battery bms Image

battery bms

This topic has been merged into BMS . Please use BMS when editing or creating new content.

Parallel connection of two Smart BMS CL 12-100

Any guidance on parallel connection of two Smart BMS CL 12-100? I have attempted it with 125A fuse in both, hoping to achieve 2 x 100A charging. I achieve 94A charging with a single BMS, but when I turn on the second it only adds an additional 42A for a total of 136A. I know the batteries will accept more, because I charged from my MutiPlus + 1 BMS @ 170A and MultiPlus + 2 BMS @ 192A. In all tests above the alternator voltage was 14.2 and lithium voltage was 13.6 (48% SOC). I have 2 x 250A alternators for total of 500A alternator capacity.

Any reason I am not able to achieve 200A charging with 2 Smart BMS CL 12-100?

PS: I have the first BMS configured as the nominal BMS with normal battery communication cables, and the second with a null extension cable on the battery communication terminals.

ncarney asked

0 Answers

Lynx Smart BMS-500 & CerboGX VRM visibility

Hi all,

I have a new system that includes Victron Lithium batteries, Lynx Smart BMS-500, Lynx distributors and a CerboGX connected to VRM.

How come I cannot see details from the BMS-500, the distributors and/or the lithium BTV's in VRM? Is that due to the recent release of the BMS-500 and it might follow in future releases in VenosOS or should I expect that this will never be visible in VRM?

br,

goldrush asked
Stefanie answered ·

1 Answer

Inrush current Quattro 230V 48/10000VA for BMS dimensioning

Hi!

I am currently looking to build or buy a battery pack for my old Quattro 230V 48/10000VA unit. Talking to some manufacturers they are a bit hesitant to recommend battery packs due to the fact that the Quattro apparently have a quite high inrush current due to the large inductor/capacitor inside the unit. They are a bit vague on it, but are recommending me mush larger battery packs than what i want at this point.

Are there any recommendations regarding what peak inrush currents I can expect with the Quattro 10000 VA unit ? I guess that I will need to find a BMS with sufficient inrush rating based on that.

Or is a precharge recommended/needed when using the Quattro 10000VA together with lithium packs with BMS ?

jontm asked
iand edited ·

2 Answers

Smart BMS 12/200

In the manual it says you can connect a charger to the System+ port, in my setup it does not charge.

Loads connected to the System+ port are working.

What is wrong?

Peter Buijs - NL asked
bathnm commented ·

1 Answer

lynx smart BMS - error in manual

[image]

FYI : error in lynx smart BMS manual page 18

details attached

sunnycoastgreg asked
sunnycoastgreg answered ·

3 Answers

lynx BMS with smart lithium MPII configuration

I have a question about the multiplus config when used with a lynx BMS and smart lithium batteries. I changed the battery type to "smart lithium with VE Bus BMS" and once doing that, I got all kinds of errors on my GX device. the errors would go away if I unplugged either the MPII or the BMS from the cerbo but the config did not like having both connected at he same time. My assumption is that the lynx is not technically a VE bus BMS but actually a VE Can bms so having the "configured for VE Bus BMS" box checked was causing issues. After changing the battery type to lithium batteries the errors went away. I am wanting to know if my assumption is correct and lithium is the option that needs to be checked or if it should work under my previous configuration?

Matthew Shea asked
Stefanie edited ·

2 Answers

Smart BMS 12/200 with Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70

I have a setup with a Multiplus 12/1600/70 and a Smart Solar 100/30 MPPT which I am planning to convert to lithium using Smart Lithium batteries and a Smart BMS 12/200. My question is about the System+ port on the Smart BMS. The documentation is unclear about how use the System port, and where charge sources should be connected. The manual shows the following two setups, which would seem to contradict each other. Which is correct? If I connect the charge sources to the System+ port, do I need to connect the load disconnect to the charge sources, or will the System+ port handle the load disconnect?

In the appendix, the manual says:

"If These MultiPlus models are not connected directly to the System+ port, they can also be controlled from the Load Disconnect and Charge Disconnect outputs by using the Smart BMS CL 12/100 to MultiPlus cable"

It is unclear in the manual which setup one should choose or what the benefits and drawbacks of each are. It is also unclear whether I can connect other charge sources such as the MPPT to the System+ port with no load disconnect. This is important as my MPPT does not have a remote disconnect port, and the VE.Direct port is already connected to a Cerbo GX.

Manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Smart_BMS_12-200/en/system-examples---smart-bms.html

Example 1 - Multiplus connected to System+ port, no remote disconnect:

[image]

Example 2 - Multiplus connected to batteries w/remote load disconnect

[image]

douglane asked
douglane commented ·

2 Answers

ESS assistant with two-signal BMS support

Hello,

I have a problem with the two-signal BMS support in the ESS assistant.
The two-signal BMS support is described very simple and clear in this document:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Connecting-other-lithium-battery-systems-to-Multis-and-Quattros-EN.pdf

One signal input is used to allow charging/disable charging and the other input is used to allow discharging/disable discharging.

I selected "Disable charger" on the high-cell/battery full condition. When the BMS activates the input of the Multi, the CCGX shows "ESS #3", which means "BMS disabled charging". But the problem is, that the charger AND the inverter stop working in this case. This doesn't make sense in my opinion, because the battery is full and cannot be discharged, because the inverter is also disabled. So the system locks itself and remains in this state and cannot leave this state.
Then I switched the "Battery full"-input manually and could reproduce this behaviour as long as I wanted: The Multi is in inverter mode and discharging the battery. Then I activate the input and the inverter stops immediately. Then I deactivate the input again and the inverter starts again with discharging the battery.

When I select "Force to float" on the high-cell/battery full condition, the inverter is not affected and not disabled in this case. So this seems to work fine.

The "Battery empty"-input also works fine and only switches off the inverter, whereas the charger is not affected and still works.

I found an entry with the same problem form last year here:
https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/18191/ess-with-2-wire-bms.html
In the first answer from May 27 '19 dunno describes the same problem, which I also observe with the option "Disable charger" on the high-cell/battery full condition, but there is now answer to his question.

Can someone help of the Victron team?

Best regards
Tim

tim84 asked
Paul answered ·

4 Answers

Multiple Pylontech Banks connected to cerbo

Can I use the two BMS ports for two separate Pylontech banks and then connect a third bank of Pylontech for a third a bank on the CAN-bus? Will I still have full communication between battery and GX with normal operation?

jaqibar asked
marc-1 answered ·

2 Answers

Buck boost on/off via ATC-signal from Lynx Smart BMS - yes or no?

Hi Community

I have the following setup to charge my Smart Lithium Batteries while driving my van:

• Buck-boost switches on via vibration sensor
  • Charge is applied to Lynx Distributor positive bar (from which also all DC-loads are powered)
  • Smart Lynx BMS connected to Lynx Distributor
  • Batteries (2x200Ah in parallel) connected to Smart Lynx BMS

Now, during winter, the batteries are regularly too cold to charge and Smart Lynx BMS shows "Not allowed to charge".

Usually, I check the situation before I start the van and keep the BMS in Standby mode if Victron Connect App for the batteries shows low temp alarm (i.e. main contactor is open, so batteries are disconnected).

Recently, I had the BMS in operation while parking so the contactor was closed, and when I turned on the engine and the Buck Boost switched through for charging, the BMS opened the contactor due to "Not allowed to charge", thus disconnecting the batteries AND, as charge voltage still reaches the Distributor, all my DC-appliances still work while driving (e.g. lights, USB-chargers and the audio system.)

My questions are the following:

1) Are there any reasons to not use the buck-boost & BMS-auto-disconnect at low battery temps in the way explained above while driving?

2) If this should not be used in that way (according to answer with some reasons under 1)...), there seem to be several ways to prevent the Buck Boost from becoming operational in such situations e.g. not using vibration sensor but Pin 1 with e.g. input for the ATC-signal from the BMS. In the "help-text" in TSConfig point 50 states "Attention, when using pin 1 as an input, connect a 1k-10k resistor in series.

• Is this really needed for the ATC-signal coming from the Smart Lynx BMS (I recall reading somewhere it's 1,5A only...)?

Thanks for reply and explanations. If a resistor is needed on Pin1, it would be also helpful with a link where to purchase an applicable such (I do not find "range"-specific resistors and only such that are intended for circuitboard welding).

Ingo

Ingo Pfeiffer asked

0 Answers

Lynx BMS - GX Not going into float ( kinda)

Hello ,

My set up , i have just finished my install and have run into a few bugs/ settings i cant figure out . I

3 x 200 li smart

Lynx smart BMS,

multiplus 5 kw

several lynx distro's and smart battery protects.

Firmware on all devices is currentI have read all the manuals both the GX and Lynx bms. DVCC is forced on .

The BMS is working well, I was super impressed it balanced the batteries on the first charge. when you start charging the GX displays as it should , bulk then goes to Absorbtion at the correct voltages. What is weird is that it will go to a float voltage of 27.2 and float but not indicated float on the GX or the lights on teh multi.

[image]

[image]

[image]

the GX is showing the status of the Mulit not what the status of whet the BMS is doing.

Have i missed something here?

Thanks

gringosailingexpeditions asked
sv-drumbeat commented ·

3 Answers

BYD Premium LVL 15.4 - weird approaching to 100% SOC while charging

Hi (and a happy new year, of course),

running 2 of the BYD Premium LVL 15.4 in a 3P config with MultiPlus II 5000 shows weird characteristics while approaching the 100% SOC - after updating to the latest BYD battery firmware levels. While charging (with relatively low current 10-20A) below 100% SOC all looks fine (max Voltage (CVL) 58.4V max Charge Limit (CCL) 468A) - once running at 99% for a while - so shortly before reaching the 100% - the max charge voltage (CVL) abruptly dropped to 56.9V (CCL to 0A) and the Inverters start to discharge with >160A for about 10-20 sec before start charging (low charge current) again. This hasn't been observed with previous BYD firmware levels and the same levels on the MPII and Venus. This happens now during all charging cycles reaching 100%, no exception. Is there any mitigation/workaround going back to a smooth approaching the 100% SOC ? Looking more at the nasty details i also saw that charging (~5A) continous at 100% SOC level while the BYD BMU reports a max charge (CCL) of 0A, the voltage is still below CVL - is that Ok ? Is the voltage level the important one and the mac current (CCL) could be ignored ? just to be sure the batteries staying healthy ;-)

best regards,

Martin

martghh asked
martghh commented ·

1 Answer

Current Limiting with Smart BMS 12/200

I am researching a Lithium install using the Smart BMS 12/200. The documentation states that, "the input current is electronically limited to approximately 90% of the fuse rating". How is this accomplished? It almost implies that it somehow senses the fuse rating, but I can't see how that's possible.

There seems to be zero documentation on the configuration options available via bluetooth, so I can't figure out if that setting is in the app.

douglane asked
douglane commented ·

1 Answer

VE. Bus BMS with two (or more) Inverter/Charger’s

When using the BMS VE Bus and having two or more Multi’s or Quattro’s within the system has someone got an easy solution to turn off the 2nd Multi or Quattro in an overcharge or in a discharge situation considering the first Multi or Quattro is already connected to the BMS RJ45 input/output to shut it down on either situation.

The only way I can think of is using a inverting on/off cable connected to 2 relays in series that are fed from the charge and load outputs from the BMS.

Adam Robb asked
Adam Robb commented ·

1 Answer

VE bus bms charge disconnect output

I was expecting to be able to control a relay with the charge disconnect output from the BMS, but the output seems to be some kind of logic rather than a straight on or off. Will the victron on-off non-inverting remote cable turn it into a simple on/off that I can control a relay with?

charlie-pank asked
charlie-pank commented ·

1 Answer

Lynx smart BMS and Balmar 621

Good morning,having purchased the entire Victron system( - 2 Lifepo 200Ah 24 v -,Multiplus II 24-5000 120,- Lynx Distributor 1000 -Lynx Smart BMS Cerbo GX,-GX Touch 50 - MPPT 75-15 and smart battery protect between MPPT and load bar, question is how to protect my Balmar 621-24v-70A with external regulator MC 624 from current spikes in case of sudden battery disconnection from the system during alternator spinning

Thasnks Giulio

giulio asked
Johan Ohrstedt edited ·

1 Answer

VE.Bus BMS with non VE.Bus Phoenix Multiplus

I have a VE.Bus BMS and a very old Phoenix Multiplus inverter charger that doesn't have VE.Bus.

My concern is:

- how can the VE.Bus turn off the charger to protect the batteries against overvoltage when charging?

- Can I put a battery-protect in-between the phoenix and the batteries?

- Will the charger be damaged if the BMS disconnects the batteries via the battery-protect mid-charge?

- Are there any other options?

charlie-pank asked
charlie-pank answered ·

5 Answers

using GX tank 140 to monitor DIY battery cells?

Hello community,

I just wonder if one could use a GX tank 140 connected to a cerbo to monitor single cells of a DIY battery.

In details:

I have a battery made of 4x EVE LF280 cells, currently protected by a Daly BMS. The dbus-serialbattery driver is working fine but the meassured values by the BMS seams to be not very accurate, even it's not able to meassure current <1A.

[image]

The 33W AC load should include the self consumption of the inverter, right?

BMS is showing 46W output. I would expect to see 13W going to DC (cerbo+router+idle MPPT)

My idea is to replace the current/SOC monitoring of theDaly BMS by a SmartShunt.

So far so good but how to monitor single battery cells?

A GX tank 140 can meassure voltage, right?

So, why not confiure four voltage based tank levels with an input range of 0-5 Volts, representing four 500l tanks. Each liter will then represent 0.01V.

Does that makes any sense? Will it work like this?

Apprechiating your opinions.

Cheers,

luphi

luphi asked
luphi edited ·

2 Answers

Pylontech UP2500 100% charged but staying in absorbtion

Hey guys,

I have recently installed 2x Pylontech UP2500 batteries, Multi-Plus-II, Smart Solar MPPT 150/100 & Cerbo GX.

I am currently in the process of cell balancing the batteries. I am charging them through the Multi at the moment due to PV array not installed yet. I am balancing them individually.

I have set the current to 1A and have slowly been increasing the voltage up from 27.5v which has worked to get the battery to 100% charged. I should note that I have been changing the charge settings using Victron Connect with DVCC turned off on my Cerbo GX. The reason I am doing it like this is because that is the only way I can control the voltage due to my DVCC settings not having the "Maximum charge voltage" control option (Firmware is up to date). And to my understanding, If I turn DVCC on, the voltage adjustments I make in Victron Connect will have no effect and be overridden by the Pylontech BMS.

Anyway, once the battery had hit 100% charged, it stayed in absorption for another 20 minutes or so before giving me the high voltage alarm. Shouldn't the Multi have gone into float mode well before this?

Sorry for the ramble on but I have 3 main questions:

1. Shouldn't the Multi-Plus go into Float mode before the SoC reaches 100%? Or at least once it hits 100%?

2. It's my understanding that the best way to balance LiFePo4 batteries is to get them fully charged and them keep them fully charged for a little while to help balance them, then the high voltage alarms should go away in future charges. Is this right? If so how long are you supposed to leave them fully charged?

3. My first battery is 100% SoC. Can I call this battery charged for the sake of this exercise or should I be leaving it hooked up to the Multi and lowering that voltage again until it goes into float mode?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Brandon asked
Brandon commented ·

3 Answers

Two quattro's in parallel and 3-multiplus in 3-phase

Hi,

I have 2x Quattro (2x15000) in parallel and would like to install 3x Multiplus 5000 in 3-phase.

This to seperate my house (Connected to the Quattro) and my utility shop (3-phase mulitplus).

Can I connect these two setups to the same battery pack (BYD BMS lithium)?

Can anyone give me some advise if this is possible or not?

Thank you

jean-paul-1 asked
Alexandra edited ·

1 Answer

Charging LiFePO4 with Alternator and Diode

Hello,
I have an existing system with a starter battery (12V AGM 100Ah), a bow thuster battery (12V AGM 280Ah) and a new service battery bank (12V LiFePO4 560Ah with REC Smart BMS). Additionally this will be charged via Victron Multiplus using shore power or a VICTRON MPPT solar charge controller (only for the service battery bank) or it all can be charged by an alternator, which is connected via a diode (VICTRON ARGOFET 200-3) to all three batteries.

The old system was quite simple as usual in yachts, as the alternator just charges as the service battery tells him, how much more can be charged.

Now with LiFePO4 I read this should be charged via DC-DC charger from the starter battery.

Is this really necessary or cannot the ARGOFET still make sure the LiFePO4 batteries are charged by the alternator, especially since the SmartBMS will shut down the loading process, as soon as there is bad voltage/current coming to the system?

DC-DC chargers only deliver up to 30A and charging a 560Ah battery bank from a 100Ah starter battery seems unlogical, especially using a 130Ah alternator.

Is there something to make sure, if I want to charge the LiFePO4 directly from the ARGOFET?

Thanks for the feedback...

-Marcus

Marcus asked
bathnm commented ·

5 Answers

Orion-Tr Smart, VE.Direct and integration with GX devices?

Hey there, as I commented on the blog post,

"I'm curious if future versions will have VE.Direct or some sort of integration like that with GX devices? Currently, it seems that the MPPT and MultiPlus are able to coordinate their total charge rate with external BMS via the GX devices. But it seems that the Orion-Tr does not participate in this?"

I'm wondering if there's a way to integrate the Orion-Tr Smart chargers with the CCGX. In particular, as far as I understand, GX devices can coordinate with external BMS via CANBus to determine the charging parameters of a battery. It seems that the Victron MPPT and Victron MultiPlus can respect these limits via VE.Direct and VE.Bus respectively, which is great and a big reason why I bought this BMS and the suite of Victron product.

Now I'm considering purchasing Orion-Tr Smart chargers, however I noticed that they don't have any VE.Direct connectivity, or any other VE connectivity aside from the Bluetooth one. Is something like VE.Direct, VE.Bus or VE.Can planned? Will Orion-Tr Smart chargers integrate with GX devices?

aybabtme asked
bathnm commented ·

15 Answers

REC Active settings for "Main Relay" and "Charge Optocoupler"

I am setting up a REC Active BMS with Victron integration.

I will use CAN bus to control the charge and discharge profiles, but I'm also connecting a master cut-off contactor.

The documentation for the REC HV and LV diconnect commands and associated switches are not perfectly clear to me.

I believe the setting CMAX (and MAXH) controls the Charge Optocoupler (pin 14 and 15), and CMIN (and MINH) the Main Relay (pin 4&5).

I also have a question regarding setting STRN (number of inverter devices on the bus). What is the definition of an Inverter here - just the Multiplus or also the Solar controllers. The reason I'm asking is to understand the max charge/discharge (MAXC and MAXD) current setting.

REC list this as max per inverter device, so having a Multiplus as well as two Solar controllers one can end up allowing to much current if the setting is "per inverter"

Appreciate any help

PS

calypsosea asked

0 Answers

Will the BMS cut off low temperature charge from MPPT to lithium Batteries

I have seen what appears to be two contradictory answers to this question - can someone give me a definitive answer ? Thanks

[image]

[image]

This is my system .....if the BMS does not control low temperature cut off - I think I can connect the temperature on the Smart Shunt and the MPPT should receive temperature, along with Current and voltage on my VE. Smart Network?

[image]

Michael Ziegler asked
Michael Ziegler commented ·

1 Answer

Comment connaitre la quantité d'energie (Kwh) transitant par les batteries ?

Bonjour,

Dans la cadre d'une utilisation domotique, je récupère un certain nombres d'informations sur Home assistant via Modbus. Je souhaiterai récupérer les quantités d'énergie stockées et déstockées bar les batteries (en kWh, en Wh, ..., je connais déjà les puissances "instantanées" de charge et décharge en W)). Ces informations sont à priori disponibles mais pas avec le Bus-can.

Pouvez vous me confirmer, comme je l'ai lu sur le forum anglais, qu'il est possible d'installer un SmartShunt de le connecter en Ve.direct, de récupérer les informations sur les flux d’énergie mais de ne pas l'utiliser comme BMS ?

Existe-il un autre moyen d'accéder à ces informations ?

Ma configuration

• Multiplus II 5000
  • Cerbo gx
  • Batteries pylontech

Merci,

grichka asked
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

1 Answer

EMUS BMS integration to the Color Control GX

Hello,

I want to install a 48V LiFePO4 Battery system with an EMUS BMS, if I connect the EMUS BMS to the CCGX do I still need a BMV in order the monitor my battery on the CCGX?

Thanks in advance

kai-behrends asked
arghhh40k commented ·

1 Answer

Victron monitoring solutions with 3rd party BMS integration ?

Hi Forum. Thanks to previous posters as it helped me to find the names of some BMS manufacturers with interesting products. Towards that end, I'm probably going to purchase the Orion BMS to use with a Victron monitoring solution that also includes Victron solar controller, inverter/charger, DC-DC converter, etc. Is this any integration possible ( out of the box or with programming ) that can utilize the CAN interface available in both Orion and Victron ? If with some programming then I would enjoy seeing any examples of something on Venus that allowed for use of CAN node not previously possible.

Thanks, Sven

sven-nurber asked
arghhh40k answered ·

3 Answers

What are the correct settings for Lynx BMS setup with 10 Victron 24v batteries?

We installed 10 24v Victron batteries and the Victron dealer did the initial setup. They set the Lynx BMS…settings…total AH 200….batteries 1. Is this correct? Or should it be 2000AH and 10 batteries?

Alec Thyrre asked
Alec Thyrre commented ·

1 Answer

Why do my lynx distributors not show up in VRM, and why does only one show in Victron connect?

Neither of my Lynx Distributors show up within the VRM, and only one shows fuse statuses etc within the Victron connect app.

Have checked RJ45 cables and swapped them around, its not a fault with the cables.

Also does anyone know why the bluetooth connection to teh VC app is so much weaker on the Lynx BMS and Distributors, compared with the Orion, Battery Protect and LIfepo4 smart batteries?

also any way of having the Lynx BMS and Distributors show up in VRM on CGCX or portal (as a widget)

Im tempted to remove colour controller and replace with an old iphone displaying the VC APP, at least then everything is visible with correct Icon! (aside from aforementioned Lyns Distributors)

Thanks.

W

will-bunce asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

2 Answers

lynx Smart BMS shows different current value - Clamp Meter (-20%)

The clamp Meter shows 120A and the Lynx Smart BMS 500 shows 100A.

The Only Load is the Quattro. When i measure the current with a clamp meter the value is about 20% higher and is more realistic with the actual consumption of the Quattro (using a heater for testing.)

Is there a possibility for a ZERO Current Calibration like in BMV menues ?

martin-fi asked
martin-fi answered ·

2 Answers

585 Posts
55 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

enodev
0 Points