question

jonathanv avatar image
jonathanv asked

Battery Protect charge disconnect - over voltage from charger

I have wired a Smart BP 220 as charge disconnect for my LFP batteries as per the Victron manual. It has a Phoenix Smart IP43 50A charger and two 100/30 Smart Solar MPPTs feeding into the In side. My issue is that if I disconnect the load output while the charger is active, it's output voltage will rise close to and sometimes over 16 volts and the BP will then not always allow reengaging as it is in Over Voltage protection (16v).

I have noticed that if I have the charger leave the VE Network (with a BMV 712 and Smart Battery Sense), the charge voltage will drop to 13.8 volts.

What should I do to ensure that if the BMS disconnects the charge BP, it then later will be able to reengage and not get stuck in over voltage protection, while preferably also still being part of the VE Network? Is there a way to set a max voltage out on the charger?

Lithium BatteryBattery ProtectPhoenix Smart Charger ip43
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvas avatar image
mvas answered ·

Are you saying that your Phoenix Smart IP43 50 amp charger, continues to charge the LFP battery up to 16 volts? What are your charge voltage settings for Bulk, Abs & Float? Which charge "mode" is allowing 16 volts? How many amps are flowing when it goes above ~14.4 volts?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonathanv avatar image jonathanv commented ·

What I mean is that if the Battery Protect disconnects the charger (for whatever reason, be it manually or remotely through the BMS) the voltage on the charger output spikes to 16+ volts. The Battery Protect then wont allow it to reconnect as it goes into overvoltage protection. I have to physically turn of the mains power to the charger before I can reconnect the Pattery Protect and then turn the charger back on.

0 Likes 0 ·
stu-co avatar image
stu-co answered ·

Hi, did you end up finding a solution to this or getting to the bottom of it? I suspect I'm suffering from a similar situation. I find it strange that the BMS is disconnecting the chargers in the first place but this might be due to a fault charger.

1 comment
2 |3000

jonathanv avatar image jonathanv commented ·

The only solution for me was to keep the charger out of the VE Network. My suspicion is that when the Battery Protect disconnects, it still sees the voltage sense from the Smart Battery Sense and then raises the voltage to keep it charging, not knowing it is no longer connected. Without the VE Network, it doesn't know the battery voltage and therefore stops charging.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BatteryProtect product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic