question

ian-rob avatar image
ian-rob asked

AGM charging regime.

I want to install 2 x 95Ah AGM batteries on my boat but I am concerned about the charging regime.

Based on the battery data sheet, they require an absorption voltage of 14.4 volts and a float voltage of 13.5 volts. This is mismatched to the output voltage of the alternator fitted to my Volvo D1-30 engine which delivers +-13.9 volts at 2300RPM

• to get around this, can I use a Victron Orion Smart 12/12 30A to adjust the voltages to the AGM charging regime?
  • to minimise the alterations to the existing cabling, can the Orion just be installed on the existing cables upstream of the splitter or do I need to alter the cabling, as someone has suggested, so that the supply is off the 75Ah AGM start battery (which will act as a buffer)?
  • the shorepower charger similarly has a mismatched outputs. Is there any reason why it’s output couldn‘t be also be regulated by the Orion?

I am rather confused!

Thanks.

battery chargingAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

1. Yes

2. Start battery on input as buffer is the supported method of installation

3. Same as 2, but can't you just reprogram the shore charger with a better profile?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual