SmartShunt Image

SmartShunt

SmartShunt 500a Aux Starter low

I have the Aux port wired to my generator battery 12vdc starter battery and it was reading correctly. I ran an update and now the voltage is readin 4.5 V ish. The battery is still reading 12.6v at the smart shunt when I use my voltage meter and is fully charged. I assume the update might have cause it to reset something to an incorrect voltage setting but I can’t find anything. Both main and aux batteries are 12v and I verified wiring per diagram from other posts.

hayloftllc asked

0 Answers

Issue with midpoint monitoring (SmartShunt)

Hi all,

I have a SmartShunt and 2x serial strings of 4x 6V batteries, connected in parallel, for an overall 24V.

My SmartShunt has previously been monitoring midpoint deviation flawlessly, with the alarm set to 2.0% The battery bank and SmartShunt are wired exactly as per the Victron reference https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/SmartShunt/en/midpoint-voltage-monitoring.html and diagram below.

After taking my system offline for manual battery charging of each individual battery, I am now experiencing an issue with the midpoint monitoring. This is suggestive of a wiring issue on my part given I took everything offline, however I have taken measurements and checked everything without avail. I cannot see the error of my ways.

The problem is that the SmartShunt is reporting a midpoint deviation of approximately 50%. Upon further examination, this appears to be because the SmartShunt is only seeing approx 6V on Aux and not 12V for the midpoint as you would expect. If I disconnect the Aux lead and measure the potential difference between the +ve terminal of battery 3 in either string and Aux, I see approx 12V as you would expect. However, as soon as I reconnect the Aux to this same terminal and measure the pd the value drops to 6V, which obviously is what is causing the shunt to report the 50 deviation (as it's expecting to see c. 12V).

I've been tearing my hair out for an hour over this and cannot see a mistake. I attach the Victron diagram showing the exact wiring and also a screenshot from Victron Connect of the shunt.

Any help very much welcomed please!

[image]

[image]

Tom Ranson asked
Mike Dorsett commented ·

2 Answers

Monitoring second battery bank of 2

I have a house battery and two (2) engine start batteries that are in parallel.

Installed SmartShunt. House battery connected to "Vbatt+", VictronConnect App shows data perfectly.

Connected second red cable between one engine start battery positive terminal with "Aux" (to monitor voltage of "second" battery), however, it only shows half the voltage (i.e. 7.2V, when battery actually has 14.4V). This happens when connecting either of the two engine start battery. See image of configuration.

Am I missing something in the VictronConnect configuration? Is it possible to monitor the two engine start batteries that are in parallel ?

[image]

mschmied asked
mschmied answered ·

2 Answers

SmartShunt 500A Wrong SOC - Lithium Settings?

Hi, My smart shunt's SOC is very inaccurate. Today battery was nearly charged (less than 0.5v from full chraged voltage and current was around 1A) and the shunt was reporting 50% soc (Last full charge and sync to 100% was 4 days ago). My battery is a Li-Ion 18650 build with 14s20p 20AH in total usable.

Not sure if this helps but this is my vrm share link: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/191449/share/6b42df03 maybe someone can tell whats wrong...

Also my other devices in system are:
RPI 3 Venus device
MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32
BlueSolar Charger MPPT 150/45 rev3

Here are my current settings:

[image]

xpatrik asked
xpatrik commented ·

5 Answers

Smartshunt Berechnungslogik, ginge dass nicht besser?

Hallo,

die Fachleute schlagen vermutlich die Hände über den Kopf zusammen aber mit meinem Halbwissen stellt sich mir ständig eine Frage:

Der Smartshunt verlangt von mir die Eingabe von Kapazität (die sich im Laufe der Zeit ändert), Entladungsbogen, Schweifstrom, Ladewirkungsgrad und anderen abgefahrenen Werten, die sich größtenteils mit dem Alter und der Temperatur ordentlich ändern) . Vermutlich weil die alle nie wirklich stimmen bekomme ich immer einen unbrauchbaren Ladungsstand angezeigt. Wenn ich recherchiere geht es auch sehr vielen anderen so. Daher nun meine wahrscheinlich dumme Frage, weil ich nicht erkenne, warum das nicht noch schlechter wäre:

Nach dem, was ich im Netz so finde, kann man von der Batteriespannung ziemlich gut auf den Ladezustand schließen (natürlich abhängig vom Akkutyp, den kennt aber jeder Depp, im Gegensatz zum richtigen Ladewirkungsgrad etc.). Könnte das Gerät mit der Angabe des Akkutyps und seiner Messung wie viel Strom rein oder rausgegangen und der dann herrschenden Spannung nicht solche Dinge wie Ladewirkungsgrad und sogar tatsächlich noch vorhandene Gesamzkapazität ziemlich genau berechnen und letztlich jederzeit den Ladezustand veil genauer anzeigen als jetzt (72% bei 26.9V Ruhespannung, blei). Und er hat auch schon weniger bei noch höherer Spannung angezeigt. (Ich weiß, blei ist eine blöde Idee)

Danke im voraus für jede Erhellung ;)

Lg

kg asked
kg answered ·

2 Answers

SmartShunt Missing in Action!

Hi all

I have a SmartShunt connected via VE.Direct cable to a Cerbo GX.

It has been working fine, but this evening it has disappeared from the GX touch/remote console and VRM is not showing it.

I can connect to it with VictronConnect and it looks OK, but why has it disappeared from the devices on the GX?

Thanks

Kind regards

John

johnparvic asked
bgardiner answered ·

3 Answers

DC System mit SmartShunt fehlt auf mqtt

Hallo,
ich habe meine Anlage um ein SmartShunt erweitert um DC Verbraucher anzuzeigen. Funktioniert im vrm und auf der RemoteConsole auch einwandfrei. Allerdings finde ich im MQTT wenn ich alle Topics abrufe nichts was zu den SmartShunt Daten, somit auch keine Leistung und keinen Strom vom DC System!? Kann das jemand bestätigen oder muss man das irgendwie extra aktivieren!?

Danke

florian-voit asked
florian-voit answered ·

1 Answer

Why no Torque specs from Victron on bolts on their equipment?

I bought a Smart Shunt that has "beefy" M10 bolts for the electrical connections. No where in the manual is there a torque spec for these bolts. Furthermore, a search on this forum reveals others have requested a torque value for this device and other Victron components and not gotten any official responses from the company representatives.

So, given most of these questions were asked a couple years ago I am asking again. What value should I torque these bolts to? There has to be some sort of range that is acceptable. Can anyone answer this question?

john-strein asked
Bruce Fergusson commented ·

2 Answers

Smartsolar equalisation and current from Smartshunt

Hello, I suggest to Victron to make a way that the equalization current of the smartsolar can be read by a smartshunt or a bmv via the VE smart network.

otherwise it is impossible to carry out a correct equalization phase if there are loads on the battery.

It is quite frustrating that the smartsolar can use the charging current of the smartshunt to terminate the tail current draw phase, and that it cannot do the same for the equalization phase.

for example if I set the equalization limit to 10% of the current of my smartsolar, it would be 3A (10% of 30A), but if I have 15A of loads on, the voltage will never increase because the charge controller cannot distinguish the current of the loads from that of the battery.

It would be very easy to do this since everything is already set up for the Ve Smart network.

Fra asked
Fra commented ·

1 Answer

Nach Update wird die Fahrzeugbatterie nicht mehr angezeigt, Smartshunt

VictronConnect_report-44e44356.logSeit dem letzten Update an der App, zeigt der Messhunt die Fahrzeugbatterie nicht mehr an. V2, 41 V 1,16

rolf-ziebeck asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

Confusion on SmartShunt values

Hey all, I’ve recently installed my first Victron system on an RV. Components in question here are the MultiPlus II 2x120 24V, SmartShunt, and Cerbo GX. The way I’ve set everything up, I thought should be correct, but I’m getting some odd behavior. Because it’s an RV, there is a 12V DC system in addition to the MultiPlus outputs. I have 2 batteries wired to the battery side of the shunt, and system side of the shunt goes to the MultiPlus, DC system, and all the Victron components; that is to say, absolutely no load bypasses the shunt, it should see everything. Because of the DC loads, I have the Cerbo set to “has DC system”.

When the MultiPlus is off, it appears that the shunt registers DC loads as charging the battery, not drawing from it. The little dots on the overview graphic appear moving towards the battery, and the amperage readout on the battery shows positive while on the “DC system” amps show negative.

When the generator is running and the MultiPlus is charging the battery, it seems to mostly behave normally, but the DC system amp readout will bounce between positive and negative.

I’m not sure if this is the root cause or not, but the State of Charge readout is entirely inaccurate, too. I’ve just done my first trip with this system. I had the batteries fully charged before leaving, sync’d the shunt to 100%, and left for the trip. My first night, batteries completely died, to the point nothing would power on even briefly, the 24V battery bank was registering under 10V, yet the shunt still read 82% SoC. Throughout the rest of the trip, I had low batteries at various times, setting off the alarm on the MultiPlus, etc. And the shunt would read <20V while still showing 100% SoC. It also appears this is impacting charging, as the batteries were under 20V and yet the MultiPlus was showing the charging state as “float” within 10 minutes of starting the generator.

Needless to say, I’m rather confused. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Pictures of installation for wiring purposed added below, thanks @Matthias Lange - DE

[image]

[image]

knissone asked
knissone commented ·

2 Answers

Charger and SmartShunt and Inverter current going the wrong way and miss representing SOC

I have a need to keep 120V maximum 50W of load powered in the case of a power outage and to be able to remotely monitor the SOC of the batteries. The configuration runs off of 2 x AGM 12V 100Ah batteries connected in series with a SmartShunt 500A, a Phoenix Inverter 24V 250VA 120V, a Blue Smart IP65 24V 8A charger all connected to a Raspberry Pi acting as a CerboGX.

[image]

Both the SmartShunt and the Inverter are connected to the Pi via the VE.direct to USB cable and are visible via the VictronConnect Application and VRM.

Since the Charger only has Bluetooth capability, we can not manage it remotely, but only locally which is fine. But non of the devices talk to each other over a virtual Victron wireless network like a SmartShunt can with an MPPT for example.

[image]

The problems that I am seeing are the following:

1. When looking at the inverter, it only show 0% load. That value never changes.
  2. When looking at the SOC on the SmartShunt for the batteries, they are continuously reporting as discharging even though the Charger is permanently connected and charging the batteries.
  3. In the VRM portal, the current flow is going from the batteries to the Inverter and not from the Inverter to the batteries as I would have expected it since the inverter is supposed to keep the batteries topped off when AC power is usually available.

Is this configuration simply not possible because each element do not have a way of communicating to each other?

Or is the Charger not to be connected to the negative terminal of the battery bank but needs to go through the system Negative of the SmartShunt? (I have tried that but to no difference).

[image]

The setup is available at https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installation/216745/share/97d4ba88

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

Thierry Douet asked
ludo edited ·

9 Answers

Suggestions for improving Victron Connect

hello, after 2 years of use and study I noticed fews things that Victron products can improve a lot with little effort.

1) the count of the cycles of the smartshunt and of the various models of BMV.

A cycle is only counted under 65% ..

This is incorrect in my opinion for lead acid batteries one should count a cycle even at 90% or 85%.

IN my RV the system is correctly sized, the batteries are agm for 178ah, and the photovoltaic of 450 watts.

I live in a pretty good climate and never run out of batteries below 80/85%.

So no cycle counts, apart from synchronizations.

This also leads to an inaccurate reading of the average discharge.

In fact, the average discharge is based on cycles and not on synchronizations.

In fact, I have average discharges of 25/30 ah and this is not detected, since my battery pack is 178ah and I never discharge below 65%. actually never below 80%.

2) it would be nice if the victron Connect app for the smartsolar also displays the internal temperature of the solar controller.

This temperature is certainly detected by the smartsolar but is not displayed.

3) it would be nice in the "trends" section to be able to cross the curves of 3 values and not just 2.

For example "battery voltage + battery current + soc".

it would be nice if the AH count was implemented in the historical trends of the smartshunt. Instead it is the only data that is only available in real time.

4) it is a pity that a small economic accessory is not available that records in a memory all the data of historical trends in CSV format to be exported.

The trend is only available on the App for 46 days and the possibility to save the history every 30 days (but only manually) from the smartsolar.

When I had the Epever-based system, a simple object costing 20 euros would record months of data at a time in. CSV.

I hope these suggestions can be taken into consideration, at least in part… at least the talk of battery monitor cycles.

Fra asked
Fra commented ·

0 Answers

Negative DC Loads while charging, positive while discharging (increases with load)

Before I start I want to say I've read through quite a few posts already where folks are describing negative DC loads, however I have not found anything that quite explains what's going on.

Some background on my setup: I live off-grid and run my home off our solar/battery setup. I recently switched over to a new 48V battery system I build, we have all new hardware, Multiplus II 48V, two victron charge controllers, smartshut...etc.

I see negative load on the DC side (indicating a charge coming from DC). This is odd as other than our charge controllers we have no other DC charging sources. However if we have a large AC draw (3Kw when running our well pump) DC load spikes to around 100-200W.

I'm perplexed because I never saw this on our previous system. What could be going on? Below is a schematic of our system:

[image]

During the evening (no solar input):

[image]

During the day (solar input/net positive load to battery)

[image]

I am using my own graphing system but my Venus device displays the same data as well.

hummingbear asked
hummingbear commented ·

2 Answers

Victron connect shows starter battery even though it has been set to midpoint

Hello,

My smartshunt 500a shows midpoint set aux input as starter battery. I think its a bug. Am I only the one? Latest firmware btw.

[image]

Emre asked
jperez (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

1 Answer

563 Posts
322 Users
4 Followers

Topic Experts

kevgermany
597 Points
JohnC
423 Points