grid Image

grid

AC Cable sizing for Multiplus II 48/5000/230

Speccing out a home battery storage system using a multiplus II 48/5000 230v. Looking at the maximum AC in - this is rated at 50amps (11500va), so could be run in 10mm2 cabling, however if I've understood correctly the AC out side with powerassist could potentially deliver the grid feed in of 11500va plus a further 5000va from the inverter. So at 16500va (or 16.5kW) you would need 16mm2 cabling to feed back to the load side (consumer unit) - using online cable size calculator. Looking at the spec sheet the inverter only has 13mm2 terminals? So here in the UK, it's either 10mm or 16mm. 10mm is under-specced and 16mm won't fit in the inverters terminals. What am I missing?

flamegrilledmatt asked
Alexandra commented ·

2 Answers

Victron ESS + ET112 = slow response

Hi,

Recently I've installed ET112 grid meter on my system (which was using CT sensor previously) and I've noticed that the Multi is very slow on response to load. Currently my system looks like this:

[image]

The grid set point is set to -10W. The multi needs a good 15-18 seconds to stabilize after large load kicks in and another approx 15s to stabilize after load drops off. Check the video from VenusGX (the load is switched on at about 16s of the clip and switched of at 43s of the clip):

Is that how it should be? The difference in the load is just about 1.4kW, why is it taking so long to handle that?

Previously I was using CT Sensor extended with Cat5e cable to over 25m long, the system looked like this:

[image]

The response to load was pretty much instant. I've recorder video using the same load as on the previous one (load switched on at about 10s and switched off at 23s of the video):

The system need seconds to stabilize

Also you can see a clear difference on the Grid use graph from VRM portal:

[image]

[image]

As you can see, with CT sensor the system is very close to grid set point, with ET112 grid meter it is way off and hardly ever stay close to set point. The situation is even worst during cloudy day when PV power is fluctuating (you cen see it on my other youtube video).

Is it normal behavior? It looks like Multi can handle this load easily, the problem seems to be in the feedback from the grid meter (or algorithm when ET112 is in use). Is there anything I can do to improve this reaction time??? Please advice.

Kind Regards

mysik asked
mrrikp answered ·

16 Answers

Fronius + Multiplus + Pylontech grabbing 10% from grid, why?

Hi all!

I have a Fronius Primo 6.0.2 with a Victron Multiplus II and 3 Pylontech 3000c batteries.

And during this first week I've seen how the system is grabbing roughly 10% of the energy from the grid, when there is enough solar power and batteries. Is this expected behaviour?

[image]

jesusginard asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

Powercontrol prioritization

I'm about to get AC current sensors for grid (Victron external sensor) and for AC PV (Victron ac sensor) next week.

If I've understood correctly, this makes my Easysolar 2 GX aware of AC PV grid feed and I can utilize it to charge my batteries or power my "critical loads" or AC loads that are in my ACout (I've just now come to assume that without a "real" grid meter I cant really see them separately?).

However, I'm not sure if this will lead to also battery power being expended for my non-critical ac loads where I wanted to only use excess solar for them? Is there another measurement for ACout or how will this work out after all? Is it in any way possible to use both the external AC sensor (as "grid meter") and the internal one in ACin (critical loads)?

Kari Saaranen asked
Kari Saaranen answered ·

4 Answers

48v ESS system. Grid spikes and error light flicker (video)

Hi everyone

I'm having a bit of an issue with the grid going crazy. Here is a video of it in action

https://youtu.be/3ahDv2VilDo

This doesn't happen when I set the SOC to 100% and have grid power.

This is the setup

UK Mains power

1 X Victron Energy Quattro 48/15000/200-100/100 230V VE.Bus Inverter/Charger
1 X Victron Lynx Power-In
1 X Victron Lynx Distributer
1 X Victron Lynx Smart BMS 500 (M8) Battery Management System Bluetooth
1 X Victron Cerbo GX
1X Victron Touch 70
1 X Victron Interface MK3 - USB
1 X Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100-Tr

8 x Victron BAT512120610 LiFePO4 Battery 12,8V/200Ah Smart (for 48V 400Ah –
20KWh) (4 in series then in parallel)

Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks

obladeo asked
obladeo answered ·

3 Answers

VRM grid kWt counter

I have Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70 and Cerbo GX in my boat, and see energy flow in VRM. The kWh counter for solar and consumption work great. But the counter From Grid does not. I get the W measuring in AC Input, so the value is there, but the counter still not count. Any solution for make the From Grid kWh counter work?

tobben asked

0 Answers

ESS Self consumption Multiplus II GX

Hey,

I would love to jump into the Victron economy because I'm myself from Netherland and I hear only good things about these devices; I do have some questions though.

I would like to create a pure energy storage system where I can charge my system with my specific triggers (on/off), and be capable to let the ESS run in self consumption where it will assist my AC loads.

I want to connect this to my public grid so it can assist in my whole home when using loads; so that it will use my battery's first.

My questions:

1. ^ Is the MultiPlus II the correct device for those tasks?

2. ^ Will it be possible to do those tasks without an AC Sensor?

3. What happens when a black-out happens and the load on the grid/ac side is 3500 watt while the MultiPlus can only deliver 3000 watt? are there functionality so that it'll be shutdown and remain safe?

Laurens D asked
Laurens D edited ·

1 Answer

Multiplus II no longer approved for Austria grid?

Hi,

I have just noticed, that Victron Multiplus II approval is limited to 31.01.2023 for Austria according to the official site:

https://oesterreichsenergie.at/downloads/publikationsdatenbank/detailseite/wechselrichterliste-tor-erzeuger-typ-a

It seems, that it does not complain to OVE R25.

What is the plan from Victron side here? Will it be solved by a firmware update?
We need an urgent answer, please.

Thank you in advance!

zpv asked
zpv commented ·

2 Answers

ESS failover - unexpected behaviour from multiple brief (instantaneous?) power failures?

HI All,

Last week my ESS system was installed (Quattro, Cerbo GX and batteries).

We often have short/instantaneous grid failures, and within the first week, during a storm, we had three such failures in about an hour in the middle of the night.

The first Grid failure also tripped my main Consumer unit RCD (30MA) which caused other complications (and an alarm which woke us a couple of hours later when a backup battery failed). Note that this historically would also occasionally occur pre ESS (with these sorts of power failures) but i had hoped that the ESS failover would have avoided the problem so not sure whether the ESS failover contributed or not.

I have not examined log files before but have noticed a few strange entries. The ESS was in a scheduled charge window (started at 23.31) so 'active' at the time of the grid failures. There are a couple of instances in the log where for no apparent reason this goes 'not active', the VE Bus state goes into 'passthro' , alarm relays appear to be triggered and some data fields are blank. There are also several minutes of log missing around the third power failure. Note that ethernet connectivity would have been lost after the first grid failure when the CU tripped.

Note:The Quattro is set to 230Vac (UK standard), but my house is the first feed from a substation/transformer and has a fairly steady 245Vac (this makes the failover times in the log obvious from the voltage) but also raises the question as to whether I should set this higher (240Vac?) to avoid such voltage drops to the house supply on fail over?

In the attached log file I have added comments/questions to the first column . Would appreciate knowing if this represents expected behaviour or whether there is a problem that should be reported please?

Screenshot of one instance of some errors:

MTHGridFailure01NovSS1.png

Full log of events: MTHGridFailure01Nov.zip

Colin

colj asked
colj edited ·

3 Answers

Confusion Grid Usage

I understand the concept of zero'ing out all 3 phases, but in my current ESS setup (Setpoint 0W), I ran a trial with a 1.5 KW AC Load and a full 48V / 840Ah Battery and a little bit of incoming PV.

My expectation was to see 0W on the AC IN, but also 0W on L1, L2 & L3. Why is it showing the full watts on the different Phases of AC IN, when clearly the battery and the MPPTs took care of handling all the load?

Same goes for the To Grid and From Grid values in the Historical Data, which I thought would be zero.

Is this behavior normal or can this be adjusted somewhere?

Thank you.

[image]

[image]

andybierlair asked
nickdb commented ·

1 Answer

Victron Quattro-II 48/5000/70-50-50 QUA482504010 certifications for german grid?

Hello,

as the Multiplus-II does not accept generators if configured for the german grid we need to use Victron Quattros-II 48/5000/70-50-50 QUA482504010. They can be bought in Germany but seem to lack certifications for the german grid.

When will the certifications for the german grid be available?

It would be sad if we have to switch to another manufacturer than Victron because of the lack of generator-support/certifications.

Thanx for any hint! :-)

renne asked
mrfrodo answered ·

13 Answers

Total energy from grid is wrong in global system view chart

Hello,

Since few weeks the displayed total energy from grid in the global system view chart in VRM is wrong. You can check it by comparing it to the same field name in the consumption view chart. There is always a difference between this normally same fields. Other way to check it, simply sum all hour's energy from grid (the bar chart) and you see there is not according displayed total energy from grid in the global system view chart.

Best regards

daniel57 asked

0 Answers

Why does the grid set point let power in and out in an ESS system?

Hi all, I have an ESS system (Quattro, 20kwh batteries, Solar PV) and am trying to understand Grid setpoint and the quite large instantaneous fluctuations around it.

e.g when set to 20W, i'm seeing a range of 150W draw from grid to 100W feed in to grid (presumably driven by the variations in load and PV generation). I don't understand why these variations are so large.

Ideally I would like my grid setpoint to be 0 with little variation. If i set up in 'off-grid' mode then there would, by definition, be no draw or feed in from the grid (with the same loads and PV generation) so it is possible.

Does running off grid introduce inefficiencies in the system that the grid setpoint addresses/helps address when connected to grid?

Thanks, Colin

colj asked
colj commented ·

1 Answer

grid relay not closing

we have a 3phase supply, only using two of the phases. we have two Multiplus 2 48/5000/70,one on each phase with 10 x Pylontech us2000c batteries. we recently had a power cut and since then the mains AC in on the inverters won't come in. we also have a wind turbine fitted.

Also we have taken the inverters away and tested the grid relay offsite and its works fine, any ideas would be appreciated.

brianlee asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

EM330 - EM340 in 3x230VAC grid wrong readout

We installed an energy meter EM340 (in-line) grid meter and in another application an EM330 with current clamps. We see that if we program the meter to a 3P grid (3x 230VAC and no N), which still exists a lot in Belgium, that the Cerbo Measures 0VAC as line voltage. Therfore the internal calculation of power and consumption is not correct. Could this be a software issue from the Victron side? Because in the meter itself all values are correctly displayed.

Kind regards and thanks for the help.

bbossyns asked
bbossyns commented ·

0 Answers

306 Posts
254 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts