bluesmart ip22 Image

bluesmart ip22

Use of one output on Blue Smart IP22 12V 3 channel as a +12V signal

Can I use output 1 for charging and output 2 as a +12V signal output to my CBE distribution board to detect whether the charger (i.e. camper van) is connected to 230V or not? Will the Blue Smart give constant +12V on output 2, or cycle between outputs, which will turn on and off the +12V "signal" in my case?

The reason I need this is that my legacy CBE CB516 charger had a "S" net +12V signal output to inform the CBE distribution board about the 230V connected state. This is used both to turn on the "230V connected" led on the control panel, and to administrate the charger relay for starter battery charging.

The legacy "S" net +12V signal was rated 50mA. Will the Blue Smart "push" too much current which may blow my distribution board?

If this is possible, will somebody please guide me through any important config settings?

terjeau asked
terjeau commented ·

1 Answer

Blue Smart IP22 12V 30A 3 Outputs

I'm hoping that someone knows, definitively, how this Blue Smart IP22 12V 30A 3 output charger (available as 1 and 3 output versions) handles the specific needs of each of the 3 outputs? Are they handled independently? For example each of the connected batteries are depleted to different extents, perhaps #1 only requires maintenance/float whereas #2 requires charging from a 30% state. I wouldn't be so concerned except that the VictronConnect app only shows single charging information (as though this was a single output instead of 3). It's a little difficult to envision a scenario when all 3 outputs should be handled as single..? Unfortunately Victron does NOT address this issue in ANY of their documentation. Also, is each output capable of 30A output (so for example the 3 outputs performs exactly the same as the 1 output version if only 1 output is being used)? Someone mentioned to me that they "thought" that the 3 output version was only capable of 10A per output channel, max, or perhaps 15A per output in the case where only 2 outputs were used.?

grayjp5 asked
terjeau edited ·

2 Answers

Need Help with Smart Shunt and Battery Charger configurations

Hello Folks, I recently installed the LiFePo4 batteries (2x100Ah) in my offgrid trailer with Victron Smart Shunt (500A/50mV model) and Victron Battery Charger (Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp).

The batteries do have built-in bluetooth as well and currently shows 27% SOC, checking individually since they are connected parallelly.

So my concern now is that when I have my shore power plugged in, it was in absorb state for few mins and then went to Storage.

Shunt does not show anything for SOC value and when I turn on the breaker it shows the -ve Amperage being consumed and nothing going in while its plugged into shore at the same time. When i have breaker turned off, it shows 0 draw being off, but shouldn't be +ve value be shown in shunt since its on shore right now.

I am attaching few pictures to show this as well and please see if someone can guide me through this config. I just want to charge them about 50-60% and then remove from shore as I am not taking my trailer out for now.

[image]

[image]

[image]

rmb asked
rmb answered ·

2 Answers

Ip22 3 output charger --> 2 outputs on the same battery

I know this seems odd and unnecessary, but is is ok to connect 2 charger outputs on the same battery bank?

I have a portable setup with 2 independent 280ah batteries that will sometimes be connected in parallel for additionnal capacity. I want to be able to charge them independently when they are at different SOC and use a disconnect switch to join them together after. This would also connect the 2 charger outputs together when doing so.

Any problems with sharing 2 outputs on the same battery? I think it will only balance the amps between these 2 outputs. Anyone tried this setup?

Thanks!

ian1977 asked

0 Answers

Blue Smart IP22 - Charging two batteries with separate stages?

Hi all,

I am considerding buying a Blue Smart IP22 charger with 3 outputs. I want to connect my starter battery and my consumer battery.

I am aware that the Blue Smart can only provide the same charge algorithm to both batteries, since it is only a single charger with three outputs. Therefore, the battery types must be the same.
However, I wonder how it works when the batteries have different states of charges. I.e. when the starter battery is almost full and should only receive float charge, while the consumer battery is empty and should be in the bulk phase.

=> Is the Blue Smart able to charge two batteries with different stages, or will it always apply the same stage to both? Or is it even connecting the batteries in parallel so they will equalize their SoC?

Thank you for your help!

Best,
Chrey

chrey asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Blue Smart IP22 charger auto start/resume charge after a power failure?

Hi everyone.

We are having frequent power outages and I plan on having the IP22 permanently connected to my backup batteries. Will the charger automatically start/resume charging my batteries when the power returns after an outage or would I need to manually start charging every time?

Thanx

cmpvictron asked
cmpvictron answered ·

2 Answers

Does a small battery backup require an ATS?

Hi all,

In my livingroom at home, I’m running a small battery backup for the TV, wifi and occasional laptop or other small device. The setup is: Phoenix Ve.Direct 12|375 standalone inverter, Blue Smart 12/15(3) AC charger and a 105 ah, semi-deep cycle lead acid battery.

Does this setup need an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) or can I permanently leave the charger in the wall socket connected to the battery, the inverter connected to the battery and the wifi + TV connected to the inverter?

Thanks

christoff83 asked
Kevin Windrem answered ·

3 Answers

IP22 30/1 connection and charging

[image]

Hi, I have an IP22 30/1 and have just connected it up to my small new build solar setup. I have not yet turned it all on as I need to confirm it is connected correctly. My question is:

I have it connected to the positive and negative of my bus bars to the same point as my MPPT charge controller. Is this the correct way to connect it like this? Also, (if correct) when I plug it into the mains to charge the batteries when needed can I still use the setup such as the inverter etc? Will it still charge the batteries if the load I am using AC or DC is less than the charger output?

I charged the batteries at 30a setting prior to building this up and it makes a loud hum/buzzing on bulk until it goes on to absorption. It's a lot quieter at 15a charge. I'm told this is normal but the manual states it is silent operation?!

Thank you!

scotty79 asked
dc4me commented ·

1 Answer

Blue Smart IP22: unsteady voltage reading during float, battery float voltage too high

I recently set up a small backup power system with a Blue Smart IP22 charger (120V input, 12V 30A single output version) and 2 x 100AH LiFePo4 batteries. Works fine for charging the batteries, however once charge is done and it goes into float mode, there's some odd behavior. Specifically:

1) The voltage the charger reports (via Victron Connect bluetooth app) appears to vary up and down almost randomly by several hundred mv. It never exceeds the actual battery voltage as measured by an external meter, but drops down below it a lot.

2) The voltage as measured on the output terminals of the charger, and at the battery, is quite steady, but much higher than the configured float voltage (13.7v measured by several different meters, where the configured value is 13.4). When the charger is actually charging, its reported voltage matches exactly with external meter readings.

3) Brief pulses of current from the charger when its reported voltage is below 13.4v, which stop almost instantly when the reported voltage instantly goes up to match the actual battery voltage (13.7v).

What it kind of looks like to me is something like a diode in series with the output of the charger, so when it's not outputting any current, some internal capacitor discharges and it sees a lower voltage than the actual terminal/battery voltage. This causes it to start charging, which brings that capacitor back up to the actual battery voltage and charging ceases again. These brief pulses of current are enough to keep the battery voltage above the configured float value, since the charger does not "see" the actual battery voltage when it's not outputting any current.

Does that sound about right, and if so, is this normal/expected behavior for this charger when maintaining lithium batteries under zero load?

tk-421 asked
tk-421 commented ·

1 Answer

Blue Smart Charger 24/17 & AVR Generator - Incorrect Absorb Voltages on Dirty Power

I am 100% off grid in Portugal currently in a campervan rebuilding a quinta. Whilst i have solar the weather has been terrible and i realised i needed a generator. I wanted a digital inverter type generator but unfortunately there is a shortage of generators here on the whole iberian peninsula and i frankly got what was a available which was a 4kw AVR type generator.

when running the generator when the charger gets to Absorb mode the voltage mostly never hits what has been set - sometimes it does happen, usually when there is sufficient sun for the MPPT to boost up to 29.4v>. however, at night I only ever see 27.5 to 28.3 regardless of current going in to the batteries from 10A to 2A. Its not voltage drop as have a BMV shunt and all the devices in a network getting readings on voltage and temp from the shunt. I minimised all the campervan loads and it made no difference.

A friend came over with their suitcase digital inverter generator and after running for a few mins the charger switched into Absorb and charged at 29.4v...

the generator outputs at 220 to 223v and freq of 51 to 53hz - its well within the datasheet spec but im missing something else that must be having an effect - i thought a powerline conditioner may help but i dont want to spend 150 euros and be in the same place - has anyone had similar issues and solved them?

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

offgridruss asked

0 Answers

IP22 skipping Bulk, straight to Absorption

I have 2x Victron Smart 100Ah LiFePO, managed by a 12/200 BMS & SmartBMV. I connected the IP22 today as they were at 50% (102Ah discharged). Usually the solar keeps everything topped off, but we've been somewhere shady for a week.

Bulk - 1m57s - 0.7Ah
Abs - 1h56m - 42.2Ah
Storage - 10m - 3Ah
at which point I pulled the plug.

I've checked the fuse. All the connections are good, straight on to the BMS. Voltages (currently 13.47 &13.48 with all cells balanced) are correct and agree on the different devices.

Reconnecting the charger again starts the process again; this time Bulk for 4s, then straight to Abs.

I think that this started when I installed firmware 3.40. It definitely didn't do it when I first purchased it in December. Looking at the History tab, it's only been the last 5 cycles where this has occurred. No changes have been made to the setup since December.

d-ebeck asked
olive-green answered ·

14 Answers

Using IP22 as a converter in an RV

I am setting up a moderate size solar setup in a new 5th wheel RV. It will use a 150ah x 48vdc battery bank, Multiplus II 48vdc/120vac, and 1600 watts of solar, with a serbo gx and monitor. It will be on 100% of the time we are using the RV. We will be using it with no hookups, 15/30/50 amp shore power or portable generator. By the way this will be my second go around. My current 5th wheel has a similar size 12v system.

It will have all the typical 12v draws, including a large 20 cu ft 12v fridge and disk brake hydraulic controller. To get around providing reliable 12v power I was thinking of using a single 12v x 100ah lithium battery and use the built in converter to maintain its SOC. It would be completely separate from the 48v system and only plug into the 120vac.

However, I own a Victron Blue Smart IP22 Charger. Would this be a good choice to opperate in place of the converter? Its max charging current is only 30 amps. Is this enough power? Would there be any advantage of adding a Victron smart shunt and/or a Smart Battery Sense? I know I could see the status of each on my phone but would they be able to communicate with the IP22?

Lou Cetrangelo asked

0 Answers

IP22 Charger charging at 16v+

Morning, I have a IP22 charger connected to a 120AGM battery along with a BMV-712. I had the charger set to 14.7 volts. When monitoring the charger etc it showed what I expected. I then enabled V.E Smart on the BMV and joined the IP22 to the network. It is sharing amps and volts. What I noticed is the charging went over 16v+ (disable VE and it goes back to 14.7). My Battery Protect said over voltage and disabled its output. The Voltage on the IP22 and Battery Protect said 16v+, but the BMV said it was 12.9 (ish). The SOC on the BMC was 100%, but i decided to resync it and then the voltages all dropped back to 14.7 and has been fine since. So my question is what happened as the IP22 shouldn't go above 15v (with the high setting)? Just a bit worried that it will happen again and potentially damage something. Cheers in advance :)

drewbie asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

1 Answer

Noisy and hot

I bought a blue smart ip22 charger 12/30 (3) charger and when i plugged it in it makes an awful and irritating loud buzzing noise, it also got up to 57 deg celcius and at this point i shut it down. There was no cooling fan operating and i want to know whats wrong with it?

phil6905 asked
tk-421 commented ·

1 Answer

Blue smart ip65 - cerbo gx

Evening,

Just a really quick question, can the charger 8n the subject be monitored by the cerbo gx over bluetooth and visible in the vrm portal?

Cheers

liam-holmes asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Followers

95 Posts
87 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

wkirby
170 Points
tk-421