question

littleyellow avatar image
littleyellow asked

Phoenix 12/50 Charger output limits

Hi,

The IP43 model explicitly states "Smart IP43 Charger (3): three full current outputs to charge 3 battery banks. Each output can supply the full rated output current. But the total of the 3 outputs combined can never exceed the current rating of the charger."

While the non IP43 (big form factor) says: "Two full rated outputs and one 4 Amp output."

I am interested in the concurrent output rating of the Phoenix 12/50 (non IP43) charger. Can it charge two batteries at 50 amps at the same time?

Thanks

FYI: I have 2 AGM 250ah starter/house batteries. One for each engine where half the dc panel is from one and half from the other. I really do not want to let the starting get jeopardized. I am looking to migrate to the Cerbo GX ecosystem for remote monitoring and onboard status as I plan to add a lithium ion house bank to drive the AC panel in the near future (planning to use a Multiplus 2). I think I need 50amp concurrent to get the AGM charged up at a decent rate. The Phoenix 12/50 does not really tie into the GX ecosystem so I will add smart shunts during the upgrade to keep track of the batteries. The unit that died is a Mastervolt 12/100. Since the Phoenix (big form factor) does not have GX connectivity other manufactures are an option. I would need 2 IP43 to get 50 amp per battery but would get the connectivity for remote health and control.

cerbo gxchargerPhoenix Smart Charger ip43
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The output rating in the title tells you the maximum output of the charger - a 12/50 charger can't charge two banks at 50A at the same time: that would be a 12/100 charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Chargers.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Cerbo GX product page

GX family product range

Cerbo GX & GX Touch datasheet

Cerbo GX Manual

Venus root access document

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic