setup Image

setup

Pre-Charge Issues

I am in need of some guidance regarding the steps necessary to properly pre-charge a Multiplus 3000 attached to a 24 volt battery. I have found very little credible information available regarding this topic. After having built a Victron system, I am now finding that even with the use of two different resistors, attempting to connect the battery cable results is a substantial spark. The following summarizes the steps I have taken this morning:

Connect the hot 2/0 cable to the battery.

1. Turn on the Blue Sea Systems M Series Battery switch, leaving on during the following two steps.
  2. Attach a 50 watt\25 ohm metal cased resistor to the black 2/0 battery cable, then touching the negative battery post to the resistor contact for 10-15 seconds (clicks are heard from the Multiplus, lights on the Victron shunt, distributor, Cerbo GX, and Victron Smart Solar 150\45 MPPT etc light up).
  3. Disconnect the resistor from the battery post and remove, attempt to connect the black 2/0 battery cable to the negative post.

After experiencing a substantial spark, I attempted to complete the above process using a metal 100 watt\2 ohm resistor instead, having the same results.

Can someone provide me with guidance? Am I not following the correct steps to properly pre-charge the Multiplus?

jjv asked
tk-421 commented ·

6 Answers

Is there a menu options map available anywhere for the VRM portal.

Is there a menu options map available anywhere for the VRM portal. Find it hard going to locate the required options 'live'.

newtor asked
newtor commented ·

2 Answers

Discharging instead of charging on dash: is my setup actually working? Or are these issues serious?

Hello,

I'm a newbie with a new installation in East Africa (Victron Multiplus 5KVa, Smart Solar 250/100, Venus Cerbo GX, 10 solar panels of 345W and one Weco 4k4 battery). It's fully off-grid.

There seems to be a few issues with the setup and I was hoping some here would know how to fix it, or let me know if there's nothing wrong. Any help would be really welcome, thanks!!

I had a professional install this but there seems to be mistakes in their setup (e.g. initially there was no power usage showing on the dashboard) and so I want to check that everything is in order.

1 - The charging lights on the 4k4 Weco battery always indicate that it's discharged, even fully charged:

[image]

2 - The Cerbo dashboard is showing the battery discharging when it's actually charging and vice-versa, like here:

[image]

3 - At night, the system (fridge mostly) takes 0.05KWh of power on average for around 11-12h. It starts discharging from 6pm (until then it's 99% full) and charging from 6am. But it looses 1kWh during the night and the battery is at 70% charge in then morning (6am) when the sun comes back. I'm guessing my math is wrong but can't make sense of this.

[image]

4 - Should the DVCC be activated (it is now)? I couldn't find out which settings should be used.

[image]

5 - Bonus question: how bad is it to discharge the battery to 30-40% on some nights? Should I get a second one? What happens if it goes to 0%?

Thanks a lot!!

Manu

solarmanu asked
weco-uae commented ·

11 Answers

Initial setup, 240V split. Quattro#2 isn't showing up in VC app

Hello! Phew wiring everything was a job! I hooked up 1 battery with the Quattro's in parallel and they came on as expected. I connect 1 quattro to the other with a rj45, and the next quattro to the mk3 USB controller. Only 1 quattro shows up in the VictronConnect Mac app. But if I change the state from on to off it applies to both Quattro's! I disconnected 1 at a time and each is connectable. I'm just not able to see them as 2 individual units which my vendor says is the first step in configuring the inverters to operate in 240v split mode.

Any suggestions? A jumper I'm missing or something?

Florian Mettetal asked
Florian Mettetal answered ·

3 Answers

Vorgehensweise Inebtriebnahme Victron Gerätr

Hallo zusammen,

gibt es eine bestimmte Vorgehensweise wie man die Victron Geräte in Betrieb nimmt ?

Mir ist bewusst das durch die Vielfalt von den Victron Komponenten das nicht einfach macht grundlegend eine feste Inbetriebnahme Reihenfolge festzuhalten. Aber ich denke für die ein oder andere Konstellation gibt es bestimmt eine Herangehensweise wie man die Komponenten nach und nach einrichtet.

Meine mögliche Anlage könnte sein, 3x Victron MP2 und 4x Smart MPPT 250/100, Cerbo GX

Ist das möglich ein paar Tipps oder Infos für so eine Anlage abgeben zu können.

Gruß

mactoolz asked
mactoolz commented ·

2 Answers

Setup for camper van

Hi

After hours of research I finally could manage to complete my setup for my camper van. I would be thankful if someone can review the setup and give me any tip to improve or correct the setup so it‘s done in a proper way

Components i used:

• Orion Tr 12-12/30 to charge the 100Ah Lithium battery from alternator
  • MPPT 75/15 to charge the battery from my 120Wp solar panel
  • Phoenix smart charger 1+1 30A to charge/supply the system from AC
  • Phoenix 500VA inverter for AC loads
  • BatteryProtect 65A to secure DC loads
  • smallBMS to connect all remote connectors from all components

[image]

schreda asked
Kevin Windrem answered ·

2 Answers

Right 230V charger for Lithium battery with BMS

Hi

I’m currently planning the electrical design for my camper van and it looks as follows:

• My battery is a 12V 100Ah Lithium Smart battery (LiFePO4)
  • Orion DC-DC charger is used to charge the battery from the alternator
  • MPPT 75/15 is used to charge the battery from the solar panel
  • Battery protect is used to disconnect DC Loads
  • Phoenix inverter is used for 230V loads
  • smallBMS should disconnect chargers or loads independently

Now there are two 230V chargers i could use. I already got the Phoenix IP43 230V charger, because it has an remote on/off switch which can be connected to the BMS. There is also the Blue Smart charger which can also revive dead batteries, but it has no remote on/off connection. So it would require a Cyrix-Li, if I got it right?

The question now is if my setup in general looks ok and which 230V charger fits better. I don’t really understand the differences between them except IP rating and the ability to revive dead batteries.

schreda asked
schreda edited ·

0 Answers

2 MultiPlus 2 230v into autotransformer, setting up for master unit to carry load up to set percentage and then slave make output

I am researching and and really like option on another unit, not mention here, and it allows in multiple units to assign master to carry load to a set point and then slave come on at that point. Basically slave/s sleep until load demands needed. Can MulitPlus be set up this way?

glenn-west asked
glenn-west answered ·

2 Answers

Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter 50A dead..ish

Just doing some work on a customer vehicle and updated Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter 50A and TSC Config to latest as customer was having flat starter battery issues. Now cant get it to charge second battery. Tried downgrading to TS Confid 2.2.0.0 but no different

[image]

and help would be appreciated

David Gould asked
David Gould edited ·

0 Answers

How many Pylontech US5000 are recommended from a performance perspective

Heya,

I have (is due to be installed) the following:

• 16 x Hyundai 485W HiE S485VI panels
  • 2 x Victron MPPT 250/100-Tr VE.Can
  • 1 x Victron Quattro 48/10000/140-100/100 230V VE.Bus
  • 1 x Victron Cerbo GX
  • 1 x Victron GX Touch 50
  • 1 x Victron Battery switch ON/OFF 275A
  • 1 x Victron Energy Meter ET112 - 1 phase - max 100A
  • 1 x Victron Lynx Distributor
  • 1 x Victron Lynx Shunt VE.Can
  • 3 x Pylontech US5000 batteries

What do you think about this configuration (panels will be mounted on ground facing south)?

Also what is the number of batteries recommended from a performance perspective given the above setup?

Thank you

mariusv asked
lifeingalicia answered ·

2 Answers

CT Ratio EM24 welche bedeutung?

Hallo, da mein EM24 Ethernet auf z.b. Phase eins mir auch bei 30Watt 0.6 bis 0.7 Amp. anzeigt... bin ich durch die Einstellungen mal durch..

Kann mir einer erklären was CT Ratio bedeutet?

Kann man da evtl. die Werte korrigieren?

Marco Dressel asked
lifeingalicia answered ·

1 Answer

First time setup - unsure of correct settings

I am trying to setup my equipment to achieve what I thought was not unique, however, we either get stuck in passthru, the PV charger stops or the AC input is not accepted.

I and looking to achieve:

Sun rises - PV charger start supplementing the AC in to the AC out at the same time

Once the PV charger exceeds the required AC out demand, the surplus goes to the batteries

The batteries charge and once the AC out exceeds the PV charger, it draws from the batteries

Once the batteries are discharged to a set point (i.e 49v) the AC in has 100% of the load to the AC out

The batteries will never charge from the AC in.

Should the AC in be lost, then the inverter carries on to another set-point before shutting down (i.e 48v)

I've added ESS, removed it, added hub1, removed it. No configuration I seem to work with achieves my desired result.

Has anyone got this setup and what settings do I need? I have selected NZ as the grid and am now unable to alter the grid code as I don't have the password. This also means I cannot go to default settings as that requires the same password.

[image]

james-marsh asked
james-marsh commented ·

1 Answer

Peak Shaving Setup

I have 2 Quattros, a Cerbo, & a Smartshunt. I'm integrating them into my existing system, replacing dual Trace SW4048s. The rest of the system is a 30kwh LiFePO4 battery with its own BMS, an AC-coupled PV inverter, and DC solar panels with their own Outback charge controllers. Split-phase 120/240, approved for Net Metering (my system feeds power into the grid) by my utility.

We have different $ rates for times of day: highest ('peak') rate 4pm to 9pm (16:00 to 21:00), a mid-peak 15:00 to 16:00 and 21:00 to 00:00. So the lowest $ rate is 'off-peak' which is 00:00 to 15:00.

I'll charge from the grid during off-peak, and sell any excess made by the sun during off-peak. Then I'll 'sell' to the grid (feed-in to the grid) from the batteries ONLY during peak. I want to discharge the batteries nearly completely (down to 10%) during those 5 hours of peak.

If I charge my batteries from 00:00 until 15:00, starting at 00:00, I can be certain I'll have full charge available when it is time to sell to the grid at 16:00, regardless of the weather or what loads during the day might consume power in my house during the day.

Using ESS, I see I can schedule battery charging. But what about battery selling to the grid? What setting (somewhere else in ESS? outside of ESS?) will keep the batteries full, running loads only from my solar and from the grid, during off-peak, so the batteries can then deliver their full charge during peak?

This kind of peak-shaving schedule stuff is pretty common with utility companies here in California. How do other people set this up with their Victron's?

silverfox asked

0 Answers

Setup, Balkonanlage - Auswahl BMS; Battery Protect; MPPT LR
Hi Zusammen,

mal vorab zum Konzept:
"Balkonanlage", autark ohne Netzanschluss. Soll lediglich ein wenig Saft für Wochenendspaß an unserer Gartenhütte bringen. D.h. Teichpumpe, Handy/Laptop laden, Beleuchtung und Musik.

• 4x Module Shell SQ 150-C (Gesamt 600W)
  • werden einzeln abgesichert gegen Überspannung und Blitz.
  • parallel kombiniert und an LR => angeschlossen. DER FEHLT NOCH! (Meine Idee: Victron MPPT 100/30 SmartSolar)
  • Vom LR gehts dann an die Batterie. Die Batterien, das werden 2x 12V in Reihe sein, für 24V, vermutlich AGM, AH müssen wir sehen, was wir bekommen, werden Richtung 180Ah gehen. Fehlen noch, in Arbeit.
  • von der Batterie gehts dann EVTL. an das BMS. DAS FEHLT NOCH. Hier bin ich unsicher: Es werden Blei-Batterien werden, zu Lithium finde ich viele aber BMS für Blei....nicht. Ist das überhaupt nötig bei 2 Blei Batterien? Eine einzelne Batterie gleicht sich intern ja selbst aus, aber wie ist das über 2 in Reihe? Reicht dann ein BMS, habe für unsere Zwecke eigentlich nicht vor noch einen Balancer oder so extra einzubauen? Ich hätte tendenziell schon gerne wenigstens was, das mir unkompliziert zeigt wie der Zustand der Batterien ist, um auch zu sehen, wann ich die Verbraucher lieber mal komplett runter nehme. Macht das Sinn? (Meine Idee: Smart Shunt 500A)
  • Erweiternd oder sogar alternativ zum BMS wäre auch ein Victron Energy Smart Battery Protect denkbar. Das regelt die Abschaltung von selbst nach einstellbaren schwellen.
Was haltet Ihr davon, welches Wissen kann ich von euch abgreifen? Macht das BMS Sinn, Battery Protect statt BMS oder zusätzlich, was sind eure Gedanken?

Danke und Beste Grüße

nats asked
nats commented ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 3000 General question and buzzing in float mode

Greetings,

I have installed my Multiplus in place of an older Xnatrex 2500 whose transfer relay failed. She was a good old girl but had to be put out to sea so to speak. Would have made a great anchor for a small boat! Anyway, the installation went fine and the unit is operational with updated firmware on the CCGX display and the inverter.

Question 1: if the inverter is off, all the circuits on the inverter are also off. I seem to recall on my Xantrex that when it was off the default was for the unit to pass power thru the inverter. That does not seem to be the case or did I miss something in the installation?

Question 2: With shore power on, inverter on, and it in float mode there is a low-level buzzing sound coming from the inverter. Is that normal? The unit is located in a cabinet (with vents for heat release) right outside the main solan so will be an issue trying to sleep.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

topcorner18 asked
topcorner18 answered ·

2 Answers

74 Posts
70 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

There are currently no experts identified for this topic. Can you answer questions in this topic area? Community members who provide answers that are marked as correct earn reputation and may become recognized as topic experts.