VE.Can Image

VE.Can

PASSIVE ERROR - Problem to get communication started between Multiplus 2 GX and BYD B-Box BMS

Dear Forum,

hope you can get me some hints regarding the setup between BYD B-BOX (L3.5) BMS and Victron Multiplus II GX (3000er), which I bought new.

I recently bought the BYD B-BOX battery used from another user who had it running with a Victron Multiplus but now switched to PylonTech.

My setup is as following: MPPT SmartSolar DC connected to battery (short test: charging works, as indicated by the BYD battery (low rate white LED flash and battery voltages are in a reasonable range) and Multiplus GX connected to the battery.

[image]

Actually, I not have AC-IN connected to the grid nor the EM24 (my electrician will do that next week). Connection with SmartSolar via the VE.Bus worked very nicely. Also I follwoed the video instruction of Guy to setup the Victron for first Multiplus setup (setting to 500kBaud, DVCC, etc). I used a Typ A cable for the CAN between BMS and VE.CAN. I have an end plug / resistor on the VE.CAN as well.

Status message after reboot the Multiplus is: Not connected. In the BMS-CAN port i found following error message: Error-passive TEC:0 REC:128. Some Multiplus continues pushing packets. See the screen shot below:

[image]

Do you have any hints which root cause the error message may have?

Thanks for your support!

uksubs asked
Alexandra commented ·

3 Answers

Lynx Shunts sometimes not showing on Cerbo

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I am encountering a very puzzling error.

I have two Lynx Shunts connected to my Cerbo.

However either 0,1 or 2 of these shunts are being displayed in the Overview Hub on my Cerbo Display as tiles (DC Power) and in the menu, after everything has booted.

That situation is also constant and it only changes upon reboot, where again, it is like a "throw of dice" which shunts will be shown.

I can confirm that the shunt lights are constantly glowing green.

Does anybody know what that may be?

Could you perhaps supply the CAN matrix for the shunts?

Thank you so much!

shipbuilder101 asked
Stefanie commented ·

1 Answer

Fischer Panda page not showing

Hi,

I have a problem. I have a new i10000 genset, confirmed with latest firmware 2.11.2.38. CerboGX is running 2.9 and i followed this link verbatim to wire up the genset.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:fischer_panda

Im my devices list i clearly see a 'Fischer Panda Genset' and we're receiving data on the GX for temperature etc etc.

I should have a new page, both on the GX display and on the HTTP MFD interface, but i don't. It's like venusos has not seen it as an FP genset and therefore isn't displaying the page, not attempting commands over the ve.can to the fp.can.

Can anyone help please?

james-3 asked
james-3 answered ·

1 Answer

Protocol BusCAN

Bonjour,

Je suis à la recherche des spécifications du Protocol BusCAN de Victron. Est il possible de l'obtenir quelquepart ?

lalluyn asked

0 Answers

What is the difference between VE.Can, CAN-bus ports and BMS-Can port?

RESEARCH

1. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

2. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/118934/bms-can-ports-running-the-vecan-nmea2000-protocol.html

3. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/77903/250-kbitss-battery-on-multiplus-ii-gx.html?childToView=118964#answer-118964

4. https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/53457/can-i-connect-more-than-one-bms-to-the-venus-gx.html

From

[1].(15) - BMS-Can port is a port dedicated to be used for connecting managed batteries

[1].Second CAN-bus port (also features BMS-Can (18)) 1.(18) The secondary CAN port,

available on some GX devices as per table above, can be configured

to be used as a BMS-Can port, as well as other profiles

Thus it is suggested that the "BMS-Can" is a "Feature" added to the construct of CAN-bus port. However 1.(14) states "The hardware does not meet the requirements for a VE.Can port; and therefore is BMS-Can only. "

While[4] states "The BMS-Can protocol doesn't use addressing". (I believe protocol should be port).

Furthermore it is inferred the BMS-Can port and CAN-bus port are really running the VE.Can / NMEA2000 Protocol but ignoring the addressing priority built into the protocol (maybe through some hardware omission in hardware or protocol stack).

Question 1. Thus, what is the difference between VE.CAN port, CAN-bus port and BMS-Can port?

Question 2. Some GX devices (Venus GX and Octo GX) have secondary ( non-isolated) CAN-port with active BMS-bus feature. [1.(18)]. Does then mean a second battery can be monitored and managed by the Venus or Octo with the active second port? If so, can the batteries have separate Shuts or system voltages?

Marty asked
nebulight answered ·

3 Answers

Best 48v BMS

Hi everyone,

I am expecting a shipment of 16x280Ah prismatic LiFePO4 cells. It is my first experience with non-lead acid batteries. I understand that I need a BMS, but there is incredible selection and profound difference in cost between models. I currently have a Cerbo GX which I understand has two data busses, a CAN bus and a proprietary VE.bus. This paragraph is the entire sum of my BMS knowledge, +/-.

I want to find a BMS that integrates maximally with the Cerbo. I'm happy to pay for quality. I don't necessarily need it to be a "supported" solution by Victron, as long as it integrates well. In another group on DIY Powerwalls, Batrium seems to be the most popular name in BMS. Is anyone running a similar system to what I've described, with a Batrium BMS?

What other options do I have? I'm also impressed with REC-BMS, but it's very pricey. A couple other ones I've glanced at are 123Smart BMS, Tiny BMS, Chargery BMS and DIY BMS. Also Daly?

The two most important things to me are 1) safety and 2) integration with my Victron products. This will be a 16s, 48v (although it's not a strict design requirement) LiFePO4 battery with low-moderate current requirements (probably something like a 3000 watt inverter). Thanks for any input!

whafa asked
autox commented ·

7 Answers

Maximum length for VE. Can

I don't know if any of the engineers actually read this forum, but I'm hoping to find out the maximum allowable cable length for the VE. Can interface cables. I intend to build my own cables using high-quality shielded cable (probably Cat7) so the attenuation and interference should not be a problem. I only wonder what the maximum latency is...

I can find information on the maximum cable length on the VE. Bus. People on the forums are saying that they're having trouble with longer cables, but the literature seems to indicate that you should be fine as long as the total cable length doesn't exceed 100 meters. Therefore, I believe that these people would do better with larger shielded cables since the literature seems to indicate that they shouldn't have latency problems, but I have found no such literature for the VE. Can.

I'm trying to mount the GX 70 upstairs quite a ways from the battery room. I figured I'd just locate the Cerbo GX up next to the GX 70 location.

If anyone can help, or if anyone can tell me who to contact, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

kienan-maxfield asked
john-r-1 answered ·

3 Answers

Short circuit on VE.CAN bus?

i'm attempting to setup venus os on a raspberry pi and to connect it with a waveshare can hat to my RS smart solar.

A loopback from CAN0 to CAN1 on the raspberry worked excellent, communication worked and no errors are logged. Connecting to the inverter didn't work though.

I realized I didn't have a termination resistor on the inverter end (the raspberry board has one included on the board so thats why the loopback worked out of the box), so I made a canbus terminator .. and it burned up once I put it in the inverter. Literally sparked and melted away. I checked the power requirements out a bit and it should have been able to handle it, so I figured I messed up the terminator. I made a new one, that seemed to remain intact, but communication still didn't work.

Finally, I figured if the terminator is really no good I can use the raspberry at both sides, so raspberry can0 -> inverter -> raspberry can1. That would have 120 ohm termination resistors at both ends, and the loopback already was proven to work; this is just an extra node in between .. and as soon as I plugged it the second rj45 plug on the inverter end (same port that burned of the terminator before) it burned the raspberry CAN board.

I'm really confused, from what I read the CAN bus itself should be current limited and unable to damage itself even if you connect L to H, or even H to VCC. So even if I messed up the wiring (which I measured out before, 120 ohm termination confirmed on all parts), I wouldn't expect such catastrophic failure.

I'm ready to throw in the towel and get a cerbo gx with victron cables and what not just to get rid of the headache here, but I'm afraid the exact same thing will happen, if the inverter is actually the culprit and somehow the VE.CAN port is defective somehow.

Does anyone have an idea what went wrong and how I could check the correct functionality of the inverter VE.CAN port(s)?

patrickc asked
patrickc commented ·

1 Answer

Networking Many MPPT Controllers

I am installing a larger array on a boat. I intend to use a MPPT controller for each panel, but maybe one controller for every 2 panels. This means 6 or 12 MPPT controllers. I have a Multiplus and may buy a Cerbo GX... Or do a Venus on Pi Solution. Also in the system are several Victron LFP Batteries and a Lynx BMS, possibly a BM-712 Shunt.

This seems to hit the biggest area of weakness in Victrons lineup-- everything uses a different interface. But the MPPT controllers should coordinate so that they are all charging the batteries in sync.

How do I do this in a reasonable space? Do I have to use the Ve.Can controllers just for this feature?

rex2022 asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Vorgehensweise Inebtriebnahme Victron Gerätr

Hallo zusammen,

gibt es eine bestimmte Vorgehensweise wie man die Victron Geräte in Betrieb nimmt ?

Mir ist bewusst das durch die Vielfalt von den Victron Komponenten das nicht einfach macht grundlegend eine feste Inbetriebnahme Reihenfolge festzuhalten. Aber ich denke für die ein oder andere Konstellation gibt es bestimmt eine Herangehensweise wie man die Komponenten nach und nach einrichtet.

Meine mögliche Anlage könnte sein, 3x Victron MP2 und 4x Smart MPPT 250/100, Cerbo GX

Ist das möglich ein paar Tipps oder Infos für so eine Anlage abgeben zu können.

Gruß

mactoolz asked
mactoolz commented ·

2 Answers

Can you connect a Seplos BMS 48V 100A 16s directly to a Cerbo GX?

Hello!

I am trying to connect my new 48V battery to the Cerbo GX to see the state of charge in my Victron touch. I did the can connections following both manuals, and I have tested the terminals.

GND

CAN-L

CAN-H

CERBO GX

SEPLOS BMS

3/6

VICTRON TYPE A BMS

VICTRON TYPE B BMS

I see 2.5V in both can H and can L terminals, any idea of why I am not receiving any datas in my Cerbo GX?

ginesvadillo asked
Dilip Kumar TD commented ·

5 Answers

Mixing batteries with CAN comunication and not CAN in one busbar.

Is it possible to have LFP battery with CAN communication and the second one (also LFP) with no communication connected to one bus-bar with a SmartShunt for SOC calculation?

Can I choose to use SmartShunt for SOC calculation instead SOC reported by CAN?

The existing system is using a Pylontech type battery (Turbo Energy) and we have a good deal on 400Ah Winston cells ($50 a piece).

Can battery build with those Winstons, equipped with its own BMS, be added to the common bus-bar with the CAN connected battery?

marekp asked
Alexandra answered ·

5 Answers

Can-Bus Kabel

Hallo

Der Can Bus

CAN-H und CAN-L ist dieser nicht mit Rs485A und Rs485b vergleichbar

Danke

gexle asked
Mike Dorsett answered ·

1 Answer

CAN Interface Termination

We are currently using a cerbo gx with nothing connected to the CAN Interfaces. Is it necessary to terminate these please.

newtor asked
newtor commented ·

1 Answer

ESS "partly" working

System is a Multiplus II 5000/48 with a BYD B-Box pro 10kWh Lithium set connected to VE.Can on my Cerbo GX with the Can-speed set to high.
I have two PV-sets. One connected through a SmartSolar Charger VE.Can 150/70 connected to the second Can-bus on my Cerbo GX at normal speed. The second PV-set is connected through a BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/35 rev3 connected to VE-Direct.
The loads are covered by the batteries with both chargers working at top performance and the batteries are charged of course.
That works ok until...... the batteries are at 100%. Then the set connected to VE-Direct keeps working at top performance, covering the loads and bringing the excess to the grid.
But the set connected by VE.Can is switched off, not doing anything anymore:-(
And, as that PV set is normally producing the most power, this is kind of a bummer.... ;-)
Of course at the end of the day, if the set connected to VE-Direct isn't able to cover the loads on it's own, and the batteries are depleted a bit, the VE.Can MPPT kicks in again and start producing again until the sun goes down completely.
I changed an older VE.Can MPPT for the VE-Direct one and then a new menu-item appeared called Networked operation?!
With the VE.Can MPPT it says Group Master and at BMS controlled it says Yes.
With the VE-Direct MPPT it says Slave at Network status, Ext. control & BMS at Mode setting and Yes at BMS controlled.
I'm not sure if these screens have anything to do with the problem, but as the menu-item appeared after changing an OLD VE.Can MPPT for the VE-Direct one, I thought it could have to do with these problems. Before changing the OLD VE.Can MPPT, BOTH MPPT's were shut off when the batteries were full, bringing no power to the grid at all...
Is there one of you who had this problem and/or may have a working solution?

spithost asked
spithost published ·

3 Answers

Followers

194 Posts
156 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

wkirby
242 Points
nickdb
140 Points