question

florian774x avatar image
florian774x asked

Wakespeed WS500 / V.E. bus BMS V2 Compatibility ?

Hello Victron Community,

I have checked for the answer to my question on this web site as well as others. Had some YES with new updates and some say NO (older posts)

Application: Sprinter van

Will the below listed components work together as a robust system?

Wakespeed WS500 2.5.2 / Nation 280XP Alternator / V.E. bus BMS V2 / Cerbo GX / Multiplus II 12/3000/120-50 / 220 Smart Battery Protect / BMV-712 Smart - shunt / Analog + Alt. shunt / Lynx Dist. / (2) 330Ah Victron Smart Batteries

The Nations Alt. and the Wakespeed WS500 are available as a kit with RJ45 Cross cables to Victron (CAN) with Van P harness etc.

From reading what I could find in my search the V.E. bus BMS V2 will not properly integrate with the WS500 due to CAN verse V.E. in order to control the alternator. Where as the Lynx BMS uses CAN.

I have found many system schematics with the Lynx BMS but very few utilizing V.E bus BMS V2.

There was also some mention of a product update Wakespeed 2.5.2 and this would solve the integration communication issues.

I would prefer to use the V.E. bus BMS V2 due to space and size considerations.

Thanks for helping out a Lithium newbie!

VE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

With the VE bus BMS V2 each charger runs its own charging algorithm (bulk, absorb, float voltages and times and end criteria), there is no overall charging control from the BMS. so when the battery is full, each charger must gonto float including the Ws500. However, when the BMS needs to disable charging due to over voltage, high cell, low temperature or high temperature it sends a 0 charge current via DVCC so the WS500 2.5.2 firmware should now respond to this, although I would still wire the ATC output to the feature in wire. The Cerbo sends DVCC out on CAN and the WS500 now listens like any other Victron CAN charger.

The only proviso is I do not believe this was tested, only the Lynx.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

florian774x avatar image florian774x commented ·
Thank you for your detailed response.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources