charge current limit Image

charge current limit

Does limiting charging current on MPPT also affect load output?

I have a 100/20 SmartSolar MPPT charge controller with a load output that I would like to use to charge a 60Ah lead-acid battery.

Does limiting the charging current to 12A in the app (20% of 60Ah) also affect the load output? Or could I, under adequate sun conditions, get the 12A to the battery and draw additional current from the load output (for instance 2.1A to charge a phone through a cigarette lighter plug) so in that case get to 14.1A?

Thanks!

matt13 asked
matt13 commented ·

1 Answer

Multi dcvv charge limiting

Hi,

I have a Mutli 24/5000 120/100 running ESS. 4kw of solar running thru 4 x 250/85 mppt all connected thru a CCGX, - Its work great.

8 x 12v AGM 135a batteries 2s4p. with a Victron balancer connected to these batteries.

I have configured the Relay output of the balancer to reduce the charge current on the multi if it goes into alarm state. (Aux 2 on the multi)

My question is that the DCVV charge limit now does not limit the charge current. I have the aux input configured to 1a charge when in alarm state and 90a in normal state.

Not sure this is a good way of doing it but was wondering if anyone has experienced this.

many thanks.

Rich

richie-gorrod asked
richie-gorrod answered ·

2 Answers

Multiplus 12/1600/70 not delivering and or maintaining high charge current

Below image from VRM of charge cycle being delivered.

The battery is 2 x GEL 260AH units in parallel, result 520AH. I have around 10 of these sites all with the same 12/1600/70 unit and 520AH battery, they all do the same. The charge current peaks at the set 55A for a very short time and then drops to <40A for the rest of the bulk charge phase, well before the 14.4 set point is achieved. I have read as many posts on this issue and there does not seem to be a real answer anywhere for this problem. My local Victron supply agent has no answer for me either. Actually I would like around 60A charge current as I need to recover these units as fast as possible.

Has anyone found the reason why these units do not maintain the high level of charge the spec sheet seems to indicate is possible?

[image]

francoisemslie asked
Alexandra commented ·

11 Answers

12/12/30 DC/DC charger drawing >>30 A

I have my 12/12/30 mounted ~25' from my Alternator source. I have a 60A breaker protecting the connection from the alternator source. When I start the engine, then turn on the converter it draws ~77A and trips the 60A breaker. I have #8 cu for the feed. I've ordered some 1/0 wire to replace the #8, but I'm afraid that something is wrong with my converter. I expect it to draw ~30A to protect my alternator. Any ideas why my unit is drawing so much current on the line side?

bwilless asked
jkmann answered ·

1 Answer

Quattro limiting charge current

I have installed a Quattro, it is set-up with DVCC. For some reason, it always limits the charge current to the batteries at around 16A, this happens when the source is either the generator or shore power. It is not the charge current limit set in the Quattro or Cerbo, as it is much higher than this. It does not matter the SoC, it always limits the current.

I can prove that it is not the batteries limiting the current, as if I start one of the main engines, the alternators will pump in 50A or so, which is their max capacity.

What would be causing the Quattro to limit the charge current?

mattyroo asked
mattyroo answered ·

1 Answer

LiFePo4 4batteries in parallel

Hi,

I want to use LifePo4 batteries in parallel.
I will use a Chinese model which are able to "talk" to VE.Can bus. I think they are using the Pyontech protocol.

Suppose I will use 5 batteries with 48V and 230Ah and the BMS can handle 200A charge and discharge.
So the question is: What is the maximum Amperage I can charge and discharge with 5 batteries in parallel?

Kirchhoffs law says that the current is reduced in a parallel circuit:
As all batteries will be parallel, theoretical I could use 5x200A = 1000A, but in reality its too much, isn't it?

One company gave me a formula:
n...number of batteries
n x 200A / 2 = Max A

This would be 5 x 200 / 2 = 500A

What is the experience of the community?

I am happy with any answer!

mswoboda asked
mswoboda answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus Compact 12/2000 limited charging

My Multiplus Compact 12/2000 80A installed in a motor home new 2011, which I bougt this year, refuses to charge with more than appr 55A and consuming more than 4,7A 230V regardless os settings for shore power limit and/or power assist. Any ideas?

jandersb asked
jandersb edited ·

0 Answers

Trying to understand how much my genset can output

I have this 9000w genset and I'm having a hard time figuring out how many amps it is able to output while charging my system. It can output 120v or 240v.

What math I'm using is this so far but it's such a big genset, it must be able to output more than 60a???

9000w - 20% inefficiency = 7200w
My multiplus 24v/3000w/70-50 is 120v so the math should be 7200w/120v = 60a output.

Is that correct?

Right now I'm charging and I can see that my system seems to only be accepting 20a from the genset while charging! What? How can I fix this so I can get more charge into my bank in less time and gas spent?

Help!

STEPS I HAVE TAKEN:

Following this document by Victron, I have:

Deactivated Power Assist in the VE.Config
Changed the AC Input Current Limit to 31a based on their equation below:

(a 5kVA generator typically provides about 4 kW
80% of 4 kW is 3200 W
3200 W / 230 V volts = 13.9 A
Set the AC Current Input Limit to 13 A)

Mine looks like 9000w - 20% as above = 7200w / 120v = 31a

But I'm not seeing anything different at all.

PS: Please ignore the "stopped" in the genset info. I don't have it set to auto start/stop yet so everytime I manually start a charge, it still reports it as stopped on the VRM.

[image]

[image]

allswell asked
allswell commented ·

3 Answers

Multiplus ll not limiting AC current draw

I have a system with one MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48, a Cerbo GX, and Lithium battery bank with REC BMS. System was configured to limit current draw from AC at 10A 230V. This was working as expected for a long time. Suddenly one day the AC breaker tripped. After resetting the breaker i noticed that the multiplus it charging 3000W to the battery. I have tried several setting adjustments, but to no wain. Even whith Multiplus configured to 9.5A and running completly standalone it is charging the battery with 3000W.
Inverting from battery is not showing any issues.
Any suggjestions to what can cause this?

Firmware is updated to ver 500

solan-g asked
Jason - UK answered ·

1 Answer

Grid feed-in / maximum phase current

Hi

I would like to know, if the grid feed-in setting (watts) is single- or three-phase, when you have three phase grid and only one multiplus in a system? I have a grid meter, Fronius on-grid 3-phase inverter on multi input + Easysolar 2 on phase 1, and together they could blow the phase 1 main fuse if load is low enough and there is enough solar power available. This is for outgoing energy, but the same question applies for consumption:

Is there a way to limit Easysolar/Multiplus charge current via grid meter, to avoid blowing main fuses? (25A main fuse, ATM 16A max grid charging current, but other appliances might be powered while charging and the risk of blowing the mains is real).

I've tried to search the forums and manuals for this info, but haven't found an answer yet, so I would be very thankful for any insight on this matter.

Kari Saaranen asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 24/3000 not charging at full rate

I have a multiplus 24/3000 that should be capable of charging at 70A. I have 3 200AH HE 24V batteries connected through a Lynx ION 400. Everything functions normally, but charging is topping out at about 42A. I've sent the max charge on the multi at 70A with a mk3 programmer. I've got a Cerbo GX /Touch 50 on it and I have tried with and without DVCC and within DVCC I've set the charge max to 70A and also turned that off and just tried to use battery voltage. But I never get the charge rate much above 40A regardless. Everything else seems to function normally. Discharge is fine at over 200A. firmware has all been updated, Not sure what else to adjust to get my other 40% of charge working. Thoughts?

paul-2 asked
allswell answered ·

3 Answers

Defining seperate charging currents for MPPT & MP2

Hi there;

I have just added a Plyontech US2000C (total of 3 now) and I want to charge them with 75A.

I have a MP2 GX-Version that can charge with 35A, a Victron Smartsolar 250/60 MPPT attached to 4KW of solar and a solar inverter parallel to the MP with 2KW of solar attached.

At the moment the charge current in the MPPT is still set to 50A, which was ok for the two US2000C, but now I'd like to charge the three US2000C with 75A....BUT, I don't want the MPPT to charge with more than 50A since it already gets pretty hot at times.

As far as I understand, it should be possible that 50A come from the MPPT and the rest (25A) will come from the MP if enough solar energie is present.

At the moment the system (MPPT & MP) only charges with a max. of 50A.

Funny enough that if there's not enough solar energy, the MPPT & MP charger work together to achieve the 50A but won't exceed that current.

So how can I set the system to charge at 75A???

aussiedreamland asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

2 Answers

Victron Factor 1.0 rule VS. DVCC "maximum charge current" setting?

i wonder how the CCL (charge current limit) setting in DVCC menu will affect the Victron factor 1.0 design rule? Or general how it will affect sudden loss of load or grid at high PV-power.

I have a 3-phase ESS system with 3x 5kVA Multis with AC-coupled 1x Fronius Symo at AC-out1 and 1x Fronius Symo at AC-In.

Also i have a DC-coupled MPPT RS450/100

During Summertime i have set DVCC charge current limit to 5A and have DC-feed-in active.

Why?

Because then, my battery is only charged by the MPPT RS (because it ignores CCL in this case), and its not charged from Multis/Fronius.

So the PV-Inverters only do, what they can do best: provide power for my AC-loads and feed excess into the grid.

And the MPPT RS only does, what it can do best: it only charges the Battery. And once its full, it also feeds excess into grid.

In Wintertime I set the charge limit to a higher value, so that also PV-Inverters can help charging the batteries.

This works perfectly fine so far.

But i wonder, what will happen during grid loss at full PV power or if a big load is suddenly switched off in off-grid situation?

Basically the PV-Inverter would need to redirect its power through the multis to the battery.

But there is still the 5A DVCC charge limit in place....

So how would the system react then?

Will the 5A charge limit be ignored in this situation, and the multis will charge full PV-power into the batteries?

Or will the 5A limit stay in place and the Fronius will protect itself by shutting off?

Or is there even risk of damage for Fronius or Multis in this situation?

pedaaa asked
pedaaa answered ·

4 Answers

Single 12v Panel capable of Charging 24v battery array MPPT 75

Hi

I have had a supplier incorrectly supply solar panels that are 12v and its impossible to return them as we remote.

Specs: 140w

Open circuit: 22.68V

Optimal operation: 18.90v

Short Circuit: 8.00A

Optimal Operation: 7.41A

Will a single panel charge 24v 24ah (2x 12v 24ah "gels" in series)

Using a Victron MPPT 75 | 15 (NO BT)

[image]

darren-1 asked
kevgermany commented ·

1 Answer

Solar MPPT stops charging if I current limit the Multiplus

first - the equipment

Multiplus 24/3000/70-50 120V

SmartSolar MPPT 100/50

SmartShunt 500A

EG4 Lifepower4 24v battery

RaspberryPi running VenusOS

Sometimes we boondock or moochdock in our RV or i just don't want to pull so much amperage from our house shore for the RV and let the solar panels provide some energy, but if i current limit the Multiplus, my solar stops working and continues to not work even after restoring the Multiplus to 50A.

I've tried isolating the MPPT from the network so it's standalone, but then it reads about 2 volts higher on the battery than the smart shunt and my multimeter says and doesn't appear to charge because that elevated reading is at float levels.

I do not have a battery listed for compatibility with DVCC, so i have not attempted that to get what i am aiming for. it's my understanding that it's possible with appropriate communications to do this with DVCC but alas no battery compat.

When i set the current limit on the Multiplus - is it limiting the entire network's current? I can't quite tell from what i've read.

This seems like a pretty common scenario i would think so i'm wondering if i'm just doing something stupid.

I do have the SmartSolar's voltage set a bit higher than the Multiplus so that the Multiplus in theory would chill out earlier and let the solar contribute at least some at the end.

I've also recently been on the road with no shore at all and the solar still clamped down to 0A to the batteries. This scenario definitely used to work.

Any help debugging would be greatly appreciated

messy asked
messy answered ·

3 Answers

Followers

111 Posts
107 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts