SmartShunt Image

SmartShunt

v2.90 problems - how to revert back to v2.80? - 2nd Smart Shunt missing from VRM and alarm log full of low battery warnings.

As per the title, We have an EasySolar II 48/3000 in parallel with two Multiplus II 48/3000. I upgraded the built-in GX device to v2.90 specifically to get the generator start/stop functionality. Despite every piece of Victron information I could find saying this would work - it turns out that the EasySolar range of products do not have the additional relay required.

I have also now discovered that since the upgrade, our 2nd Smart Shunt that monitors our wind turbine has disappeared from the VRM Dashboard. I can connect to it remotely using VictronConnect and it otherwise works as it should.

The second problem is the alarm log for the battery is solid orange with low battery warnings - something that has only started since the upgrade.

Is it possible to revert back to v2.80 as this update has caused so many problems for us - and didn't give the extra functionality promised.

Thanks, Ben.

bgardiner asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) commented ·

4 Answers

Issues with smart shunt?

Hi folks,

I recently installed a 24/5000 multi on a none Victron LiFePo4 pack, 300AH by the spec.
6 Ultramax 100Ah at 12.8V Nominal in 3 strings.

I added a SmartShunt connected to the Cerbo Via VE.Direct.

The Smart shunt is set up as the Battery monitor, charging is only via the Multi, the Cerbo and my WiFi/Ethernet network kit is a DC load. Nothing, other than the shunt is connected to Bat -.
Currents and voltages look reasonable.

I have two issues. (And little idea what to ask)

1) The console seems to report erratic DC load as max as +50% and -100W. The network power requirement will be fluctuating but the power meter on the buck converter that supplies it never gets anywhere near 200W peaks I see on the console.
There is never a DC charge current that isn't coming from the Multi, so I am assuming DC load should never be negative, is that right?

2) My system has shut down a couple of times with the battery capacity showing a little over 50%
The shut down is due to the batteries internal BMS protection tripping, at 9.5V!! Although I could mitigate that with a low voltage disconnect setting/logic it isn't going to help with the capacity meter error. The multi is set to disconnect at 21V, which I am about to lift, but at 21V the DC load still pulls the battery down quickly when the inverter is off.

I have 90A Bulk to 28.8V Absorb and then 27.6 Float set in the Multi, 'Charged Voltage' was originally a little low, its now 27.4, but the tail current was set to 3%,so 3A, which the pack is always well under by the time the 1Hr Absorb time has passed.

Looking at the history, the deepest DOD was 88% which if it accurate suggests my batteries are not matching the spec. Possible I guess. However it doesn't explain the low voltages and internal BMS disconnects at above 50%, metered.

What I need to know is if I am missing something? Because if I am not then the only other explanation is that my batteries are only holding about 55% of the rated capacity which is an argument I ma not looking forward to having with the supplier.

I am unsure how to proceed here. It would be great if someone pointed out how silly I am being and which settings I have wrong. Failing that some a advice on the best way to run a capacity test would be good.

Currently I have the battery monitor in the Multi disabled, assuming the Smart Shunt was a better option. However I am questioning that decision and now wonder if I am missing some fundamental point. Looking at the documentation again I am not even sure now if 'Has DC' should be on or if it will work as I thought.

I have attached a Lash Hour screen cap from VRM showing the negative DC load reading and what the rest of the system was doing at the time.

Happy to look silly here folks but need some help.
Cheers,
Al

[image]

Alistair Warburton asked
ludo answered ·

10 Answers

Suggestions for improving Victron Connect

hello, after 2 years of use and study I noticed 2 things that Victron products can improve a lot with little effort.

1) the count of the cycles of the smartshunt and of the various models of BMV.

A cycle is only counted under 65% ..

This is incorrect in my opinion for lead acid batteries one should count a cycle even at 90% or 85%.

IN my RV the system is correctly sized, the batteries are agm for 178ah, and the photovoltaic of 450 watts.

I live in a pretty good climate and never run out of batteries below 80/85%.

So no cycle counts, apart from synchronizations.

This also leads to an inaccurate reading of the average discharge.

In fact, the average discharge is based on cycles and not on synchronizations.

In fact, I have average discharges of 25/30 ah and this is not detected, since my battery pack is 178ah and I never discharge below 65%. actually never below 80%.

2) it would be nice if the victron Connect app for the smartsolar also displays the internal temperature of the solar controller.

This temperature is certainly detected by the smartsolar but is not displayed.

3) it would be nice in the "trends" section to be able to cross the curves of 3 values and not just 2.

For example "battery voltage + battery current + soc".

it would be nice if the AH count was implemented in the historical trends of the smartshunt. Instead it is the only data that is only available in real time.

4) it is a pity that a small economic accessory is not available that records in a memory all the data of historical trends in CSV format to be exported.

The trend is only available on the App for 46 days and the possibility to save the history every 30 days (but only manually) from the smartsolar.

When I had the Epever-based system, a simple object costing 20 euros would record months of data at a time in. CSV.

I hope these suggestions can be taken into consideration, at least in part… at least the talk of battery monitor cycles.

Fra asked

0 Answers

Cerbo GX causing MPPT's to cut out periodically

Hi all,

In summary, I have a setup as follows. I appreciate this may not be all of the information you require to assist with my problem, so please ask further specific questions and I will gladly provide further info.

- 8x LEOCH DT126 6V traction batteries: 2x parallel strings of 4x 6V batteries - 24V, 480 Ah total.

- 2x Victron 100/30 MPPT, each with 2x 460W panels in parallel with a Voc of c. 49 V (so well within the capabilities of the MPPT). 4x panels in total.

- 1x Victron SmartShunt 500A with mid-point voltage monitoring enabled.

- 1x Victron Cerbo GX.

Everything is VE.Smart networking enabled and communicating.

I am experiencing an issue with the SmartShunt "cutting out" (audibly "tripping") every 20 or so seconds, during periods of high sun intensity when both MPPT's are enabled. When it "trips", charging stops and the mid-point alarm activates (in excess of 2.00%), with values of approximately 15.00%.

If I disable one of the two MPPT's (either of them) at a time, then the system "works" and the SmartShunt does not "trip".

This suggests to me that the combined power output of the two MPPT's may be the cause of the problem, however I genuinely can't see why this might be the case. We are only talking a maximum power output from the two MPPT's of 60A peak.

What are the possible causes of a SmartShunt "tripping"? I have researched this endlessly and cannot find any answer as to under which conditions this should happen, presumably as a protection mechanism. Is it tripping *because* of the mid-point deviation alarm, or is the mid-point deviation alarm a *result* of whatever is causing it to trip? My belief is that it is the latter.

I look forward to your thoughts and advice. Many thanks, Tom

Tom Ranson asked
Tom Ranson commented ·

4 Answers

Ist der EM24 (EM24DINAV93XISX) von Carlo Gavazzi kompatible mit dem MultiPlus II GX / ESS

Hallo an all,

leider finde ich in der Victron Dokumentation und auch im Web keine klare Aussage. Somit hoffe ich, dass Ihr mir hier weiterhelfen könnt.

Ist der EM24 (EM24DINAV93XISX) von Carlo Gavazzi als Smart Meter in einer ESS Installation mit dem Victron RS485 zu USB Interface 5m Kabel an einen MultiPlus II GX kompatible?

Da es im Moment Lieferschwierigkeiten gibt und der Victron EM24 erst wieder ende Dezember oder ab Januar 2023 verfügbar ist, würde ich auf dieses Gerät ausweichen wollen.

Gibt es hier Erfahrungswerte und evtl. bestimmte Bedingen die eingehalten werden müssen?

Danke für Eure Hilfe

Gruß Zinny

zinny asked
lorenz answered ·

3 Answers

Shunt not same reading as Ultimatron

Hello,please find my wiring diagram. The issue is the reading of the shunt is not the same as the Ultimatron, over night the soc of the battery can go down but the shunt will not have the same reading. Also the mppt over charges the battery and the bms kicks in to stop the charge from the mppt

Thank you for your help

[image]

andy13 asked
snoobler edited ·

3 Answers

SoC jumping to 100% in minutes.

My SoC is jumping to 100% every day at around 2:44am.

This behaviour is new and I did not change any settings the last few weeks. I think this could be firmware-update related, due to some similar threads I found here.

The BMS is just for Cell protection. I use the SmartShunt 500 to measure the SoC.

The drop-off of the SoC after the 100% is me manually adjusting the SoC via Victron Connect on the SmartShunt.

[image]

[image]

[image]

This figure shows, that the voltage is acting normally.

[image]

Single Cell Voltage over a period fo 12hrs

[image]

Meno Himmelreich asked
Meno Himmelreich commented ·

3 Answers

Orion Smart Tr sizing and related questions

Similar to a few other posts, I want to add an Orion Smart Tr to my boat for running a LiFePO4 house battery in parallel with a Lead Acid starting battery. The LiFePO4 is replacing a Lead Acid that has a common ground with the two other starting batteries. My engines are Yamaha F200s that have charging systems with 50 amp max output. Through other research I've read recommendations to conservatively subtract 10 amps for engine needs (40 amps left), subtract 25% of my paralleled lead acid battery capacity for its amp draw (25% of 80 amp-hours is 20 amps). End result - 20 amps left for DC-DC charger and LiFePO4.

1. So it seems like getting the 12/12-30 would result in too much potential current draw on the Yamahas charging system, and I should purchase the 12/12-18 instead (and with little margin). Does this make sense?

2. Currently the lead acid house battery is charged through the aux connection of one of the Yamaha charging systems. Since the house will now be paralleled off the starter battery, I would connect this aux line to the same battery switch port as the the main connection from the same battery (similar to when the switch is currently in combined mode). Don't think this would help or hurt, just didn't want to leave it floating. Make sense?

3. Since there is only a 12/12-18 "isolated" model, I would do what others have done and share a common ground with both sides of the DC-DC charger. Also wondering if this is going to eliminate my desire to use a SmartShunt to capture current draw, etc of the LiFePO4 (a secondary concern). Thoughts?

I also have installed a NOCO Genius 3-Bank battery charger that has a configurable lithium profile I will occasionally use, but liked the configurability of the Smart Tr to be able to selectively turn on when I'm out in the water once the Lithium is down to a lower SoC, limiting the number of recharges. Seems like this will prolong battery life.

Thanks in advance.

skilargo asked
dc4me commented ·

5 Answers

Smart Shunts disappear from Cerbo on VE Direct/USB

Hello, this is the 2nd time I have lost a Smart Shunt from my VRM console.

I have 10 banks of batteries (each bank is a pair of 12v/206Ah SOL batteries, for a 24v/206Ah bank) Each bank has a smart shunt attached to monitor charge, voltage, current in and out, temperature and general condition of the pair of batteries making up the bank.

Each shunt is connected via a VE Direct/USB cable to a USB hub, and the HUB is wired to a Cerbo GX,. I have 2 such hubs, each connected directly too the Cerbo. One HUB holds 6 VE Direct/USB shunt cables, the other 5. This week, shunts labelled 4-5-6 disappeared. VRM shows they haven't been seen in 5 days. Using the Victron Connect Bluetooth app, they show up fine.

This happened to me last year, when one shunt disappear for several days, only to randomly rep-appear a few days later. My gut feeling is something is amiss at Victron server end, and perhaps the VRM instances are being misconfigured or blocked.

anyway, its very annoying, and any ideas what to try? (I have already tried plugging one in directly to a Cerbo USB port, disconnecting the cable completely. Replacing the cable, rebooting the Cerbo)

thank-you

Graydon asked
xl5 answered ·

2 Answers

Lynx Dist with 2 strings of batteries

I currently have a single string of AGM batteries wired for 48 V. 4x12 200ah. Runs to the Lynx dist in the usual fashion with a Smart Shunt at the batteries before the Lynx. I want to add a second string of identical bats for 400ah. I have an extra connection in the Lynx. Should I run the second string to the Lynx and make my parallel connection for the two strings there? Also, would I need a second Smart Shunt for the second string since its an ESS system? What is best way to do this?

Thanks!

duswami asked
Jeff Jensen answered ·

4 Answers

SmartShunt 500A/50mV “No Devices Found”

[image]

I installed this device inside my battery box for a travel trailer. The battery is a RENOGY RBT100LFP12S 100A Lithium battery.

These were installed together in late June 2022. Everything connected and worked at the time. Late August I noticed the app no longer had the device or any device listed.

It was still in my Bluetooth list. I tried to connect and it did not work. I deleted it from the list. I restarted my phone. I deleted and then added the VictronConnect App back to my phone.

I then disconnected all the wires from the SnartShunt and waiting a while and reconnected everything. The App still cannot find the device.

I am at a loss. This device was not cheap. It worked for only a month or so. Really would like some help and or advice to get it working again.

1211fred asked

0 Answers

Smart Shunt current setting

Hi I have a redarc bcdc1240 charger with solar input, the redarc is a 24v input, which is charging a 12v Lithium battery, the current through the shunt only shows about 16 to 20 amps where as a current clamp shows 40 amps current, is the smart shunt, is there a setting I can change to allow for current input

stuvictron asked
klim8skeptic answered ·

3 Answers

SmartShunt Positive Lead Length

I need to add some wire to the positive lead going to the battery so I can install the shunt in a weatherproof/waterproof area. Is this a problem?

n6wt asked
pwfarnell edited ·

1 Answer

Understanding smart shunt

Hi,

I'm trying to decipher what this scenario means for my battery health/true capacity (battery is DIY LiFePO4 48v 304AH battery)

Sytem has been running for awhile and note none of this is done is perfect conditions just normal house powering usages so may be due to normal percentage movements but seems too repeatable for that.

Victron states 100% then I fully discharge to 0% (confirmed 0 based on voltage) then i recharge however now the battery is full at 93% (ie fully absorbed). AFter a certain time it jumps to 100% i assumed the smart shunt it syncing itself.

I'm trying to understand what that means in terms of my battery. If it was the other way around and the battery BMS disconnected the battery at say 7% per victron then I would assume that my battery is 7% under 304ah due to degradation etc.

However it goes down to 0% smoothly ie no jumping which makes me assume smart shunt is not applying any corrections close to 0%. However at almost full it does.

So 100% -> 0% then back to fully charged and i end up at 93%. Does that mean my battery is greater than 304ah and I've been lucky with the cells I've purchased? It's almost as though i can discharge more than i can charge. Or am i simply missing the correction closer to 0% and infact it is just a case that my battery is 7% less than 304ah.

Thanks,

Matt

matt1309 asked
matt1309 commented ·

3 Answers

Cerbo GX Calculate Battery SOC from Multiple Shunts/Inverters

Is it possible to keep track of the system SOC using both VE.Bus/VE.Direct inverters and chargers and a SmartShunt connected to a Cerbo GX? No current is flowing in the system without going through either an inverter or a shunt (but not both), and the Cerbo has all of that information.

The manual is a bit vague but mentions that using a SmartShunt as a DC Energy Meter in DC System mode has an effect on some calculations, much like the calculation that the Cerbo makes when showing the DC System voltage in a system with a main battery shunt.

"When configured as type “DC System”, the GX does more than just recording and visualisation:
1. the power shown in the DC system box is the sum of power reported by all SmartShunts configured as such. Allowing multiple meters is done to accommodate for example a catamaran, so you can measure the DC Systems on Port hull and on Starboard hull.

2. the DC System Current is being compensated for when setting DVCC charge current limits to Multis, Quattros and Solar Chargers. For example when a load of 50A is being measured, and CCL by the battery is 25A, the limit given to the Multis & Solar Chargers is 75A. An improvement for systems with significant DC loads such as Yachts, Coaches and RVs."

The configuration in this case would not be Batteries>SmartShunt>Inverters/Loads/Chargers but rather Batteries>Inverters and Batteries>SmartShunt>Loads/Chargers

I've been told that this is not possible, if that is indeed the case how would I go about making a feature request? It seems like a very useful feature especially for large systems.

kw4np asked
kw4np answered ·

4 Answers

548 Posts
310 Users
4 Followers

Topic Experts

kevgermany
597 Points
JohnC
413 Points
snoobler