Phoenix Smart Charger ip43 Image

Phoenix Smart Charger ip43

Phoenix Smart Charger 12/50 3x parallel, not full output on genset

Hi all,

I've got a 12vdc system setup in a trailer (component list below). I've got 3x Phoenix Smart Charger 12/50 1+1's in parallel charging a 1200ah battery bank. I've noticed that I get full output on bulk charge using mains power 150a up to abs charge voltage - the building I've connected to has a 20kw solar array & I've measured 250vac/50hz at a GPO.

I have an auto start Kubota 5ka diesel genset, setup to run off SOC. Which at offload idle produces 240vac/50hz. Onload it drops some RPM and produces 230vac/48-49hz (it is allowed to fall to 225vac/46.5hz before under volt/frequency alarm but doesn't under the load of the 3 chargers alone.) When the set is onload I've only ever seen 110a up to abs charge voltage.

Related components list:

- BMV-712 - VE Smart Network enabled

- 3x Phoenix Smart Charger 12/50 1+1 - VE Smart Network enabled

- Cerbo GX

- Kubota 5kva diesel with autostart controller

- Mains/Gen transfer switch

- 4x 12vdc 300ah internal BMS battery

Cable size, fusing & bussing is all adequate for the current & cable lengths. Have adequate cooling on devices, air temp in trailer while set runs is around 40c.

What could be causing this? Should the VE Smart network effect this?

My suspicion is that the lower voltage & frequency produced by the genset are causing the lower charge output. But I welcome any thoughts.

tg1 asked

0 Answers

Repeat Absorption Fail

I have searched all the literature and also the Victron Community, but I can't seem to find anything that explains why I am not seeing the charger perform the 7 day repeat absorption after being in storage for more than the 7 day setting.

The current cycle has been in storage for over 10 days. I would have expected that either a new charging cycle would have started at day 7 or there would be an indication somewhere in History indicated that it performed a repeat absorption cycle.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thanks

Paul

[image]

[image]

ip43user asked
ip43user edited ·

0 Answers

Adding additional charging capability to a Quattro with Skylla IP65 and/or Phoneix Smart IP43

2 questions:

1. Will a Skylla or Phoenix connected in parallel with a Quattro all connected to GX device honour total AC input current limit set?

2. Will the same setup honour the total battery charge current set on a GX device by a CAN connected BMS (Batrium in this case)?

I did post this on the Victron FB group with a lot more background but it just disappeared down a rabbit hole about the background rather than anyone being able to answer the actual questions.

elvistherv asked
Phil Gavin edited ·

1 Answer

Phoenix Smart IP43 Power Supply Voltage Too High

Just installed a 12/50 (120VAC) 1+1 Phoenix IP43 charger in our travel trailer.

We have two BattleBorn 100ah batteries we will charge with it and also use it as a 12V power supply for the trailer's DC loads when not charging. While in power supply mode I plan to leave the batteries turned off (disconnected).

I have the charger set to the factory LiFePO4 setting for charge mode (14.2V Bulk / 13.5V Float). While in charging mode with the batteries connected, the charger works as advertised, pushing right at 50A to the batteries.

When in Power Supply mode with the batteries disconnected from the system the charger works perfect as long as the output is set to 13.35V or less. The voltage does not fluctuate more than 0.01V regardless of DC load.

If I set the output voltage any higher than 13.37V the output voltage starts increasing all the way to 15V regardless if there's a load or not. I confirmed with a volt meter that the output from the power supply was overshooting the set point. I even tried it with the batteries connected and the voltage was still increasing way over setpoint. If I return the output setting to 13.35V or lower it returns exactly to setpoint and remains there.

What could cause the output in charge mode to start climbing when set above 13.37V? I wanted to run our trailer at 13.5V while the charger is in power supply mode, but that's not possible because the output runs up to 15V and remains there.....

01tundra asked
01tundra published ·

2 Answers

Phoenix Smart charger vs Blue Smart charger

I want to install a dedicated 12v charger on my boat. There are three battery banks, Bow Thruster, Service and start accu.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Phoenix Smart(3) and the Blue Smart(3), it look likes both can do the same, but it has a very different price.

Thanks

wilco asked
Bruno M answered ·

1 Answer

IP43, syncronized charging and DVCC

I am looking for some details and/or confirmation about the IP43 charger 120-240V model.

===========================================

When looking here,

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/ve-smart-networking-product-compatibility.html

it is specified that ONLY the 120-240V model supports both

• the data sense sharing (V and T) capability
  • the charge synchronization capability

The 230V model only supports the first one.

Q1: Is the information found in the documentation accurate and up to date?

============================================

When I am looking to the change log of the IP43 firmware,

https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware/file-download/?name=Phoenix%20Smart%20IP43%20Charger/Phoenix%20Smart%20IP43%20Charger%20firmware%20changelog.docx

the latest entry is about FW version 3.38. However, it looks like the 120-240V is only using FW 3.50.

Q2.1: Is it possible to update the change log document to know exactly what we have in FW version 3.50?

Q2.2: Is version 3.50 the initial release version for the 120-240 model?

Sometime ago, I posted few question regarding the IP22 rev2 and the synchronized sharing capability.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/99702/ip22-rev2-mppt-syncronized-charging-how-the-storag.html?childToView=100422#answer-100422

Basically, I will ask the same questions but for the IP43 (120-240V model only)

Q3.1: Does the IP43 120-240V model will always become the charge master if combined with MPPTs in a VE.Smart network?

DVCC vs VE.Smart network

In the VE.Smart network documentation,

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/limitations.html

it is said that DVCC voltage sense takes over voltage sense coming from VE.Smart network.

Let's suppose you have a system with an IP43 120-240V model and 1-2 MPPTs (being both VE.Direct and VE.Smart capable)

Q4.1: What about the "Synchronized charging" capability of the VE.Smart network when DVCC is enabled on the GX? Is it deactivated or still in function?

Q4.2: If it is still in function, does the current limit capability of the DVCC be used by MPPTs?

It is said here DVCC is not yet supported by the IP43 charger.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/144664/bms-ccgx-phoenix-smart-ip43-charger-the-dvcc-wont.html

Knowing the 120-240V model is using a newer FW (3.50)

Q5.1: Is it true for 120-240V mode? (.i.e DVCC not supported)

Q5.2: What is not supported exactly? Everything (voltage sense and current limit capability)? Or just the current limit capability?

Thanks!

-François

gyzko asked

0 Answers

Which Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger for sailing yacht with AGM batteries?

Hi

I have a sailing yacht with a domestic bank of 3 x 85Ah AGM batteries, and an engine start of 1 x 85Ah AGM battery. I need a new charger and am looking at a Phoenix Smart IP43, but am not sure whether to go for 30A or 50A, or for a 1+1 output or a 3 output. The batteries 'preferred charging current' is 17A, so with 3 in parallel in the domestic bank, I assume the 50A would be better? For the engine start battery, does it matter with I use the low current output of the 1+1, or a 'normal' output of the 3-output. Does anyone know what the voltage is on the low current output of the 1+1? Any advice from those with experience would be most welcome! Thank you, Richard

rstokes101 asked
simoly answered ·

1 Answer

phoenix smart IP43 charger

Hi,

Does the phoenix smart charger forward the data to NMEA 2000?

I can see it in the Cerbo which displaying all info(via VE direct), but not in the NMEA network.

edwin-earthcruiser asked
edwin-earthcruiser edited ·

0 Answers

BMS+ CCGX+ Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger the DVCC won’t work?

Hi

I have a system that consists of REC BMS + CCGX and Phoenix smart charger IP43. The BMS and Charger is connected to CCGX through CAN and VE.Direct. I have activated DVCC and defined the limit (CVL, CCL, DCL). When I then want to charge the batteries, the Charger will not follow the limit set in DVCC. CCGX ends up giving Alarms (high voltage, high current, etc.).

Is Phoenix Smart charger compatible with DVCC??

IS there any settings I have not activated? Is there any settings I have overlooked?

How does Phoenix Charger charge the batteries when DVCC is activated?

Equipment:

Phoenix smart Charger 12 | 30 (1 + 1) fv v3.31

CCGX fv v2.87

REC BMS v2.6

thanks

tareq asked
johanndo edited ·

4 Answers

Phoenix Smart IP43 relay be controlled from Cerbo GX?

I currently have a Cerbo GX setup in my network. I am looking to install one of the new Phoenix Smart IP43 and see that it has a programmable relay. I would like to control the Phoenix programmable relay from the Cerbo. Checking to see first if the support is there for:

Q1: Does VE. Direct even support the ability to program the Phoenix relay?

Q2: If yes to Q1. Does the Venus OS for Cerbo support the ability to control the Phoenix relay remotely (on/off)?

Q3: If yes to Q2: Does the Node-Red plugin for Venus support the capability in Q2?

murphy-r asked
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

3 Answers

Vehicle setup with comms

Is there a simple way to get information from the following components in a vehicle installation which is then easy to visualize?

- Starter battery with house battery

- MPPT for solar charging

- AC charger (is Phoenix Smart better then BlueSmart)

- Orion DC-DC for charging from starter

- ONLY DC loads - no inverter

So how do we go about assisting the client in understanding where and how their charging is coming from and what their loads are?

The Cerbo makes sense, but both Phoenix Smart and Orion don't have comms to the Cerbo

Would a Smart Shunt positioned a) between batteries and b) on the house battery help? But then can they both relay info the Cerbo screen?

While the Cerbo works well with larger systems with inverters and generators / grid, is there something similar for smaller vehicle installations?

Stuart Bell asked

0 Answers

Right 230V charger for Lithium battery with BMS

Hi

I’m currently planning the electrical design for my camper van and it looks as follows:

• My battery is a 12V 100Ah Lithium Smart battery (LiFePO4)
  • Orion DC-DC charger is used to charge the battery from the alternator
  • MPPT 75/15 is used to charge the battery from the solar panel
  • Battery protect is used to disconnect DC Loads
  • Phoenix inverter is used for 230V loads
  • smallBMS should disconnect chargers or loads independently

Now there are two 230V chargers i could use. I already got the Phoenix IP43 230V charger, because it has an remote on/off switch which can be connected to the BMS. There is also the Blue Smart charger which can also revive dead batteries, but it has no remote on/off connection. So it would require a Cyrix-Li, if I got it right?

The question now is if my setup in general looks ok and which 230V charger fits better. I don’t really understand the differences between them except IP rating and the ability to revive dead batteries.

schreda asked
schreda edited ·

0 Answers

Phoenix Smart Charger restarts continuously without battery

Hi,

I use the smart charger to charge different batteries, to achieve this i code a program to manage the charger via VE.Direct HEX protocol.

When im not detecting current or the cahrger charger or status is in Storage mode i deactivate the charger via SoftSwitch.

The issue is when the Smart Charger is OFF via SoftSwitch or via Remote wire and doesnt have a battery plugged, the Smart Charger restarts itself continuously, i can observ this in the leds on the charger that blink all at once and in the VE.Direct comms i see an unresponsive behaviour, the HEX protocol commands doesnt get responded and text messages doesnt show in about 5 seconds.

I see other post with similar issue https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/36954/phoenix-smart-ip43-charger-constantly-restarting.html

Any idea of what happens?

Maybe the charger doesnt work well without a battery permanently conected?

danirpg asked
danirpg edited ·

0 Answers

48V version of Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger

Any rumours of a 48V version of the Phoenix Smart IP43 Charger in the pipeline? Looks like it would be ideal, and there is a real market gap there for boats travelling between 110v/60 and 220/50 countries.

rdcat asked

0 Answers

IP43 phoenix 230V fault 27

Hello,

I have a few of these units in parallel (was told it was okay from communication with victron staff). Anyways, today I'm getting an fault #27 on one of the chargers. When I did a search, I see that some of devices firmware were updated due to a false-positive fault #27. I don't see any short. I have a 2ft 8 awg cable from the charger to the busbar. Any ideas?

woer123 asked

0 Answers

19 Posts
19 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

Phil Gavin
50 Points