lynx distributor Image

lynx distributor

When making connections in the Lynx Distributor, what to do with the 2 small red wires?

I posted the following question a while ago without receiving answers, so I'm trying again:

When making connections in the Lynx Distributor, there are 2 small wires already present on 2 of the connecting posts:

• on the negative bus bar where the ground connection is meant to go; and
  • on the second slot of the positive bus bar.

The product manual indicates to leave these small red wires in place, and more specifically to install the Mega fuse on top of the one on the positive bus bar.

I would like to double check this, as doing so means that all the current needs to go *through* the small connectors of these wires in order to reach the bus bar (or from the bus bar in the case of the positive connection). Since these are very small connectors, would it not be preferable to lift these wires, and put them back on top of, respectively, the ground and the positive connections.

(I searched the forums without being able to find information on this before posting, but I suspect I'm far from being the only person with this question. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply if you are able to do so.)

yaudet asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Lynx shunt V.E Can. Not showing in Victron Connect App?

I just swapped my 500a Smart Shunt for a Lynx shunt. I made all the connections To the Can with a good Ethernet cable. I was able to configure it in My Cerbo GX 50, but am I supposed to be able to see it in the Connect App like the smart shunt? The Cerbo definitely sees it and its reporting properly to the Cerbo GX. I have it connected to the Lynx distributor - the RJ cable ( I didn't get one with the distributer working on a replacement) I don't think this should affect it showing in the app. Attached is a screenshot of what I can see - the Shunt. The solar controller crossed off in red is not mine it's someone close to my camper. Just trying to figure if it's a missing feature in the Lynx shunt? I know it doesn't have BT connection I thought it would still give me data in the app thru the Can network.

[image]

saboken asked
saboken edited ·

2 Answers

Making Lynx Power In All Positive Bus?

On my new-to-me boat, the 3 x AGM’s House bank has multiple charging and load connections made directly onto the batteries’ positive terminals: there is no Positive bus at the House bank at all. There is at least a big Negative bus so all grounds other than a single connection to this Negative bus are kept off the batteries.

I would like to relocate almost all of the positive connections, charge and load, off the batteries. Could I modify the Lynx Power In so that its two bus-bars are both Positive, by putting a copper bar between what are normally the positive and negative ‘tabs’ at the left end of the Power In? I would then connect up to x8 positive charge and load cables to the M8 bolts and connect the House bank via a short, appropriately-sized cable to the copper bar joining the tabs (with a disconnect switch between bank and Power In).

Is there a problem with this approach? Seems like a neat and space-saving solution. All fusing would remain, as now, elsewhere (but close by).

Thanks in advance for comments.

aquabelle asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

Do I really need a Lynx distributor for my ESS?

I’m connecting 14KwH of Pylontech to a Multiplus 2 5000/70. It will act as AC charger, and my Solaredge MPPT will continue to look after the array. Why do I need a Lynx Distributor?

eamonno asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

Comment brancher le distributor 1000 au MPPT 150/45?

Bonjour, tout est dans le sujet. J'ai reçu mon installation photovoltaique et je suis en train de comprendre tous les branchements. Je me demande donc comment brancher le distributor 1000 au MPPT 150/45.

À bientôt

carole3fr asked
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

3 Answers

Lynx Distributor - small red wires

When making connections in the Lynx Distributor, there are 2 small wires already present: one on the negative bus bar where the ground connection is meant to go, and one on the second slot of the positive bus bar. The product manual indicates to leave these small red wires in place, and more specifically to install the Mega fuse on top of the one on the positive bus bar.

I would like to double check this, as doing so means that all the current needs to go *through* the small connectors of these wires in order to reach the bus bar (or from the bus bar in the case of the positive connection). It seems it would be preferable to lift these wires, and put them back on top of, respectively, the ground and positive connections.

I searched the forums without being able to find information on this, but I suspect I'm far from being the only person with this question. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply if you are able to do so.

yaudet asked

0 Answers

MultiPlus II with Pylontech stack - cable and fuse connection questions

I have a Multiplus II 10kv and a Pylontech battery stack (A/C yet to be hooked up):

[image]

This is for time-shifting grid-connected energy storage.

I bought this as a kit from Bimble Solar in the UK. The DC cables between the Lynx Distributor and Multiplus are pre-made. I don't have a crimping tool, so had to arrange the setup within the constrains of the provided cables.

For a setup of this size, the Victron recommendation was for pairs of 50mm cables for positive and neutral connections between Lynx distributor and MultiPlus, and a 400A fuse on for DC side. Pylontech 25mm extension cables were used for pairs of the US5000s, resulting in three connections into the Lynx distributor, each with a 125A fuse.

Due to supply constraints, instead of a ANL 400A fuse and a DC isolator as originally planned, this was replaced with a Mersen Multibloc Fuse/Isolator. A 400A fuse was provided for each of the two positive 50mm cable connections.

1) Two 400A fuses seems wrong. As these are arranged in parallel shouldn't these should be twin 200A fuses to meet the 400A requirement?

2) I understand the recommendation is for a 400A fuse between MultiPlus and batteries, and that this is more to protect the cabling than the equipment, but as the three 125A fuses in parallel are below this rating, couldn't I could get away without the Mersen fuse/isolator altogether and instead simply have a 400A rated Isolation switch?

3) The use of twin 50mm cables from the distributor is awkward/impossible to stack and fit into the recessed +/- connections of the Lynx. I therefore had to place them either side of the external connections of the Lynx. As these connections are now somewhat exposed I plan to cover with very large diameter heat shrink tubing. Any suggestions for how I might get the pairs of these 50mm cables to fit into the recessed connections and/or better way to cover the exposed external connections?

4) Any other comments/observations/recommendations on the setup as described?

Thanks, Paul.

Paul Beskeen asked
Paul Beskeen answered ·

3 Answers

Lynx Distributor for parallel wired smart batteries (so no Lynx shunt or BMS) no to 2nd Lynx for DC loads

I’m building a 24v overlanding system with 3x 24v 200AH ‘smart’ batteries. These batteries have internal BMS and VE.can output so no shunt or external BMS is required, they plug straight into Cerbo.

I know this is getting to the extremes for a 24v system, but the battery configuration and available space (plus my PV panels) preclude going to 48v unless I drop capacity by 1/3. The batteries have a constant power rating of 150A and a peak rating of 300a each. Expected current draw is about 300 amps (2xMultis @~100a each, plus ~80a DC-DC) but max current for each Multi is ~250 and DC-DC is ~100a, taking me outside 4/0 cable rating. My plan is to limit this using Mega fuses to each Load and to each Battery.

I’m planning on using a Lynx Distributor for connecting the batteries in parallel and then another Lynx Distributor to connect my loads (2x Multiplus 24/3000/70 in split phase, 150/85 MPPT & DC-DC 24/12) and allow me to fuse everything individually.

Wth no Lynx Shunt or Lynx BMS required, can I connect the two Lynx Distributors together and, if so, would this not be counter to the Victron (and other) wiring suggestions where you should draw the positive from the nearest battery and the negative from the furthest battery in a parallel configuration?

Should I use 4/0 cables to take the negative from the right hand (ie ‘furthest’) side of the ‘Battery’ Distributor negative bus bar to the right side busbar of the ‘Load‘ Distributor, andbthen using an equal length cable connect the left hand (‘near’) positive busbar of the Battery Distributor to the right side positive busbar of the Load Distributor, instead of connecting the 2 Distributors together?

Curtis asked
Kevin Windrem commented ·

1 Answer

Why are my batteries discharging unequally?

3 206ah heated SOK Batteries connected to Lynx Power In

All battery cables of exactly same length

Power In connected to Lynx Shunt

Lynx Shunt connected to Lynx Distributor

Aims 3000W inverter charger connected to Lynx Distributor

Batteries discharge relative to position on Lynx Power In. Small system and only one and at times 2 batteries discharge at all while 3rd battery rarely falls below 100%

jrpatroller asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

Lynx Dist with 2 strings of batteries

I currently have a single string of AGM batteries wired for 48 V. 4x12 200ah. Runs to the Lynx dist in the usual fashion with a Smart Shunt at the batteries before the Lynx. I want to add a second string of identical bats for 400ah. I have an extra connection in the Lynx. Should I run the second string to the Lynx and make my parallel connection for the two strings there? Also, would I need a second Smart Shunt for the second string since its an ESS system? What is best way to do this?

Thanks!

duswami asked
Jeff Jensen answered ·

4 Answers

Help with battery switchs for motorhome?

I am in the process of designing the system for my motorhome looking for help to configure the system disconnects. The main components:

• 4- 440W solar panels > 4 DC breakers/disconnects > 4 MPPT 100|30 > Lynx Power In
  • 8- 100Ah Lion UT-1300 > 2 - Lynx Power In
  • MultiPlus II 12 | 3000 | 120 2x120
  • Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated 12 | 12 | 30

I plan on a Battery switch on the starter battery negative terminal.

The coach system, I am planning to use a Shallco Bi-Stable Latching Relay BR-300-12-1-34 on the main negative terminal of the Lynx Power In before the Smart Shunt.

This should provide 100% battery disconnect from system. At this point the MPPT should turn off.

My question is: with the motorhome being all electric (no propane) is there any need for additional battery switches on the 12V input to MultiPlus II and/or the Solar output from the Lynx Power In?

This is my preliminary diagram

[image]

Glen Carter asked
Glen Carter answered ·

3 Answers

Adding a 2nd fusebox

Hi all. Regarding my electrical design shown here, is there any good way to add a second 12 blade fusebox without adding a 2nd Lynx Distributor? Thanks for any tips! (cable connection points in the image for planning purposes only)

EDIT: the main fusebox is next to the Lynx and the 2nd would be located some 2m away from the Lynx.

[image]

mako74 asked
mariner answered ·

1 Answer

Liaison bus bar <> sectionneur bipolaire

Bonjour,

Je vais installer un sectionneur 48v bipolaire en sortie de module Lynx.

Les barres du Lynx font 8x30mm pour 1000A, mais je ne sais pas quelle est leur matière. La boulonnerie semble être en inox.

Je pense utiliser des barres en cuivre plutôt que des câbles :
- Pas de contre indication dans le temps sur le contact cuivre <> inox ?
- 6x30mm, est-ce suffisant pour environ 200A ?

Je suis preneur de vos recommandations.

Merci d'avance.

dvb asked
dvb answered ·

2 Answers

Question sur Lynx

Bonjour à tous,

J'aimerais votre avis sur la mise en oeuvre de modules Lynx.

Mes Pylontech seront raccordées via 2 jeux de câbles pour répartir le courant.

Schéma 1

J'ai mis un sectionneur / groupe de batteries. Peut-on en mettre un seul de 400A (en pointillés) après les batteries, en entrée du Lynx power ?

J'hésite car deux simplifieraient la maintenance; qu'en pensez-vous (retour d'expérience et norme) ?

https://zupimages.net/up/22/31/g88s.jpg

Schéma 2

Ici les batteries attaquent directement les fusibles d'un Lynx Distributor pour monitorer les fusibles. Du coup j'ai mis un Lynx Power après le shunt, pour raccorder onduleur et mppt.

https://zupimages.net/up/22/31/09eq.jpg

Merci.

dvb asked
dvb answered ·

3 Answers

Lynx Distributor - all red lights for fuses with yellow power light

Hi there,

I am having some issues with my Lynx Distributor. All the fuses are marked as red and the power button is marked as orange, however my electrical equipment is still being powered. I thought initially, based on the manual that it was due to lack of power going to the positive bus bar, but like I said, everything is working fine and the battery is at the correct voltage. I even replaced one of the fuses, just in case, and that too is now red.

Is this a rare problem? I can't seem to see anything online about it. Just want to see my little green light again :)

jistjad asked
pagb answered ·

2 Answers

35 Posts
28 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
202 Points
Mike Dorsett
85 Points