grid Image

grid

AC Cable sizing for Multiplus II 48/5000/230

Speccing out a home battery storage system using a multiplus II 48/5000 230v. Looking at the maximum AC in - this is rated at 50amps (11500va), so could be run in 10mm2 cabling, however if I've understood correctly the AC out side with powerassist could potentially deliver the grid feed in of 11500va plus a further 5000va from the inverter. So at 16500va (or 16.5kW) you would need 16mm2 cabling to feed back to the load side (consumer unit) - using online cable size calculator. Looking at the spec sheet the inverter only has 13mm2 terminals? So here in the UK, it's either 10mm or 16mm. 10mm is under-specced and 16mm won't fit in the inverters terminals. What am I missing?

flamegrilledmatt asked
danmc edited ·

6 Answers

Fronius + Multiplus + Pylontech grabbing 10% from grid, why?

Hi all!

I have a Fronius Primo 6.0.2 with a Victron Multiplus II and 3 Pylontech 3000c batteries.

And during this first week I've seen how the system is grabbing roughly 10% of the energy from the grid, when there is enough solar power and batteries. Is this expected behaviour?

[image]

jesusginard asked
Craig Robinson answered ·

1 Answer

Victron Quattro-II 48/5000/70-50-50 QUA482504010 certifications for german grid?

Hello,

as the Multiplus-II does not accept generators if configured for the german grid we need to use Victron Quattros-II 48/5000/70-50-50 QUA482504010. They can be bought in Germany but seem to lack certifications for the german grid.

When will the certifications for the german grid be available?

It would be sad if we have to switch to another manufacturer than Victron because of the lack of generator-support/certifications.

Thanx for any hint! :-)

renne asked
djangojan answered ·

16 Answers

Failed ESS grid set point following

Hi,

I using 2 multiplus ii 5000/48 in parallel and i disabled the grid feed-in from Ess and i set the grid setpoint 0 ..But he continues to have grid feed-in 30-200w...IS NOT ARROUND SET POINT.

With an single multiplus with the grid setpoint 0, feed-in it was accepatable 0.1-0.2kw per day , but with both multiplus in parallel is more than 1kw per day !!! i don't want this.

I found a temporary solution with setpoint at 100w+. But I don't want to take it 100w from grid when it's sunny outside or when I'm using the batteries.

My System: 2 x Multiplus II 5000/48 (paralell), 1 x Smartsolar Mppt 150/100, 1 x Smartsolar Mppt 150/70 Tr, Bmv-712, Venus Os 2.90, 3x battery balancer, battery bank 500Ah at 48v, 7.2kw solar panels.

Please help me to solve this problem. Thank you!

[image]

[image]

pfloryann asked
rata1 answered ·

1 Answer

ESS How to adjust Multiplus that it is only charging from grid when there ain't solar power?

ESS is feeding back to the grid and working fine but is still charging the batteries from the grid when there ain't enough solarpower. I want it to charge the batteries only in the night from the grid by scheduled charging and by daytime only with the mppt and not from the grid. When i set the multiplus in invertmode the grid gets lost and the feedin surplus solarpower stops feeding the grid. How can i setup ESS that it does what i want? Thanks in advance

thtruck asked
usernamepasswordbs commented ·

2 Answers

Grid Lost alarm not written to modbus register

Hi everyone!

I recently installed the following system:

3x MP2 5000
4x Pylontech US5000
1x Fronius Symo 15-3
1x Cerbo GX

I must say that I am really pleased with the quality of the Victron components and the documentation/knowledge available to do things in a DIY manner. However reading the modbus registers on my Cerbo I encountered an issue while testing.

I am pulling data from all modbus registers once a second. This data is written to InfluxDB and aggregated/downsampled to 3 minutes granularity. The 1s data is retained for 24h allowing me to do real time dashboarding e.g. to monitor alarm states.

[image]

Testing most alarms is difficult but the Grid-Lost alarm can be tested easily by pulling the main breaker on the Grid-Side aka AC-IN. The Cerbo reports a Grid-Lost Alarm about 15-30s after the grid was lost. The Modbus Register 64 (Unit: 227 or 100) should write a "2" for an alarm state but remains at "0".

Unfortunately this is not very confidence inspiring since I am building a whole alerting system that relies on these registers being accurate.

Does anyone have an Idea why the register remains at 0?

Thanks!

leoo asked
leoo edited ·

0 Answers

Victron ESS + ET112 = slow response

Hi,

Recently I've installed ET112 grid meter on my system (which was using CT sensor previously) and I've noticed that the Multi is very slow on response to load. Currently my system looks like this:

[image]

The grid set point is set to -10W. The multi needs a good 15-18 seconds to stabilize after large load kicks in and another approx 15s to stabilize after load drops off. Check the video from VenusGX (the load is switched on at about 16s of the clip and switched of at 43s of the clip):

Is that how it should be? The difference in the load is just about 1.4kW, why is it taking so long to handle that?

Previously I was using CT Sensor extended with Cat5e cable to over 25m long, the system looked like this:

[image]

The response to load was pretty much instant. I've recorder video using the same load as on the previous one (load switched on at about 10s and switched off at 23s of the video):

The system need seconds to stabilize

Also you can see a clear difference on the Grid use graph from VRM portal:

[image]

[image]

As you can see, with CT sensor the system is very close to grid set point, with ET112 grid meter it is way off and hardly ever stay close to set point. The situation is even worst during cloudy day when PV power is fluctuating (you cen see it on my other youtube video).

Is it normal behavior? It looks like Multi can handle this load easily, the problem seems to be in the feedback from the grid meter (or algorithm when ET112 is in use). Is there anything I can do to improve this reaction time??? Please advice.

Kind Regards

mysik asked
h-copter commented ·

16 Answers

Can I dump to grid when my batteries reach a certain charge?

Say my batteries reach 90%, can I trigger a dump to grid?

Am using Home Assistant and modbus for control.

groundattack asked
Alistair Warburton answered ·

1 Answer

MultiPlus-II Grid Supply Voltage Optimisation...

Hello all.

Please excuse some newbie questions. I'l trying to research some things regarding a (hopeful) install of a new MultiPlus-II 5000 + SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100-Tr + PylonTech.

This will be the first of several (mostly likely) questions. So I'd really appreciate any (constructive :)) advice offered.

I'm retrofitting SolarPV + battery in to an existing grid-only domestic configuration. I'm East/West slopes, so 2x arrays (E=4.14 kWp; W=3.68 kWp), so this is why I'm looking at the SmartSolar RS. I'm also seeing if I can determine the most appropriate entry-point Victron kit list, so I can hope to enter the Victron eco-system (rather than Chinese cloud-based!). I'm UK based.

My current config. is realtively straight forward: Grid -> 100A Grid-Fuse -> SMETS2 -> Grid-Isolator -> Voltage Optimiser -> Domestic-CU.

This particular question is about the continued need for the voltage optimser in a Victron solution. I have a GW-Energy eco-max Home (rated at 63A) which reduces my grid voltage to c230V supplying the whole house

If I were to intruduce the MultiPlus, can I do away with the eco-max? Does this unit perform "step-down" to the CU? If it does, then that implies to me that I can remove the eco-max and reduce complexity and free up space! I'm currently assuming it does?

Like I said, a newbie question.

Thanks in advance.

Roland.

rashdown-online asked
rashdown-online commented ·

1 Answer

Can my ESS produce reactive power to the grid?

I have a ESS with two Quattro and solar power. I have feed in excess power enabled.

This has been operating for two full months and the house meter has

1. 941 kWh Total Active energy consumed (from grid)
  2. 600 kWh Total Actve enery fed (to the grid)
  3. 40 kVARh Total reactive energy consumed
  4. 330 kVARh Total reactive energy fed

I can understand some consumption of reactive power due to some pump motors we have, but not the export of reactive power.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

macevedo asked
fatbloke commented ·

1 Answer

Multiplus II, 3-phase, ESS, Ignore AC

Hello guys,

I am from Czech Republic and I have following device setup:
3x MultiPlus-II 48/5000 in 3-phase configuration
DC coupled system with PV array (2 strings, 2 MPPTs)
Pylontech batteries
VenusGX - devices are connected to the VE.Can (Battery & MPPTs) and VE.Bus (Multis)

Next, the software configuration:
VenusOS version: 2.92
Multiplus-II firmware version: 500
=== Multis settings: ===
The same settings on tabs: General, Grid, Inverter on all Multis; Charger settings only on L1 Multi
Grid code: "Europe (EN50549-1:2019)" on all Multis
== Assistantants: ==
ESS on all Multis
generator start and stop (load & battery SOC conditions on L1, load conditions on L2, L3)
general flag user

Goal of configuring assistants:
To be able evaluate load on L1, L2, L3 and based on defined conditions set "Ignore AC" to off and take additional power from grid.

So far I have been working with a 1-phase installation - it has worked well. But in this 3-phase system it doesn't work, no reaction on any assistant conditions.

The question:
Is there any recommended/supported settings for this solution?

I have used mainly following documentation for my setup:
Victron & Pylontech US2000, US3000 and Phantom-S [Victron Energy]
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Venus_GX/en/index-en.html
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/system-design.html
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:grid-codes-and-loss-of-mains-detection
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Bus_Configuration_Guide/en/index-en.html
https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2021/02/02/victronconnect-parallel-three-split-phase-setup-and-more/

Thanks in advance for the responses and advice.

Lubomir Horna asked

0 Answers

Fronius ECO Inverter and Victron energy meter

Good day,

We are busy with finalizing a design on a 27KVA and 33KWP solar system where the main supply is about 110M from where the Fronius ECO 27 inverter will be installed. The customer will be expanding to a hybrid system later on but want to start with the solar inverter(Fronius) for now.

I was thinking as a work around for the RS485 communication cable over the 110M distance that we could go the following route?
3PH CT Victron Energy meter(EM24)
Zigbee to USB converter & Zigbee to RS485 to enable wireless comunication
Victron Cerbo GX with colour display
I can then integrate the Victron energy meter and Fronius inverter via the Cerbo and configure all on the VRM to handle the zero feed into the grid?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this and if it will work or not?

jacodutoit asked
jacodutoit commented ·

0 Answers

Grid Code Password

Hi All, I need to change the Grid code on My Multi-plus To "None" As I now intend to use it with a generator as well as other AC Source ,I am unable to contact the original supplier of the Multi-plus. Can any supplier supply the password ? I am at a loss here.

taz10002 asked
marconi commented ·

5 Answers

MISSING Grid code Germany: VDE-AR-N 4105:2018-11 internal NS protection

Hi everybody,

I am trying to setup my Multiplus 12/2000/80-32. I want to set the grid code to "Germany: VDE-AR-N 4105:2018-11 internal NS protection. But this option is missing. Has anyone an idea why this option is missing? Without setting it correctly my MultiPlus won't work correctly, right?

I did not make any changes so far. Here is a screenshot of my VE Configure.

[image]

Thanks in advance
Tobias

tobi79 asked
tobi79 commented ·

2 Answers

VE Configure 3 grid code selection password

I was able to setup grid code standard to Europe without password with VE Configure 3 on a "remote" file, but now if i want to disable it and set it to "none" it always ask me for a password, that is a bug right?

how to disable it again without the password? i cannot allow feedin, but i was playing first with ess and there was a must to have gride code specified...

asimko asked
lucca371 edited ·

4 Answers

323 Posts
269 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts