charge current limit Image

charge current limit

Victron Factor 1.0 rule VS. DVCC "maximum charge current" setting?

i wonder how the CCL (charge current limit) setting in DVCC menu will affect the Victron factor 1.0 design rule? Or general how it will affect sudden loss of load or grid at high PV-power.

I have a 3-phase ESS system with 3x 5kVA Multis with AC-coupled 1x Fronius Symo at AC-out1 and 1x Fronius Symo at AC-In.

Also i have a DC-coupled MPPT RS450/100

During Summertime i have set DVCC charge current limit to 5A and have DC-feed-in active.

Why?

Because then, my battery is only charged by the MPPT RS (because it ignores CCL in this case), and its not charged from Multis/Fronius.

So the PV-Inverters only do, what they can do best: provide power for my AC-loads and feed excess into the grid.

And the MPPT RS only does, what it can do best: it only charges the Battery. And once its full, it also feeds excess into grid.

In Wintertime I set the charge limit to a higher value, so that also PV-Inverters can help charging the batteries.

This works perfectly fine so far.

But i wonder, what will happen during grid loss at full PV power or if a big load is suddenly switched off in off-grid situation?

Basically the PV-Inverter would need to redirect its power through the multis to the battery.

But there is still the 5A DVCC charge limit in place....

So how would the system react then?

Will the 5A charge limit be ignored in this situation, and the multis will charge full PV-power into the batteries?

Or will the 5A limit stay in place and the Fronius will protect itself by shutting off?

Or is there even risk of damage for Fronius or Multis in this situation?

pedaaa asked
pedaaa answered ·

4 Answers

Single 12v Panel capable of Charging 24v battery array MPPT 75

Hi

I have had a supplier incorrectly supply solar panels that are 12v and its impossible to return them as we remote.

Specs: 140w

Open circuit: 22.68V

Optimal operation: 18.90v

Short Circuit: 8.00A

Optimal Operation: 7.41A

Will a single panel charge 24v 24ah (2x 12v 24ah "gels" in series)

Using a Victron MPPT 75 | 15 (NO BT)

[image]

darren-1 asked
kevgermany commented ·

1 Answer

Solar MPPT stops charging if I current limit the Multiplus

first - the equipment

Multiplus 24/3000/70-50 120V

SmartSolar MPPT 100/50

SmartShunt 500A

EG4 Lifepower4 24v battery

RaspberryPi running VenusOS

Sometimes we boondock or moochdock in our RV or i just don't want to pull so much amperage from our house shore for the RV and let the solar panels provide some energy, but if i current limit the Multiplus, my solar stops working and continues to not work even after restoring the Multiplus to 50A.

I've tried isolating the MPPT from the network so it's standalone, but then it reads about 2 volts higher on the battery than the smart shunt and my multimeter says and doesn't appear to charge because that elevated reading is at float levels.

I do not have a battery listed for compatibility with DVCC, so i have not attempted that to get what i am aiming for. it's my understanding that it's possible with appropriate communications to do this with DVCC but alas no battery compat.

When i set the current limit on the Multiplus - is it limiting the entire network's current? I can't quite tell from what i've read.

This seems like a pretty common scenario i would think so i'm wondering if i'm just doing something stupid.

I do have the SmartSolar's voltage set a bit higher than the Multiplus so that the Multiplus in theory would chill out earlier and let the solar contribute at least some at the end.

I've also recently been on the road with no shore at all and the solar still clamped down to 0A to the batteries. This scenario definitely used to work.

Any help debugging would be greatly appreciated

messy asked
messy answered ·

3 Answers

Effects of changing battery charge current limit on charger NV storage

I am thinking about sending hex protocol commands to my 100/50 blue charger to limit the charger current under certain circumstances but want to do as little as possible. If I change register 0xEDF0 does this trigger a write to the charger's non-volatile storage and if so is this going to cause problems with write aging of what ever that nv storage actually is? There could be multiple changes to the charge current limit each day.

The other option would be to put the charger into a network mode, possibly BMS mode, but I am not sure if that means the voltage targets in the charger's internal profile apply any more. Preferably I'd like to not take command of anything but the charge current limit. I'm not sure if writing to register 0x2015 would trigger a write to the charger's NV storage either.

overvoltage asked
henriv answered ·

1 Answer

please can any one know why charge relay turns off too soon ?

Charger Safety relay and the Charge Enable relay this means that the charge current limit (CCL) might be hitting 0A causing the relay to latch OFF. but what should I do to resolve the issue it's charging for just 5 mint and turning off and I restart the BMS and 5 mint again ...

dris-eec asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

Is there minimum charge current for the Super Cycle battery?

I have seen some lead acid manufacturers state minimum charge current for their batteries, one manufacturer even claiming minimum 0.2C as minimum, but the manual for Victron Super Cycle only state that maximum should be 0.2C. Is there a recommended minimum? If so, how much?

matias-b asked
simon-ytterbom answered ·

1 Answer

Load current compensation for charge current.

Hi

I have a small setup : MPPT Smartsolar 75/15. 104Wh LifePO4 battery. 130W panel.

I need to run 3A load, while the battery is charging. But the battery charge recommendation is 1.4A with a max of 5A.

To run the 3A load I have to set the charge max to 5A (2 for the battery + 3 for the load)

When the load is turned off, the battery current jumps to 5A, which is the max of the battery. I do not want to change at max.

So I now have to remember to change the max charge back to 2A, every time I turn off the load. This is not feasible in the long run.

My request to Victron is to improve the firmware to simply compensate for the load, in near real-time.

chargeCurrent = minimum(charge max + load current , device max current)

i.e. Add the measured current to the configured charge max current and apply that to the charge current. Limit the total to the device max (15A).

This can be done on a 5 second interval. So worst case , the battery will be charged at max for 5 seconds when the load is turned off.

This will efficiently do what I do in the app.

I see there are a few other posts of the same request, but I cannot afford another device to enable what I think is an easy firmware change. Nether a bigger battery , with higher charge current.

I was surprised and disappointed to see that the device dies not operate this way by default.

Regards Henri

henriv asked

0 Answers

Phoenix MultiPlus 24/3000/70 overloads during charging

My Phoenix MultiPlus 24/3000/70 ends up in 'overload' state when it is charging, with a minimal AC load (< 100W), with the AC current limit set to 16A. The current to the battery is then 55A.

If I limit the AC current to 8A, the MultiPlus continues to charge, albeit at 45A.

I would expect the unit to limit itself to stay out of overload.

Can there be other causes of 'overload', apart from the AC load current ?

Firmware is 1812141.HEX

vdkeybus asked
vdkeybus commented ·

1 Answer

Charge current Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70

I have the above Multiplus. Rated at 70A but only ever gets to 42A with discharged batteries, during bulk charge. (BM 712)

I opted for the 70 as this is the max rating for the pair of Exide 142 Ah.

Manual states 75% of max but this would be 52A.

24h discharge is around 110 Ah and not getting replaced on just running the generator for 2 hours

I don’t want to go down the route of a PC interface at £80 for just one use.

is this normal? And is it adjustable by DIP switches?

rocksteadee asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

1 Answer

Current limiting, in general.

Running Multiplus 2000/24, MPPT 100/50 with 640w solar, cerbo with no screen, and two Orion 12/24/15 off two outboards with 33amp 12v alternators. Battery bank is two gr27 agm gel, with space for two more.

Concerned about too much current flowing to my too small bank. I can size the bank up, but want to understand how to current limit.

The Orions can deliver 30amps total, solar, say 22 amps, and if hooked to shore power, the Multiplus charger some other higher amount like to 50 amp. So, seeing this as up to 102 amps into two batteries sounds like a fire or exploding battery.

I don't even know how to determine the safe charging limits, so any help is appreciated.

fallguy1000 asked
dc4me commented ·

10 Answers

Understanding: Series Vs Parallel for 2 x150W panels with SmartSolar 75/15

Wow... I've read a LOT of great info on this site. But there are a lot of numbers and my pea-sized brain still has a couple of questions. Here's what I know: (Please correct anything I've misunderstood!)

* Panels in SERIES Voltages add, and current remains the same, while for panels in PARALLEL their Amps add together and voltages remain the same.

* Battery charging begins once the panel Voltage is more than 5V above the voltage of the battery.

* SmartSolar controllers can handle more amps from the panel(s) than indicated by their model numbers - they just don't push more than that charge into the battery above the limit (eg my SmartSolar 75/15 will limit Amps into the battery to 15A

* Voltage indicated by the model number (eg 75V for my SmartSolar75/15) is a hard limit that will damage the controller if exceeded by the total open circuit voltage stated on the panel(s).

I already have a SmartSolar 75/15 and one 12V 150W panel with these specs:

VOC 22.3V and Vmp 17.9V with max current 8.73A

I currently have a 21V 150Ah AGM battery but plan on replacing it with a 200Ah LiFePO4

I have a second panel the same that is not connected, and the possibility of a separate 310W panel also. Here are the questions:

Assuming I don't want to buy another Charge Controller - 1. If I connect the second 150W panel in Series will I start charging earlier in the day or if its cloudy or partially shaded because the voltages are added and therefore higher earlier in the day than if they were in Parallel?

2. In series voltages add. So 2 panels at Voc 22.3 x 2 = 44.6V This is under the 75Vlimit... any problem with this aspect?

3. In Series the current is the same - since the panels put out 8.73A my 15 A controller wont be close to the max it can push to the battery. Is this a waste of the potential of the panels?

3b. Would It be smarter to put the same 2 panels in parallel, accept that they wont start charging as early in the day or as often in partial shade or cloud but get more amps (which might on rare occasions when everything is perfect exceed 15A since 2 x 8.73A = 17.46A, and therefor be limited to 15 A by the controller)?

4. If i were to replace the 150W panel with a singe 310W 12V ( Voc 40.5V, Imp 9.4A) panel would I get similar results to the total 300W of a 2-panel in parallel setup?

I know there is fair bit here. I hope your answers can not only educate me but also help clarify for future readers who, like me, spent a long time trying to understand this stuff by amalgamating knowledge from previous posts...

Stephen asked
Stephen commented ·

1 Answer

MQTT change MaxChargeCurrent not working on multiplus after I connected bluesolar MPPT

Hello,

I have a problem, which appeared after I connected bluesolar charger to my battery. Before there was only multiplus II and when I changed DC charge current, it was working properly. MQTT topic is venus-home/N/xxxxxxxxxxx/vebus/289/Dc/0/MaxChargeCurrent (of course I'm using W instead of N to change values).

Problem appeared, when I connected bluesolar to the system. Now when I change the MaxChargeCurrent value, it's working, but a few seconds later it change back to 35A.

I'd like to control charging current of the multiplus, not whole system, so that the bluesolar is charging full power and multiplus is controlled by MQTT. But since I connected bluesolar it's not working. Is it a bug or am I missed something? (sorry for my english :/ )

supiiik asked
supiiik answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 48/500 still charging when CCL from BMS is zero

Hi, I'm testing a BMS. The BMS comunicate correctly with the CerboGX I installed, I checked all the datas that the CerboGX reads from BMS and they are fine, included the CVL,CCL,DCL parameters. I put the "Keep Battery Charged" mode in the ESS and it works fine, the current profile follow the dynamic CCL. At the end of charge the CCL variate between 0A and 0,7A while the battery is performing balancing and the charge current follow that CCL limit well. Then there is a moment that CCL go to 0,6A (more less) and the current charge go to the same value and than "detatch" itself from CCL value charging the battery with that current constantly. The CCL go to zero but the Multi continues to charge with 0,6A (more less), and the battery go in overvoltage and disconnect itself for protection. Any thougth in what's happening and what's the possible error? Thank you

eddo asked

0 Answers

Why is my Victron Easy Solar unit only drawing half of the usual generator power?

For some reason my Easy Solar (with 48V Lithium BYD Box) is only drawing about half of the power it usually does when the generator is running. The battery temp doesn't seem to affect it, whether 14 deg C or 20 deg C.

I tested the generator supply out by switching on my coffee machine while watching the monitor - Generator Watts jumped up from around 800 W to over 2000 W. Then straight back to around 800 W when I switched the load off. In Console I tried adjusting the max charging amps up and down, but the actual charging amps are still well below this setting.

The generator usually cruises along at about 1450 Watts of charge. Why would it have suddenly dropped to 800W ?

stokie77 asked

0 Answers

Model Phoenix 12/24. When the power switch is turned on, it lights up (bulk) and after a few seconds goes into (failure + fast blinking Bulk) output voltage = 0V

when trying to configure settings:

Adjusting maximum bulk current.

Adjusting absorption voltage.

Adjusting float voltage.

- the system enters setting mode, but the output voltage remains zero

yevgeniy asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

0 Answers

Followers

96 Posts
92 Users
1 Follower