smart lithium Image

smart lithium

EasySolar GX connection with LiFePO4 Smart battery

I have a EasySolar II 24/3000/70-32 MPPT 250/70 GX and want to connect a Victron LiFePO4 Smart 25,6V 200Ah.

The EasySolar has BMS-Can (RJ-45) and VE.Bus (RJ-45) and VE.direct (4 pin), but the Smart battery has a male and female circular connector.

Is it not possible to connect directly? Do I need additional BMS device??

Bert Hennephof asked
nickdb commented ·

2 Answers

Can I parrallel the the 25.6/200 with 25.6/200-a?

So, when looking through the community, I see a couple of posts regarding this question. However, with mixed responses.

I have an existing battery bank with 3 sets of 2 (48v) with the BAT524120410 (old revision).

I want to expand this to the maximum allowed by the BMS (5 sets in parallel). The new revision seems to be the one that's the best available for purchase (also it's lighter). Can I expand my existing 3 sets of 2, by adding another 2 sets of 2 of the new revision?

The conflicted answers came from

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/102358/mixing-different-revisions-of-the-24v200ah-smart-b.html

Where someone (non-expert) mentioned, a sales rep told them it's fine.

Here, an "expert answer" said it's probably not possible.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/120459/can-you-use-smart-lithium-200-and-200a-in-parallel.html

Before I buy these (unfortunately overpriced) batteries, I'd like to know for sure I'm not going to run into issues.

Additionally, from my understanding the limit of maximum 5 sets of batteries is caused by the BMS cable signal strength, is there anyway to create a bigger battery bank? Does the Cerbo GX support multiple Smart BMS so I can multiple banks?

Marco Nijholt asked
Stefanie commented ·

1 Answer

MPPT Completes Bulk and Absorption with Zero Charge Current. Is this normal?

Hi my MPPT went through bulk and absorption cycles today while disconnected from the batteries. I am trying to determine if this is normal behaviour. I would have thought that once the batteries were reconnected bulk charging would resume.

System set up

• Two 12.8V lithium smart in series feeding 24/3000 Multi-plus operating off grid
  • 1.2kW solar PV fed through a 100/50 MPPT
  • Battery protect between the MPPT and the batteries
  • VE Bus BMS charge disconnect wired to battery protect to prevent charging due to high cell voltage or low temperature.
  • Raspberry PI using Venus SW is logging data to the VRM.

Temperature dropped to -2C overnight for the first time but warmed up to a high of +14C by 2pm

The site is 200+ km away but looking at the VRM data, I noticed the MPPT battery current remained zero throughout the morning presumably due to low temperature shutdown.

I have the MPPT absorption voltage = 28.4V and fixed absorption period of 15min.

You can see in the chart that the MPPT battery voltage reached 28.4 at 7:12am and stayed there for 15min, then dropped at 7:27am. The MPPT battery current was zero during this time. (Lower right corner of the chart below)

[image]

Here is a zoomed view of the absorption cycle:

[image]

It seems the MPPT completed its absorption cycle at 7:27am and then switched to float, without actually feeding any current to the batteries.

At 13:04 the batteries had warmed up enough for the BMS to trigger the battery protect to close the circuit and you can see the MPPT battery current begin flow, but the MPPT remained in float.

Is this normal behaviour in this situation? I would have thought that once the batteries were reconnected, bulk charging would resume.

Thanks

abegweit asked
abegweit commented ·

3 Answers

Voltage difference between battery terminals and internal Bluetooth via VictronConnect

Hello,

I bought a new Victron lithium battery 25.6V/200Ah Smart-a. When I connect to the lithium battery via VictronConnect with Bluetooth, it shows a lower voltage than the actual voltage on the battery terminals. The voltage difference is around 0.3V which I think is a too big difference.

See next photo;

[image]

I was wondering if the voltage measurements from the Bluetooth part in the battery are also used for the BMS that has yet to be connected, because then the VE.BMS will react to the wrong internal voltage measurements.

Thanks in advance

topper asked
Alexandra commented ·

3 Answers

Alternator + SmartSolar charging

I would like to simultaneously charge the LiFePo batteries in my van from both my 200w pv panel controlled with a smart solar75/15 and the alternator via an Orion 12/12. However, I’m finding that the smartsolar always goes to Float shortly after I start driving and the alternator kicks in - even with soc at 50%. Is there any way to avoid this?

Jason asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Smart BMS / Smart Lithium / MultiPlus II - Strange Spike in Charge Profile

Hi All

This may be nothing to worry about - but I have a strange spike in the charge profile - as just after Absorption - when the V is dropping down to Float. See graph -

[image]

The Amps jump us, only for a few minutes, to 11A, when they should be dropping to NIL, and the V on batteries increase to 13.35v for a short time.

There are no loads or charging sources attached. Nothing.

Anything to worry about why this happens ? It always happens on very charge.

Thoughts ?

Thanks

Tim

miya asked
miya commented ·

1 Answer

Lithium Smart update error

Hi,

Yesterday during update of LFPSmart 25.6/200 VictronConnect signalized an error due to server connection issue. Unfortunately app crashed before i got to take a screen-shot.

Now battery bluetooth isn't visible at all and BMS is frozen in error state.

BMS is SmallBMS. App is up to date. App log in attachments.

We tried:

All solutions from the troubleshooting page.

Using different phones to connect.

Replacing BMS with another unit.

Charging battery with low current as if the battery was discharged.

Best possible solution for such case is usually restarting the device, but this time it's not possible as we are struggling with the battery itself...

I'll be grateful for any ideas.

Regards

Jakub

Jakub Wszytko asked
Jakub Wszytko answered ·

1 Answer

Battery voltage not increasing/stuck while charging bulk

I'm installing a new system for a van build. Trying to do a full charge of the battery, but it seems the charging gets "stuck" (battery voltage varies ~0.1 up and down) after ~5 minutes or so. The charger stays in bulk mode. I've turned it on and off a couple of times and changed some settings, without any success.

Things I'm trying to understand:

• First of all, what can be wrong?
  • Additionally:
    • How can there be a high charge current, but a battery that isn't charging? Is it bad for the battery or charger to leave this on?
    • Is this decrease in cell voltage normal?
    • Does the setting "charged voltage" in the smartshunt have any effect on the charging process, and is 13.2 correct for a lithium battery?

What happened

Initially, the battery was 13.1v. Did a charge with the standard lithium setting. The battery got to 13.42, and stopped charging. Then went to inverter mode. The next day turned the system back on, and it went to charging in bulk again. First started noticing cell voltages didn't increase. Additionally, the battery voltage seemed too low (should go up to 14.2 right?), so I started tweaking the settings and turning the system off and on in the hope to solve it.

What I'm noticing each time:

1. Before turning it back on, the cell voltage has dropped back to ~3,34 (there are no loads connected to the system)
  2. I turn the system on, first minutes seem well, voltage is steadily increasing, the charger doesn't make a lot of noise yet, status is bulk mode
  3. After ~5 minutes the charger starts making more noise, and the battery voltage goes ~0.02 beyond the last highest voltage and then stays there.
  4. After ~20-30 minutes, battery voltage seem the be fluctuating 0.01 increase/decrease in battery cells, still bulk charging
  5. I check the charge current and voltage through the smartshunt. Voltage is 0.5 higher than battery, charge current at max 35a. The battery temp is normal (around 30 degrees Celcius)

Here are some screenshots from the battery status during one of the tests:

[image]

Components currently installed:

• Victron Smart Litium battery 330 Ah, updated to last firmware
  • Victron SmartShunt, updated to last firmware
  • Victron Multiplus 800/12/35, updated to last firmware
  • Victron VE.bus bms
  • Victron Gerbo GX

Some system images (wiring diagram at the end of page):

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Settings

Battery

[image]

Smartshunt

[image]

Multiplus

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Wiring diagram

[image]

daniel-swaab asked
Stefanie commented ·

1 Answer

When will VictronConnect on Mac support assistants?

Prior posts indicate Victron will not be making VE Configure available on Mac, and have also stated that their direction is to move the VE Configure functionality to VictronConnect.

Have just installed new Victron lithium batteries (plus VE BMS) on existing Multiplus-II/CCGX system and Assistant is required - seems like adding the Assistant this should be mainstream as all Victron gear and a common application?

andy-2xs asked
andy-2xs commented ·

3 Answers

Battery size for MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-32

I would like to confirm my thoughts on battery size for the MultiPlus II 12/3000/120-32

I am new to Victron and the Victron community. I will be doing a full Victron GX setup for a Van with Lynx Smart BMS 500, Cerbo GX, Lynx Distributor, DC to DC Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-30A and SmartSolar MPPT 100/20. With 460 Watts solar on the roof. DC to DC as the main re charge source, solar as the top up, and shore power only as a backup if needed.

I chose to go Victron and the eye watering price of Victron batteries and eco system as I wanted an off grid van system that would "look after itself". Be able to hook up Victron batteries in parallel knowing zero issues with the whole multiple batteries and BMS shutdowns etc. Finally a 3Kva rather than 2Kva so was not running the inverter to its capacity every time a large draw was used, toaster, induction and the ability when needed to run 2 large loads, like short use of roof air con (inverter air con) while being able to cook etc.

My question: I would love be able to grab a couple of 200Ah Victron Smart batteries for a 400Ah system, a 3rd battery later for 600Ah.

But looking at the max current draw on the 200Ah Victron smart battery, MAX does say 400Ah BUT recommended max says < 200ah. ( 200Ah x 12V = 2,400 Watts)

This means with the 3,000 watt Multiplus II max performance of 3,000watts, the recommended max battery draw is a good 600 Watts below inverter capacity. If we were using the system to its full capacity of 3,000 watts thats a 250 Amp draw on the batteries. Within max battery draw but above the recommended 200Ah draw.

If we were running the roof air con Dometic IBIS 4 ( for short periods on low) by itself its a max draw of 1,600 watts, 600-900 watts on low, and why I was looking at a 3Kva inverter rather than the 2Kva. Didn't want to be in the scenario where your limited to one big draw appliance and no capacity left.

Therefore I though that to allow full use of the MultiPlus II, I have no choice but to use the Victron 300Ah or 300Ah - leaning to the 330Ah as its 20kg lighter and smaller in size.

Am I being too OCD going with the 330Ah battery ? or would 2 or 3 200Ah be fine with the view that up to 2,400 Watts inverter power would be within the 80% normal usage and 2,400 - 3,000 watts (250 Amp draw which is 50 amps above battery recommenced but within the max 400Ah ) would be a 20% use case for a few hours at a time occasionally.

Russell Brown asked
Russell Brown commented ·

2 Answers

BMV relay controlling charge sources based on SOC? Victron lithium system.

I'm working on a customers narrowboat in the UK which has had a Victron lithium system fitted by another installer a few months ago. I've attached the orginal installers diagram which is how it's all been installed.

I've been asked to sort out alternator charging - Removing the CL 12/100 (which doesn't work and installer saying the latest version isn't like previous ones they used) and fitting a Mastervolt Alpha Pro external regulator to the Beta 43 175A alternator (using BMS charge disconnect signal to control).

I'm questioning how the state of charge relay is being used to break the Charge Disconnect signal from the VE.Bus BMS. As soon as the BMV hits 100% the allow to charge signal is broken and turns solar and alternator charging off so there's no real length of time in absorption. The cells in the 3* 160AH Smarth Lithium batteries are balanced according to the app.

Is it recommended that the BMV relay be used like this? Can't see it on any of the official schematics.. edit.. just spotted this one here https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/DS-Lucians-Victron-Van-Automotive-Alternator.pdf

Wonder what other people think and if there's an official recommendation?

1. I could leave BMV relay as it is controlling the Mastervolt Alpha Pro and SmartSolar.

2. BMV relay just controlling Alpha Pro. Smartsolar left with standard lithium profile with fixed absorption time to ensure cell balancing.

3. Remove the BMV relay control completely.

Thanks for any advice, Ed

[image]

MatildaSchematic.jpg

fc-marine asked
fc-marine edited ·

0 Answers

Smart BMS CL 12-100 only giving 4-6A

Just plugged my new Smart BMS CL 12-100 with a 80A fuse however the device is only giving an output to the LiFePo4 battery bank of 4-6A maximum when running the engine. The state of charge of the battery is 80% and it is at 13.3v -120Ah (it’s a 600Ah battery bank).

When I plug the solar (MPPT) it is giving way more than that amount of Amps so clearly the system wants to take charge.

Any advise?

Entire system is Victron except solar panels

sv-the-dream asked

0 Answers

Is VE.bms+Cerbo GX+Multiplus+SmartSolar MPPT enough for a Li battery with only AC loads?

I am trying to build a battery backup for some AC loads that can also be powered by solar.

The system schematic is attached.

I'm trying to verify that battery protection would function in this system, as the Cerbo would be in control of both MPPTs and the Multiplus using DVCC (and therefore nothing needs to be attached to the charge disconnect of the BMS). As I understand it, I would need to configure this as an ESS system.

Am I correct in understanding that it is impossible to combine Multiplus+battery+MPPT without a Cerbo if I wish to power loads from solar when available, grid when solar not available?

[image]

kaarliskr asked

0 Answers

Last Full Charge Unknown

My Victron Smart Lithium 200Ah 12v battery says “Last Full Charge Unknown” and “Cell Status Unknown”

My whole system is new, and I’m not convinced it has correct SOC. The system from first connection believed the battery is at 100% extremely quickly.

It is DVCC.

Lynx Smart BMS and Distributer, Multiplus 12/800/35, MPPTs, CerboGX, Orion DC DC,

The Multiplus goes into Absorbtion very quickly, but then never goes to float.

Any ideas?

[image]

sweyn asked
Stefanie commented ·

1 Answer

New Lithium Smart Bank Commissioning. Watts Charged Lower Then Expected

Hello,

Making progress on a new installation of Multiplus 12/3000 + Lynx BMS + Lithium Smart Batteries (4).

I did my first set of load testing and got the bank from full charge down to 80%. When I provided AC shore power back to the Multiplus I only say about 1.2kW of charge current which then tapered down. See graph below showing the start of inverter test and back to charge.

The Multiplus is set to max 30A AC1 inlet

The Lynx BMS is set for

• Battery Capacity 330A
  • # of Batteries in Parallel 4

I was expecting the Multiplus to have a larger charge current to the battery bank.

Anyone know what the max watts a Multiplus 12/3000 can generate on the charging side? The data sheet was unclear.

Could this be something the BMS is dictating through DCVV because I thought it only set the voltage settings.

Cheers,

-R

[image]

murphy-r asked
Stefanie commented ·

8 Answers

Followers

21 Posts
18 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Stefanie