question

Gavin Kennedy avatar image
Gavin Kennedy asked

I am unable to stop feeding into grid

Hello fellow Victron people.

Unfortunately, my installer has gone 'silent' and is ghosting me with support :-(

There is SO much demand for off-grid and grid-tie here in South Africa at the moment that they can't keep up with all their new clients, and are neglecting existing ones.

victron-feed-into-grid-1.jpgBe that as it may, over the past weeks and months, my system has steadily increased the amount of power being fed back into the grid, despite every effort and setting to NOT do so.

Over the past couple of days, it's reached almost 20% of power generated :-(

I have three similar systems at 3 different addresses, and the settings are all the same, however, only this one location is experiencing this problem.

I've read the posts, I've tweaked the settings, as far as I can see, it's all correct, yet we're still feeding substantial quantities of power back, and even discharging the battery to do so.

Not what I want to do.

victron-feed-into-grid-2.jpg

Any pro advice will be greatly appreciated.

Merci

gridfeed-in limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
marcve avatar image
marcve answered ·

@Gavin. If you are sure everything is set exactly the same as the other two systems, restart the system and check the settings. You did not mention what inverter/charger you are using, but I noticed, using a quattro II, that sometimes it does not store the assistant settings correctly, or it is changing settings I made before.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Are you using an ET112/CT? Do you have all the loads on ACOUT? Ensure you have the latest version of the Venus 2.94 where you can disable DC / AC export.

2 |3000

christiaanh avatar image
christiaanh answered ·

@Gavin Kennedy did you manage to find a solution to your problem?

2 |3000

Gavin Kennedy answered ·

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

We have updated all firmware and triple-checked settings.
We've also done a full battery diagnostic and they are all 100% OK.

There is now *some* change in that they system is now not feeding a lot back into the grid.

*However* we now have a new manifestation of the challenge...

Irrespective of PV availability and battery charge, whenever there is *any* load on non-essential, at least a 1/3 (often 1/2) of that power is drawn from the grid. i.e. when my geyser/boiler turns on, even in full sunshine with battery at 100%, the system draws much of that power from grid.

Very frustrating :-(

2 |3000

Gavin Kennedy answered ·

P.S. the system was installed in December 2021 and worked well until around 6 months ago when this started. There were no hardware or wiring changes undertaken.

2 |3000

mickymac avatar image
mickymac answered ·

What happens if you adjust the grid setpoint to pull more from the grid, does this change the amount exported?

2 |3000

christiaanh avatar image
christiaanh answered ·

We are experiencing similar issues at three different sites, all running parallel inverter set ups and DC PV. Whenever there is a sizeable ac load during the day, and the PV's are generating at 50%+, it feeds back to the utility grid and it drains the batteries as well. We have downgraded the firmware on all the inverters to 4.98, and only one of the sites are not feeding back to the utility grid any longer.

2 |3000

acme avatar image
acme answered ·

Hey, Is there a solution to this problem? I think i have the same problem that i feed in from battery as soon i reach 100% soc. The MPII will flipflop from charge to discharge with around 800w ever few seconds and will feed in even though there is plenty of excess power from the PV.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic