Temperature Sensor Image

Temperature Sensor

I would like to add a low temperature (charger) cut off

I would like to add a low temperature (charger) cut off, Is that possible with my Victron system?

System-

RV, no solar

Charging-

Alternator to 2 - Orion-Tr Smart 12/12/30 DC-DC Charger Non-isolated w Bluetooth

Monitor-

BMV-712 with

500A/50mV shunt

Battery-

LiFePO4 200Ah

BMS-

To be determined

Question 2

Because my DC-DC Charger’s are Non-isolated I must use a common port BMS, correct?

michael-drabeck asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Will Multiplus temperature sensor information shared with bluesolar mppt?

I have a Multiplus Compact inverter with a temperature sensor connected to the battery. The multiplus inverter is also connected to a Cerbo GX device via ve.bus cable. In VRM Portal i see the battery tempersture info. I am planning to install a bluesolar mppt charger and connect to the Cerbo GX device via ve.direct cable.

Will the battery temperature also shared with the bluesolar to allow the mppt to improve battery charge process or it is better to install a battery temperature sensor in the cerbo gx too?

Josep morancho asked
nickdb edited ·

1 Answer

correct temp shown in console but incorrect temp sent via STS to MPPTs

Howdy all,

I have a temp sensor wired directly into my venus gx and it displays accurate temperature data in the console and VRM... but for some reason when I configure DVCC -> STS my MPPTs display erroneous temps (32F) no matter what. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong? All firmwares are fully patched.

Accurate temperature displayed in VRM:

[image]

Inaccurate temp displayed on MPPTs (32F no matter the actual temp):

[image]

thanks!

shinepuppy asked
shinepuppy answered ·

1 Answer

Question about load output and low temp cutoff with BlueSolar w/ rev2 smart dongle and smartshunt.

With the following equipment...

1. 500 amp smartshunt
    1. with optional temp sensor
  2. BlueSolar Charger MPPT 75/15
    1. with VE Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle Rev2

My understanding is that I will be able to setup the ve network over BT and setup low temp cutoff on the MPPT. (i don't have the smartshunt yet to try it)

My question is, would it be in anyway possible to control the load output on the MPPT charger based on temperature?

My use case would be controlling battery warming via the load output and only having it turn on below a certain temp. I know this can be achieved in other ways, but I thought since it has some other voltage based algorithms for controlling it, it might be possible. Would be a very slick way to control heating on lifepo4 batteries.

Thank you for your time. Really loving the software and capabilities of the Victron system.

Mike

mike-wesner asked

0 Answers

VE.Smart networking or DVCC ?

With a simple system, all DC without inverter but with a GX device + MPPT + smartshunt with temp. sensor and GEL batteries, which is the correct way to compensate temperature?

a) Enable BLE smart.network and join MPPT and smartshunt; or

b) Enable DVCC on GX device and select Smartshunt as the Battery monitor/ temperarture sensor

Or... both (not at same time) work?

Elimac asked
Elimac edited ·

2 Answers

STS Temperature Sensor Weirdness

Hello all,

It's starting to get cold here in Texas and I noticed some odd behavior this morning related to my low temp cutoff settings on my MPPTs and I'm hoping someone can help me resolve it. I have a venus gx with a temp sensor plugged in to the first port. The correct temperature displays properly in VRM and in the remote console. I purposefully set my MPPTs to cut off at 45 F to ensure temperature sharing worked. This morning the temp sensor read 42.8 F and my MPPTs were charging... yikes!

I noticed the following:

1. When DVCC -> STS -> temperature sensor is set to "automatic", the "Used sensor" displays "---" and my MPPTs charge the batteries despite violating my low temp cutoff setting. Further, when I pull up any of the MPPTs in victron connect, they do not display a temperature in the "Battery" section leading me to believe they are not aware of the current temperature and something has gone awry with STS.

2. When I manually select what I believe is the proper temperature sensor (there are several listed for some reason), all MPPTs incorrectly register the battery temp as 32 F as shown within victron connect and they stop charging my batteries.

Does anyone have any advice that might help me troubleshoot this issue? Desired state is to share the accurate temperature detected by the proper sensor connected to my Venus GX with all MPPTs so I don't kill my lithium batteries when it drops below freezing.

thanks!

shinepuppy asked
shinepuppy commented ·

1 Answer

Does the Victron sense automatically adjust temperature compensation?

Hello,

I purchased the Victron Temperature and Voltage Sensor with the presumption that it will adjust the temperature compensation values, however that doesn’t seem to be the case which is highly confusing, because otherwise what is the point.

My temperature compensation value sits on -16.20mV/C. Never changes, even in very low temperatures the MPPT 100/20 controller I have didn’t even use the internal temperature sensor to adjust the values, which is why I got this temperature sensor.

What’s happening? -can somebody please help with this. I’ve just purchased 2 new and expensive AGM batteries because my last ones pretty much died. Don’t want this happening again.

Note that temperatures at the batteries are ranging between 23 and 28C. So I expected to see some change in temp. Compensation.

Many thanks!

greenarc asked
rithym1964 answered ·

8 Answers

Multiplus 48/15000/200 temperature issue.

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine is running off-grid 3x 48/15K Multiplus, and 2 of them are linked as Master / Slave. Lately the master is switching OFF due to temperature problem (which is almost impossible as we are at 10C and a light charge is applied to them, less than 3kW.) The battery banks consists of 2 arrays of 48V/1500A (2V/1500A Hoppecke - 3kA available). No power is produced by the PV arrays, as it is currently the night.

It has started having this behaviour today, and we have checked the installation. When the temperature LED becomes red, we can hear the fans running full speed, but the air blown outside is cold.

I am thinking either a migh be a problem with a temperature sensor, or a fan which is just "dead" and that will not blow air into one of the areas of the Multiplus. Not even sure if it could be a dust problem, or if we have to check both master and slave, even the issue is reported on the master.

Anyone has an idea / procedure to determine what is the cause ?

Thanks for your help.

Michel

michelg asked
Petar Maksimovic answered ·

2 Answers

ASS000020000 TEMPERATURE SENSOR TYPE C not available?

I have a new MPPT Smartsolar 100V 20AMP controller, and want to stop charging my lithium battery below a certain temperature.

The temperature sensor will be connected to Lithium battery which is around 6Ft away from controller - I assume the wired sensor is 6ft long, and hence i dont need wireless.

I cant find the ASS000020000 Temperature Sensor Type C on a popular/cheaper ecommerce site such as Amazon. It is available on another site, but it is charging significantly more - for the sensor plus shipping.

Any suggestions?

Ash Win asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

How to report ambient temperature using Victron Shunt or SmartSolar to VRM portal?

I have a Raspberry Pi running Venus with Victron Shunt and SmartSolar. I'd like to also report the ambient temperature to the VRM portal. I have read that there are ways to add custom sensors using an AD converter. However, given Victron Shunt already comes with a battery temperature sensor input, can I use that input to report the ambient temperature using the Victron battery temperature sensor? Will it show only as a battery temp? Also, since SmartSolar has the built-in temperature sensor, is there a way to report that value or is it strictly used to compare the value to the battery temp to compensate?

Thanks in advance.

aslanhobbes asked

0 Answers

What Temperature sensor can I use with the Cerbo?
  • Hi, is there available information on what type of temperature sensor can be used on Cerbo? Thanks Knut

knut-vidar-paulsen asked
rlynch03 commented ·

5 Answers

Temperature sensing with the MultiPlus II GX and SmartSolar MPPT

I am looking at getting a 48V MultiPlus II GX. This has 1xVE.Direct port.
Was going to pair this with a SmartSolar 150/35. Communicates via Bluetooth and VE.Direct.

The MPPT will be close to the batteries but they are AGMs and I was thinking it would be ideal to have a battery temperature sensor connected.

The MultiPlus II GX should ship with a temperature sensor.

My questions:
1. If the MPPT is connected to the MultiPlus II GX via VE.Direct, will the temperature sensor of the MultiPlus II GX control the MPPT the same as if a temperature sensor was connected to the MPPT?

2. If the answer to 1 "no" - how would I approach monitoring battery temperature and voltage ideally with this setup to control both the MPPTs charging and the MultiPlus II GX's charging?

I can use the Bluetooth Smart Battery Sense to feed the information to the MPPT, but the MultiPlus II GX doesn't have BT. So then would I need a BT dongle for the MultiPlus II GX as well? And this would use the single VE.Direct port, so I assume I'd also need a powered USB hubs and at least two USB to VE.Direct cables? Those are a lot of adapters and cables just to monitor temperature simultaneously...

Or I could use the Smart Battery Sense to control the MPPT, and the MultiPlus II GX temperature sensor to control it?

Thanks for the help, let me know if any more information is required.

milbank2450 asked
klim8skeptic answered ·

1 Answer

Cable Size to extend length of Temperature sensor QUA/PMP/Venus GX ASS000001000 Extending cable length

I need to extend the length of the cable about 10 metres is there any suggestions please for cable size?

jcottis asked
michelg answered ·

1 Answer

What is the temperture measurement accuracy of Victron sensors?

I've purchased a new MulitPlus II with included battery temperature sensor but the sensor is reading many degrees high, while I'll be using the sensor on LifePO4 batteries the low-temperature reading is the most critical in my situation. What accuracy should I be expecting from Victron temperature sensors?

Can the temperature sensor be corrected with software?

What temperate sensor is glued into the battery sensor? is it just a simple LM335?

Regards

raymiller asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

5 Answers

Offgrid site - Controlling cooling FAN based on temperature

Hello,

I'm about to install a site that is purely DC - no inverter. We will have these victron devices:

MPPT - 250/60

Venus GX

Smartshunt + temperature sensor

The relay output of the MPPT is already used to control LVD, protecting the batteries from deep discharge.

I'm looking for a way to control a FAN based on the cabinet temperature. It will be very hot in summer, and we do have temperature measurements via smartshunt. However, I can't find an option to control the Venus relay based on this parameter. Is this possible or am I missing something?

Elimac asked
shaneyake answered ·

1 Answer

EasyPlus, VE.Bus Smart Dongle, SmartShunt 500 Temperature Sensing confusion

Hello,

I am playing in my lab with my new setup to be installed in a campervan. The setup is as follow (questions listed later):

200Ah LiFeP04 battery:

EasyPlus Compact 12/1600/70:

- Temperature sensing cable connected to battery minus pole

VE.Bus Smart Dongle:

- RJ45 connected to EasyPlus

- B- connected to battery minus pole

- B+ and T- connected to battery plus pole using cable "Temperature Sensor for BVM-702/712

SmartShunt 500A:

- Aux and Vbatt+ connected to battery plus pole using cable "Temperature Sensor for BVM-702/712

Interface MK3-USB:

- RJ45 connected to EasyPlus

Questions:

1) Temperature is being read in three places (EasyPlus,Ve.Bus Smart Dongle, and SmartShunt)

Can I simplify the cabling by removing some of the temperature sensors? I.e. can EasyPlus Compact use the temperature readings from either VE.Bus Smart Dongle or SmartShunt 500A? Please note that I will also add a SmartSolar MPPT75/15 and that one for sure will need either the SmartShunt 500A or the VE.Bus Smart Dongle for temperature sensing (using VE.Smart Network)

2) How come that the temperature cable from the EasyPlus has to be mounted on the negative pole whole the ones from VE.Bus Smart Dongle and SmartShunt 500A goes on the positive pole? Can I attach it to the positive pole as well. Since I am using the shunt, I rather not attach anything between the shunt "To battery minus" and the battery minus pole

3) on VE.Bus Smart Dongle the B- should be connected to battery minus pole (according to documentation)

Could I attach it on the side "To system minus" of the shunt? Again to avoid (as best practices) having anything between the shunt and the battery minus pole.

4) can EasyPlus Compact 12/1600/70 read from the attached VE.Bus Smart Dongle or SmartShunt 500A (using VE.Smart Network) to get temperature information and battery monitor status? I know I can enable "Enable battery monitor" in the EasyPlus, but how does it play with the other components? In general, can EasyPlus pull information from other components?

Thanks!

amidships asked
amidships commented ·

1 Answer

T-sense on MultiPlus II

(deleted part of this question as it was answered elsewhere)

When using a Smart Dongle with a Multiplus II, does the T-sense measure average temperature across the bank or only for the battery it is attached to?

Thanks,

Stephen

stephenh asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

No Analog inputs shown on cerbo gx.

Originally was showing temperature and tank options in menus. While installing resistive tank sensors the cerbo GX rebooted. now all analog options are blank. The tank over view page shows no tanks connected and no options for temperature sensors available. How can I get those items to show again? It seems like the cerbo GX hardware may have faulted out.

jayoung asked
svaeolus answered ·

1 Answer

Battery Temperature Monitoring

I have a MultPlus 3000VA and a SmartSolar MPPT 100/20. Which is the cheapest way to have these products self-monitor the batteries internal temperature and use that feed-back to adjust their operation?

kurtprit asked
kurtprit commented ·

1 Answer

MultiPlus: Disable Charger based on battery temperature

I'm currently building an RV off-grid system based around a Lithium Tesla Battery and MultiPlus. In the system is also a BMV 702, BatteryProtect 220 and Color Control.

As the Lithium Battery really doesn't like to be charged below freezing temperature I'm planning to have an automated heating pad that keeps the battery warm, but I would like to have a fail safe which disables the MultiPlus Charger whenever the temperature of the Battery reaches 5°C

My current setup is to connect the BMV-702 Temperature Control Sensor to the Battery and then connected the BMV-702 Relay to the MultiPlus AUX1 which controls the Charger via the Charge Assistant. This works nicely, but I was wondering:

1. The MultiPlus already has a Temperature Sense Connector plus the Temperature Sensor shipped, when I measure the voltage of the Temperature sensor I get a reading of 2.6V at 25°C. Is there any datasheet of the Temperature Sensor that I could use to configure the MultiPlus Assistant for temperature? I would really like to not depend on the BMV for the temperature measuring and best have the MultiPlus measure the temperature directly.

2. I found the new Shared Temperature Sense feature of the Venus/ColorControl: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2018/10/17/venus-os-v2-20-scheduled-charging-equalize-and-more/ which mentions:

the Venus-device will send the battery temperature to the connected Solar Chargers and Inverter/chargers.

But I don't see anything in the MultiPlus Configuration Screen to do anything with that Temperature or any other way that it actually receives the temperature form the Venus/ColorControl.

Plus just two other small questions:

1. Is there any way to see the current voltage reading on the MultiPlus AUX inputs? I'm having a bit a hard time to find the correct voltages to use in the Assistant

2. When I disable the Charger in the VEConfig all together, but then enable the Charger again via the Assistant based on the AUX1. The charger is actually running! That's a bit scary ;) Also which charge settings are used? I assume just the last settings of the charger before it was disabled all together?

schnitzel asked
benm edited ·

3 Answers

No temp readout on smart shunt

Hello,

I recently installed a VE temp sensor on a small system consisting of:

Battle Born 50 Ah battery, 295 watts REC panel, MPPT Smart Solar 75/15, smart shunt.

I do not see a temp readout on the victron connect app under the smart shunt or the MPPT.

Victron Connect v 5.47beta3

also tried v5.38 on my mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

scottsmithline asked
scottsmithline answered ·

1 Answer

MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 120 Temperature Sense error and Battery Temperature alarm

I have an ongoing problem with what seems to be erroneous High Temperature alarms on the Multiplus 12/3000/120-50.

The unit details:

Product
MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 120V

Firmware version 475

Last connection 5 minutes ago

Product id 2702

VE.Bus connection VE.Bus

Hardware configuration Single unit

VRM instance 0

Things I've done to troubleshoot:

-- checked all terminal connections... everything is tight.

-- manually measured surface temperature of multiplus, which ranges between 20C and 30C.

-- upgraded firmware to latest version

-- temp alarm doesn't seem to have a pattern for which it gets tripped. When the alarm goes off, there doesn't seem to be excessive load on the system.

-- I observed that the fan on the unit does not come on and I thought it was a faulty fan. I added a large load to the system by turning on the AC unit when inverting and the fan promptly came on. So, I'm thinking the fan is working as it should.

-- the unit is installed in a bench seating area, which is enclosed. I thought ventilation was a problem, so I added 4 cooling fans and external ventilation, still received alarms.

Any ideas on what else to check?

[image]

Dave Herder asked
neildilgee answered ·

5 Answers

2 Temp Sensors… Which one do I use?

The MultiPlus 3000 came with a battery temperature sensor (mounts to neg battery post) and the MK3 USB dongle has a built in temp sensor (peel and stick to battery). Which one is primary, or does the system use data from both? If it pulls temp data from both… I have a split bank (two battery banks in parallel) setup. Can I use both sensor on the same MultiPlus one on each bank?

coryhanes asked

0 Answers

Temperatursensor am Cebro GX über Modbus-TCP

Hallo,

in einem Schaltschrank wird eine Victron-Batterieüberwachung für die USV-Anlage verwendet. Diese soll verschiedene Daten über Modbus-TCP an die Steuerung im Schrank übergeben.

(Smart Shunt, Cebro GX, Touch GX und 4* Temperature Sensor Quattro, MultiPlus and GX Device)

Frage: Ist es möglich, die 4 Temperatureingänge vom Cebro GX über die Modbus-TCP Anbindung weiterzugeben?

In der Modbus-TCP Register List, finde ich nur die Auswertung für com.victronenergy.temperature, welche wohl nur einen Sensor liest?!

nils-g asked
netrange answered ·

1 Answer

Temperature Sensor

Hello Brains Trust

Would anybody know what sensor device is used in the temperature sensor Victron part no. ASS000001000

rayclout asked
rayclout commented ·

1 Answer

Measuring and Switching on Extraction fan based on temperature using the relay and a GX

Hi, I'm also trying to see if I need use a Thermostatic bimetal tempertaure sensor https://www.tro-pacific.com/collections/controller/products/thermostat-no-10-50-deg-c-61-x-34-x-35-mm

to measure the temperature inside an electrical box and connect this to CERBO GX Temp inputs to trigger a relay switch and turn on an extraction fan.https://www.tro-pacific.com/products/filter-fan-58m3-h-230v-50-60hz

Question:

1. Is this possible to connect this Thermostatic bimetal temp sensor to CERBOGX?

2. Do I need to use Thermostatic bimetal temp sensor or could use victron sensor somehow for this purpose? https://www.victronenergy.com/live/temperature_sensors

rikesh asked
kclendaniel commented ·

2 Answers

Low temperature cutoff for Smart MPPT and Quattro ?

I have a Quattro and Smart MPPT. Both would be normally connected over winter. I'm planning to have LiFePO4 batteries and want low temp charging cutoff for less than 5DegC. I also have a BMV-700 and am planning to integrate with a CCGX.
Can 1 temperature sensor tell both the Quattro and MPPT to stop charging below my cutoff ?
Which temp sensor and how/where should it be connected ? Or am I best getting 2 sensors one for the Quattro direct and one for the Smart MPPT.

peterbc asked
peterbc answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus temperature problem

I have a 12/3000/120 multiplus inverter charger linked to a 345ah Rolls agm housebank and start battery in a yacht.

The charger was set at 60amps by the installer. Year one in the uk it worked perfectly. Last year in Southern Brittany the overheating link would occasionally blink, even when the batteries were not warm to the touch. It was warmer in Southern Brittany.

This year in Galicia, NW Spain, temperatures have recently risen and I am getting this problem again, but for the last two days turning off for a while and back on again is not clearing the problem - but it has been over 30c in the boat.

My question is this - is the temperature sensor function programmable and if so could the setting have been set too low?

Or - could this be a faulty sensor?

If the problem is a programming setting, could I reset it? I recall that the installer had to download software onto his laptop to enable him to configure the charge settings.

Many thanks in advance for any advice preferred!

Regards

Paul

pavalijo asked
neildilgee answered ·

5 Answers

Followers

187 Posts
172 Users
3 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
223 Points