question

solarrls303 avatar image
solarrls303 asked

Multiplus II AC current limit config questions

I have 12v Multiplus, when current limit set to 14A and I charge the batteries with a 2000w generator the multi will try to draw more current. To get the generator to supply AC I had to reduce charge current to the batteries. Should this not happen when the current limit is set?

Multiplus-IIcurrent limit
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aly avatar image aly commented ·
reverse the firmware update, if you can. same issues. very bad update
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Did you do your maths correctly? 14A input limit at 230V is 3220W. That equates to a max 12V charge current of 268A (not that the multi can do that).

So if you want a max charge of 100A at 12V you'd need a 230V input AC limit of around 5A, as an example.

Usually though, we would just use DVCC to set a system wide limit on charging, or configure the max you want on the mutli.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alway used the DVCC and never had no issues until this firmware update. Nothing to do with math, it the update.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The current limit setting includes pass-through AC current AND charging current. The AC input should never draw more than the set current limit. You should not need to adjust charging current separately.

Remember that charging current to the battery will be much higher than the AC current used to feed the charger. Don't assume the battery current reported by a BMV or SmartShunt is drawing that from the AC input. For example if your system is 120 volts and battery voltage of 12 volts, then AC current drawn by the charger is roughly 1/10 of the reported battery charging current.

If your system is 230 volts as nkckdb implies, then the current limit is too high. I'f it's 120 volts, then 14 amps is about 1700 watts which should be OK as long as your generator is capable of at least 1700 watts continuous.

1 comment
2 |3000

it seem the firmware update no longer draws what is set by the user, for example 14 amps, it seem to ignore the setting a draws until the generator disappears from the app. Never happen like that before and we only experience this with the recent firmware update.
0 Likes 0 ·
solarrls303 avatar image
solarrls303 answered ·

So to add some detail to my situation, the system is 120vac. The generator is capable of running 1700w continuous. Even setting the current limit to 10 amps did not prevent the multi from trying to draw too much current from the generator. It was only when I changed the charge current limit from 120 amps to 70 amps I was able to use the generator to supply the multi with A.C. power.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I think you did the calculations on 12V.

Try with charging voltage (guessing you're using 14.4V). Add in the system consumption that @Kevin Windrem mentioned. Probably makesore sense.

Also there are two current limits - input and charge under DVCC. It's not clear which you've been using.

1 comment
2 |3000

Just like him, it worked flawlessly, all the setting were correct, no changes made. However this firmware did remove the setting and I had to go in and make the correction. Using my print out, I made sure, it was set as before. However the problem is there.
0 Likes 0 ·
aly avatar image
aly answered ·

Just before my trip i did a update on the multiplus 3000/12/120. It seem there is an issue, I plan to revert the update when I back in town.

In the past the system would draw only to the max setting that i set, such as 14amp from my 2200W honda generator and the rest from 600 amp battery bank lithium.

This no longer works, it overdraws from the honda, disappears from the cerbo gx victorn app. Work perfected all summer until this update. Once I remove the load, after a few seconds, the ac source would reappear on the victron app connected to the cerbo gx display on my iphone.

As a temp fix, I had to reduce the charger amperate to 10 amp or less when using in the RV. So, all worked, When done, I reset the charger on the multiplus back to 40 amps.

Disappointed with Victron for releasing such a bad update and failing to fully test it in all senerios.

1 star out of 10 ...... bad, very bad and disappointed with their buggy update.

1 comment
2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas commented ·
Did you reconfigure the inverter via veconfigure after the update? Make sure remote override is enabled?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic