my existing installation on my boat of a VE MPPT and Cerbo GX, etc. I was planning the installation and reading the manuals online when I read:

• Before connecting the BMS to the system, the VE.Bus firmware of all inverter/chargers or inverters used in the system needs to be updated to the latest firmware version (version xxxx489 or above). If the inverter/charger firmware is between version xxxx415 and xxxx489, the "VE.Bus BMS" or "ESS" assistant must be installed in the inverter/charger. If the inverter/chargers or inverters have a VE.Bus firmware version below xxxx415, the BMS will generate a VE.Bus error 15 (VE.Bus combination error). This error indicates that the VE.Bus products or firmware versions cannot be combined. If it is not possible to update the inverter/chargers or inverters to a VE.Bus firmware version xxxx415 or higher the VE.Bus BMS V2 cannot be used.

My questions are:

1. Is the VE.Bus firmware the same as the Quattro V209 firmware?
  2. How do I figure out what the Quattro VE.Bus firmware version is?

I think I cannot use the new BMS V2. The BMS V2 datasheet says "It is designed to interface with and protect the lithium batteries in systems that have Victron inverters or inverter/chargers that have VE.Bus communication", which is why I bought it.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You can't use that BMS as your system does not support the minimum firmware required.

vebus firmware and device firmware are the same thing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eamonn-washington avatar image
eamonn-washington answered ·

Thanks Nick, that's unfortunately what I thought.

The BMS manual (not the BMS V2) does not specify firmware versions. Do you think that the BMS (V1) would work with lithium and an old Quattro.

If not, I guess I need to replace my working Quattro and use the V2.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

You are aware the BMS is only for Victron Lithium batteries?

I would be surprised if it supported the old microprocessor, but I can't say for certain.

Hopefully someone else can confirm.

0 Likes 0 ·
eamonn-washington avatar image eamonn-washington nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yes I bought the Victron lithium Smart batteries. Not yet installed.

0 Likes 0 ·