question

Chuck von Beck avatar image
Chuck von Beck asked

Amp setting to charge two LifePo 4 batteries in parellel

I have a Multiplus 2x120 connected to two 1200 An Chinns batteries (Chinese, internal Bms). The charging takes forever at 60 amps. As they are in parallel can I double the charge current? Is there a better way to charge two house batteries in this configuration?

battery charging
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

@Chuck von Beck you need to confirm the Multiplus rating to get an idea of the max charge current it will deliver. Secondly, do you really mean you have 1200 Ah of battery x 2 = 2400 Ah, that is near 40hours at 60A. Your battery is very large for that charge current.

1 Like 1 ·
Chuck von Beck avatar image Chuck von Beck pwfarnell commented ·

3840Wh, 300Ah each

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

@Chuck von Beck

Maybe you mean '200Ah' batteries??

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Chuck von Beck answered ·

Sorry 3840Wh, 300Ah each

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chuck von Beck answered ·

These are the two batteries I'm using.

CHINS 300AH Smart 12.8V LiFePO4 Lithium Bluetooth Self-Heating Battery w/ Built-in 200A BMS

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

OK, so 2 x 300Ah get them empty and thats 10 hours charging. The Multiplus often comes with the charge current set lower than maximum, my 3000VA unit is set to 90A but can manage 120A. The charge rate may be able to be increased but you will either need a mk3 USB converter and laptop / Android phone or if you have a GX device attached then you can change settings through VRM. If you increase the charge rate make sure the inverter cooling is OK.

And yes, 2 batteries in parallel so you can dpuble the charing current as long as the charger can supply it.

Manuals and guides can be found on the product page.

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-12v-24v-48v-800va-3kva#manuals

1 comment
2 |3000

Chuck von Beck avatar image Chuck von Beck commented ·

Kevin,

I've implemented the dynamic current limit. Seems the DC lights flicker for a few seconds when a large load comes on. Not a big issue, does that seem to be a permanent side effect of the change in your opinion?

0 Likes 0 ·